New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Stanley

24 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I love (hate) how Nintendo stick 'Deluxe' at the end of a re-release so they can charge full price for it!

They're usually better than this, though. The Captain Toad port had more new content but no deluxe tag. MK8D earnt that D by adding a proper battle mode and (especially) the Inklings. There’s nothing that the Inklings couldn’t make deluxe.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Hopefully there's not too much more they can mine from the Wii U back catalogue before we start seeing some more original games.

I don't mind the re-releases but hopefully they do not take too long to put together.  In addition to a normal Nintendo release schedule they are fine - people can choose to buy them or not. I would hate to think that Nintendo are spending vast amount of hours of porting stuff from the Wii U instead of focusing on new games. 

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

Bring over all the Wii U stuff tbh, it's not like them having a small team port a game over is stopping new games being made. It's nice to not have giant gaps in the release schedule, and the fact is, they're new games for the vast majority of people. If you've already played them just, you know...don't buy them again. :omg:

Agreed. Plus the new portability of the games is a major addition in itself.

Mario Maker.... 

24 minutes ago, Pockets said:

How does that suggest you can't like both games? It was a joke based on the fact you can't say anything critical without some sort of backlash and I was speculating about the rage my comment must have started brewing - 'people getting upset' about the opinion I have - sure enough, the little red buttons were being pressed...

What the fuck are you on about dude?

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

I don't mind the re-releases but hopefully they do not take too long to put together.  In addition to a normal Nintendo release schedule they are fine - people can choose to buy them or not. I would hate to think that Nintendo are spending vast amount of hours of porting stuff from the Wii U instead of focusing on new games. 

There lies the problem unfortunately. People like lots of sparkly new things with their rereleases. Sparkly new things take time and money. People moan if things take too long and draw too much money from other things they want. People want their cakes and their cherries!

I do think this would have been a good chance for Nintendo to have tested the waters here tho, stats wise. Spend the time putting in a smw flip feature then tag it to draw some stats. It would be fascinating to see the results. Are pixel gfx the preserve of the hipster/beard stroking/oldies or do they appeal to other demographics.

If they do end up porting Mario maker then I hope they’re leveraging stats in this way.

Played the first couple of levels and it's pretty much what I expected, graphics are ok if a little functional, music could be better, need to improve my movement and timing a bit, my uppercut needs some work.

Now for some Mario ;)

It's a shame Nintendo don't let us trade Wii U disks for Switch digital codes.  It would go a long way towards appeasing the frustrated long time fans.   I've absolutely nothing against these ports - I think Nintendo would be daft not to do them.  There's no reason for them to be cheaper really as they are new games to the vast majority.   At the same time I've passed on this cos there's no way I'm forking out full price for a game I've already bought.

NSMB2 has still not dropped in price and it was released around in 2012. The 2D games normally sell a lot better than the 3D games so I expect this will sell millions, I'm going to wait for it to be on offer before I buy it again.

17 minutes ago, JPickford said:

It's a shame Nintendo don't let us trade Wii U disks for Switch digital codes.  It would go a long way towards appeasing the frustrated long time fans.   I've absolutely nothing against these ports - I think Nintendo would be daft not to do them.  There's no reason for them to be cheaper really as they are new games to the vast majority.   At the same time I've passed on this cos there's no way I'm forking out full price for a game I've already bought.

I see where you are coming from but I can't really see any business case to swap Wii U discs for Switch digital codes.  

I'm also not sure why long term fans should be frustrated.  They've already played these games and their Wii U's still work. It's not like Nintendo has done anything to deprive people who purchases these games back when they first released of the ability to play the games they purchased. 

But yeah, putting the logic to one side, Nintendo could certainly engineer some good will by doing what you suggest, if it would appear to be difficult to actually administrate in practice. 

25 minutes ago, JPickford said:

What are you frustrated by?

9 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I see where you are coming from but I can't really see any business case to swap Wii U discs for Switch digital codes.  

I'm also not sure why long term fans should be frustrated.  They've already played these games and their Wii U's still work. It's not like Nintendo has done anything to deprive people who purchases these games back when they first released of the ability to play the games they purchased. 

But yeah, putting the logic to one side, Nintendo could certainly engineer some good will by doing what you suggest, if it would appear to be difficult to actually administrate in practice. 

Pretty sure sony did something like that with psp games for vita in Japan. It was called the "UMD Passport" and I think it was Japan only.