IGNORED

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Stanley

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

I’m not doubting the games quality or saled or whatever, just that it was a bad call to launch the Wii U with something that looked so comparatively underwhelming. 

But clearly the games looks hadn't affected every other entry in the series.

16 minutes ago, Stanley said:

But clearly the games looks hadn't affected every other entry in the series.

Of course they didn’t. Like I said, what you expect to see on a DS vs a brand new home console is likely to be rather different.

Just now, Strafe said:

Of course they didn’t. Like I said, what you expect to see on a DS vs a brand new home console is likely to be rather different.

Hang on we're going around in circles here, what you'd 'expect to see on DS' did 30 million on Wii, this one was also the third best selling game on Wii U, just behind Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8. It sold more than Splatoon.

Cleary there were reasons the Wii U failed, but this game wasn't one of them.

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Ok I disagree.

With what? The game sold well on Wii U, if it hadn't then there might be something in what you're suggesting. I think you just have to accept the Wii U's problems went well beyond it's games library.

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

With what? The game sold well on Wii U, if it hadn't then there might be something in what you're suggesting. I think you just have to accept the Wii U's problems went well beyond it's games library.

He's saying that MarioU looked very uninspired for a launch title on a new HD console. And he's right. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason for the WiiU's failure but it certainly didn't help.

Now who’s going round in circles!

I’m not saying it’s the sole reason. I’m saying it’s understandable that a machine launching with such an anemic launch line up and having a flagship game that looked extremely dated was a contributing factor. In numerous “reasons why the Wii u failed” articles, the weak launch line up was given as a factor, damaging early sales and preventing the sort of traction you’d want/need to get things rolling. This was the flagship game.

I - and no doubt not you - am somewhat vindicated by this because it’s the first console I hadn’t bought at launch in years because after playing one in Game I was incredibly underwhelmed.

So that is why I disagree. I am quite aware of the other failings of the machine and it’s poor communication to the mass market.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

Now who’s going round in circles!

I’m not saying it’s the sole reason. I’m saying it’s understandable that a machine launching with such an anemic launch line up and having a flagship game that looked extremely dated was a contributing factor. In numerous “reasons why the Wii u failed” articles, the weak launch line up was given as a factor, damaging early sales and preventing the sort of traction you’d want/need to get things rolling. This was the flagship game.

I - and no doubt not you - am somewhat vindicated by this because it’s the first console I hadn’t bought at launch in years because after playing one in Game I was incredibly underwhelmed.

So that is why I disagree. I am quite aware of the other failings of the machine and it’s poor communication to the mass market.

But the facts don't back up what you're suggesting. Wii's success was down to Wii Sports, not Zelda, which was the flagship title. So here I'd argue that Nintendo Land didn't do its job effectively.

Was Mario Kart, which sold 37 million on Wii, but only 8 million on Wii U, another reason for Wii U's failure? 

The 3DS didn't have a strong launch either but went on to be successful, or even the DS which launched with nothing of any real note. People just didn't get Wii U full stop.

13 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

He's saying that MarioU looked very uninspired for a launch title on a new HD console. And he's right. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason for the WiiU's failure but it certainly didn't help.

Again, it sold well, it's the third best selling game on the system. If anything it contributed to the Wii U having any sales at all.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

But the facts don't back up what you're suggesting. Wii's success was down to Wii Sports, not Zelda, which was the flagship title. So here I'd argue that Nintendo Land didn't do its job effectively.

Was Mario Kart, which sold 37 million on Wii, but only 8 million on Wii U, another reason for Wii U's failure? 

The 3DS didn't have a strong launch either but went on to be successful, or even the DS which launched with nothing of any real note. People just didn't get Wii U full stop.

There are no facts, are there? We're obviously just guessing. I think there's a decent chance the WiiU would have done better had it launched with something great looking like BotW or Odyssey. But who knows. We know the WiiU tank tank tanked. I reckon part of that was because it launched with a 2D game indistinguishable from the Wii version. But yeah, who really knows!

Just now, Stanley said:

Again, it sold well, it's the third best selling game on the system. If anything it contributed to the Wii U having any sales at all.

I think most of that was people buying a WiiU because it was a Nintendo console and wanting a game. That's why I bought it. 

1 minute ago, joe bazooka said:

I think most of that was people buying a WiiU because it was a Nintendo console and wanting a game. That's why I bought it. 

Yeah but that game should have been Nintendo Land, the game designed solely to sell the Wii U's unique capabilities. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The only problem with Mario U was how close it launched to the 3DS sequel, literally months apart. It being 2D or looking bland, uninspired etc. didn't affect sales previously.

But the first few didn't look uninspired. Like, looking uninspired only happens after you've released a few similar looking games! 

3 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

But the first few didn't look uninspired. Like, looking uninspired only happens after you've released a few similar looking games! 

Ok but the 3DS game which launched months earlier, looks the same, went on to sell 17 million. The problem was the hardware, not the game.

Just now, Stanley said:

Ok but the 3DS game which launched months earlier, looks the same, went on to sell 17 million. The problem was the hardware, not the game.

I feel, before the Switch, people expected their handheld games to look quite a bit less fancy than they do on a HD home console. But let's go with what you're saying. The WiiU hardware/message wise was a mess? Okay, I can agree with that. So it's fair to say that to overcome such a mess you'd need one fucking great fucker of a launch title. NSMBU wasn't that.

15 minutes ago, joe bazooka said:

I feel, before the Switch, people expected their handheld games to look quite a bit less fancy than they do on a HD home console. But let's go with what you're saying. The WiiU hardware/message wise was a mess? Okay, I can agree with that. So it's fair to say that to overcome such a mess you'd need one fucking great fucker of a launch title. NSMBU wasn't that.

I don't believe any title could have saved Wii U. It was a confusing mess from the moment they announced it, and although it's got loads of ace games, NSMBU included, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Mario 3D etc. none of them were enough to sell an idea which even Nintendo themselves seemed confused by. The hardware with all its weird and wonderful array of controllers just became this huge barrier of entry for most people.

I totally agree with Stanley's point that there was nothing eye-catching to sell the actual hardware and its strengths, as Wii Sports did within seconds. I certainly couldn't attribute this fault to NSMBU or its own failings as a game. As a purely 'standalone' experience, it's really very good and I've had a great time with it this morning. I'd say it's my favourite 2D platformer on the Switch, or at least tied with Tropical Freeze. 

That said, within the context of several very similar titles in very recent memory, it was not only poorly scheduled, it was also partly 'responsible' for the 'so what?' response to the Wii U, in my opinion. The Wii (and the DS) got me back into gaming after pretty much skipping the PS2 era and having no real interest in the 360/PS3 until a few years after launch.

I absolutely adored them both and I should have been foaming at the mouth for the Wii U, but I genuinely genuinely thought it was an add-on like Motion Plus and once I did understand what it was, there was absolutely nothing which convinced me I needed to pick one up. I finally just took a punt in late 2015 for the sake of it and NSMBU still seemed like it was another by-numbers NSMB game.

Even though I was wrong about its merits, it was never going to turn heads. 

I think a lot of people simply were not ready to buy a new Nintendo console at the time.

Wiis were still all under peoples TVs and Just Dance and Mario Kart still getting played. If they were going to buy anything new it would be a PS4.

Switch definitely benefited from that extra time, people having to make do with PS4's version of the type of games Nintendo does for a bit,  and the failure of Wii U. They were just far more ready for a new Nintendo console.

1 minute ago, Fatsam said:

I think a lot of people simply were not ready to buy a new Nintendo console at the time.

Wiis were still all under peoples TVs and Just Dance and Mario Kart still getting played. If they were going to buy anything new it would be a PS4.

Switch definitely benefited from that extra time, people having to make do with PS4's version of the type of games Nintendo does for a bit,  and the failure of Wii U. They were just far more ready for a new Nintendo console.

More than ready, I agree, that's why we're lapping Switch's up now. All they needed at that time was a Wii Pro upgrade to carry them through.