Abandoned Games

Rage 2 (PC)- this looked like good fun in reviews, but not long into this the icon fatigue set in hard. Cookie-cutter open-world, go here, do that, mobs, shit driving, after playing Far Cry 5 this just felt like the same old all over again. Competent enough but uninspiring. 

33 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Fallen Jedi? It definetly borrowed from Uncharted/Lara Croft etc but overall was still a fun game to play. I enjoyed it just for the amount of force powers you learnt as you got stronger. I love the Star Wars universe so will play anything.

I love star wars as well but I found it incredibly bland. I have preordered Squadrons as it looks ace.

21 minutes ago, strider said:

I love star wars as well but I found it incredibly bland. I have preordered Squadrons as it looks ace.

Oh yes! I've just played SW Battlefront 2 & loved the space combat levels.

4 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Its probably by far the worst one. 0 is the holy grail.

Yeah, I gather that 0 is the best one, but I don't find the general gameplay loop interesting enough to want to try it. What makes it better?

I thought Fallen Jedi was terribly dull too, incidentally, and that got dumped after a not-particularly-fun 6/7 hours.

Everything is miles better in 0. The combat system has a tonne more depth, the minigames are more fun and varied, the substories that are often the best part of the series are much more numerous and interesting, the bosses are vastly less annoying, you don't have Majima pestering you every ten seconds, the characters are more appealing, the story is genuinely touching despite being completely ridiculous, etc.

It's also one of the funniest games ever made.

I've played 0-5 and Kiwami was the worst by a mile and the only one I'd advise anyone to skip. If it was the first one I'd played I probably wouldn't ever have touched another and I'd have missed out on hundreds of hours of batshit silliness.

@Rsdio Agreed. I finished Kiwami literally yesterday and was quite relieved it was over to be honest. Some of the boss fights are among the worst I've ever played in any game and the pacing in general is terrible.

Luckily I've also played 0 so I know just how amazing the series can be at its best. Don't let Kiwami put you off, it's nowhere near the heights that the best Yakuza games can attain.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Yeah, I gather that 0 is the best one, but I don't find the general gameplay loop interesting enough to want to try it. What makes it better?

I’ve played Zero and feel the same way about it that you feel about Kiwami by the sounds of it. My advice - don’t waste your time.

3 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Everything is miles better in 0. The combat system has a tonne more depth, the minigames are more fun and varied, the substories that are often the best part of the series are much more numerous and interesting, the bosses are vastly less annoying, you don't have Majima pestering you every ten seconds, the characters are more appealing, the story is genuinely touching despite being completely ridiculous, etc.

It's also one of the funniest games ever made.

I've played 0-5 and Kiwami was the worst by a mile and the only one I'd advise anyone to skip. If it was the first one I'd played I probably wouldn't ever have touched another and I'd have missed out on hundreds of hours of batshit silliness.

Now that's interesting because I played 0 and I'm struggling to be interested in 1. Especially as 0's remake nicked a lot of its best bits.

The boss fights on the way out of the funeral were just dire.

Far Cry 4.

I haven't played anything in this series since 3 and Blood Dragon, and fancied this as a cheap palate cleanser after a monster Yak Kiwami 2 playthrough.

Despite enjoying the previous entries I really bounced off this, arbitrary barriers to progress (why show me which guns are in the game if I can't buy them yet?) and strict 'mission areas' (I thought this was an open world game?) really frustrated me, as did the bullet sponge enemies. The introduction of the silent scouts with the bows who somehow are able to control eagles (?) was the last straw. Fuck this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Crusader Kings 3 - I gave it a valiant try and played longer than previous games in the franchise, but while I understood the systems (keep people happy, invade counties, use hooks for favours or blackmail) I didn't understand the strategy and just did consistently awfully. It's hard to persevere when you've put in hours and your biggest success was still the tutorial.

Spoiler

Super Monkey Ball 2

Watch Dogs 2

Astroneer 

_observer

Grandia 1

God of War 2 

Sonic Mania 

Borderlands 2

Darkest Dungeon

Mutant Year Zero

Celeste

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Recore

Vampyr

Hellblade

A Plague Tale

We Happy Few

7 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Crusader Kings 3 - I gave it a valiant try and played longer than previous games in the franchise, but while I understood the systems (keep people happy, invade counties, use hooks for favours or blackmail) I didn't understand the strategy and just did consistently awfully. It's hard to persevere when you've put in hours and your biggest success was still the tutorial.

Reveal hidden contents

Super Monkey Ball 2

Watch Dogs 2

Astroneer 

_observer

Grandia 1

God of War 2 

Sonic Mania 

Borderlands 2

Darkest Dungeon

Mutant Year Zero

Celeste

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Recore

Vampyr

Hellblade

A Plague Tale

We Happy Few

Ditto. Just got lost in how *much* there was. I'll probably give this Age of Empires 3 thing a bash instead - looks a bit more accessible

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS4)

Played about two hours. It's just dated and dull. Looks and sounds horrible. The alternative history was interesting but I couldn't get past the boring gameplay and weightless shooting.

Broken Age (Switch)

Didn't grab me and didn't find it funny. Lucas Arts logic meant that I just ended up trying everything on everything else all the time.

Murder By Numbers (Switch)

I got more than half-way through this before giving up. It started off well but the picross puzzles became very fiddly after the half-way mark, often taking 15+ minutes to complete, and then if you cocked it up you more or less had to start from scratch again. A shame as I had been enjoying it.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)

A great game, but I just wasn't fussed about playing through it again after rinsing it on Wii U and having played a few other platformers recently.

Salt and Sanctuary (PS4)

Derivative to a fault, ugly and too familiar after recently completing DS3.

Swords and Sworecy (PC)

Boring. Lots of walking about and clicking on stuff. The writing was too hipster cool for me.

Detention (PC)

Played it for a couple of hours but it just became tedious. Very limited gameplay and I wasn't taken by the story. Loses something in translation, I imagine.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Before you lynch me, this is still (probably) my GOAT, but I played it all the way through when it first came out on the Wii U and got all the shrines. I thought enough time would have passed by now to make it fresh again, but I think it's just seared into my brain too much. I got off the Plateau and started to make my way to Kakariko, but the spark had gone. Certain aspects of the graphics are beginning to look a bit ropey now as well, sadly. I'll play the inevitable £70 Switch Pro remaster.

Mirror's Edge (PC)

Frustrating platforming and repetitive gameplay. Never found myself getting into the flow of it. Needed a rewind button.

Kunai (PC)

Repetitive and dull with poor checkpointing. Died and got booted back about 10 minutes from where I'd got to and couldn't be bothered.

Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)

I've bemoaned this in the dedicated thread already, but in short the gameplay is boring, repetitive and shallow, the VA and writing is uniformingly terrible, and the graphics are distractingly inconsistent. After a great first hour (which, somewhat suspiciously, is what the devs chose to base the demo on) it transpires that they've completely stripped out the excellent battle system of the original game and replaced it with some depthless, button-mashy fluff that you can more or less ignore. Elsewhere, the 7-10 hour section of the original game that this 'Remake' represents has been padded out to something 3-4 times that length with mindless busywork and drudgery, including a side-quest where you literally have to herd cats, which is as fun as it sounds. I lasted ten hours before checking HLTB, saw that I was still 20-30 more hours from finishing it and then decided to throw in the towel. After 5 years of build up, this was massively disappointing. I'd have far preferred a HD remaster of the original game with some better looking sprites and a few QoL improvements. 

From what I've heard, with the exception of FFXIV (or what it became after it was rebooted), Square haven't made a great game now since FFXII. My expectations for XVI are extremely low.

The Witcher 3 (PC)

As with BOTW, I put 120 hours into the PS4 version of this back in 2017 and thought enough time had elapsed for me to give it another go on PC, but after less than hour, as much as I loved it the first time around, I knew I couldn't go through it all again. Maybe I'll try it again in another 3 years.

Grand Theft Auto V (PC)

See above, except this I've completed all the way through twice already, once on 360, then again on PS4. I played it for 30 mins and cooed at how it looked on my gaming PC, then uninstalled it. Another landmark release, but I think I'm done with it now.

Life is Strange: Season One (PC)

Game: "Oh hells yeah! This is gonna make us a hella bank, for reals, ya feel me?"

Me:

image.png.a253f57e931ceb00d2e33994dc885c7e.png

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

:D

I was thinking the same myself, actually, but then that's a a couple of months' worth of backlog, and I've completed a few games in between ones I've abandoned, too.

From my own experiences in the past when I’ve started a game and quit in the first hour to move onto something else and then also quit that, then it’s time for a break. I’m sure like me you are only buying games after you have spent some time researching before deciding if you think you will enjoy it or not.

Taking a break is healthy too much of anything can ruin your enjoyment.

Reading the Yakuza Kiwami chat has been interesting as I started playing this yesterday and for the first time in ages I totally lost track of time playing something. This is the first Yakuza game I've played. About three hours in, somewhere into Chapter 2. Really enjoying it so far, thought the extended cutscenes would be a pain but found found I was getting into the story. Still at button-mash stage of fighting; I suspect there will come a point where that won't get me anywhere. Am playing it on Easy though. Yes the guy who keeps popping up to fight you is already getting on my tits but he's at least amusing. I get the impression if you played 0 and then this it would be a step-back. 

Yeah that's basically it, it's 0 but less so.  As someone who played 0 where the guy you mention is a playable character it's bizarre to me he's had a complete 100% change of personality for absolutely no reason too.

(Although given 0 is a prequel it's actually that they completely removed his personality to jam him into 0)

Having taken a month off I'm getting back into it but both the main plot and the available side missions aren't as interesting, especially as pocket circuit is basically identical to last time (again it was actually here first and stolen for 0) and Majima PLUS the regular annoying random battles is 1 set too many.

I recall Kiwami showing that the series origin was a love letter to old beat-em-ups, there's loads of schlocky stuff like secret underground sewer brothels for the elite and special forces ninjas that would work in Streets of Rage or summat, but really clash with the realistically depicted Tokyo district with real-world restaurants and menus.

0 showed the series had moved away from that into more of a Japanese melodrama, still a little crazy by the standards of the west, but much less dated (Yakuza: Like a Dragon is going back the other way with characters transforming into biker mohawk punks and dominatrix lady trope characters the moment they enter battle).

Kiwami is now an abandoned game.

Or rather, that's what my achievement list says.  Actually I completed it but the credits sequence which is of the kind that thanks the CEO's mum's cousin's backup dog walker is unskippable so I turned off the machine and now my only option is to start a save an hour of tedious grindy endboss fight back.

So fuck that.  

39 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, they've fallen into the trap of over complicating a game that absolutely doesn't need it on that one it seems. A doom game does not need platforming.

Yes! The platforming drove me mad. And all the overcomplication on upgrades. And constantly juggling health > ammo >  blood fist > whatever. Bleurgh.

There are other 1st-person games with good platforming (Metroid Prime, Mirror's Edge) but the only one I can think of that's primarily a shooter and also nails that kind of movement is Titanfall.

Jumping around can be pretty fun in the old arena shooters but I'm not sure you could say that that 'fridge on rollerskates' feel makes for good platforming exactly.

Black Tiger (Arcade) Even on easy. With infinite credits. That game can go do one,

Find Dark Souls too easy? This one is for you.

It's doable. Here's someone doing it on hard. On one credit. But I won't be doing that.

Literal chest pains playing this. I'm getting soft in my old age.

Carmageddon II (Steam)

This is a version of the original game made to run on modern systems. Wow, this game hadn't aged well at all. I played 1 and 2 at uni in the late 90s and they were good fun back then, but now it controls like poo, having to run over pedestrians to add time might have been good when you're 20 but now it just feels pointlessly edgy, it's all really wide and loose and unsatisfying. We've come a long way from then.