rllmuk
Stanshall

Abandoned Games

On 14/08/2019 at 10:16, Strafe said:

Metro: Exodus - thought it was trash. Clunky controls and movement and the worst voice acting I’ve heard in a long old time.

On 14/08/2019 at 14:44, Rsdio said:

I sacked this off as well but mainly because the Microsoft Store version is an absolute shitshow, even by Microsoft Store standards.

This does kind of fit my experience of trying the preceeding games twice each anyway though, so that makes me feel better.

It's really sad to see this because I think it's a really well-executed example of first-person survival horror, and a natural successor to cult favourite Far Cry 2. I don't even really agree with the criticisms - yeah the voice acting is poor but this is the case for most games. The world-building and little stories you find in the environment are brilliant. Every major location contains some lovely, thought-provoking post-apocalyptic fiction.

The shooting isn't as immediate as something like Far Cry 5, but the guns are great in my opinion. I love games where the decision to shoot or not is a major part of the game, and this is definitely the case with ME - is it friend or foe? Do they deserve to die? Can I afford to expend the ammo? Who else will be alerted if I fire? The reload animations are chunky, the scopes look great when aiming down them, and the sounds are fantastic. The way a sniper round reverberates around the landscape in the Caspian is bloody awesome. It really feels like everyone in a 10-mile radius would hear it.

I think a lot of the movement issues early on are down to the terrain - you seem to move slowly through mud and undergrowth, which is not something you see simulated often. I agree though that movement does often feel a bit sticky.

• Upvote 2

I gave up on Mutant Year Zero too. I essentially liked it but also found it too hard playing on normal. It felt like you had to chip away at the numbers as much as you could using stealth and if you alerted enemies early on you were basically fucked. The massive emphasis on stealth felt like it limited the options rather than enhanced them. Once I started approaching every single combat encounter the same way I just got bored and stopped playing.

• Upvote 1

I really loved Mutant Year Zero on Xbox, but drifted away because

a) my life seems to make sustained play on anything other than a switch impossible these days.

b) The game has two mechanics, real time stealth and turn based combat. But success comes from using the former to prevent having to do the latter. It's an interesting puzzle, but minimises the bit I most want to play.

If I bought it on the switch, I would have finished it. It's a lot more crunchy and thoughtful that normal difficulty Fire Emblem for example - but Rabbids is better. 

37 minutes ago, Majora said:

I gave up on Mutant Year Zero too. I essentially liked it but also found it too hard playing on normal. It felt like you had to chip away at the numbers as much as you could using stealth and if you alerted enemies early on you were basically fucked. The massive emphasis on stealth felt like it limited the options rather than enhanced them. Once I started approaching every single combat encounter the same way I just got bored and stopped playing.

EDIT: Wait, I did read this. Thought I was in the MYZ thread.  I'm losing my mind.

If I had read this post before I wrote mine I wouldn't have bothered. Sums up my experiences perfectly.

It's almost a classic. A second game from them could be incredible.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

yeah the voice acting is poor but this is the case for most games. 

I can agree with the other stuff (well I don’t but I can appreciate how you’d like it even if I didn’t) but using lowest common denominators as a comparison 

Excusing something for being shit because other things are shit is a low standard to have.

• Upvote 1

Tom Clancy's The Division (PC)

Really didn't get on with this on PS4, could barely get out of the tutorial mission, but on PC this just clicked hard. On my new PC it ran silky-smooth which made the game that much more enjoyable. However, after 27 hours it was getting a bit samey. I'd reached level 13 and things were ticking along, but I was off doing other things and hadn't played it for a few weeks. When I got back it was as though someone had pulled all the Division know-how out of my brain, I was getting totally flattened by level 10 street mobs, was getting no joy from re-specing gear and all that, it just felt like rinse rinse rinse. And I just came to the conclusion I'd had my fill. The game is very much pushing you to play co-op, and I'm sure if you get a good group of mates on this on the regular it is immense fun, but solo just got boring. Fun whilst it lasted. And it only cost me a tenner on Steam.

Cadence of Hyrule was so overrated. 

Got bored of Sekiro on guardian ape after loving Genishiro.

Fire Emblem Three Houses after playing 20 hours and realising the incidental guff was a waste of time and the combat was far far far too easy. 

• Empathy 1

Cadence of Hyrule was shite. Those publications which said it was as good as a mainline Zelda game can fuck right off. I want my money back.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Cadence of Hyrule was shite. Those publications which said it was as good as a mainline Zelda game can fuck right off. I want my money back.

Did anyone say it was as good as a mainline Zelda? I find that very hard to believe, despite regarding the Zelda series as being massively overrated. Then again Crypt of the Necrodancer was complete rubbish.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Did anyone say it was as good as a mainline Zelda? I find that very hard to believe, despite regarding the Zelda series as being massively overrated. Then again Crypt of the Necrodancer was complete rubbish.

From IGN: Despite using procedural generation, its semi-randomized map evokes the charms of Hyrule, and inspires the same wonder. I think the nicest thing I can say about Cadence of Hyrule is that it absolutely deserves to stand in the Zelda canon alongside the best of its 2D games

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

From IGN: Despite using procedural generation, its semi-randomized map evokes the charms of Hyrule, and inspires the same wonder. I think the nicest thing I can say about Cadence of Hyrule is that it absolutely deserves to stand in the Zelda canon alongside the best of its 2D games

So as good as A Link to the Past and Link’s Awakening? Ha!

Maybe he/she took a debaser contrarian pill?

Blood and Truth, PSVR. 

A fantastic experience spoiled by unskippable cutscenes. Abandoned after one, complete, fantastic playthrough , because there's no incentive to sit through all that waffle again. When it's good, it's phenomenal. But when it drags, oh boy.

I'm really hitting a point now where, finally, I'm not going to force myself through things I don't enjoy - it's taken a long time to get here. Recently abandoned include:

Wulverblade (PC)

I really did like the look of this, a stylised beat-em-up with an interesting theme. Unfortunately it had a terrible move-set (if you can even call it that), sluggish, unresponsive controls, bland environments. A real shame.

Hard West (PC)

An isometric Wild West themed strategy game with an undead twist; you'd think that couldn't possibly be boring, but it is. There''s an interesting meta-game which adds a bit of interest, but the actual battles themselves are hurt by uninteresting abilities, uninteresting characters and uninteresting enemies. I gave this up when I realised that I still had a long way to go before completing.

• Upvote 2

Sonic Mania 

Borderlands 2

Darkest Dungeon

Mutant Year Zero

Celeste - When I finished the second world, the hotel, and the game totted up 835 deaths, I had to admit that it would probably be impossible for me to finish. There's nothing wrong with the game, I'm just shit.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land - I don't know if this is the remake or the new one, but it's too much of throwback for me. The art is lovely, but its fidelity to the past seemingly extends to replicating off-feeling controls and combat that's mostly about stunlock.

• Empathy 1

11 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Celeste - When I finished the second world, the hotel, and the game totted up 835 deaths, I had to admit that it would probably be impossible for me to finish. There's nothing wrong with the game, I'm just shit.

It's really, really worth persevering with, and even the hardest bits prove insurmountable faster than you'd think. If you're totally stuck though then there are a whole bunch of accessibility options you can switch on with (I think) no penalty. It's an incredible game that's designed to be finishable by anyone, and it's worth getting to the end however you can.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

It's really, really worth persevering with, and even the hardest bits prove insurmountable faster than you'd think. If you're totally stuck though then there are a whole bunch of accessibility options you can switch on with (I think) no penalty. It's an incredible game that's designed to be finishable by anyone, and it's worth getting to the end however you can.

I'm about to have another crack and it's all about the accessability settings for me as I approach 50. The settings added to VVVVVV recently made an unenjoyable slog into a challenge I could overcome (by slowing the speed down to 80%.)

More games should have this.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

far too hard for me, even on easy. It's much harder than the first 2 (seems to a common thing for this gen for games to be harder than last gen) . I even went back to the first game to check if it wasn't just me getting old, no, it's just too fucking hard this time 

• Empathy 1

Brutal Legend

It's quite liberating to give up on stuff and not feel bad, but this is another joining the pile of dumped games.

Thematically, I like the idea of basing a game around heavy metal - after all, how many album covers looked like the kind of cheesy advert you'd see for a fantasy game? - but as I hate heavy metal, any fan service is lost on me, as well as being a world built not to my tastes. Combat is also button mashy, simplistic and not fun and that, coupled with the unappealing world, made this an easy choice to drop.

• Upvote 1

On 31/08/2019 at 00:21, dumpster said:

Blood and Truth, PSVR. 

A fantastic experience spoiled by unskippable cutscenes. Abandoned after one, complete, fantastic playthrough , because there's no incentive to sit through all that waffle again. When it's good, it's phenomenal. But when it drags, oh boy.

Can I ask, why you want to skip cutscnes. If it s story driven game, why would you want to miss them?

26 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Can I ask, why you want to skip cutscnes. If it s story driven game, why would you want to miss them?

Cos he's already seen them?

27 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Can I ask, why you want to skip cutscenes. If it s story driven game, why would you want to miss them?

1 minute ago, bumgut said:

Cos he's already seen them?

Yes, that's right.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the great VR experience - I really liked Blood and Truth and it has some outstanding moments, but the cutscenes are really long and if you're sat there in the front room with that headset on, and all you want to do is play a game there is little incentive to sit there, even for 5 minutes, listening to some crappy actor that can't act telling you a story you already heard and didn't care about the first time.

I recently changed my job and became self employed, and I have more free time in my life than I've ever had before.  But even with that, I have too much going on in my life, too many places to be at a certain time, too much in the calendar, to sit playing a video game all afternoon. I'll happily play PacMan Champ Edition 2 for half an hour, I love it, and I'd happily play Blood and Truth again in 30 minute sessions, but I just don't want to be sat there waiting for a movie to play through.  I'm not interested in living through the VR experience of being sat at a desk while a lifesize cgi character tells me a story I've already heard - I want to play a video game.  

Blood and Truth's main problem is that it wants to be an interactive movie and a VR demonstration, more than it wants to be a game.  It takes you from set piece to set piece and there are some really amazing set pieces in there to see and to play.  It's very good in many ways and I'd enjoy another run through from the beginning, but just couldn't face the idea of playing a 6 hour game where maybe an hour of it is sat doing nothing waiting for the game to come back on.

I've had similar issues with other games.  I would love to play through Resident Evil 7 many times - even try to master  speedrunning it, but I know there's 15 minutes of being swung around and beaten up by the female protagonist before you start ; a hell of a VR experience the first time, but a pain to sit through over and over.  I might want to dip in for a quick sesh, but the long opening puts me off.  Bear in mind that there are people who speedrun Resi7 in about 80 minutes, so that opening section is a big chunk of your time if you want to perfect your runs and get better at what you're doing. (edit - just went on Youtube to double check my timings there, and listened to a speedrunner making exactly the same point, he's done the intro in 14 minutes and keeps saying "why can't you skip this, it's so boring".)

Metal Gear 5 is an awesome game, and one that I never tired of - it's a hell of an achievement on a standard ps4 and one of the best games I've ever played.  I recently deleted my save game to restart it and had forgotten there's a 2 hour opening session that really sucks. It has none of the gameplay that makes it such an incredible game and you really have to ask yourself, why did they bother? The first hour is just cut scenes, dragging yourself through a hospital, then there's all that stuff with a horse on fire, loads of exposition, and really, who gives a shit? Does anyone actually care about the story to a Metal Gear game?  It never made sense in MG Solid, but at least you could skip the speech bits.  

I know I'm not especially drawn into story in videogames and other people may love them, but I've often felt that games are meant to be an interactive experience where movies are a passive experience.  The connection has never sat well with me, ever since the first games on CD Roms in the 90s started to feel like they were written by game devs that were frustrated movie producers.  I played the Tomb Raider reboot and really enjoyed it to a point, but the story wasn't interesting and by skipping the cutscenes I had no idea of the purpose of what I was supposed to be doing and the whole thing started to feel a bit Dragon's Lair - I'd be shimmying along a thin platform with all hell breaking loose around me, but all I was doing was holding UP on the controller. That's not a game.

So yeah, Blood and Truth is great - but there are loads of cut scenes, they aren't especially interesting or interactive, and the thought of sitting through them another time puts me off more than the thought of enjoying the gameplay sections interests me.

• Upvote 2

I am contemplating abandoning Outcast: Second Contact. It seemed amazing when it came out all those years ago but playing it now (even with a fresh lick of paint) really shows how badly it has aged.

The controls are awful with combat a complete gamble because of them (and enemies being bullet sponges). Signposting is equally as bad but then, perhaps I have gotten a little too spoilt with how objectives in large open world games are signposted all to easily these days. 

The environments do look nice but the character models are terrible, every alien looks exactly the same, just with slightly different clothes.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

I recently changed my job and became self employed, and I have more free time in my life than I've ever had before.

Come on @dumpster- share the secret to this.

Yours,

Self-employed guy, with never enough hours.

2 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Come on @dumpster- share the secret to this.

Yours,

Self-employed guy, with never enough hours.

You just try not to think about it.  I do a couple of days a week doing my own thing and when it works it's great and when it doesn't it's not great.  But I'm in a good place right now and that's all I needed.  I'll go back to a "real" job when I have to....

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Batman: Arkham Knight. Annoyingly, I can tell objectively it's A Good Game, but coming to it from Control (which I loved) probably didn't help. Control's simple control (!) scheme meant the massive range of systems, button combinations, etc rendered this annoying to play, not fun. Just couldn't get any muscle memory going (had to keep redoing bits as I'd get overwhelmed, panic-forget the combination of button presses, die... but then repeat again).

Shame, it's clearly such a gloriously realised world, it looks amazing, etc. Just not for me.

So I bought No Ni Kuni for £13... it's much less stressful

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Batman: Arkham Knight. Annoyingly, I can tell objectively it's A Good Game, but coming to it from Control (which I loved) probably didn't help. Control's simple control (!) scheme meant the massive range of systems, button combinations, etc rendered this annoying to play, not fun. Just couldn't get any muscle memory going (had to keep redoing bits as I'd get overwhelmed, panic-forget the combination of button presses, die... but then repeat again).

Shame, it's clearly such a gloriously realised world, it looks amazing, etc. Just not for me.

So I bought No Ni Kuni for £13... it's much less stressful

I have that problem with a lot of games these days, it's why I gave up on Prey in the end.

I did finish Arkham Knight a while back but can sympathise with that complaint. I felt like a ninja playing Asylum and City, using all the tools available fluidly and regularly.

By contrast I felt half drunk during much of Knight, it has that many options that it's hard to get a rhythm going and I frequently realised I'd completely forgotten about some tool or other and hadn't used it in hours.

Spider-Man had a fair bit of that too, most of the gadgets etc. just got forgotten about. Was still pretty fun just doing the basics though!

I've quit JRPGs for any number of reasons over the years but I think Grandia might be the first I stop playing chiefly because it's far too easy. I'm about 20 hours in and only really twigged when I set combat to auto when in a hurry to find a save point yesterday. It's a shame because I like a lot about it but I'm about halfway I think, and the lack of challenge coupled with the lacklustre dungeon design are probably the end of it when I have DGXI just sitting there.

17 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I've quit JRPGs for any number of reasons over the years but I think Grandia might be the first I stop playing chiefly because it's far too easy. I'm about 20 hours in and only really twigged when I set combat to auto when in a hurry to find a save point yesterday. It's a shame because I like a lot about it but I'm about halfway I think, and the lack of challenge coupled with the lacklustre dungeon design are probably the end of it when I have DGXI just sitting there.

DGXI is very easy as well, from what I played of the demo, anyway. You may well want to take advantage of the increased difficulty options.