rllmuk
Stanshall

Abandoned Games (2019)

Yoku's Island Express (Switch)

The magic of backtracking combined with the precise platforming action only pinball can provide! Fantastic little soundtrack and it looks lovely but the basic concept is an exercise in frustration for me. It sets you the most basic of tasks and then withholds your progress on the gravitational whims of a bouncing ball. 

• Upvote 1

Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)

Genuinely stunning artwork, rich atmosphere and an instant classic soundtrack. The movement, traversal and combat feel absolutely terrible. This epitomises a lot of mid-tier/upper-mid tier indie to me. Plenty of heart, inspiration and talent but not enough time, resources or knowledge to nail the tactile pleasure of gameplay.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Super Meat Boy (Switch et al.)

I don't know how many times I've bought this game and shelved it, only to reinstall in a moment of self-delusion, and promptly uninstall again. I have to be honest, I'm too shit at it to get anything from it. This is the other side of indie gaming, where the feel is everything and I think they've done an amazing job with that. I just don't enjoy it on any level and I need to stop kidding myself now. It's 2019. 

• Upvote 3

Broforce (Switch)

I see the trailers for these games and I think hahaha yes wow imagine that with my mates and a few beers we'll have a right laugh can't wait for it hahaha legend and then I remember after I buy it that I basically never have mates round to play games because most of my mates live in different parts of the country and the ones who live nearby have kids and demanding wives and when they're allowed to go out they just want to get turbo wankered to both forget and reminisce about exactly where and when it all went wrong. Ironically, the video game 'Broforce' captures the exact opposite spirit yet it is still a load of shite. 

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 3

44 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Four games abandoned inside one hour! Starting as you mean to go on, eh @Stanshall?

New year, new me! (same old me) I need to get some of these little monkeys off my back and off my SD card.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

New year, new me! (same old me) I've got like 90 games installed on the Switch. I need to get some of these little monkeys off my back and off my SD card. I've made a pledge to give each one at least five more minutes. Plenty more abandonment to follow. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 7

Mega Man Legacy Collection (Switch)

I have such fond memories of playing on the NES with my brothers. Wonderful times sitting two feet from the telly, completely absorbed, cheering each other on, cartoons come to life, another world revealing itself before our eyes. Even now the little NES sound chip burbling away makes me feel all warm inside. Then I play Mega Man Legacy Collection and I remember my little brother literally biting the NES pad in anger, tears streaming down his face, punching the floor. Still the natural human response to Mega Man thirty years later. 

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

55 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)

Genuinely stunning artwork, rich atmosphere and an instant classic soundtrack. The movement, traversal and combat feel absolutely terrible. This epitomises a lot of mid-tier/upper-mid tier indie to me. Plenty of heart, inspiration and talent but not enough time, resources or knowledge to nail the tactile pleasure of gameplay.

Once you get a couple of upgrades both traversal and combat is massively improved. Problem being, upgrade tokens are hidden and sparse, and while there's not much to upgrade it's entirely possible to start upgrading something that's really not going to be as useful as a different option. And that map is utterly hateful, isn't it? Lost trying to find something you couldn't reach earlier that you now think you could? Well, that's easily done in this game so I'll just look at the map! Oh yes, that's cleared it up :hmm: 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Isn't this all an absolutely insane waste of money?

Most of the stuff I've bought over the last two years is very good and I've more than got my money's worth. This thread is almost all stuff I've picked up in the sales which I just regret buying. You're right, though. It's a waste of money. I find that if I dignify the purchase with a few words, I am less plagued by economic guilt. That's the main reason for the thread.

• Upvote 3

At the moment its Red Dead Redemption 2.

Yes. I got to chapter 3 over xmas and I can't stand it. Not a fun game - as we know... it is a wild west simulator. 

At least the 1st one was a little bit funny!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Most of the stuff I've bought over the last two years is very good and I've got my money's worth. A good chunk of my Switch games are Neo Geo/ZeroDiv shmups, puzzle games and fighting games. This thread is almost all stuff I've picked up in the sales which I just regret buying. You're right, though. It's a fucking waste of money. I find that if I dignify the purchase with a few words, I am less plagued by economic guilt. That's the main reason for the thread. I'd rather delete it though if I give any impression that I'm somehow bragging about buying this shit. 

It almost seems like, as a result of having such a large backlog you're not really giving any of these games any time before uninstalling them! I may be totally wrong on that, but there's so many games that don't reveal they're greatness for a little while, or the friction that they're pushing on the player is actual the reason why they're so good in the first place. There's loads of stuff that's had the occasional section of level that grates a little, but pushing through it can then lead to incredible stuff. 

I dunno, I have my own pile of shame, that I try to keep not toooo high, but I try to finish everything I've bought unless I really know I dislike it. The only game I've done that to of recent was Strafe (PS4) -- there you go an abandoned game, more for the reason that the game is SO built from the ground on to run on PC using shitty Unity and controlled via a mouse and keyboard, so the PS4 version runs like absolute shit and is uncontrollable with zero pad tuning.

I was a little luke-warm on Horizon: Zero Dawn when I first played it, and was like that for a few hours! till it all clicked in place. I actually replayed it with a different mind-set and knowledge of how the game is meant to be played and consider it one of the very best games I've ever played! I love it.  

@Kevvy Metal

I totally understand where you're coming from and I agree about taking things on their own terms as best you can. These aren't games that I've tried for five minutes today, though, and binned. They're games I've tried time and time again (across different formats in some cases) and I'm just ready to say that I'm getting no more enjoyment out of them. Instead of flicking past the icon and regretting the purchase every time I turn on the Switch, I'm at the point where I'd rather just delete and play the stuff I enjoy.

It's also a useful exercise in looking at certain games I've really not enjoyed and using that knowledge to stop me from buying more games of that type and getting sucked in by the hype or the presentation. That may well sound ridiculous but I'm being sincere about it. I genuinely hope I don't come across as "har har how frivolous I am" because that's absolutely not my intention at all, I'm really posting this stuff to say to myself "stop being a dickhead, you're planning on starting a family this year". 

• Upvote 1

Donkey Kong tropical freeze (switch)

A brilliant game but I just wasn't enjoying it as much as playing Super Mario Bros on the Switch's NES. With NSMBU coming this Friday I don't really need to own all these 2D platformers.

• Empathy 1

Hyper Light Drifter can feel clunky to begin with, but it isn't incompetence or lack of resources. It handles exactly as intended and is very satisfying and precise if you get the hang of it. Also, while vague maps can be initially frustrating, the way they force you to pay more attention to the actual environment can add a lot - see also Hollow Knight (which I didn't totally get on with and may be joining the abandoned list for different reasons).

Cheers @MegaTrousers. I also appreciate anyone coming into this thread with advice on how to get more out of any of these games. If I'd put down Demon's Souls when it first seemed impenetrable, well, I'd have missed out on so so much. I've put a good five hours into HLD on the PS4 to say it's not really for me but I take your point.

• Upvote 1

Dark Souls Remastered (Switch). Played this for about 10-15 hrs before Christmas and it was alright if a bit annoying in places, but have no urge to go back and continue playing it now. Think I got my money’s worth. 

Instead will focus on a Lego DC Supervillians which is much more fun. 

• Upvote 1

Mafia 3

I hate open world games but I bought this when it was about a pound on the (Japanese) psn a year or two ago and eventually decided to give it a shot about a month ago.

I enjoyed it for a few hours, it has a great soundtrack and I liked the setting a lot more than your average modern city open world.

Like all open world games I ran out of steam after about 10 hours when I realised I was repeating the same thing every mission and the core gameplay loop and mechanics aren't enjoyable enough to sustain that repetition.

I enjoyed it for a few hours, which is at least more than I can say about other open world games like GTA 5 etc.

The shooting was actually fairly enjoyable, and the first couple of hours where it's fairly linear and they're setting up the scenario etc was excellent.

I think if this had been a 15 hour long linear (ie, not open world) game with the same gameplay I would have really enjoyed it. But in the end it's just another open world chore, with rinse and repeat missions.

I put it down when I realised I wasn't enjoying it anymore and that was a few weeks ago so I suspect I won't be going back to it anytime soon.

Hyper Light Drifter was a really weird one for me. Fell in love with it from the first trailers but when I finally settled down with it (making sure I was in just the right mood, lighting some incense etc.) I was surprised to find myself completely indifferent to it for about the first four or five hours. I pretty much forced myself to continue since I'd been looking forward to it so much. I did end up getting into it a lot more after that.

That was about half the game not really enjoying it though so I'm not sure I could confidently recommend it based off that experience. I think it's one of those games everyone should try but it's definitely not going to be as universally loved as its reputation/reviews might suggest.

It’s rare these days that I give up on a game before I’ve completed it but Save Me Mr Tako might be one. It is excellent but there was a terrible, terrible mess of a level where you’re a human not an octopus and although I eventually managed it it put me right off :(

43 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Celeste. Too much twitch style platforming for my liking. Freebie on xbox, so don't feel bad abandoning it. 

Damn, thought I would be the first to post this.  Just not for me.

• Upvote 1

If it helps, I bounced off Celeste to start with too. I'm not normally one for twitch platformers, and I don't think I made it out of the first level before I thought it just wasn't for me.

I went back to it a bit later though after seeing so much praise, and it ended up being one of my favourite games of last year. It was the story that really hooked me in, adding an emotional reason to keep playing beyond simply overcoming the challenge. That challenge became a lot more fun in its own right once the platforming clicked though, helped by some generous checkpointing, but the story was so well told, and became so strongly linked to that challenge that I couldn't put it down.

It might also help to know that there is no reason to tackle the game's optional challenges (strawberries, B-sides etc) unless you want to do so for your own sake. I just stuck to the story, and found it really rewarding.

It's still cool if it's still not for you after all that, but it might be worth sticking with for longer if you're still early in the game and see it as "just" a twitch platformer. It's not that long a game either.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Celeste. Too much twitch style platforming for my liking. Freebie on xbox, so don't feel bad abandoning it. 

12 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Damn, thought I would be the first to post this.  Just not for me.

I tried it too, but it reminded me that I hate Super Meat Boy type platforming hell games.

• Upvote 3

I loved super meat boy on the 360 but I was all meat boyed out afterwards. I skipped the end is nigh despite having loved all of Ed's previous games and celeste hasn't made me want to dip back into the subgenre either.
I'm sure they're both decent games and I might pick them up in the future if and when I get the urge but spelunky has my platforming needs covered for the foreseeable.

Gears of War 4 - I was really enjoying it initially. The gameplay was solid and the story engaging, but it ended up getting really repetitive. At one stage you're following this monster to try and rescue... someone. There must be (and I'm not exagerrating) 15 stages of them going "look, there it goes" where it wanders off to the next section whilst you're forced to fight another series of enemy waves before progressing. Although each area might take place in a different location, strip the surroundings away and you're playing the same level 100 or more times. The solar-flares, or whatever they're called, are just lazy writing. Every time they couldn't figure out how to reduce the tedium of hiding behind chest-high walls, they lob in another flare. I wouldn't mind if there was actually a time limit to make it more urgent to get to where you're going, but you can stand there for an hour and it still wouldn't be any closer. It only gets closer when you reach checkpoints making the whole thing entirely pointless. Also, the sheer number of them just makes it a pain with no explanation as to why they're happening so frequently and why we always seem to be in the path of them. 

After rescuing... the person, and fighting my way out from the lair only to be told that we need to go to another lair to rescue another person, I've just given up. I can't cope with any more of the same. Don't get me wrong, most of what I've described were present in the original, but it just seemed to be a more engaging experience. The level design was better and the story seemed more compelling. This was a dialled in attempt at extending the life of what should have ended with the third.

• Upvote 2