PS2 Appreciation Thread

dataDave

On 16/10/2022 at 14:45, Ninja Doctor said:

Sounds like the laser has gone/is going. 

I’m awaiting mine to arrive for a laser swap. Takes about 5 minutes to do:

Cheers, but I’m incredibly cack-handed and wouldn’t have a chance at successfully doing that! 😕

If there’s one game I regret selling, it’s Gregory Horror Show. The PS2 was home to all sorts of wacky games you never see these days - unless you scour Steam’s indie section. It goes for a fair few quid these days.

I remember when Mr Mosquito was a fiver in Game too. Never picked it up. Now it’s £70+ for a PAL version.

One of my favourites is Amplitube, the soundtrack is very eclectic and it’s a winner! I have the PS4 Kickstarter version but it’s not the same, the PS2 soundtrack is far superior (partly due to the licensed music, partly due to nostalgia)

I've had Mr Mosquito and it is indeed a unique game albeit not as a amazing as it's rep would lead you to believe. From memory it could have controlled better and it grew frustrating very quickly i.e. not getting detected by the humans in the house was a lot harder than it looked.

I'd still love to play it again though, all of that said. I do like these weird "underground" sorts of games far more than the big names.

One hard-to-find game that I was lucky enough to borrow off somebody in the past and complete was Rule of Rose. This game definitely has a very unique, sinister atmosphere and is very twisted. I just wish the controls and the combat were a bit better.

I will say that the reasons it was banned are completely overblown though. There is a scene towards the very end which could be implied as something dark but it's all down to your own interpretation.

19 hours ago, megamixer said:

One hard-to-find game that I was lucky enough to borrow off somebody in the past and complete was Rule of Rose. This game definitely has a very unique, sinister atmosphere and is very twisted. I just wish the controls and the combat were a bit better.

I will say that the reasons it was banned are completely overblown though. There is a scene towards the very end which could be implied as something dark but it's all down to your own interpretation.

I remember hearing a phone-in on 5Live with the execrable Stephen Nolan talking about Rule Of Rose, a game he insisted was about school girls bullying and beating a child. Naturally he or his contributors hadn't played it, it was still on pre-order at the time, but why should that stop a good old-fashioned scare story? 

Surprised he didn't get as excited about Michigan: Report From Hell. 

8 hours ago, Vimster said:

I remember hearing a phone-in on 5Live with the execrable Stephen Nolan talking about Rule Of Rose, a game he insisted was about school girls bullying and beating a child. Naturally he or his contributors hadn't played it, it was still on pre-order at the time, but why should that stop a good old-fashioned scare story? 

Surprised he didn't get as excited about Michigan: Report From Hell. 

I just really like RoR. It's a very different game and up there with the best horror on PS2 for me (although I concede many won't agree). The atmosphere and sinister vibe is just really something else.

Michigan is another I used to own and sold for a stupidly low price back when it wasn't so infamous. Very fun and different game that you could play through many times. I did find the unlockable pole-dancing thing with the different female reporters to be a bit awkward and unnecessary though, especially with the character models that weren't exactly up there with the best on PS2.

Youngest is now two and a half and I'm starting to see some evenings freeing up so I've begun working on some of the console repairs I've been meaning to do... 

Spent last night trying to fix a really nice PS2 in lovely nick but with a disc tray that shoots out super fast. Watched this video and had a good clean. Haven't changed the battery but what I've done hasn't fixed it aaaannnd I've also managed to break off the 'fan power jack assembly'. AaaaAAArgh. Think that's what it's called - It's actually the component at 7.15 in Ninja Doctor's video up thread. Spent ages trying to persuade the clip to come out the socket but eventually the whole thing just came off.

Three questions, any help welcome!

1. Does anyone have any other advice for fixing an over energetic disc tray that's like something out of Tetsuo The Iron Man? Reading the comments on the video someone suggest "check for cold solder joints on either Mechcon and the epron" but I'm struggling to find a video that could act as a guide to this. Maybe a good teardown video? 

2. Related; has anyone used the Playstation 2 Diagnosis tool in settings? Good piece on this on the Rockstar website Support pages (!) - I'm wondering if it might help.

3. How do I fix the component back on the board. Is it a matter of glueing it? If so what kind of glue?

• 2 weeks later...

I buy ps2 games to rip to my 500gb internal drive.

I’ve got 100gb left. Today I tried to install 5 games. Recent acquisitions.

Two were already installed (GTA3, NFS:U2), one wouldn’t (crazy taxi) and two did (WRC Challenge and…

73A01EF9-55A5-49DE-B796-D58F020D9484.thumb.jpeg.7b96f6bd62e5d3be1aad3af8f3cdc3ee.jpeg

which feels more like a tech demo of pocket-sized stand-alone levels than a cohesive narrative.

Unless the difficulty level changes the game much?

also: Saturn exhumed opening level is better than Egypt 1923 in TS on ps2…

9 hours ago, SeanR said:

Two were already installed (GTA3, NFS:U2), one wouldn’t (crazy taxi) and two did (WRC Challenge and…

73A01EF9-55A5-49DE-B796-D58F020D9484.thumb.jpeg.7b96f6bd62e5d3be1aad3af8f3cdc3ee.jpeg

which feels more like a tech demo of pocket-sized stand-alone levels than a cohesive narrative.

Yeah Timesplitters felt incredibly rushed and seemed to be focused on multiplayer only, which was really disappointing considering all the hype around the game about it being made by most of the team that were responsible for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

18 hours ago, SeanR said:

The first Timesplitters is incredibly redundant next to the sequels so I personally wouldn't bother with it. The only funny thing is being able to dual-wield miniguns in multiplayer deathmatches!

TS2 is just much better and contains most of the characters from TS1 for use in the the multiplayer.

Timesplitters Future Perfect adds a more fleshed-out story mode with cutscenes and an actual explanation as to what's going on (unlike the first two). Again, you have most of the characters from TS1 and 2 for use in multiplayer (although you need to unlock many), the best multiplayer maps from the previous games, and can also customise matches with the music from the first two games so it kinda brings it all together.

Many consider TS2 to be the more "pure" experience but I will always consider Future Perfect to be my go-to and one of my all-time favourite games. It's fun, silly, and just plays really well as an FPS.

On 13/11/2022 at 17:09, Ninja Doctor said:

Yep component is the best option followed by a good* component to hdmi converter if no component inputs. 

I use a GBS-Control to convert my PS2 component to VGA. It has decent deinterlacing, much better than my display's native deinterlacing. 

• 1 month later...

Currently in the process of ripping the last of my physical games to my PC ready for installation to my HDD and have come across something new to me that I'm unsure about.

Basically, I ripped Yakuza 2 and it produced both an .iso and an .mds file?!? Do I need to do some sort of merging bullshit with a piece of software to use this or do I just need to have both files on the HDD? I'm assuming Yak 2 is a dual-layer disc perhaps?

The Iso is just over 8GB and the mds is only 9kb if that helps.

3 hours ago, matt! said:

You can keep them together side by side, for completeness sake, but you won't need the MDS unless you try and burn it back to disc.

Cheers 😀

I didn't know whether it was like the CD games with the .cue files that need merging or some other kind of dual-layer whackiness.

Rogue Galaxy did exactly the same afterwards and that was in excess of 8GB too.

On 03/01/2023 at 22:24, megamixer said:

Currently in the process of ripping the last of my physical games to my PC ready for installation to my HDD and have come across something new to me that I'm unsure about.

Basically, I ripped Yakuza 2 and it produced both an .iso and an .mds file?!? Do I need to do some sort of merging bullshit with a piece of software to use this or do I just need to have both files on the HDD? I'm assuming Yak 2 is a dual-layer disc perhaps?

The Iso is just over 8GB and the mds is only 9kb if that helps.

it is a dual layered disk

I have an odd feeling about the PS2, at the time I loved it and some of my favourite gaming experiences were on it but I dont have any nostalgia towards it! However, my other half has a slim version and a load of games and I have a few knocking around so with my new OSSC and a new RGB scart cable acquired I had a go on it yesterday and I was transported back in time.

I can see problems ahead, I hadn’t banked on buying old PS2 games and im already thinking it needs to be modded for multi region / 60hz…..

While I dont have GT3 or GT4 so can’t recreate the glory days of doing a 24hour race I did have GT concept and it doesn’t look too bad via the OSSC (pic looks better than real life tho)

spacer.png

I recently bought a new TV, sadly it doesn't have component so I moved my PS2 and old telly into the spare room and set that up. To be honest it's much more comfortable as it's higher up and I can just sit in my office chair and play rather than scrunch down on the sofa - never felt comfortable playing games on the sofa. 

Anyway, of all the amazing games I could have been playing on what is probably my favourite console I ended up spending the afternoon recently playing Pac-Man World Rally, a not-bad karting game. Really straightforward, sticks rigidly to the Mario Kart template. Tracks have plenty of variety and it plays well. It just lacks that certain something, feels very by the numbers. I didn't feel pumped to go back and do the harder cups or unlock more stuff. 

It's definitely not landfill, shovelware or purely for kids, but it's firmly like a fair few games on the console, perfectly okay but not amazing.