New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Stanley

4 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

If you're that fond of Odyssey your last comment is a bit odd, it's not used as a hub but it is very much in the game. Oh and couldn't disagree more about menus, I find schlepping minutes across the same area just to start playing a level to be one of the worst bits of modern game design, I'd much rather just get there in seconds via a menu. Think Nintendo feel the same way given the last Mario platformer to use an big explorable hubworld was, I believe, the original Galaxy.

I'm aware that it's in the game, but it's not used as a gateway to levels, just as a world.

There's something special about an explorable hub with secrets and unlocks as a way of accessing all the other levels. Fair point that a menu is easier, and perhaps once completed it should be there as an option, but I missed the overworld exploration and felt a ship with a menu select screen was a bit of a cop-out.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

There's something special about an explorable hub with secrets and unlocks as a way of accessing all the other levels. Fair point that a menu is easier, and perhaps once completed it should be there as an option, but I missed the overworld exploration and felt a ship with a menu select screen was a bit of a cop-out.

Thing with Odyssey is that most of the levels were a kind of self contained hubworld in themselves with much of the serious platforming taking place in sub-levels within each hub. If you made the player traverse a main overworld hub on top of the level hubs I think I'd have lost the will to live, you'd be looking at getting to a specific level taking at least 2 to 3 minutes by the time you'd navigated both sets of overworld. That's just not fun.

Odyssey is the best 3d platformer they made. It's not perfect, but Marios moveset (with cappy) is fantastic and caters for all skill levels.

However, that doesn't mean its perfect by any means. Mario Galaxy had some amazing music and interesting levels. Mario 64 was once my favorite game of all time, but the later levels are a bit of a drag really. Odyssey has an issue with too many weak moons,  i'd prefer a low quantity of moons but more interesting ways of getting them.

Speedrunning odyssey is fun, but perhaps a lack of routes is an issue compared to some other mario games.

I just want bigger worlds , more interesting moons (and more of those void style levels please!) and a ghost house. Oh and more koopa races if possible per world.

i was hoping for an odyssey 2 surprise announcement at e3 this year for release later this year, but i'd expect it next year if its going to happen.

Odyssey let me play the game while giving my daughter a meaningful role in coop. For that it's my favourite 3D Mario game, and the only 3D Mario I've completed. On all the others I played I got to a certain point and then (for no particular reason) just stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did it.

Push in the left stick on the first screen for about three seconds and press L and R while still pushing in the left stick.

You don't need to quit the game and come back in or anything,  just return to that first title screen  and try it again if it doesn't work.

Not that I've had any issues with them adding spin to the jump button after over 10 hours playing the best ever 2D platformer now in 1080p, but I thought I might as well give it a go.

20 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Not that I've had any issues with them adding spin to the jump button after over 10 hours playing the best ever 2D platformer now in 1080p, but I thought I might as well give it a go.

I've had a few issues with it. I'm glad it can be turned off. I'm too used to holding down jump before a bounce so I've suffered a fair few failures as a result.

Okay I get you.

Seems like I've always timed my Mario bouncing on baddies jump presses much later than you and others so it's not a thing that would need correcting. I've literally not done an accidental spin like that once playing this version.

The one thing I'm not sure about, because it didn't used to be there so it throws me a bit,  is the spin before the squirrel suit goes into glide mode when pressing A. Although I think that might be simply an extra cosmetic Mario spin animation because there is also a pause before it kicks in without the do a spin on A. Ultimately I'm not sure it actually makes a difference.

Picked this up today after trading in a bunch of old stuff (also put some money in the bank for Anthem) :) 

I’m not very good at 2D Mario as a rule but I’m enjoying it so far, completed the first world.  Addictive stuff and there seems to be a lot of new things - or at least, things I don’t remember from the Wii U version.

Apparently CEX didn’t have it in stock since the day it came out so I went to Game where I was served by the most ridiculously helpful person in the world.  So that was nice.

:) 

Now I need to try and play it with hubby who is notoriously bad at games :P 

Bloody hell, dipped back into NSMBU a fair few times since it came out, but never Luigi U for some reason,  I'd forgotten how amazing and, despite much obviously recycling, actually fresh feeling it is to play.

Luigi is ace to control with his mini Yoshi hover, but the compact levels and focus on one or maybe two ideas in them makes it feel like something between the full NSMBU levels and the challenge levels, and also closer to a 3D Mario approach of specific challenges based around specific power ups. It's also very much in the spirit of the throwaway playfulness Mario Maker subsequently gave us,  bursting with power ups interacting with everything ideas.  And, in keeping with the shorter time limit,  they are designed to flow wonderfully well so you can keep your movement up through the whole thing.

It's fucking ace. 

And Edge obviously gave it a 6.

53 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Bloody hell, dipped back into NSMBU a fair few times since it came out, but never Luigi U for some reason,  I'd forgotten how amazing and, despite much obviously recycling, actually fresh feeling it is to play.

Luigi is ace to control with his mini Yoshi hover, but the compact levels and focus on one or maybe two ideas in them makes it feel like something between the full NSMBU levels and the challenge levels, and also closer to a 3D Mario approach of specific challenges based around specific power ups. It's also very much in the spirit of the throwaway playfulness Mario Maker subsequently gave us,  bursting with power ups interacting with everything ideas.  And, in keeping with the shorter time limit,  they are designed to flow wonderfully well so you can keep your movement up through the whole thing.

It's fucking ace. 

And Edge obviously gave it a 6.

I’ve never played Luigi U.  I seem to recall thinking it was pretty tough, maybe from reviews.  Would you say that’s the case?

42 minutes ago, sprite said:

I’ve never played Luigi U.  I seem to recall thinking it was pretty tough, maybe from reviews.  Would you say that’s the case?

It's DLC which I think was made to be played after completing NSMBU so assumes your skills and familiarity with things are at a certain level.

It's nothing like as hard as the challenge levels in NSMBU, but I'd recommend  playing it after rinsing the Mario one to a satisfactory degree.

• 2 weeks later...

I've unlocked all of the Superstar Road levels now, by finding all of the star coins (I had to look up a few, I'm not too proud to admit). Blimey, bit of a step up in difficulty, aren't they?

That big fucking fish fuck can fuck the fuck off. Which is what they should have called that level.

I have *almost" unlocked all the levels in the Star Road shit.

I need one single Yoshi coin in the main game, and it's on one of the lava levels in the final world. It's definitely after the checkpoint, but I have no idea where. There's an up arrow drawn in coins at one point, but I don't know what it means, going up at that point doesn't do shit. Can't look at a guide or hints or I'll commit Seppuku so I gotta keep grinding ideas. Great game though. Turning off the second button spin jump has made things about 400 times more fun. Gonna beat the main game, then go for Luigi's mode, then all the challenges.

• 1 month later...

I’ve unlocked and nearly completed the star roads levels  except two 

run for it and pendulum swing is there any cheats I can input as they are doing my head in almost to the same levels as super mario used to on the nes when I was a kid I’m sick of dead legging myself in frustration I’m 48 not 13