rllmuk
Stanshall

Abandoned Games

On 08/02/2020 at 12:09, Gabe said:

There's no difficulty settings, no.

I accept that I'm not skilled enough to progress. In truth I'm not a fan of the Souls-like structure of everything respawning and seeing the same areas again and again either (I put over 100 hours into Dark Souls and I still don't think I actually enjoyed it). The story here was intriguing though. I may try and give it one more attempt.

So I did go back to try again and I did beat the ninja, only to go upstairs and promptly be mercilessly butchered (repeatedly) by some scorpion-like thing. This has now been uninstalled and I might youtube the cinematics to see how it all pans out.

Abandoned another last night, too: The Signal From Tolva

It's an open world FPS where you look for anomalies to scan for some reason. The hour or so I had with it certainly felt like I'd seen all it has to offer. This was compounded by the fact that. as an FPS the shooting was very poor - and as an open world game the environment was pretty lifeless and uninteresting. Happy to have moved on from it.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

DOOM (2016) - Don't get me wrong, this game is superb, far exceeded my expectations. It's fast and exciting and loud. But I think I chose the wrong difficulty (Hurt Me Plenty). Every encounter has been die 6 times and eventually, through sheer luck, make it and move on. But it has got to a point now where I don't want to do a battle multiple times to progress. There's die a couple of times and try a new strategy, that's grand, but it has now got to, when I go back to a checkpoint I thump the desk in frustration. And that's not what I play video games for. So, with regret I uninstall and move on.

50 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I assumed you couldn't do that without restarting.

4 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Um, lower the difficulty setting?

You can't change difficulty on the fly, otherwise I would have. It's unusual to find a game that makes you do this these days.

Every couple of months, I reinstall Dragonball FighterZ and think this will be the time that I really give it a good go and just work on the fundamentals and get halfway decent at it and every single time I uninstall it after one fight where I get stunlocked and tag teamed in the corner for 95% of the thirty seconds that I last. I know this is pure ScrubQuotes, I know it is, but I just don't get this game on any level whatsoever. I am most successful by genuinely mashing all of the buttons and hammering quarter circles. I appreciate that it's my fault rather than the game itself but it's one of the most infuriating games I've ever played. Nothing I've ever learned about fighting games seems to apply to it and I haven't got a clue how to defend myself against someone just mashing auto combos. Don't tell me, by the way, just let me have this. Fuck this fucking fuck of a fuck. 

• Upvote 1

On 15/02/2020 at 16:02, Vimster said:

You can't change difficulty on the fly, otherwise I would have. It's unusual to find a game that makes you do this these days.

I'm sure I did it when I played it a few years ago. Can't remember how, but the option was definitely there.

20 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Every couple of months, I reinstall Dragonball FighterZ and think this will be the time that I really give it a good go and just work on the fundamentals and get halfway decent at it and every single time I uninstall it after one fight where I get stunlocked and tag teamed in the corner for 95% of the thirty seconds that I last. I know this is pure ScrubQuotes, I know it is, but I just don't get this game on any level whatsoever. I am most successful by genuinely mashing all of the buttons and hammering quarter circles. I appreciate that it's my fault rather than the game itself but it's one of the most infuriating games I've ever played. Nothing I've ever learned about fighting games seems to apply to it and I haven't got a clue how to defend myself against someone just mashing auto combos. Don't tell me, by the way, just let me have this. Fuck this fucking fuck of a fuck. 

I abandoned this game for similar reasons.

I know a lot of people like this kind of fighting game but it’s not for me. It’s like one opening and you’re sitting there for 20s watching the opponent beat you up. You then get half a second to deal with their reset and you’re back into watching another 20s of getting beat up. Then that character’s dead.

This just isn’t fun for me. A fighting game for me is like a game of chess where both players are equally involved. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I'm sure I did it when I played it a few years ago. Can't remember how, but the option was definitely there.

I think you can select to replay any level at any difficulty? But you have to have completed that level at the pre-selected difficulty first. 

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - "It's a small team making a AAA game" is how this was sold, and I might have been a bit more charitable towards that had I not just come off a game with similarly modest budget but big ambitions which turned out to be a massively deep and excellent RPG. Instead the type of AAA game this is trying to be is one of those least-interesting-game-possible ones like Jedi: Fallen Order where you wander through the single path set out for you by the developers, do canned squeeze through rocks animations and watch cutscenes. This one is actually even more restrictive because you can't even pull out your weapon when you want to.

I'm sure limiting player freedom in that manner is great for managing scope and testing and other practical considerations, but fuck me is it boring to actually play. Maybe the mental health stuff goes somewhere, but as far as I played I got the sinking impression it was just a stylistic way of handling regular AAA conventions (ah you see, she doesn't just vocalise the solution to the puzzle, another voice in her head does!) crossed with the drug-trip mess-with-your-perceptions stuff every game was doing from 2013 to whenever this probably started development.

• Upvote 4

Blazing Chrome certainly a fine game but I’ve not got the patience to sit through it at the moment. I’ve always loved these kind of games so I appreciate the nostalgia hit as well.

I think this is a down side of Game Pass, I’m looking at all the other games and being tempted by other things, if I’d bought it I’m sure I’d put a fair bit of time into it and thoroughly enjoy it

• Upvote 1

Nice to see more people feel the same about Dragonball FighterZ as I do. I usually love most fighting games, but just cannot enjoy this at all. The problem for me is that it never feels like I'm in control. What I do on the pad really doesn't seem to translate in the expected way to the screen and it feels more like the fighting equivalent of Dragon's Lair rather than the type of fighter I normally play. 

• Upvote 1

Days Gone.

The tedious systems and punitive nature of pretty much everything in this game completely ruins it. Yet another open world Sony game where I'm running around picking flowers and crafting endless piles of junk when all I want to do is ride my bike and kill zombies. This game is tedious beyond belief in how it makes you work for everything.

Also, which game introduced the long press instead of just tapping to confirm an action? I think it was Destiny? This idiotic design decision is all over Days Gone and makes even picking something up or opening a door annoying. The whole game is just an annoying pile of fuck. Crappy camera work during combat. Terrible bike controls. Retarded characters. Predictable and stale. Avoid. 2/10.

• Upvote 7

On 28/06/2019 at 14:47, gossi the dog said:

Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch) - A slightly odd one, in that there's nothing inherently bad here, yet at the same time I struggled to motivate myself to play more than a level or two at a time before wanting to switch it off. To be honest I just don't think I particularly like 2D platformers.

I felt like this, I don’t enjoy games that make me work for them and not with them, if that makes sense.

i tried to play Advance Wars 2 recently, as soon as I came across the introduction of a troop carrier I switched off. It’s like pre determined chess.

• Upvote 1

Detroit Become Human

*loading*

"Hello, I am an android and before we get started let's check your console settings...are the language settings..."

HOME BUTTON

CLOSE APPLICATION 

OPTIONS BUTTON

DELETE

LIBRARY

DO NOT SHOW CONTENT ITEM IN [PURCHASED]

• Upvote 4

Final Fantasy X-2

I've been on something of a Final Fantasy binge over the last year or so, and after finishing X I thought I might as well give this a second look. I completed it back in the day, but I genuinely can't remember whether I ended up enjoying it or not.

Despite this being the abandoned games thread though, after playing through the first chapter and a bit I was surprised to find myself quite liking it. The battle system is fast paced and the dress-sphere thing is a nice spin on job systems, and even some aspects of the story are interesting. It's genuinely neat to see how the world has reacted to the events of X, along with Yuna herself through her narration.

It's not all good though, by any means. I can't remember how things develop, but the actual story leans a bit too hard into campy nonsense, with antagonists straight out of a pantomime. Then there are the locations, which are mostly either ripped straight out of FFX, complete with paths leading to nothing where there used to be treasure, or new dungeons that must have been knocked up in an afternoon. 

But it is fun. I'd probably happily play through the whole thing again, but life's too short and I've never played XII, so... into the abandoned games thread it goes.

• Upvote 2

Stardew Valley

Maybe I'm not cut out for these "relaxing" games, but after a few hours of this I'm getting really irritated. it's not so much the farming, I'm enjoying keeping my crops watered and all that, it's the fact I seem to spend most of my time very slowly walking to town, finding a place and doing what I need to do. If the town had been on the next screen along and all the buildings were on the same screen I'd have been on this all day. But he thought of spending ages walking to the shop 4 screens away to get some fertilizer was just offputting. Weak, I know, but there you go. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

On 19/02/2020 at 07:18, Goemon said:

This just isn’t fun for me. A fighting game for me is like a game of chess where both players are equally involved. 

Smash Bros basically.

I had a spare Nintendo game token and given that Animal Crossing seems to be the last game they'll ever make, I decided to burn it on Dragon Quest Builders 2 which comes pretty highly regarded and is the only thing I haven't got besides Pokken and Sushi Striker and some that I won't bother naming.

Fuck me. It's basically Tutorial: The Tutorial. I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be for people who've played the first game. After two hours, the game was still stopping me every ten seconds to talk at me and spoon-feed the next mindless task and pat me on the back for it.

Inane Retirement Home tier clicker fuck dogshit.

• Upvote 4

Indivisible

There's a lot to like here, it's got a lovely artstyle that's been lovingly animated, moves at a fair clip, has an interesting world based on various obscure cultures and the early plot seemed interesting. I mean, look at this, doesn't this look like something you'd want to play?

But unfortunately after a few hours, it became clear the game was uninterested in the stuff which attracted me. After the frontloaded intro, the story goes on the backburner, worldbuilding is limited by every NPC you can talk to being a Kickstarter backer, who have all created their special snowflake Mary Sues who say enigmatic things rather than stuff that fleshes out the world. More and more playable characters keep getting added, there's over 20 of them, but they get no development, I learnt more about them and their world reading the notes on the wiki.

And while I enjoyed the platforming, the lite battling just doesn't have enough variety - it's based on Valkyrie Profile, which I'm not familiar with, you have action inputs with three variations of basic attack and a couple of Supers and some Mario RPG style active blocking. But that's all there is, there's no gear, no shops, no new moves on levelling, what you have when you get a character is all you get. And battles can take a while, enemies have huge health pools, but pose little threat and even mooks can eat multiple max-level Supers. It all just wore me down.

• Empathy 1

On 23/02/2020 at 15:46, Uncle Nasty said:

Days Gone.

The tedious systems and punitive nature of pretty much everything in this game completely ruins it. Yet another open world Sony game where I'm running around picking flowers and crafting endless piles of junk when all I want to do is ride my bike and kill zombies. This game is tedious beyond belief in how it makes you work for everything.

Also, which game introduced the long press instead of just tapping to confirm an action? I think it was Destiny? This idiotic design decision is all over Days Gone and makes even picking something up or opening a door annoying. The whole game is just an annoying pile of fuck. Crappy camera work during combat. Terrible bike controls. Retarded characters. Predictable and stale. Avoid. 2/10.

It's Video Game - The Video Game. You felt a lot stronger about it than I did, I thought it was so spectacularly mediocre.

49 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It's Video Game - The Video Game. You felt a lot stronger about it than I did, I thought it was so spectacularly mediocre.

Even Aunty Nasty, who is very uninterested in videogames, asked me what I was doing in Days Gone:

- "Hiding in this long grass waiting for these zombies walk past so I can go over there to pick some flowers, then I need to find fuel for my bike and repair it."

- "Oh it's one of those. You don't like those, do you?"

I'd say it's a Sony Video Game - The Video Game. The format is just exhausting.

• Upvote 4

Gorogoa (Switch)

I got about half way through this but it just seemed obscure for the sake of being so and the puzzles I was solving half of the time I did by accident, mostly by trying every frame with every other frame. Can't be arsed.

• Upvote 2

Forza Horizon 4 (PC)

Call me old-fashioned but all that driving about to get to races just got on my tits. It looks amazing, the seasons really add to the whole feel not just the visuals, it's really well-done. Apart from driving to events, the cheeriness of it was really annoying, and the constant positive feedback was numbing, like after every event what felt like 15 progress bars would move up, something levelling up all the time giving some cobblers, it felt like it was designed to keep you feeling like you were doing really well. But it's the occasional failure that keeps me playing games, not so much it becomes frustrating, but losing now and again makes you want to improve. Stop telling me I'm doing great when I'm shit!

• Upvote 5

Turn the difficulty up and use fast travel?

Although fast travel not being free is one of the design decisions I don't like in Forza, if someone doesn't want to drive everywhere they shouldn't have to.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Gorogoa (Switch)

I got about half way through this but it just seemed obscure for the sake of being so and the puzzles I was solving half of the time I did by accident, mostly by trying every frame with every other frame. Can't be arsed.

I bought this on iPad when it came out and agree. I think a good puzzle game makes you feel clever or skilled when you can figure stuff out. Gorogoa is a beautiful game, but is more concerned with showing you how clever it is. I can think of about one puzzle which taught me a mechanic and I used it, rather than me just randomly tapping on things and accidentally muddling my way through.

Anyway, I have given up on an awful lot of games recently!

Darksiders Genesis:

I had very high hopes for this. I love Darksiders, have liked all the three mainline games and this is by a studio headed up by Joe Madureira, the artist whose work Darksiders is based on. I was expecting a smaller, polished game and it reviewed very well when it came out on PC in November. But it's actually a very dull game, with very repetitive (but generally solid) combat, dull puzzles and a lot of pointless backtracking. It sort of looks like an ARPG (like Diablo), but it's not. They've sort of tried to implement a loot/upgrade system but it's very dull and really I just felt like the whole thing was pointless. The gameplay wasn't much fun in and of itself and the story wasn't driving me forward.

I like Darksiders and I'd like to see a proper Darksiders 4, so I'm glad I supported the franchise with a purchase, but am also glad I went physical so I could trade it in.

The rest are all through Game Pass:

Guacamelee 2

I really enjoyed the first game, which I played on Vita, years ago. This is good too, but there's a bit too much of the very boring combat in it. It doesn't seem to do much new and those rubbish combat sections haven't been excised either. It's fine, but I just felt like I was playing it for the sake of it, so I stopped.

Ruiner

This is quite a cool little game. It's got a bit of an intentionally ugly Cyberpunk aesthetic and the combat feels pretty good, but there's just something missing for me. It all feels a bit throwaway.

Untitled Goose Game

This seemed like a definite hit, but I found once the novelty of being an evil goose wore off, the gameplay was actually pretty unexciting. I'm slightly amazed that people paid £16 for this and didn't feel hard done by.

• Upvote 4

I'm sad to say but I'm abandoning Dragon Quest XI: S. It's got a charming atmosphere and I like the music and art style, and the tone is pleasant and light without being shallow, but the story and the gameplay have quickly worn thin. Combat is just a little too trad for me as someone who never really clicked with JRPGs but who was willing to give the top tier a fair crack. Ten hours in, battles are still as simplistic and pedestrian as they were at the start and while I'm sure it gets deeper and more interesting, I don't have another seventy hours of this in me, I'm afraid. Compared to Tokyo Mirage Sessions, where I'm having a blast, this feels even more anachronistic. I'm a bit disappointed - not least that my conclusion allies with the moanier critical consensus. It has a lot going for it but the combat and story don't get my pulse racing. 

Shadow of the colossus. It’s on PS plus this month. After the 3rd boss I’m giving up. 

I thought this game was meant to be a classic? The controls are an absolute state and it’s got the worst camera I think I’ve ever experienced in a game. I really cannot be fucked with it. 

• Empathy 2

Final Fantasy XV seems to have missed all the game design passes where they make the What You Actually Do bits of the game fun. Boring combat system, boring world, boring quests and endless, needless, lovingly-animated tiny cutscenes you need to pause and skip for doing even the most mundane things in the game. Nice looking food, though.

• Upvote 2