PS2 Appreciation Thread

Fallows

I've been playing WRC Rally Evolved. Amazing game. 

Using GSM to play in 480p. 

I recently setup OPL to play games over Ethernet/SMB from a little travel router that I plug my USB stick into. Faster load times, silent, and hassle free! 

On 01/12/2020 at 14:30, matt! said:

I recently setup OPL to play games over Ethernet/SMB from a little travel router that I plug my USB stick into. Faster load times, silent, and hassle free! 

You might have to explain that. I just use an internal hdd with OPL. I didn't realise there were other options. 

On 01/12/2020 at 14:30, matt! said:

I've been playing WRC Rally Evolved. Amazing game. 

Using GSM to play in 480p. 

WRC Rally Evolved was fantastic easily the best rally game on the console absolutely hammered it online

One of my brothers and me have been playing darts on the ps2...Sure it's far from perfect, it's quite good fun though.

I'm going to play Virtua fighter 4 evo soon.

I'd be playing outrun 2 but I think it may need an official dualshock 2?

The pads I now have work for everything I had bought apart from this and Odin sphere.

16 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

You might have to explain that. I just use an internal hdd with OPL. I didn't realise there were other options. 

You're internal HDD is the best method.

But I have a Slim, so my options are limited. Loading over network is the next best solution - much better for many reasons than plugging the USB drive directly into the PS2. 

On 04/12/2020 at 04:00, Klatrymadon said:

Sorry for the boring question, but am I right in thinking the ability to transfer saves from Armored Core 2 to Another Age (its expansion) has been removed in the PAL versions? I'm not sure if @Cacophanus is still around, but he'd know! ;)

Thanks!

Unlike in Japan and the US, each of the PS2 entries for Armored Core tended to have different publishers in Europe and the UK. This meant the save carry over feature between games like AC2 and AC2AA were not available in the European and UK releases.

Games like ACPP and ACMoA weren't even released in Europe and the UK, which is just sad.

Anyway, this article covers the various releases of Armored Core in Europe, in case you are at all curious:

https://randomisedgaming.tumblr.com/post/63260640556/debate-does-namco-bandai-games-care-about-armored

Thanks a lot, Cacophanus! I'll definitely check out the article, but that horse might already have bolted - something snapped last month and I collected the entire first, second and third generations (minus Last Raven due to its current cost) in one fell swoop, selling some other games to pay for them. US versions for the PS1 stuff but PAL for the rest.

One thing AC2 and a recent go on FF7 have taught me is that I'm not quite as fussy about 60hz as I always thought I was. The PAL version of AC2 is perfectly fine, and if anything the very slight additional sluggishness only increases the feeling that I'm controlling a mech!

I think the first gen has been my favourite so far, although I need to brush up, because I'm losing half my pay per mission on repairs! I really enjoy the controls, though. They're always talked about as something you have to struggle against, but coming to the series from King's Field they felt fairly natural from the off, and (again) do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of creating the impression of piloting a walking tank. I love it, and I'm glad I finally got around to spending some real time with the series, after this forum (and you in particular!) piqued my interest in it some 15 years ago...

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Thanks a lot, Cacophanus! I'll definitely check out the article, but that horse might already have bolted - something snapped last month and I collected the entire first, second and third generations (minus Last Raven due to its current cost) in one fell swoop, selling some other games to pay for them. US versions for the PS1 stuff but PAL for the rest.

One thing AC2 and a recent go on FF7 have taught me is that I'm not quite as fussy about 60hz as I always thought I was. The PAL version of AC2 is perfectly fine, and if anything the very slight additional sluggishness only increases the feeling that I'm controlling a mech!

I think the first gen has been my favourite so far, although I need to brush up, because I'm losing half my pay per mission on repairs! I really enjoy the controls, though. They're always talked about as something you have to struggle against, but coming to the series from King's Field they felt fairly natural from the off, and (again) do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of creating the impression of piloting a walking tank. I love it, and I'm glad I finally got around to spending some real time with the series, after this forum (and you in particular!) piqued my interest in it some 15 years ago...

The Armored Core games are almost all genuinely great, though there are a few blips obviously. As for the controls, yeah, I was always mostly fine with them, it was other people that tended to complain. The lineage with the original King's Field games is a good point actually, but I never thought anyone bothered to play those (apart from me).

I tend to prefer the NTSC versions of the games, especially the older ones. To be honest, I've only ever really played the Japanese versions of the games, until the last few games on Xbox 360 and PS3, which I also played in English.

If you are at all curious, here are my playthroughs for the Japanese Armored Core games:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5C89Y7uUXlfhDPsgKQ9eNmWBDttILDDx

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers! I'll definitely watch these, as I'm still fairly bad at the games and will likely learn a lot from them. :)

A question, and a whine: has anyone else noticed a tendency for second-hand PS2 cases to have rough dimples in them, as if hit with a fountain pen or something? Small slashes, too. I've got PS2 games I've had for nearly 20 years and none of them have signs of wear like those. They seem to be very specific, deliberate types of damage that should be fairly rare, and yet they're on almost everything I've bought recently (and I only buy stuff listed as "very good" or better). What are people doing with their fucking games?

On 21/12/2020 at 10:25, Klatrymadon said:

Cheers! I'll definitely watch these, as I'm still fairly bad at the games and will likely learn a lot from them. :)

A question, and a whine: has anyone else noticed a tendency for second-hand PS2 cases to have rough dimples in them, as if hit with a fountain pen or something? Small slashes, too. I've got PS2 games I've had for nearly 20 years and none of them have signs of wear like those. They seem to be very specific, deliberate types of damage that should be fairly rare, and yet they're on almost everything I've bought recently (and I only buy stuff listed as "very good" or better). What are people doing with their fucking games?

Yes to both - think it's often from sticker removal and peoples' digging in nails. Worked in a game shop at 16 and the two injuries you describe would pop up on dummy boxes too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got up to the dragon boss on first chapter. First impressions... Stunning. Can't wait to see it open up. 

I'd be playing it now but I've had to come to my mums for something. 

It's so beautiful. 

Still fuming over the time some flatmates in my student digs spilled beer over a newly-imported copy of Odin Sphere, and instead of telling me about it tried to hide the fucking thing. It was still soaking wet when I found it, too.

Thankfully it's cheap now, and there's an improved version easily available for PS3 and PS4, but I'd paid about 80 quid for it at the time and was extremely gutted. :(

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning for ages to take apart my (Phatt) PS2 and have a look to see if it's possible to fix the fact it doesn't read CD's at all meaning all PS1 games and the one's that came out on blue disc. Annoyingly I've got about 7 games that I've never been able to play and a few of these are scrolling shmups like Psyvariar, Steel Dragon Ex, XII Stag and Gunbird. Aside from the one time I played one of them at a mate's house on his PS2 years back, I've never had them running at all ever. Well today I've just fixed the problem. It was all down to simply adjusting two white cogs. Before hand there was a lot of clicking too and it's entirely solved the problem loading perfectly now. 

I'm now excited to check out these shooters. I've got Freakout and a Pinball game too. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Is there a preferred HDMI solution for PS2? There are many different dongles at differing prices but they look a lot like the one I got for the Wii and that was awful.

I have one of these, which does the job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XBV1L8Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I'm not overly picky about image quality, though, and there's a few reviews that complain about how it looks on their TV. Personally, I can't fault it. 

Actually, I can. It requires powering from a USB port and the design means you can't stand your ps2 up with it plugged in. 

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Is there a preferred HDMI solution for PS2? There are many different dongles at differing prices but they look a lot like the one I got for the Wii and that was awful.

That’s what I use. I should combine it with my cheap hdmi capture dongle and post a video...

Cheers, I'll get that.  Also can anyone help me with my other issue about the hard drive? I can't work out where the files go on the hard drive.  It's got OPL, HD loader, Popsloader (that boots Cotton and has no options to change that), a stand alone icon that boots Gradius Gaiden, free McBoot creator, uLaunch, and all my PS2 games.  I want to replace the .elf files to be the latest versions of the apps, and also want to install PS1 games but the hard drive doesn't have a file structure so there's no visibility of the files I would replace.  Doesn't make sense to me..

How does it compare to a component connection? I’ve been using my component cables and was actually surprised how good the image looks generally on my Pioneer plasma back when I fired up the ps2 again about 6 months ago for the first time in many years. 

12 hours ago, Soulstar said:

How does it compare to a component connection? I’ve been using my component cables and was actually surprised how good the image looks generally on my Pioneer plasma back when I fired up the ps2 again about 6 months ago for the first time in many years. 

It’s the component signal, converted to hdmi, so maybe it loses a bit?

1 minute ago, Soulstar said:

Ohhh right I see, so is this for a TV you're using that doesn't have a component input? @SeanR

or in my case, only has one component input, while I have 2 5-port HDMI switches, 4 HDMI ports on the telly, and 12 consoles. I think the wii is connected via component at the moment. 

it is merely convenience.

I'll switch back to RGB SCART (and 2x 6-SCART switches) when I get my OSSC.