IGNORED

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Stanley

Even for me who hasn't really played this before, it does take a certain conscious effort to delaying the button press a fraction as you come to land on a surface. It still feels responsive and reliable but it does slightly take me out of any flow state I might be enjoying. It'll become more natural with time, though, I'm sure.

I'm really really digging this, by the way. Four worlds down now, the challenge is just right for me and I can see that there's actually a shitload of great game ahead with the mopping up of coins and various challenges. The Luigi DLC seems class, as well, much more about maintaining momentum and finding the best routes. I had relatively low expectations but I'm so happy to have a new (to me) top tier 2D Mario. It's a really lovely feeling. 

The levels with two exits aren't highlighted red like in Mario World but I'm pretty certain no stages have more one secret exit. They're more obvious than Mario World for the most part with no red herrings causing you to double back on yourself (and in Mario World those incorrect exits were still required for 100%).

49 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Even for me who hasn't really played this before, it does take a certain conscious effort to delaying the button press a fraction as you come to land on a surface. It still feels responsive and reliable but it does slightly take me out of any flow state I might be enjoying. It'll become more natural with time, though, I'm sure.

I'm really really digging this, by the way. Four worlds down now, the challenge is just right for me and I can see that there's actually a shitload of great game ahead with the mopping up of coins and various challenges. The Luigi DLC seems class, as well, much more about maintaining momentum and finding the best routes. I had relatively low expectations but I'm so happy to have a new (to me) top tier 2D Mario. It's a really lovely feeling. 

The challenge mode levels are the best bit, they're a wonderful time attack addition and are so well put together :wub: Does the Switch version come with all the superplay videos as well, showing how some of the levels can be played? Mesmerising. When I was having look through my save I had no clue where I'd got to and didn't recognise any of the area I was in or even around, might start again and I'd actively look forward to that for a change to most games. 

I pre ordered this before Xmas and finally had a quick blast yesterday. After recently playing Celeste a lot I found the controls super floaty.

I think I need to finish Celeste first before coming back to this so my poor brain can adapt to the floatier feel here. 

2 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Secret exit spoiler:

Hide contents

There's a secret exit in 1-2. No clues on the map, but I think it's relying on you expecting a warp pipe like in the original SMB/SMB2.

Spoiler

There's a second one

Spoiler

Above the first one!

Do Toad houses allow saving too? 

I seem to remember that from WiiU.  I finished without using any of them, the quick save is fine.

Anyway, really enjoyed playing through this again, finished pass 1 last night, more of a challenge than I remember. Now going back for star coins, which is also harder than last time as I used 2 player boost mode on WiiU.

That little extra jump being on A is totally spoiling this for me. Not wanting to LeChuck my toys out of the pram here but a lifetime of pressing A to get extra air off of landing on an enemy is totally screwing me up. 

And NEG, Celeste sold well enough, my Dad's bigger than your Dad and Mario beats Sonic every time. 

Being thrown back to the map is annoying as is losing progress if you lose all your lives between castles, but to be honest that's never happened to me as I just go and get extra lives if I'm low.

I'm still enjoying it a lot. It's a no frills Mario platformer which is to say it still provides the best pure platforming money can buy, in my book. 

I'm not sure where there's left to go with NSMB, the whole point of it is that it's a kind of retro remake of the originals, but with Mario 3D World and even Odyssey incorporating 2D elements so successfully there's not really much point - it'll just end up being more of the same and after four games, just not necessary (there are only 4 Super Mario Bros games after all). 

I'd still like to see Mario Maker and 3D World ported to Switch but apart from that I'd rather they focus on a sequel to Odyssey than do more 2D ones. 

Well I see Galaxy and Odyssey as the same lineage really in that they're both the evolution of 3D Mario following Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. Realistically though I reckon sales of Odyssey will see a straight sequel to that game and then they'll move on to the next thing.

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

I'd much rather they focus on a new Galaxy. For me Odyssey's direction was a misstep in the Mario series. 

What?!

Odyssey was pretty much a direct sequel to Mario 64, it was fantastic.

The only thing I think it missed was a proper explorable overworld like the Mario 64 castle. Selecting levels from a menu is never great.

33 minutes ago, Isaac said:

What?!

The only thing I think it missed was a proper explorable overworld like the Mario 64 castle. Selecting levels from a menu is never great.

Yeah, Odyssey sure did miss a level like Mario 64's castle!!

Odyssey sadly didn't emulate 64 all that well. Suffers similar problems that Sunshine did: only half the game/moons is actual content/platforming. Couple that with being 5 million times worse than 64 to speed run (Because the quick abundant choice of moons is so bland compared to 64) and what your left with is developers who think putting moons under bums is content representive of 64. It wasn't.

I'd still take it over the linear hell that was Galaxy 2 however.

40 minutes ago, Isaac said:

What?!

It made some of the same mistakes as 64 certainly, too much traversal for one - I'm of the opinion that platformers benefit from small tight levels rather than large flabby expanses. Also thought that the ludicrous abundance of moons, handed out for almost everything and anything really devalued the reward of finding them. That's not to say Odyssey was a bad game by any stretch, I just much preferred Galaxy. In mitigation Galaxy came out after a break of 5 years since Sunshine and at a time when hardly anyone else was releasing platformers either, wheras I'd played through Galaxy 1&2, NSMB 1, 2 and U, 3D Land and 3D World prior to Odyssey so think I might have been suffering from some Mario fatigue by that stage.

If you're that fond of Odyssey your last comment is a bit odd, it's not used as a hub but it is very much in the game. Oh and couldn't disagree more about menus, I find schlepping minutes across the same area just to start playing a level to be one of the worst bits of modern game design, I'd much rather just get there in seconds via a menu. Think Nintendo feel the same way given the last Mario platformer to use an big explorable hubworld was, I believe, the original Galaxy.