rllmuk
Stanshall

Abandoned Games (2019)

Horizon Zero Dawn

I'm just so bored, 9 hours in. The first time I tried this was straight after BotW and I wrote off my lack of enjoyment of the first couple of hours as being because of that games excellence.

But, no, coming to it again after Christmas, and it's just dull. Beautiful, but dull. Not feeling it at all.

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 2

Didn't think I'd be posting is this thread as I very rarely abandon games but just so Stanshall doesn't feel too lonely...

Voodoo Vince - Remastered

I wouldn't say I loved this back in the day but I enjoyed it for what it was, and when I saw it was 4 quid in the Xbox sale over Xmas I thought 'Why not?' Well, I'll tell you why not; it's pretty shit.

The controls have absolutely no weight to them and couple with a FOV that would make HoloLens say 'Steady on chap' makes the Vince a bit of a chore to play in this post Mario: Odyssey timeline.

Very much a product of it's time and unfortunately no longer worth mine. Still at least I've been able to try and squeeze Mutant Year Zero in before KH3 hits, which I'm enjoying infinitely more.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Forza Horizon 4

"God I love racing games", "god I love loads of cars", "well, I guess I can ignore annoying VO announcers", "I spose I can ignore the sound track", "that bloody airhorn whenever i get near the festival that sounds exactly like the PlayStation 4 overheating beep alarm", "The world is a bit.. well, indistinct and samey", "the online is ok, but everyone just uses super powered S cars and know the tracks better than me because I was a late adopter", "it's a bit shallow", "nothing you do really matters", "none of the races provide any challenge", "tuning / buying upgrades is completely irrelevant", "I guess the racing is ok.. but still doesn't feel right", "oh, ok, i'm getting bored of going off track now", "none of the cars feel different", "um, I'm a bit bored now", "none of the events are particularly interesting", "why do I need so many different t-shirts and top hats?", "ugh, emotes and dancing"...

*boots up Forza 7* "this is so much better, so much infinitely better", "god i love track based, streamlined, polished and perfected racing games"

• Upvote 9
  • Empathy 1

Forza Horizon is a difficult one.  I do want to go back and try and get into again because I loved 2 and 3.  I think the formula may be a bit worn now but mostly there is far too much to do and do really enough to make all the events feel different. The actual racing you get to do is also not significant compared to the rest of the shit they want you to do as well. 

Maybe it is just because they throw so much stuff at you early on, but hopefully for the next one they'll try to rain back the sheer amount of stuff they love loading up the map screen with. 

I'm still playing 3 on and off. Putting aside the fact that from a technical point of view it's one of the most poorly functioning pieces of PC software I've ever bought, there's plenty of fun to be had once you've figured out how you want to play it. For me it has to be as arcadey, knockabout fun though I do turn the rewind off.

Everything does feel very inconsequential though (in single-player at least) and for the first ten hours or so it feels more like a nagging simulator than a game. I pretty much play it when I don't want to be engaged at all and feel like wasting some time on some busywork whilst listening to a record or two. It's a good for when you're hung over and I think that's probably what's saved it from being an entry in one of these threads for me.

I reckon I'll sit 4 out since half the appeal is the exotic locations.

On 06/01/2019 at 16:05, MegaTrousers said:

Hyper Light Drifter can feel clunky to begin with, but it isn't incompetence or lack of resources. It handles exactly as intended and is very satisfying and precise if you get the hang of it. Also, while vague maps can be initially frustrating, the way they force you to pay more attention to the actual environment can add a lot - see also Hollow Knight (which I didn't totally get on with and may be joining the abandoned list for different reasons).

I loved this game but if you leave it for more than a few weeks I found it impossible to remember what to do. And there's no real indicators anywhere. More my problem than the games I'll admit.

I think that's a fair criticism and applies to to a lot of games. Even if you were provided a journal of what you'd done and some notes about the locations it could help that without spoiling the atmosphere.

Regarding Forza Horizon (4) but most of them, I can't quite nail what it is, but it does and will always feel inferior to Test Drive Unlimited (and it's sequel to me) - there was just something about that game that was ... well, yeah, I can't quite nail it. I think it's they've nailed the idea of going to physically own a car, by buying it in a store. It not all being about racing, just cruising around was so satisfying, the driving model was sufficiently weird enough to make every car feel different, even if it wasn't the most realistic thing ever.

I dunno, it had an enormous amount of charm that I think was closer to my ideal open world racing game... (Being able to move the windows up and down.. why?? why?!)... Forza, even though massively more polished feels a bit soul-less. Like they don't really get the idea of super car ownership and how every car is unique and special to it's owner.

• Upvote 6

Just to smash Stanshall's 2019 purge out of the park, a couple of nights back I officially abandoned 46 games on Steam. And you can abandon them properly there, as in completely eradicate their existence from your account as if you never owned them, so I did. I simply didn't want them in any sort of list, uninstalled or otherwise because I really just couldn't see myself playing any of them any more than I had, although none of them were crap games or "what was I ever thinking?" chaff at all really. Obviously I'm not going to detail the lot, but the highlight was probably:

Resident Evil 4 HD (PC)

I'm awful with horror games (anything approaching "mild peril" roots me to the spot) but I do like this, and even managed to play through up to that bit where heads started splitting into weird shit on the GC version, didn't get that far in on the Wii version yet enjoyed the wiimote based head-popping, but now here I was struggling with the dread of getting past the second shed. Evidently I'm regressing. The controls, while being a revelation for an RE game at the time really weren't great then and feel even more archaic now, and my hopeful idea of getting something good going with the Steam controller to try match the Wii never panned out as while the pad is customisable enough, too much of it is just baked into the game. Realised that, great as it is, I'm never really going to be able to enjoy playing it.

Interestingly (well, to me at least), as I was going through marking all this lot off my games list I was really surprised to see how small the total cost of all these games had been. A handful were rllmuk gifts, people's bundle spares for those I wanted to give a try - I've played and enjoyed more of those than not. A decent proportion were various freebies from websites, sort of mid-tier stuff but in the end you can see why they were being given away free. The rest, and largest selection, I bought generally for a bit of a pittance, most likely 80% off minimum by the look of it. Moral of the story is if it's not something I've considered worth buying already for even a fiver then there's a very good chance it's just not worth adding to the pile of shame if it's beyond dirt cheap or even free.

• Upvote 1

And one more from tonight.

Assassin's Creed Revelations (PC)

This got off to a bad start, like something from the bad old days of PC gaming it has some weird stuttering issue (that I half convinced myself was genuine and just animus related for a short while) that's only resolved by deleting a particular file from the install directory. I fancied a bit of assassining though, so I found that out and ploughed on. Found myself feeling a bit constrained in the intro, I know it was the intro but climbing is far more restricted than I recalled, BotW changed expectations there I guess. A crash or two - more bad old PC gaming - and I updated my graphics drivers just in case. Had to do some godawful section where we had to ram each others horse and carriage off the road, except mine was always hitting rough sections and getting battered. Couldn't work out how to do it, til eventually I realised by getting just far enough that you don't really have to and it's just about staying in one piece for long enough 'til a cutscene kicks in :hmm: Back in the animus shortly after that for some incomprehensible exposition from god knows who, and the game crashes again. I sigh, restart, and the same happens. Crash, crash, change graphics settings, crash, crash, search the net, try a couple of things, crash, crash, crash uninstall. I've put in a speculative refund request for my £3.74, but given I made the purchase five years ago I suspect I'll be told to do one, but maybe they'll refund based on the cheek of it :lol: 

On to whatever AC game I own next in the series (that isn't 3)! 

• Upvote 1

On 09/01/2019 at 11:38, McCoy said:

Forza Horizon is a difficult one.  I do want to go back and try and get into again because I loved 2 and 3.  I think the formula may be a bit worn now but mostly there is far too much to do and do really enough to make all the events feel different. The actual racing you get to do is also not significant compared to the rest of the shit they want you to do as well. 

Maybe it is just because they throw so much stuff at you early on, but hopefully for the next one they'll try to rain back the sheer amount of stuff they love loading up the map screen with. 

There’s just absolutely no structure to the single player offline side of things. It’s a mess.

• Upvote 3

Traded in a pile of games earlier today, some of which I didn't complete, so are now officially abandoned.

The Last Guardian (PS4) - I bought this at launch, got a good few hours in and then got distracted. I can't remember what I was supposed to do and can't face the prospect of restarting. So in the bin it goes.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4) - couldn't get into it

Tearaway Unfolded (PS4) - same - couldn't get into it.

Mario Tennis Aces (Switch) - a mess of a game. They really need to get rid of all the gimmicks and power ups, and just go back to playing standard tennis. Add in a proper adventure mode like the GameBoy entries and the PSP version of Everybody's Tennis and we'd be golden. A huge disappointment. I'll stick with the Wii U game.

Octopath Traveller (Switch) - it looks nice in screenshots, but whilst playing the 2D sprites on a 3D background with washed out colours (50 shades of grey) reminded me of Ogre Battle on the N64. Ogre Battle probably looks far worse than this, but yeah - it's not a looker. Anyhow, it's all about gameplay and I just found this so slow. I was waiting for it to pick up and it never happened. In the bin it goes.

• Upvote 4

Ugh god, I absolutely hated the last guardian. After the initial "oh bloody hell, look at that" of the big birdycat thing, the controls. oh god the controls

the 1990's rang and want their 3d adventure platformer mechanics back

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

I really really hated the first two thirds of TLG, absolutely wanted to destroy the beast and my console and myself and then it suddenly started to go a bit more smoothly once feather bollocks behaved himself and by the end I was crying my eyes out with joy and sadness and everything and I was thinking it's the best ever game. I've tried to go back a couple of times and I just can't face it but it's definitely one which only shows itself on a full playthrough, I reckon.

I'd say Nier Automata is similar. For at least half the playtime, I was bored and yet it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. Totally and utterly redeemed by the completion, something I've never experienced elsewhere in any medium. Sounds like hyperbolic bollocks but no, it's completely accurate and reasonable. 

• Upvote 2

The Surge

Really really want to like this, as the combination of Souls gameplay with the System Shock aesthetic is so far up my street it's basically in my driveway. But, I just can't. It's frustrating as shit, annoying and worst of all feels grossly unfair, often. And I'm not even past the first boss.

Fuck this.

• Upvote 4

With regards to The Last Guardian, starting over and spending an age trying to get the feathered dog to do as I wanted, was an unappealing proposition.

One more to the list:

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Switch) - I don't have the patience to die over and over, and then be forced to restart from my last save. It's basically far too hard for my gaming skills.

On 12/01/2019 at 19:19, Pelekophoros said:

The Surge

Really really want to like this, as the combination of Souls gameplay with the System Shock aesthetic is so far up my street it's basically in my driveway. But, I just can't. It's frustrating as shit, annoying and worst of all feels grossly unfair, often. And I'm not even past the first boss.

Fuck this.

A friend of mine really, really likes this game, couldn't believe I did the same as you - found it sluggish, unresponsive and frustrating with an terrible camera and incredibly shite level design. That boss is hard because of the really unfair camera and arena design more than any kind of fiendishly balanced combat. Where a good one of these games regularly gives you a challenge that seems almost overwhelmingly impossible at first but can be overcome simply by improving your skill and understanding of the combat system, this is one of those ones where the challenge is more like the developers trolling you so that you have to find exploits to cheese the game back. 

One thing was that I'd played Nioh and he hasn't, I think that game ruined Dark Souls-style games that have that lumbering, awkward combat for me. There are things to like in The Surge so it's a shame that it's everything you said, and feels so crap to play. 

Here's one I have abandoned but may go back to:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance 

When this was announced years ago I nearly backed the kickstarter, the idea of a Mount and Blade meets Skyrim realistic RPG was very compelling. My tastes have changed a bit since then (and the developers are a bit gamergate), so I was less excited to play this but still interested. 

I actually quite like a lot about this game but between this and Red Dead 2 I think I have realised I simply don't have the time and patience any more for games which in the interests of verisimilitude really restrict your capabilities and give you loads of deliberately very mundane activities and quests, making you very manually do and think about everything that other games abstract. You really can't fight anyone at all at the start of the game without help because you have to learn how to fight. You even have to learn to read ffs. It's not very satisfying to play a game where things I can do in real life are exceptionally difficult or need to be learned. I am a 5'7" disabled weakling coward but even I can fight better than Muggins of Not-Rivia here.

There is a very elaborate but mildly confusing conversation skill system. Also the lockpicking is fucking terrible.  I admire the ambition of it more than I can be bothered playing, I think, but I also feel I need to give to more of a chance eventually, there is something unique and intriguing about it. 

• Upvote 2

Red Dead 2 - After the hype of starting it up and trying to accept the shite controls I can't see myself ever booting this up again. Can I still get a decent price for this in CEX? lol.

edit: £23, nope.

On 07/01/2019 at 19:41, Pelekophoros said:

Horizon Zero Dawn

I'm just so bored, 9 hours in. The first time I tried this was straight after BotW and I wrote off my lack of enjoyment of the first couple of hours as being because of that games excellence.

But, no, coming to it again after Christmas, and it's just dull. Beautiful, but dull. Not feeling it at all.

I completely understand this. Same reason why I didn't go on to anything else after HZD. HZD is an amazing games, just as I'm sure BotW is but one after the other in any order is going to be tough.

On 06/01/2019 at 13:57, Stanshall said:

Yoku's Island Express (Switch)

The magic of backtracking combined with the precise platforming action only pinball can provide! Fantastic little soundtrack and it looks lovely but the basic concept is an exercise in frustration for me. It sets you the most basic of tasks and then withholds your progress on the gravitational whims of a bouncing ball. 

Yeah I've kind of given up on it too. Also I lost my save and haven't been bothered to start again

Speaking of losing your save and therefore giving up on a game (I'm preparing for negs here)

Zelda: Breathe of the Wild

Must have had about 30 hours on this but I lost my save and now I have zero desire to start again. The game's already big enough as it is, never mind having to redo everything I'd already done. Maybe one day I will try again, but I very much doubt it.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Spent about 10 hours or so , and really is the most boring shite. The reboot was great, Rise was good, this is just so mundane. I may go back and finish it at some point  but i'm not in any rush

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah I've kind of given up on it too. Also I lost my save and haven't been bothered to start again

Speaking of losing your save and therefore giving up on a game (I'm preparing for negs here)

Zelda: Breathe of the Wild

Must have had about 30 hours on this but I lost my save and now I have zero desire to start again. The game's already big enough as it is, never mind having to redo everything I'd already done. Maybe one day I will try again, but I very much doubt it.

How do you keep losing saves?

A couple more sold, so now officially abandoned:

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - way too much emphasis on stealth for my liking. I don't have the patience for it.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (PS4) - purchased in error. I knew that the original was highly regarded, but I didn't realise this is basically an action RPG in 2D form. I'm not in the market for such a time commitment, especially when I have a backlog of RPG's I'd rather play.

And another deleted off my xbox games list:

Riptide GP Renegade (Xbox One) - I never really got the love for Wave Race - racing games on water are in my opinion a bit meh. This is rather soulless if polished for a budget game, but I have better things to play. Only cost me £2 so not the end of the world. Deleted.

Dead Cells

The bosses killed my enjoyment of this. Spending 30-40 minutes on a run, only to get destroyed in about 30 seconds by a boss with screen-filling attacks and a huge health bar, and then having to start all over again, isn't fun, especially when it happens three times in a row against the same boss. I don't know why the developers decided to have the bosses respawn; I think the game would be a lot more enjoyable if you only had to fight them once, like in Souls.

It's a shame, as most other aspects of the game I enjoyed - the combat and traversal has a great rhythm to it, and the whole thing is very slick. If I had a bit more time (and patience) I'd probably stick to it as far as the credits, but as it is I can't be arsed. I haven't really played that many, but in my experience rouguelikes can either be fantastic (Spelunky, Downwell) or too frustrating to bother with (Enter the Gungeon, this), and seeing as they typically take a fairly big time investment to see through to the end, if they don't get it bang on then I end up abandoning them.

• Upvote 6

Iconoclasts. I quite enjoyed the 5 hours I spent on it and how the map opened upon as you gained new abilities. But the signposting is poor and it's often quite unclear where on earth you should go. Plus the map doesn't seem to allow you to zoom in. When it started to become an exercise in frustration I gave up. Freebie though, so got my money's worth. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Dead Cells

The bosses killed my enjoyment of this. Spending 30-40 minutes on a run, only to get destroyed in about 30 seconds by a boss with screen-filling attacks and a huge health bar, and then having to start all over again, isn't fun, especially when it happens three times in a row against the same boss. I don't know why the developers decided to have the bosses respawn; I think the game would be a lot more enjoyable if you only had to fight them once, like in Souls.

It's a shame, as most other aspects of the game I enjoyed - the combat and traversal has a great rhythm to it, and the whole thing is very slick. If I had a bit more time (and patience) I'd probably stick to it as far as the credits, but as it is I can't be arsed. I haven't really played that many, but in my experience rouguelikes can either be fantastic (Spelunky, Downwell) or too frustrating to bother with (Enter the Gungeon, this), and seeing as they typically take a fairly big time investment to see through to the end, if they don't get it bang on then I end up abandoning them.

I think Dead Cells is one of the most overrated games in years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2