rllmuk
Stanshall

Abandoned Games (2019)

Ni No Kuni II

I spent about seven hours on this before my interest started to wane. It's not an especially bad game and it looks beautiful (apart from the frame-rate issues), but it's not especially engaging, either: forgettable characters, an unsatisfying, unchallenging battle system and themes and tropes I've seen a hundred times before. There's other games I'd rather spend my time on. I've ended up trading it in for more than I paid for it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Ni No Kuni II

I spent about seven hours on this before my interest started to wane. It's not an especially bad game and it looks beautiful (apart from the frame-rate issues), but it's not especially engaging, either: forgettable characters, an unsatisfying, unchallenging battle system and themes and tropes I've seen a hundred times before. There's other games I'd rather spend my time on. I've ended up trading it in for more than I paid for it.

Shame you didn't get on with it, but at least you got your money back! 

• Upvote 1

Gunlord (Switch)

I've played this for about 4-5 hours and it's just bland and not fun. It's a Turrican clone/rip-off with none of the charm that instantly hooked me with Factor 5's two Amiga games. The level design is dull and there's no logic to the enemy placement which forces you to constantly use the laser to clear loads of little turrets out. The health system is bad - instead of an energy bar that depletes based on how much damage you've taken it uses a 3-hits-and-you're-dead approach that means the smallest projectile harms you as much as a massive laser. It seems to have been intended as hybrid of coin-gobbling arcade (it was originally released on the Neo-Geo a few years back) and Turrican homage.

I wish I'd checked it out more thoroughly on YouTube, but I didn't want to spoil it and I'm a sucker for Turrican. Never mind, more time for my Splatoon 2 addiction.

Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch) - A slightly odd one, in that there's nothing inherently bad here, yet at the same time I struggled to motivate myself to play more than a level or two at a time before wanting to switch it off. To be honest I just don't think I particularly like 2D platformers.

• Empathy 1

Prey

Bought this in a sale months ago and I just couldn't get into it. The atmosphere was great and I loved the setting but the resource gathering/crafting mechanic didn't click with me plus the monsters were a pain to fight (the big ones) and the fact they respawned only made it worse. I must have died a number of times with little progress made.

Maybe try another time but it wasn't what I was expecting.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Prey

Bought this in a sale months ago and I just couldn't get into it. The atmosphere was great and I loved the setting but the resource gathering/crafting mechanic didn't click with me plus the monsters were a pain to fight (the big ones) and the fact they respawned only made it worse. I must have died a number of times with little progress made.

I found the first part of Prey tough and the respawning monsters were a pain. There was one part early on - I suspect the bit you are talking about where you break out into the main lobby - where I almost gave up too. The trick is to just get past that as best you can by using stealth and quicksaving. And if you can bear it turning the difficulty down.

Once you get to the tighter corridor areas the game starts to click. It's actually wonderful.

• Upvote 1

Cheers @Mawdlin I got to the lobby and then into the area just past that (security station which branches into loads of different areas including one with a big rupture in the hull). It was all a bit overwhelming at this point.

I kind of went into playing this a bit blind only knowing that it was well received by gaming press and didn't have anything to do with the original Prey. I did enjoy the opening sequence and the whole false reality thing, some great story telling that sets the scene.

39 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Cheers @Mawdlin I got to the lobby and then into the area just past that (security station which branches into loads of different areas including one with a big rupture in the hull). It was all a bit overwhelming at this point.

I kind of went into playing this a bit blind only knowing that it was well received by gaming press and didn't have anything to do with the original Prey. I did enjoy the opening sequence and the whole false reality thing, some great story telling that sets the scene.

I'm not ashamed to admit I turned the difficulty down (which I hate doing) but loved the Deus-Ex qualities of this game thereafter.

Tomb Raider 2013 - was enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would, had picked it up in a Steam sale years ago. Managed to get past the half-way mark, had a good 10 hours on the clock as I was searching for all the stuff. But just got to a part where you had to stealth-kill about 500 guys, and if you get spotted they set the dogs on you. I managed 14 at one point and got spotted -back to square one. A few more attempts just got my blood boiling. Fucking stealth ruins everything.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 2

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 07:44, Jg15 said:

Prey

I dream of finishing Prey one day. The easy setting is called "story mode" or some such, bollocks is it a story mode. I still go back to it once a month or so ( I must have restarted it 5 times) as the atmosphere is amazing.

I also gave up Prey for the same reasons as others have stated here.

I really loved the beginning of it too, but then it started throwing far too many things at me in regards to what I could do, the controls became far too complicated and this combined with the re-spawning enemies and the overall difficulty of it all(even on easy), I just gave up on it and uninstalled it.

Football Manager 2019

I was debating buying this earlier in the year so was happy to see it pop-up under Game Pass. Unfortunately, after about 3 or so completely joyless and painful hours I have no intention of ever going back to it and, I feel this series is no longer for me.

Having spent thousands of hours in various incarnations (including great times with my friend over LAN), the last entry I put significant time into was FM12. At that point it was starting to get a bit cluttered with fluff that, whilst further building a world within the game, didn't actually make it fun and just slowed stuff down (team talks, press interviews etc). The 3D engine back then was rough, too, and wasn't engaging enough to want to watch for every game - so it was commentary only other than for 'big' matches.

Fast forward to now then and woah boy the superfluous stuff has really got out of control! Who cares what a make-believe fan is posting on social media? Who wants a 21-question press interview (which I only did that one time because it was complete rubbish)? As I posted in the relevant thread, it took me 45 minutes to get through 2 days and a match (I appreciate some of that was slow processing speed, but a lot was just all the crap to click through.) Crazy.

And the match engine - dear lord it is bad. How, after 6/7 years since its introduction, can it look so bad? Players glide across the field, the angles of legs not matching their movements, animations are stiff and lifeless. Honestly, watching CPU v CPU matches in Emlyn Hughes on the C64 about 25 years ago looked better.

Still, whilst I'm glad I can walk away from this and be happy with that decision, I am a bit sad that I'll probably never play the series again - and I really was looking forward to it after reading the stories of those playing in the dedicated thread. Life is too short however to spend so much time on something I'm just not enjoying in the slightest so whilst the right decision, there's still some regret.

• Upvote 1

Sonic Mania 

Borderlands 2 - They did like a mega pack of everything for £5 in the Steam Sale, and gave me £5 credit. I guess I can say it feels like a product of its' time? Every weapon is inaccurate as shit beyond like 20 feet, and the character classes and upgrades feel positively meagre after so many modern games doing "powers" and "ultimates". And at some point I checked the max level and just noped out.

Darkest Dungeon - This is a game where they placated backers in Early Access who had mastered everything over new potential players by making it significantly more difficult midway through development, and it's hurt as a result. And like, I knew all that going in, it's why I held off buying it for so long until it got dead cheap, but still. I'm a pretty old hand at roguelikes, and just seeing the deaths and consequences and the need to abandon missions before I'm even out of the tutorial just decided it wasn't really worth my time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Darkest Dungeon - This is a game where they placated backers in Early Access who had mastered everything over new potential players by making it significantly more difficult midway through development, and it's hurt as a result. And like, I knew all that going in, it's why I held off buying it for so long until it got dead cheap, but still. I'm a pretty old hand at roguelikes, and just seeing the deaths and consequences and the need to abandon missions before I'm even out of the tutorial just decided it wasn't really worth my time.

Not to change your mind or anything, but playing Darkest Dungeon with the mindset of keeping everyone alive will always be a let-down. A fair chunk of it is feeding meat to the grinder. Decent game.

22 hours ago, Gabe said:

Football Manager 2019

I was debating buying this earlier in the year so was happy to see it pop-up under Game Pass. Unfortunately, after about 3 or so completely joyless and painful hours I have no intention of ever going back to it and, I feel this series is no longer for me.

Having spent thousands of hours in various incarnations (including great times with my friend over LAN), the last entry I put significant time into was FM12. At that point it was starting to get a bit cluttered with fluff that, whilst further building a world within the game, didn't actually make it fun and just slowed stuff down (team talks, press interviews etc). The 3D engine back then was rough, too, and wasn't engaging enough to want to watch for every game - so it was commentary only other than for 'big' matches.

Fast forward to now then and woah boy the superfluous stuff has really got out of control! Who cares what a make-believe fan is posting on social media? Who wants a 21-question press interview (which I only did that one time because it was complete rubbish)? As I posted in the relevant thread, it took me 45 minutes to get through 2 days and a match (I appreciate some of that was slow processing speed, but a lot was just all the crap to click through.) Crazy.

And the match engine - dear lord it is bad. How, after 6/7 years since its introduction, can it look so bad? Players glide across the field, the angles of legs not matching their movements, animations are stiff and lifeless. Honestly, watching CPU v CPU matches in Emlyn Hughes on the C64 about 25 years ago looked better.

Still, whilst I'm glad I can walk away from this and be happy with that decision, I am a bit sad that I'll probably never play the series again - and I really was looking forward to it after reading the stories of those playing in the dedicated thread. Life is too short however to spend so much time on something I'm just not enjoying in the slightest so whilst the right decision, there's still some regret.

This is what you want - https://www.champman0102.co.uk/

@Vimster I tried replaying CM01/02 (with updated squads) 2 or 3 years ago precisely for the same reason - i.e. too much bloat in later games - but it went the other way and had too little depth. I think FM07 or 08 was probably a good mix of depth and speed - maybe I should see if I still have that on Steam...

23 hours ago, Gabe said:

@Vimster I tried replaying CM01/02 (with updated squads) 2 or 3 years ago precisely for the same reason - i.e. too much bloat in later games - but it went the other way and had too little depth. I think FM07 or 08 was probably a good mix of depth and speed - maybe I should see if I still have that on Steam...

FM 2019 Touch (I think that's what it's called) might be what you're after, it's much more streamlined. I play that version more than the full one now.

Watch Dogs 2

I think I might have broken a record, here. I saw this for £11.99 and stupidly, despite it having a demo, decided to go for it as I fancied a current gen GTA V clone. My eyes nearly rolled out the back of my head during the cutscenes after the opening tutorial. 'Us hackers need to fight the power!!' I don't think I've ever hated a game quite so much so quickly. It feels like Black Mirror if it was written by a 14 year old. I jumped in a car, drove around for about 30 seconds and turned it off.

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr. The game is as clunky as the title. It's like they looked at ARPGS like diablo and went "pft, that looks way too simple. Let's make it really obtuse and complex. And put random numbers on the mission screens. And not let them change their equipment midgame. And not explain anything."

It's a shame, I was quite looking forward to it.

Oh and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 probably because a)the camera is the worst I've seen in probably a decade and b)it just feels of bargain basement production values. 

On 10/08/2019 at 09:40, moosegrinder said:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 probably because a)the camera is the worst I've seen in probably a decade and b)it just feels of bargain basement production values. 

I'm so disappointed at the reception this has gotten. 

Was really looking forward to it. 

Catherine (Xbox 360) - I'm not a fan of the block shifting puzzles. Plus it's just a bit too weird for my liking. It only cost me £3 and it's saved me from buying the PS4 remake, so not a total loss.

Metro: Exodus - thought it was trash. Clunky controls and movement and the worst voice acting I’ve heard in a long old time.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - just got bored but enjoyed the first 10-12 hours out of the 15 I put in.

BloodStained Ritual of the Night - what was probably not my sort of game to begin with made worse by being clearly unfinished and in need of a lot of work that, frankly, I have no interest in hanging around for (switch version)

Katana Zero - great game but after a few attempts at the final boss and was also playing Sekiro at the time. There was only room in my life  for one bastard hard boss in my life at the time.

Cadence of Hyrule - I don’t get it. I mean, I get it but I couldn’t be bothered to get good. I don’t quite get the logic of taking a game series that (to me) is all about exploration and turning it into a game that basically limits your movement. Unlike some of the others on the list I can understand why some would love it, I just didn’t.

• Upvote 2

On 14/08/2019 at 10:16, Strafe said:

Metro: Exodus - thought it was trash. Clunky controls and movement and the worst voice acting I’ve heard in a long old time.

I sacked this off as well but mainly because the Microsoft Store version is an absolute shitshow, even by Microsoft Store standards.

This does kind of fit my experience of trying the preceeding games twice each anyway though, so that makes me feel better.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PS4) - This is so slow moving. I must have played this for around 10 hours and I've just finished the first island, and in all honesty I've had more than enough.

• Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Thumper (Switch)

I'm not enjoying this enough to slog through it to the end. Initially I set myself the task of getting A or S rank on every stage, and although I managed to do this for the first four levels, once I got to level five it was taking me at least 10 attempts per stage to get A or S, which sucks the fun out of the game a lot. I thought after that I'd forget about getting a good score and focus instead on just getting through each stage without crashing; however, if you do this, missing notes and rings, it just doesn't really sound like music at all and you end up muddling your way through to the finish line without much sense of satisfaction.

Pretty much every other rhythm action game I've ever played has graduated difficulty levels for a reason: even if you're playing on the easiest settings, tapping away at the occasional note with nowhere near the complexity of the real song, it still feels good when you're made to believe that you're actually making music. This game doesn't have difficulty levels and just chucks you straight in with lots of notes and patterns hurtling towards you very quickly. If you miss a single one then it just sounds godawful, like a drummer missing a beat, which is definitely realistic but also not very much fun. It's a shame as when you get into the zone, smashing every note and hitting every turn, it's very satisfying. Ultimately, I just don't have the patience to get gud.

Sonic Mania 

Borderlands 2

Darkest Dungeon

Mutant Year Zero - I enjoyed this, it's an X-COMy thing except it's real time out of battle, which feels a lot better than the slow turn-based crawl across the map in that game, and got most of the way through it.

But it's really fucking hard. I've completed XCOM 1 and 2 on the second hardest difficulty, but this was harder than them on Easy. Enemy types are really hard to deal with, like one that can summon three additional enemies every couple of turns is introduced in the second fight of the game. Your medkits and grenades are persistent and limited, do shit damage/healing, require backtracking to the base to restock and are really expensive, and currency is scarce and finite. And having only three characters mean one going down really fucks you, as half of your next turn has to be spent getting them back up.

And there's a levelling system, so enemies get much more health, while the damage your weapons do stay the same. Somehow I ended up five levels behind the enemies in level, despite the game having a finite number of encounters and having explored all the side areas for optional ones, and this meant I couldn't kill any of them in a single turn with everyone focusing on them (there's a big focus on using silenced weapons to thin out groups before open combat) and that meant I couldn't win the encounter gating my progression, I must have tried 20 times.

• Upvote 2