Project GRID Race Driver 3 (Project Cars 3)

Codies bought SMS for whatever's next. I'm fairly convinced they rushed this and F+F out the door to fulfil contractual obligations to Namco (neither are Codies published).

Which does mean, anyone hoping for more than the most cursory patch support could well be disappointed.

My guess is still a more sim version of Grid (ala Dirt v Rally).  But I'd be surprised if the SMS name appears on another game.

45 minutes ago, Dudley said:

My guess is still a more sim version of Grid (ala Dirt v Rally).  But I'd be surprised if the SMS name appears on another game.

Possibly, I’m surprised that Codies didn’t pick up the British Touring Car licence and resurrect TOCA. I’d have thought the licence would have been relatively cheap and fairly quick to develop off the back of PCars to test the market.

9 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Possibly, I’m surprised that Codies didn’t pick up the British Touring Car licence and resurrect TOCA. I’d have thought the licence would have been relatively cheap and fairly quick to develop off the back of PCars to test the market.

https://www.autosport.com/netw/news/150901/motorsport-games-announces-new-btcc-game

Codemasters vets are involved, the Creative Director is from Dirt Rally.

5 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I would sell my mother-in-law for a new TOCA / DTM game. I loved the old Race Driver series!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/08/2020 at 17:35, mexos said:

Ok, to be honest I will probably play this... when it's £15.

...In a few weeks.

Getting close! 
35C80FC1-0930-4FDC-9DE7-C8F5B0364DD8.thumb.jpeg.716e0233c04a593155faf008858dd677.jpeg

Anyone still playing this? Curious to hear what it’s like now. GT7 is still miles off so I’m tempted to dip a toe.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

Getting close! 
35C80FC1-0930-4FDC-9DE7-C8F5B0364DD8.thumb.jpeg.716e0233c04a593155faf008858dd677.jpeg

Anyone still playing this? Curious to hear what it’s like now. GT7 is still miles off so I’m tempted to dip a toe.

Tempted myself. But then I realise I need to train on GT Sport to get better for the MNRC :)

i only got it recently when it dropped to that price, in some ways it's exactly what i wanted, the handling is good imo, but as already said about a million times it's not a sim, it's more half way between sim/arcade like pgr (should have been called something else etc.). been playing on a pad, not had the wheel setup in a while. loads of great tracks. it runs really well, until it rains - i need to look at the settings to try and sort that out. the structure of it is pretty standard - basically a big list of timetrials/races, buy and upgrade your cars - which is also pretty much what i would want. but there are some problems - you get money really slowly, so i've played maybe 5 hours, and only just got my 3rd car (i guess i have been buying expensive cars, but in forza or GT i'd have loads of cars by now), and half way through the c class races, you might need say a british car but i can't afford one, so i can't unlock the section after that properly - you can pay (in-game money) to unlock it which is good and not too expensive, but still the lack of new cars or money to buy them is annoying in a game with loads of cool cars. i've mainly been using the same car and upgrading/downgrading it depending on the class of the race. i also don't like how the timetrials are setup - let me keep going instead of having to restart every lap! the loading is also pretty slow - i think that might be a bug ~30-40 seconds to load a track - not seen anything take that long to load from an ssd before (restarting a timetrial is fast).

Tom Chick has been running a series of short diaries on the daily challenges which I have to admit sound fun (he's playing it on a pad without much knowledge or background in sim racing). It's a way of getting to drive lots of different cars without buying them, and you get different events and conditions to learn.

https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2021/02/07/project-cars-3-the-corkscrew-of-the-antipodes/

Thing is, for my very limited gaming time I have to focus on Assetto Corsa Competizione, because it's fucking well 'ard, and I can barely stay on the track as it is.

4 hours ago, mexos said:

Getting close! 

It's shit. Stick to GT Sport.

33 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

:lol:

Love the review Joe

:)

Heh, I reviewed it at launch in Dutch. Taken to Google Translate:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&u=https://gamer.nl/artikelen/review/project-cars-3-racet-met-wisselend-succes/

Conclusion

The choice to make Project Cars 3 a more accessible, yet (kind of) realistic racing game, does not work out quite well. Nevertheless, this combination does provide entertaining moments.

+ Surprisingly comprehensive circuit racing game, solid flexible controls, very diverse selection of cars and circuits

- Visually substandard, sloppy bugs, highly variable gameplay

And given the developer who turned Project Cars into Need for Speed Shift has just been bought by the publisher that commissioned Need For Speed : Shift I think we know what we're getting next :P

I love project cars 3 (Xbox one x). They have patched out most of the bugs now and it looks and plays great. Being playing it for months now too. Turn off the assists though! It plays great on a pad.

If if you are playing it straight, it’s a bit mean with the credits, and progression can be slow. The engine sound off that OSME Fiesta is unreal!

It's Need for Speed Shift 3, for all the good and bad that implies.

The problem is, as I and others said before launch, is that they killed off the single best racing sim in the world for racing immersion to make it.

On 20/02/2021 at 23:13, Dudley said:

The problem is, as I and others said before launch, is that they killed off the single best racing sim in the world for racing immersion to make it.

How have they killed off ACC?

ACC is just GTs but AI only races? Not a patch on PC2.

And there is no way in ACC to be in VR as a Toyota LMP1 blasts by your McLaren GT3 on the entrance to a corner while you're chasing down a surprisingly well matched late 80s Trans-am.

ACC is definitely the most immersive racing sim out there and I've put many hours into both games.  Nothing beats the feeling of being in a real race that that game can give you.

AI only races?  What do you mean?

Single Player.  It's pretty easy for a multiplayer race to feel like a real race.

Having been in real races, nothing gets anywhere close in single player to PC2 in terms of recreating that, even though there are better driving models.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked this up a few weeks back and I'm massively suprised considering the negativity on release! Tbh this fits the bill for nearly everything I want and in some ways it reminds me of Driveclub which is a huge compliment as thay's one of my favourite games of all time. Pad and wheel support are superb (tinkering with settings in PC1 and 2 completely ruined them both), audio is excellent and the car and track list is obviously immense. Tons of customisation options, liveries etc.. and I'm a sucker for Rivals events with the daily/weekly/monthly challenges. I'm wondering if the screen tearing would be less if I were to upgrade from my X to a series X though, anyone got any experiences?

I actually keep hovering over the Season Pass buy button as I got the game cheap, in reality it's pretty terrible value but the extra single player Driveclub-a-like tours are tempting me. Shame it doesn't have single player leaderboards or have I missed those?

Either way I'd recommend this to anyone if you can accept the tearing. I mean, the graphics are more than passable (although photo mode is weak) and in hot lap mode, which is predominantly what I play, it's mostly smooth and decent to look at.

21 minutes ago, PDogg said:

Picked this up a few weeks back and I'm massively suprised considering the negativity on release! Tbh this fits the bill for nearly everything I want and in some ways it reminds me of Driveclub which is a huge compliment as thay's one of my favourite games of all time. Pad and wheel support are superb (tinkering with settings in PC1 and 2 completely ruined them both), audio is excellent and the car and track list is obviously immense. Tons of customisation options, liveries etc.. and I'm a sucker for Rivals events with the daily/weekly/monthly challenges. I'm wondering if the screen tearing would be less if I were to upgrade from my X to a series X though, anyone got any experiences?

I actually keep hovering over the Season Pass buy button as I got the game cheap, in reality it's pretty terrible value but the extra single player Driveclub-a-like tours are tempting me. Shame it doesn't have single player leaderboards or have I missed those?

Either way I'd recommend this to anyone if you can accept the tearing. I mean, the graphics are more than passable (although photo mode is weak) and in hot lap mode, which is predominantly what I play, it's mostly smooth and decent to look at.

This is tempting me again due to the GT7 delay and disappointment of Dirt 5, the deluxe version (which I presume inc season pass) is £29.99 in the PSN sale at the moment, not sure if that’s too much still though hmmm.

(apparently Codemasters have said there will be no next gen upgrade, which is a shame)

If performance is similar or better on whatever system you're on then I'd say that's a great price for the game and the sp. It's nice to be able to finally race around the tracks in PC, there are so many after all, but I've just never ever been able to find a workable control solution on either of the previous versions of the game (I have a G29 too) so I've barely seen any of them. PC3 just feels great, partifularly on controller, and despite the lack of depth of all the settings vs PC1/2 it's infinitely more playable and fun.

I didn't like Dirt 5 in any way either, I bought it cheap but it was so terrible, like the worst bits of every terrible Dirt game put together. Codemasters would do very well to just let SMS guys create the games moving forward and just offer their resources. Can't see that happening though.

You’re tempting me :D. I’ll be on PS5 but found this video comparing XBOX versions, seems Series S holds 60fps in day races, drops a bit at night and more in the wet, maybe series X and  PS5 will be a bit better again.

I have a PC, wheel etc. for AC, ACC so I’m really looking for a controller based game so this fits the bill there.

i'm still playing this, about 40 hours in and really enjoying it. handles really well with a pad, imo anyway. great selection of cars and tracks too. had problems with the game structure early on but i've either got used to them or they aren't really a problem later on.

12 minutes ago, spatular said:

i'm still playing this, about 40 hours in and really enjoying it. handles really well with a pad, imo anyway. great selection of cars and tracks too. had problems with the game structure early on but i've either got used to them or they aren't really a problem later on.

That’s good to hear.

What problem did you have, navigation round menus or how the game progressed somehow?

11 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

What problem did you have, navigation round menus or how the game progressed somehow?

yeah it was mainly career mode progression of getting money/unlocking stuff, and the timetrials aren't setup to my liking

On 19/02/2021 at 10:55, spatular said:

you get money really slowly, so i've played maybe 5 hours, and only just got my 3rd car (i guess i have been buying expensive cars, but in forza or GT i'd have loads of cars by now), and half way through the c class races, you might need say a british car but i can't afford one, so i can't unlock the section after that properly - you can pay (in-game money) to unlock it which is good and not too expensive, but still the lack of new cars or money to buy them is annoying in a game with loads of cool cars. i've mainly been using the same car and upgrading/downgrading it depending on the class of the race. i also don't like how the timetrials are setup - let me keep going instead of having to restart every lap! the loading is also pretty slow - i think that might be a bug ~30-40 seconds to load a track - not seen anything take that long to load from an ssd before (restarting a timetrial is fast).

the further you get money is less of a problem, i've got quite a lot of cars now. and i sort of enjoy the difficulty of unlocking stuff now as it forces me to get better at it, some of the unlock points/star things are still a bit annoying though, some i'm not sure i'll ever get, but i've nearly unlocked everything now. the timetrials I just got used to. one thing i found that helps with money/xp is to pretty much always finish events, wait till after it hands out xp/money - then restart. at the start i was restarting whenever i messed up - losing out on loads of xp/money. the loading is still slow, i'm on pc - might be better on the next gen consoles.

Not sure how long for but I'm in the top 20 of the weekly Rivals challenge at Brands Hatch, woop woop. In all honesty I don't think it's a particularly fast time (1.33 something) but the competition appears to be incredibly poor (which I'm thankful for haha). One annoying thing is that I can't improve my time because for some reason they impose a maximum of 30 attempts on a week long challenge, that seems very odd to me when I want to keep playing it!