What’s your favourite final stage/level/boss?

Bushtopher

I think the end of Inside was amazing, the amount of control I felt I had was amazing. And gross.

However the big one for me was the end of Prince of Persia:the Sands of Time where the last level was the boss and the game tore away your training wheels. It's the closest thing I've felt to being Neo in the Matrix (complete with wall running.)

2 hours ago, Curtis said:

Dark Souls 3 DLC 2 final boss!  :wub:

Its plagued my mind ever since. Truly the culmination of so many other great, memorable fights. But that one was utterly profound on so many different levels.

So memorable you forgot its name. :P

I must admit, I liked Ganon in Zelda BOTW.  He took some skills but was mostly a celebration of how far you'd come that you were able to best him fairly easily.  In some ways that it was a last boss should be, not a difficult spike but actually just a situation where you can show how powerful you are. 

On 06/01/2019 at 10:22, RubberJohnny said:

hqdefault.jpg

I struggle to think of a good ending bossfight, most of the examples mentioned here are final act escalations or denouements rather than bosses.

I had a love/hate relationship with that (Halo screenshot). That one jump near the end that seemed based on luck was incredibly frustrating.

NiGHTS has one of my favourite final levels. It's not a great boss fight, and the level layout is not my favourite in the game. But that moment at the very start where you jump off the platform, your character flies back up into view, and the music starts up is magical.

Just now, Naieve said:

does it not kill you more often on PAL60 mode? 

Yes, I think it was more of an issue on the PAL version, since I've rarely heard American players complain about it. I'm not sure if there was a difference between the two video modes though (on the original Xbox I tended to play it in PAL50 mode, as the consensus was that PAL60 was jerkier).

It seemed that every time I'd land the jump smoothly, all four warthog wheels landing on the road, the Master Chief would die. The only times he'd survive were those when the warthog crashed nose-first into the road, flipping over and flinging the Chief out.

Deaths on that jump seemed much less of a problem on the Xbox 360 Anniversary Edition in 60Hz.

The final boss of the Grandia, amused me a lot. Throughout the game you've had a bitch of a time due to this bugger, and when you reach it you have a big old fight on your hands - he has the full 9999 hit points. When you finally do beat him however:

Spoiler

He mutates into a second form (in a JRPG - what are the chances?). Another full 9999 hit points, and you've probably already taken a beating on the first form. You brace yourself for the worst...

But the thing is this second form is rubbish - it can only attack with a few of the lowest level spells, and does very little damage if they hit. You've basically already beaten him. Now it's payback time, so you can just let rip and give him the absolute twatting he so richly deserves. Round after round of just sticking an almighty boot in until it finally kicks the bucket. Really cathartic stuff!

On 06/01/2019 at 02:57, Vemsie said:

Fishing Hamlet with Orphan of Koss as boss in Bloodborne's Old Hunters DLC. Hard as nails, awesome lore; just a spectacular fight. The location itself is great too. Very Lovecraftian but without the racism.

The base game also has some excellent final bosses; some of the things being asked of the player seem impossible at first but eventually you start to see the timings and opportunities in the battle. :) 

This is actually a really hard topic for me. A lot of memorable and/or enjoyable bosses are actually the penultimate ones in a game. Like for example I can't say False King Allant because the real final boss is... not him. Or Metal Gear Rex, because the last boss is actually the jeep chase against Liquid.

There are also a lot of really great bosses that are so frustratingly difficult that the experience can get a bit spoiled. The punch out with Liquid Ocelot at the end of MGS4 for example. An incredibly evocative fight for fans of the series, with each phase referencing part of the series' history - and very powerful music. You have to retry so many times on higher difficulty settings though that the magic can wear thin.

Other standout memories are the final boss in Bangai-O (so bloody difficult!) and the end duel in Ace Combat Zero (the music!!).

I had really fond memories of the spectacular fight against Anubis in ZOE2, having to master all the tricks of Jehuty to win - but when I revisited it in the HD collection it wasn't how I remembered it at all.

I haven't done world 5 in Astrobot yet but I'd be surprised if that doesn't make the list.

So my final decision is...

Snake vs The Boss in that field of flowers.

Another fun one, but just for the ability to do what I did the first time. The last fight in brilliant PS1 game Bushido Blade. At the start of the boss battle, your opponent goes off on a bit of a speech - can't remember what he says, but he's all blah blah blah… You are in-game at this point though, and Bushido Blade being a rare fighting game with a one hit kill attack, I thought why the hell not? So I launch a nice neck chop and take the silly bugger's head off whilst he's mid-speech. Victory!

Except, that's apparently not quite in-keeping with the Bushido way of doing things, so my character then committed suicide. I love the fact that it let me do it though. :)