rllmuk
Stanshall

Abandoned Games (2019)

Sonic Mania - The only classic game I've played was Sonic 1, and I bounced off that pretty hard after Green Hill Zone. But I enjoyed Freedom Planet, and picked this up based on the praise, and uh, I just don't really like it.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Okami HD (Switch)

I stuck with this for about four hours before getting bored. It's doesn't do anything especially egregious (although the representation of female characters, which I've talked about in another thread, leaves a lot to be desired), but I was distinctly aware that I was playing a PS2 game while playing it, and action-adventure games of this type have moved on a lot since it was originally released. While it may well have garnered lots of critical acclaim 12 years ago, post-BOTW.......

Next!

PRECISELY my experience. I got a good 10-15 hours in though, then checked a guide and was like fuuuuuuu that. Way too big. 

• Upvote 2

On 22/03/2019 at 11:59, MattyP said:

Seriously... I think it depends what you expectations were.

I expected it to be... good? It's boring. People forgive mediocrity in games far too much, in my opinion. Sunk cost fallacy, maybe? 

Give it another try....

Once I've completed Sekiro, Division 2, DMC5, Resi 2, ZeroRanger and Devil Engine, and if no other good games have come out in the meantime, I'll put GoW 4 back on. 

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Sonic Mania - The only classic game I've played was Sonic 1, and I bounced off that pretty hard after Green Hill Zone. But I enjoyed Freedom Planet, and picked this up based on the praise, and uh, I just don't really like it.

I completed Mania and I agree, it's not good. People really need to take off those rose-tinted specs. For the record, I really, really like Sonic Colors - it's what Adventure should have been and a great romp. 

9 minutes ago, spanx said:

PRECISELY my experience. I got a good 10-15 hours in though, then checked a guide and was like fuuuuuuu that. Way too big. 

I went even further than that - I put about 30 hours I to it on release before giving up. Its OK, but way too vast and ultimately dull because of it. 

37 minutes ago, spanx said:

Another one for this, and for the same reasons. I want to love it, but can't

Add Yooka-Laylee as well. Way too unfocused and floaty for me, enjoyed the time I spent with it, but it suffers the same way BanjoTooie does. Levels and hub too big and confusing for me,

• Upvote 2

While I’m here... Ace Combat 7. I really loved it, but hit a mission early on that I just kept dying on. And that was that. Can’t see me picking it again tbh. 

14 minutes ago, spanx said:

While I’m here... Ace Combat 7. I really loved it, but hit a mission early on that I just kept dying on. And that was that. Can’t see me picking it again tbh. 

Go play multiplayer for an hour. You’ll get loads of points for plane upgrades.

• Upvote 1

Resident Evil 2. Dunno why I bought this, I didn't even like it first time round. It just felt like a grind, always under pressure to manage your resources.

Luckily I re-bought Captain Toad at the same time which is about a million times better.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Treble said:

I expected it to be... good? It's boring. People forgive mediocrity in games far too much, in my opinion. Sunk cost fallacy, maybe? 

Well think I got it on GamePass can't remember.  Anyway same could be said for getting games cheap more dismissive and perhaps less inclined to  give them a try? Or at least give them some time?  I know this happens to me with sale games or now GamePass games. Just spend a few moments on something and then move on because I haven't invested too many £££'s.

Anyhow GoW4 picked up for me on the second 2/3rds of the game - really enjoyed it. But then I've liked all the games in the series really. Just good  old shooters big guys with big guns. Big nasty aliens. Some story. Modern day space invaders really.... 

It's just dawned on me this morning that I have abandoned Crackdown 3. Enjoyed it to a certain point but (maybe my tastes have changed) I found it instantly became repetitive, yet loved the first game (second one was ok).

I just have the last boss to do, plus a load of orbs and driving sections to mop up. I was playing it in tandem with Arkham Knight, maybe that's half of the problem, and am really enjoying that. It being much deeper probably has taken the shine off of Crackdown.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Well think I got it on GamePass can't remember.  Anyway same could be said for getting games cheap more dismissive and perhaps less inclined to  give them a try? Or at least give them some time?  I know this happens to me with sale games or now GamePass games. Just spend a few moments on something and then move on because I haven't invested too many £££'s.

Anyhow GoW4 picked up for me on the second 2/3rds of the game - really enjoyed it. But then I've liked all the games in the series really. Just good  old shooters big guys with big guns. Big nasty aliens. Some story. Modern day space invaders really.... 

Well, you don't actually know how long I put into it :lol:

It was about two hours, which is a fairly long time to be honest. I value free time more than money, for sure.

Still, you seem to be working quite hard to convince me, so I'll play some more when I get time. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Treble said:

Well, you don't actually know how long I put into it :lol:

It was about two hours, which is a fairly long time to be honest. I value free time more than money, for sure.

Still, you seem to be working quite hard to convince me, so I'll play some more when I get time. 

Well only saying LOL. I did the same as you when I got it! Think I was fatigued with the franchise or just had too many games. So I left it. Eventually went back to it and after a couple of hours or so I was hooked... Not sure what clicked with me. I was flicking between playing on PC and Xbox. Although do think it plays much better at 60fps.

The Gardens Between (Switch)

Was so bored by this. I gave it about 9 or 10 levels and then sacked it off. Just wasn't interesting in the slightest.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Was so bored by this. I gave it about 9 or 10 levels and then sacked it off. Just wasn't interesting in the slightest.

Yeah I thought it was pretty mediocre. Thankfully it’s short in length, and despite that I was fed up with it by the end.

• Upvote 1

Just now, gossi the dog said:

Yeah I thought it was pretty mediocre. Thankfully it’s short in length, and despite that I was fed up with it by the end.

Fed up is a perfect way to describe how I felt too. Don't know if I even made it to 9 levels tbh, I was just taking a guess. 

22 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's a good Sonic game. It's just that Sonic games are actually a bit rubbish. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I've  been playing this on GamePass. One that I liked the look of and it was going to be a purchase on the Switch. Think I'm upto level 8 or 9. Some interesting concepts but its running out of steam now and getting a bit tired of it. Shame really as I really enjoyed it initially.

• Upvote 1

I’m surprised by how expensive The Gardens Between is when not on sale. It definitely isn’t worth £18. I played it on Game Pass but had I paid more than a fiver I’d have been annoyed.

Night in the Woods (Switch)

I've played this for over two hours now, waiting for it to properly begin and get interesting, but it hasn't so far and I really can't be arsed to go back to it. There's no real 'game' here as such at all. You literally just walk around taking to people. That's it. No puzzles, no exploring, no challenge, nothing. There's very occasionally a rhythm action section, but that's the extent to what I would call 'gameplay', and it's not very satisfying. It's like a visual novel that's been arbitrarily padded out with walking around from place to place for not particular reason.

If the writing was more interesting then I might have stuck with it, but nothing has really grabbed me at all from what I've played so far. It's just another story about small-town America populated by quirky, wise-cracking hipster characters that I've read or watched a dozen times before, except this time the characters just happen to be animals, although they might as well not be seeing as their being so doesn't affect the narrative at all. It seems that the story would be better off being a graphic novel than a videogame, and tonally and themetically it reminds me very strongly of Ghost World by Daniel Clowes, almost to the point where it's a bit of a rip off, except Ghost World is much more engaging. A shame, as I'd read lots of good things about this.

Anyway, two impulse eshop purposes abandoned in two days! People will start calling me @Stanshall.I really need to stop and think before I buy digital games. Thankfully I've got lots of other impulse eshop purchases to play, starting with Iconoclasts. Next!

• Upvote 6

Played Okami when it came out on PS2 and whilst I loved the aesthetic it really was a massive grind and took ages to get anywhere. Also it held your hand far too far into the game, telling you how to solve the simple puzzles, robbing you of any sense of achievement. The final straw was trying to paint stuff with the analogue stick - it couldn't tell the difference between a spiral and a circle. I have the Wii version and fancy giving it a go but the idea of slogging through it puts me off.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Anyway, two impulse eshop purposes abandoned in two days! People will start calling me @Stanshall.I really need to stop and think before I buy digital games. Thankfully I've got lots of other impulse eshop purchases to play, starting with Iconoclasts. Next!

Hopefully you should enjoy Iconoclasts as I known I certainly did. As long as you like the Metroid style thing and great pixel graphics. Was super impressed this was by one person. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

Hopefully you should enjoy Iconoclasts as I known I certainly did. As long as you like the Metroid style thing and great pixel graphics. Was super impressed this was by one person. 

I hope so. Metroidvanias are a lot more my thing.

Time to drag two forum darlings through the muck!

*Negatron armed and ready for deployment*

Ikaruga (Switch)

I find this frustrating and boring and I simply don't have the time or patience required to see it through. The lack of instant restarts doesn't help, either. I know for lots of people it's supposed to be absolute genius and the pinnacle of the genre, but I'm not a big player of shmups and as a noob I thought it was pretty inaccessible and not very much fun. I tried about two dozen times to get through the second level but just got destroyed by the boss each time, and I can't be done with replaying the slooooooow start to the stage any more, where you have to navigate the stupid boxes. Plus I can't really see it very well when I'm playing it in handheld mode, which is how I play my Switch 90% of the time, and I'm too tight to import a flipgrip just for one game. Not for me, I'm afraid, which is a shame as I'd convinced myself that this was going to be the title to get me interested in shooters.

Resident Evil 4 (PS4)

I got up to the village elder boss but I can't be done with playing it any longer, especially seeing as I know it like the back of my hand anyway from seeing it through so many times on the GC as a lad. I know many will outcast me as a heretic for saying so, but, as I've posted in a couple of other threads already, I fear more modern over-the-shoulder-perspective action games that have been made in Resi 4's wake have sadly ruined this for me. I can't get into my groove with the restricting controls, and not being able to move and shoot at the same time is infuriating. This game will always have a special place in my heart, and although I entirely understand how important, ground-breaking and seminal it was, I just don't think it's that fun to play in 2019. I'll gladly revisit it when the (surely inevitable?) Resi 2-style remake comes around in a year or two's time.

• Upvote 4

Iconoclasts

Seeing as I tend to enjoy Metroidvanias, I really thought this was going to be my thing, but after three and a half hours of play I'm bored, lost and not particularly bothered about carrying on. It certainly looks the part (although the environments are somewhat repetitive), and as admirable as it is that it's all been made by one person, there are a number of design issues that you get the feeling wouldn't have passed through QA if it was made by a bigger studio. Ultimately I found it all a bit uninspired. The story is bobbins, too.

Sorry @Soulstar.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Soulstar said:

@Jamie JohnWhat others do you recommend in the Metroid vania style? 

Hollow Knight is the best I've ever played. Guacamelee, Steamworld Dig 2, Samus Returns, Axiom Verge and Shadow Complex are all great as well, as are the DS Castlevania games. It depends how far you want to go back, really, and how strict or loose your definition of the term is, and whether or not you're including 3D games (in which case, Arkham Asylum is probably the best).

Lots of people enjoy Dead Cells (which is more of a roguelike) Yoku's Island Express and Owlboy, but I abandoned the first two and only begrudgingly completed the third.

I've got Guacamelee 2 and The Messenger to play on my switch (although the latter is more an action game with Metroidvania elements, from what I understand). I've read good things about Sundered as well.

It's my favourite genre of 2D game :)

• Upvote 5

On 29/03/2019 at 23:30, Jamie John said:

Time to drag two forum darlings through the muck!

*Negatron armed and ready for deployment*

Ikaruga (Switch)

I find this frustrating and boring and I simply don't have the time or patience required to see it through. The lack of instant restarts doesn't help, either. I know for lots of people it's supposed to be absolute genius and the pinnacle of the genre, but I'm not a big player of shmups and as a noob I thought it was pretty inaccessible and not very much fun. I tried about two dozen times to get through the second level but just got destroyed by the boss each time, and I can't be done with replaying the slooooooow start to the stage any more, where you have to navigate the stupid boxes. Plus I can't really see it very well when I'm playing it in handheld mode, which is how I play my Switch 90% of the time, and I'm too tight to import a flipgrip just for one game. Not for me, I'm afraid, which is a shame as I'd convinced myself that this was going to be the title to get me interested in shooters.

Resident Evil 4 (PS4)

I got up to the village elder boss but I can't be done with playing it any longer, especially seeing as I know it like the back of my hand anyway from seeing it through so many times on the GC as a lad. I know many will outcast me as a heretic for saying so, but, as I've posted in a couple of other threads already, I fear more modern over-the-shoulder-perspective action games that have been made in Resi 4's wake have sadly ruined this for me. I can't get into my groove with the restricting controls, and not being able to move and shoot at the same time is infuriating. This game will always have a special place in my heart, and although I entirely understand how important, ground-breaking and seminal it was, I just don't think it's that fun to play in 2019. I'll gladly revisit it when the (surely inevitable?) Resi 2-style remake comes around in a year or two's time.

Good post. I'm not going to try and talk you into replaying Ikaruga. I'd say it gained its rep because it was aimed at precisely the player you aren't: played tons of verts, very into the genre, like really strong challenges, appreciated the new black/white dynamic for scoring as much as destructive potential. I really like it even though I'm not good at it (or any vert, for that matter, even though I've played dozens!) Don't feel bad about giving up on that one, I'd say :)

As for Resi 4, I'm going to be heretical and say the Wii version is the utterly definitive version of the game. The wiimote controls make controlling Leon much more fun, and aiming becomes much more natural. Easier? Maybe a shade, but as the skill is in technique and crowd control, not as nerfed as you'd expect. The controls aren't immediately intuitive, but once you adjust to them they are very precise. If you have the means, I'd say play the Wii version to see if it clicks, otherwise you're probably safe consigning it to the past.

• Upvote 1