PS2 Appreciation Thread

dataDave

3 hours ago, matt! said:

It does have licences

Sold ! :) Well maybe after I play quite a bit of gt4. Seems a shame enthusia sunk without a trace. I read else where that one of their physic engine guys moved to polyphony after

7 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Yeah, I've got a freemcboot and a phat with a hdd installed. If there's no easy way to run an original disc I'll have to look at getting an iso onto the hdd as that bypasses the region checks. 

I've never managed to get network transfer working so I'll have to source a 3.5" PATA caddy. 

I use WinHiip to transfer and remove isos from my drive with the IDE drive plugged into my PC via a USB dock/caddy.

https://www.ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168

On 01/08/2022 at 10:33, Ninja Doctor said:

Yeah, I've got a freemcboot and a phat with a hdd installed. If there's no easy way to run an original disc I'll have to look at getting an iso onto the hdd as that bypasses the region checks. 

I've never managed to get network transfer working so I'll have to source a 3.5" PATA caddy. 

Just in case anyone is interested, this dock from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07MVGGG62?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

and hdldumb https://github.com/ps2homebrew/hdl-dump

work an absolute treat with windows 10. Just remember to set your hdd to slave when in the dock and master when in the ps2. 

The advantage of doing it this way is the region protection is handled when the disc is read so transferring data to the hdd via a computer bypasses the region lockout. 

I use one of those mini travel routers (GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 Mango) with a USB memory stick that is shared over SMB. That means USB 2 speed which is roughly as fast as the CD drive (USB2 over SMB has faster seeks, slightly slower max speed)

PS2 slim is wired to it over Ethernet and the router connected to my home WiFi because there was no way I was going to run Ethernet to my PS2 location. 

This lets me get online with the PS2, and load my games from the stick over network. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe I'm only just discovering U: Underwater Unit / Sub Rebellion, a Racjin/Irem submarine action game which was intended as a loose spiritual sequel to Kaitei Daisensou. Instant buy for me, partly because I love that game, but also because I find almost everything on PS2 which is underappreciated, ignored or misunderstood turns out to have plenty to recommend it, and this one looks fantastic.

(People who've recorded themselves all seem to play it really sluggishly, but the pace picks up quite a bit, and there are plenty of sections in which you're surfaced - as in Kaitei Daisensou - and attacking airborne targets etc, as well as some decent boss battles.)

This blogger I've been enjoying recently likes it, too: http://lunaticobscurity.blogspot.com/2016/06/sub-rebellion-ps2.html]

Random recommendation for an unknown game that is actually alright: Thunderbirds published by Blast! and based on the TV show.

Looks like cheap licensed shovelware but actually plays a little like the Strike series on the MegaDrive with missions to complete, overhead isometric style viewpoint etc.

2 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Can't believe I'm only just discovering U: Underwater Unit / Sub Rebellion, a Racjin/Irem submarine action game which was intended as a loose spiritual sequel to Kaitei Daisensou. Instant buy for me, partly because I love that game, but also because I find almost everything on PS2 which is underappreciated, ignored or misunderstood turns out to have plenty to recommend it, and this one looks fantastic.

(People who've recorded themselves all seem to play it really sluggishly, but the pace picks up quite a bit, and there are plenty of sections in which you're surfaced - as in Kaitei Daisensou - and attacking airborne targets etc, as well as some decent boss battles.)

This blogger I've been enjoying recently likes it, too: http://lunaticobscurity.blogspot.com/2016/06/sub-rebellion-ps2.html]

I recently picked this one up too. Didn't know anything about it but a submarine shooter by Irem sounded unusual enough to spark my interest. 

It's a very cool game. 

1 hour ago, megamixer said:

Random recommendation for an unknown game that is actually alright: Thunderbirds published by Blast! and based on the TV show.

Looks like cheap licensed shovelware but actually plays a little like the Strike series on the MegaDrive with missions to complete, overhead isometric style viewpoint etc.

And this sounds right up my street! 

• 1 month later...

I recently grabbed a PS2 to play PS2 games after getting fed up with the various issues when emulating on PS3 (doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is annoying). And as the PS2 is one of those mostly pre Internet dumb consoles, I'd like to have a stab at hacking it to make it region free, mess with resolutions, etc.

Anyway, long story long, I bought a FreeMcBoot card off Amazon and it didn't work (appeared to be full of junk saves and corrupt data). So then I burned a FreeDVDBoot disc and that didn't work; it just got stuck on this screen here:

1501977778_MyGreatGame-MyGreatCapture_2022-09-29_11-18-37.thumb.png.db46ad87c69fefba17ac44ee137baf1d.png

Any ideas? I heard that the SCPH-70003 kinda worked with everything, right?

I wish I could help as the freeDVDboot process was so incredibly easy, but I didn’t get stuck on any message like that. It all just worked. Just to add though, if you do a multi-region, multi-console install the memory card will appear to have corrupted junk data on it. Only looks normal if you install for a specific machine, which an Aliexpress seller obviously can’t do.

I learned about the FreeMcBoot one Saturday morning a couple of months ago from scanning this thread, and by the end of the same weekend I had a fully mechapwned machine running all my games off a server.

I actually got carried away and flung myself into it all without reading things properly. I ignored the warning about mechapwn removing your uloader install, thinking “I’ll just install it again from freeDVDboot” while also not having seen the warning that mechapwn removes the DVD player functionality of your PS2.

Yet when I found that I had to go through the whole process again, it just worked. My DVD software was still there. Dodged a bullet somehow.

Then there was the stuff about it not being able to boot PS2 DVDRs without using a secondary loader. I’m trying to protect my original GFDM discs so wanted to make usable copies. I couldn’t get any of the methods to work, just got the red disc screen over and over. In frustration I hit reset on my PS2 and when it booted up with the disc already in the drive, it just straight up loaded without any hassle which isn’t supposed to be possible.

So some definite weird voodoo shenanigans going on with my PS2 hacks.

44 minutes ago, matt! said:

Are you sure this wasn't the FreeMcBoot data?

Could your PS2 slim already be chipped?

The corrupt data may have been Free McBoot data, aye. But like I said, it would just hang on the logo.

Highly unlikely this is a chipped console, as the warranty sticker is intact. Seems really odd that the DVD route isn't working for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross-posting from ATF:

I'm going to set my PS2 up with FreeMcBoot but WinHIIP isn't picking up any of my current SATA HDDs (unless I'm doing something wrong?  I've followed a guide). I had it all set up years ago, but the old drive is long gone.

So - can anyone who already has this set up let me know what drive you have?

Ta!

It's only getting a steam deck that reignited any interest in PS2, I must admit despite having it and spending a fortune on games I'd just not realised how stacked it was for racing games (most of which I'd bought before !) - it's like I'd forgotten all about it.

It's in such a sweet spot for my tastes today of good enough graphics but I can see where the track is going, games not full of RPG elements and complex enough handling.

I've got a lovely set forming on the deck from memory and a trawl thru this sub folder.

Burnout 3 & Revenge

Flatout 2

Shox

Midnight Club 3

TOCA 3

Ridge Racer 5

King of Route 66

Outrun Coast 2 Coast

Motorstorm Arctic Edge

NFS Underground 2

Splashdown

11 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Anyone able to have a go at fixing my Matrix Infinity slim PS2? It struggles to read discs and I’m useless at this stuff. 

You could do away with discs and load your games over the network. This is what I did, even though my drive is fine.