IGNORED

Abandoned Games

Marlew

Outer Wilds

Ok. I’ve finally thrown in the towel. There’s a game I really want to love in here but for whatever reason I don’t enjoy actually playing it. Amazing world building and a genuinely unsettling atmosphere are plus points, it’s super engrossing but my heart sinks every time I need to use that sodding ship. Or navigate spaces in the suit. Basically actually move around. Im quite sad because it’s clearly brilliant, just not for me. 

Uninstalled to remove temptation.  

On 08/01/2022 at 12:42, glb said:

Deathloop.

Alas, just don’t think it’s meant to be. Put around seven hours in but don’t feel compelled to keep playing after a session this morning. Had a brief moment of intrigue after completing a certain mission, but that quickly dissipated once it became clear I’m not invested in the story, and everything feels a bit aimless to me.

Think my other biggest disappointment is how clunky the shooting feels. Most loops usually end early with me dying because my guns jam mid gunfight or because more than two enemies attack and health goes in a heartbeat.

Shame, but on to the next game.

Wait a damn minute, Colt! Okay, inspired by @Jamie John’s buy only 12 games in a year thread, I felt a pang of guilt abandoning a £50 purchase.

Watched one of those ‘things I wish I’d known before playing’ vids and followed the tip to follow an arsenal lead instead of the main ‘missions’. And that finally led me to getting the Nexus slab, and a pretty potent pistol, both of which completely changed the combat for me. Now have shift and aether, preferring the latter, and a selection of decent guns.

Still think the game is flawed in places but put a few more hours in and now I’m in its rhythms it’s much more enjoyable on the whole.

The semi-regular menu crashes 45-minutes into a progressive loop can get in the sea though.

MGSV is officially abandoned from my completion hunting. Enjoyed what I played but 100% achievements is a real bad grind including completing all missions with an S rank and doing all side objectives plus all the other stuff. With this months recent deluge of game pass stuff as well as trying to plug away at FF13, I simply don't have the time or patience to go for it along with everything else I'm trying to complete right now. 

Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008) - PC

1119077048_TombRaiderUnderworld.thumb.png.a9609216a30bb2f318e70db33631d99f.png

I picked this up for about 60p, or something similarly silly, after Matt Castle said it was was one of the games of 2008 on the Back Page Pod. It was only once I'd started it that I remembered I'd already played and finished it, which my 360 achievements appear to confirm. Regardless, I've always had a soft spot for the Tomb Raider series, and for half an hour or so I was enjoying pootling about completing the platforming sections, solving the simple puzzles and generally, y'know, raiding tombs, which is something that the franchise appears to have forgotten about since the combat-heavy, blood-soaked 2013 reboot.

Unfortunately, however, the camera, controls, clipping and collision detection in this are janky as old balls, so I had to stop playing. Maybe it's because I'm playing the PC version, or (more likely) it's because this game is now fourteen years old and I'm expecting it to be as polished as Uncharted 4, but I couldn't see myself finishing this so I decided to nip it in the bud. (Also, talking recently of embarrassing games, Lara spends the first level in a skimpy diving outfit with the camera wedge assertively up her backside.)

Still, if you can see past that then I'd imagine this would still interest anyone looking to experience the final incarnation of Eidos' version of Tomb Raider before they were subsumed into Square Enix a year later. An interesting nugget of gaming history if nothing else.

Spelunky 2 - This is a sequel very much designed with "don't mess with a successful formula" in mind, unfortunately as someone who played the first a lot and got fatigued with it, that similarity is more a drawback than a good thing. The game does get more unique once you've got past the first area, shifting to newer environments with new mechanics, but I found I didn't really want to persevere through the saminess to get there.

Back 4 Blood - Been going for the completion for this for a while but finally gave up and uninstalled it yesterday. Not because it's too hard, after the nerfs it's really easy but the game is dead as a dodo. Been trying to find a group for weeks that want to progress and finish it on all difficulties etc but there's literally no interest. Shame that this launched in the state it did, by the time the patch came out to rectify the problems in December, people had moved on. It's a good premise, it just launched far too hard for most people and that was it, not sure most of the playerbase even know it's been fixed. Ah well. 

On 13/01/2022 at 22:46, glb said:

to follow an arsenal lead instead of the main ‘missions’.

Oh, really? I just started playing and found that tip - is the arsenal easy to find?

Paper Mario Origami King

Only a few hours in but I already feel like I’m going through the motions with this. There’s barely any meaningful interaction, I find myself impatiently mashing through the dialogue and sighing when another identikit fight starts. I should probably put in some more time before giving up, but I just can’t muster up any enthusiasm for it anymore. 

1 hour ago, Grobbelboy said:

Paper Mario Origami King

Only a few hours in but I already feel like I’m going through the motions. There’s barely any meaningful interaction, I’m impatiently mashing through the dialogue and catch myself sighing when another identikit fight starts. I should probably put in some more time before giving up, but I just can’t muster up any enthusiasm for it anymore. 

Try super paper Mario on the wii instead. I’ve been playing it today and it’s a lovely little game.

6 hours ago, smac said:

Oh, really? I just started playing and found that tip - is the arsenal easy to find?

D'oh; I have now finished the first, 'Longest Day' mission, and now I get the reference; I'm following the first lead.

I only played Lake for about 45 minutes (or however long the first 'day' took) but the writing was pretty bad, the pop-in was really bad and considering the game was largely about taking a relaxing drive around this little slice of Americana, it was odd that the game recognised there was no fun in that by letting you autopilot to your destination. If even the game thought that you might not want to drive yourself, what's the point? I also read that it was probably a couple of hours longer than it needed to be (which, on a short game, meant a fair bit of padding) and that there was no real choice or consequence other than right at the end.

Rather than just force myself through it and wondering why, I decided - quite ruthlessly - to cut it early doors. You could say that it just didn't deliver.

:hat:

I'm so sorry, forum - but Death's Door.

I have really, really tried to get into this but I find the bosses ANNOYINGLY difficult and I'm just not able to fully immerse myself into the game.

I'm going to sound like those exes of mine when I say 'it's not you, it's me' - but it really is me.  This is a really good game, and the fault is not with the developers who have created a gorgeous looking and sounding game, but with the fact that the simplistic combat does not work with my hard to eye co-ordination skills.  The thing is, I have no idea why. 

I really have tried, and this is not me abandoning it because it's crap and you should avoid it, just that I was getting nowhere fast and I need to focus my attentions elsewhere.

I'm sorry - okay?!

13 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I'm so sorry, forum - but Death's Door.

I have really, really tried to get into this but I find the bosses ANNOYINGLY difficult and I'm just not able to fully immerse myself into the game.

I'm going to sound like those exes of mine when I say 'it's not you, it's me' - but it really is me.  This is a really good game, and the fault is not with the developers who have created a gorgeous looking and sounding game, but with the fact that the simplistic combat does not work with my hard to eye co-ordination skills.  The thing is, I have no idea why. 

I really have tried, and this is not me abandoning it because it's crap and you should avoid it, just that I was getting nowhere fast and I need to focus my attentions elsewhere.

I'm sorry - okay?!

images.png.0a379be4aede878fbd0d0720c9e33f5c.png

17 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Psychonauts 2

This is a weird game, it feels very stop start and never really gets going long enough to get into a proper flow. I found it more irritating than fun to play so in the bin it goes.

Couldnt agree more - very definition of mediocre

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

I only played Lake for about 45 minutes (or however long the first 'day' took) but the writing was pretty bad, the pop-in was really bad and considering the game was largely about taking a relaxing drive around this little slice of Americana, it was odd that the game recognised there was no fun in that by letting you autopilot to your destination. If even the game thought that you might not want to drive yourself, what's the point? I also read that it was probably a couple of hours longer than it needed to be (which, on a short game, meant a fair bit of padding) and that there was no real choice or consequence other than right at the end.

Rather than just force myself through it and wondering why, I decided - quite ruthlessly - to cut it early doors. You could say that it just didn't deliver.

You made the right choice, I "completed it" for the achievements, but it was really, utterly, awful. - nothing mattered, there was no interactivity beyond "press X" and the story wasn't even slightly compelling or interesting. Just no redeemable features beyond it's an easy set of achievements. Awful. (And I don't say that about many games)

20 hours ago, smac said:

D'oh; I have now finished the first, 'Longest Day' mission, and now I get the reference; I'm following the first lead.

Only just seen your question! Yeah, once the game offers visionary/arsenal leads, found going after some decent weaponry made the game click more.

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition (2020) - Switch

FJ5hpRoUYAEiaVT.thumb.jpeg.b5bf20c58c29d4a6de9229fd170be0a8.jpeg

This is one of those games that I really want to like and, I imagine, one that if I got properly into I'd likely end up waxing lyrical about at great length and boring everyone's ears off about. It's obviously thoughtfully written, very literary and achingly cool.

Unfortunately, however, I can't play it for more than 20 minutes before it literally sends me to sleep. I've only played it for a couple of hours, but even that little playtime I've had to complete over a handful of sessions because I just find it so deeply, deeply soporific. It's not even boring, necessarily - it's definitely weird, and that in itself is interesting - but the lack of music, or action, or plot, or music, or... anything much at all, really, just makes me nod off at the end of a long day and I can't play it.

I've put off abandoning it a couple of times now, thinking I just wasn't in the mood for it, but, in truth, this was just me trying to force myself to like it so that I could say I was one of the cool kids who really gets KRZ, man. Turns out I'm just not that cool :(

After watching another 15 minutes of anime shite in between - y'know, actually playing the damn thing - I've decided to get shot of Scarlet Nexus. The clock tells me I'd put in about 6 hours, I'd guess the actual core gameplay (the fighting) was no more than about 90 minutes or so? It's just so stuffed with incomprehensible (and worse: boring) fluff, with an occasional bit of plot and all delivered in that awful grunting and groaning style that seems to be a thematic staple. I mean, honestly, why does every character had to let out a suspicious groan when speaking every line? It's distracting and immature and doesn't help with the already bad writing.

As for the actual combat minigame aspect (;)), I was trying to convince myself I was enjoying it but I'm not really sure I was. Like many JRPGs, it throws system after system at you and I think I'm too old and tired to learn and remember this stuff.

Having just read a plot summary, I'm even happier I have now deleted it - two Game Pass misses in a day!

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition (2020) - Switch

FJ5hpRoUYAEiaVT.thumb.jpeg.b5bf20c58c29d4a6de9229fd170be0a8.jpeg

This is one of those games that I really want to like and, I imagine, one that if I got properly into I'd likely end up waxing lyrical about at great length and boring everyone's ears off about. It's obviously thoughtfully written, very literary and achingly cool.

Unfortunately, however, I can't play it for more than 20 minutes before it literally sends me to sleep. I've only played it for a couple of hours, but even that little playtime I've had to complete over a handful of sessions because I just find it so deeply, deeply soporific. It's not even boring, necessarily - it's definitely weird, and that in itself is interesting - but the lack of music, or action, or plot, or music, or... anything much at all, really, just makes me nod off at the end of a long day and I can't play it.

I've put off abandoning it a couple of times now, thinking I just wasn't in the mood for it, but, in truth, this was just me trying to force myself to like it so that I could say I was one of the cool kids who really gets KRZ, man. Turns out I'm just not that cool :(

Yes. I spent so much time falling asleep playing this winner of so many GOTY awards I thought something was wrong with me. It was certainly an experience, but I had to shelve it as I just wanted to move on to something more invigorating.

On 24/01/2022 at 23:15, Gabe said:

21 hours ago, Strangelite said:

You made the right choice, I "completed it" for the achievements, but it was really, utterly, awful. - nothing mattered, there was no interactivity beyond "press X" and the story wasn't even slightly compelling or interesting. Just no redeemable features beyond it's an easy set of achievements. Awful. (And I don't say that about many games)

Same here. I think 45 minutes gives you a good feel for the what the game was going for. I felt that it was too long with not enough happening. It does have one of the most charming and niche easter eggs ever for fans of The Detectorists.

Deep Rock Galatic

Got it as part of the PlayStation Plus subscription. Love it, very well and lovingly crafted game that shines in multiplayer. You are three strangers mining and killing while yelling "Rock and Stone!" numerous times. It's incredible how smooth things go without any clear communication (there is keyboard support on PS4/5 and surely Xbox but is as far as I know not advertised. I discovered it by accident and judging by how rarely I see it used not too many people know). The objectives are easy to understand, the upgrades are drip fed to keep you engaged. It's a fantastic wee game. But two things made me stop. In no particular order:

1. higher difficulties. Hazard 4 and above require team work which kind of - not always - requires friends and communication.

2. the whole Season thing. It is one of those Season games which for me means doing most if not all there is to do during Season 1, take a break until Season 2, do most if not all there is to do during Season 2. Rinse repeat to the point where it becomes a chore.

If you can play it (GamePass, PS+), please do so. It deserves your time.

Death's door

I know this is a favourite here, but I just found it incredibly boring. Did 3 dungeons out of obligation rather than fun. And it's really uninteresting to walk past a pick-up early game you can't collect right next to a breakable wall/hookshot target. What is that? It's not a puzzle, it's just busy work which spoils future powers. The maps are repetitive and just full of wave fighting.

Gears 5. Not played any of the others, but been meaning to try this for a while. It’s not bad, just entirely uninspiring. Had “I’m going to get five hours in to this and lose interest” written all over it so cut my losses and uninstalled it after 30 minutes. 

On 29/01/2022 at 18:28, spanx said:

Gears 5. Not played any of the others, but been meaning to try this for a while. It’s not bad, just entirely uninspiring. Had “I’m going to get five hours in to this and lose interest” written all over it so cut my losses and uninstalled it after 30 minutes. 

You made the right choice. I played it for five hours and was bored shitless.

On 29/01/2022 at 18:28, spanx said:

I think this was a good call. I've played all the previous Gears games and 4 was the last I finished. Did the same with 5 still haven't finished it. Not sure why really it's not a bad game but it all feels too familiar. Guess sometimes you just need a break from series and come back to it. Think part of the problem is the story it never really hooked me in.... Which well OK being a Gears game story isn't the main reason why people play but it is an element of it for me. Think I just enjoyed the Marcus story arc (or whatever they call it) more.

I did finish it (mainly in co-op) but Gears 5 was exhausting, so giving up on it is probably the right call.

It did look absolutely amazing at times, lots of colour and detail, but yeah, it was pretty dull. Having the open world traversal does not suit the combat-box styling of the game. 

I quite liked Gears 5, myself. It was more of the same, but I found the story surprisingly compelling, and the action was as meaty as ever. I don't think any other game does cover shooting as well as Gears.

Yeah I enjoyed Gears 5 - it was exactly what I thought it'd be like, there's not much new there but the characters are surprisingly likeable!  It did make me appreciate the more open style of Halo Infinite mind you, despite the many critcisms of that particular game.

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (2017) - Nintendo 3DS

image.png.0cb7bb6d61d934951b16d2025e71eac5.png

I thought this would serve quite well as a last hurrah for my 3DS, but I just can't be arsed with it. I've played it for two hours over a handful of sessions, because (similar to KRZ, above) I just find myself getting bored with it very quickly. And (again, like KRZ) of those two hours, I feel like I've only spent an accumulated total of 10 minutes actually 'playing', which is to say doing anything that wasn't clicking through text or walking from screen to screen.

It's a shame, as I get the feeling that the battle system in this, which is all about using attacks to push enemies across a grid so you can pile them up for big damage, is probably quite good once it gets going. But I just can't be done with all the JRPG bollocks that I'll need to wade through to get to that point: the hackneyed story; the endless, boring dialogue; the insipid and moralising two-dimensional characters; the horrendous voice acting; the big anime tittehs!!1! for absolutely no reason. No thanks.

In fact, I'm struggling to remember the last traditional JRPG I've actually enjoyed. For me, this belongs in the same basket as Bravely Default, Octopath Traveller, Dragon Quest XI and the Tales games, none of which have made the cut. I think I should just stay away from the genre. I keep waiting for a game of this type to sweep me off my feet and become an obsession, but they never do.

Next!