New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Stanley

4 hours ago, partious said:

Well, a lot of people at the time seemed to take issue with 3D World not being a 64 style game in terms of controls and camera etc. I seem to recall such terms as "not a real 3D mario" being thrown around. Not sure any of those people actually played it but I foresee a debate, since Odyssey gave them what they were calling for.

It *wasn't* a real 3D Mario. It didn't matter, but it's true.

1 minute ago, partious said:

Pretty sure sony did something like that with psp games for vita in Japan. It was called the "UMD Passport" and I think it was Japan only.

I wouldn't mind paying a tenner to convert.  That would be 10 quid for Nintendo they wouldn't be getting otherwise.  

7 minutes ago, JPickford said:

I wouldn't mind paying a tenner to convert.  That would be 10 quid for Nintendo they wouldn't be getting otherwise.  

From you.  But it might be £40 less pounds than they would get from Wii U owners buying the Switch port.  To make it worthwhile you basically need to have a ratio of 6:1 of Wii U owners who are likely to buying a Switch version of a port.  From this thread, the ratio of people who will buy the port seems much higher!

Just now, McCoy said:

From you.  But it might be £40 less pounds than they would get from Wii U owners buying the Switch port.  To make it worthwhile you basically need to have a ratio of 6:1 of Wii U owners who are likely to buying a Switch version of a port.  From this thread, the ratio of people who will buy the port seems much higher!

Perhaps.  I'm just expressing my feelings on the matter.  There are plenty ports I would like on my Switch but they don't represent full price value to me.  I'd happily trade my old disks and even pay an upgrade.  Without that happening I will pass on the games and feel slightly frustrated about that.   I'm not suicidal about it but I can fully understand why those who had faith in Nintendo all through the Wii U period feel they got the shitty end of the stick.

2 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Perhaps.  I'm just expressing my feelings on the matter.  There are plenty ports I would like on my Switch but they don't represent full price value to me.  I'd happily trade my old disks and even pay an upgrade.  Without that happening I will pass on the games and feel slightly frustrated about that.   I'm not suicidal about it but I can fully understand why those who had faith in Nintendo all through the Wii U period feel they got the shitty end of the stick.

I kind of see what you mean but also don't see what you mean at the same time.  Why would a Wii U owner feel like they got a bad deal?  They had a good console with some amazing games which they have been able to play years before a new Switch owner is able to play the same games.  Plus the Switch owner is paying the same amount for the games as the Wii U owner did.  In the grand scheme, getting a game 5 years early for the same money someone is paying to get it now seems like a great deal really. 

Plus Wii U games still sell for decent-ish money on eBay.  Flog them and put the money towards the Switch versions if you want the Switch versions. I'm as guilty as this as anyone as I am sure I still have Mario Kart and Zelda sitting on my game shelf on the Wii U despite the fact that I own the same games on the Switch. 

4 minutes ago, JPickford said:

There's no point trying to justify it any further.  I don't believe you don't understand.

I'm honestly struggling. For the same money I played all of these Switch ports years ago.  If anyone should feel like they are being taken for a ride surely it's the current Switch owners being sold 5 year old Wii U ports for full whack. 

If I had been told 5 years ago that I could wait 5 years and pay the same money and play the same game on Nintendo's next console I'd have still purchased the game on the Wii U. 

40 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I'm honestly struggling. For the same money I played all of these Switch ports years ago.  If anyone should feel like they are being taken for a ride surely it's the current Switch owners being sold 5 year old Wii U ports for full whack. 

I paid £40 for Donkey Kong last year, a game I've never played before that originally came out in 2014. It's one of the best games I've ever played and I got hours out of it and have been sending it around to all my friends who'll play it. Do I feel short changed for paying that for a 4 year old game? Not remotely. 

I find it completely bizarre people complaining that Nintendo are rereleasing old games spruced up for the Switch. If you don't want them, vote with your wallet. They're not for the people that bought a WiiU. This package, with Luigi U included as well, represents better value at £40 than the WiiU game did when it came out. It's also obviously portable, which is a huge bonus when you have a commute like I do. And I never owned a WiiU so it's a totally new experience for me.

I'm more than happy to pay top dollar for good games. I've not played them before, what difference does it make that they came out 6 years ago? I get people feeling a bit ripped off if they've played them before but for those of us that haven't £40 still represents good value for fantastic Nintendo games. 

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

It throws up many issues this. First of all while the Wii U didn't enjoy great success it still had great games, like this one, so I don't buy that you got the shitty end of the stick there. Then there's the chance that Switch owners could just buy up cheap second hand Wii U games and trade them in, and thirdly it's not much different on Switch than Wii U, so you're not missing out.

You could always sell on the Wii U version and put the money towards it.

6 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I paid £40 for Donkey Kong last year, a game I've never played before that originally came out in 2014. It's one of the best games I've ever played and I got hours out of it and have been sending it around to all my friends who'll play it. Do I feel short changed for paying that for a 4 year old game? Not remotely. 

I find it completely bizarre people complaining that Nintendo are rereleasing old games spruced up for the Switch. If you don't want them, vote with your wallet. They're not for the people that bought a WiiU. This package, with Luigi U included as well, represents better value at £40 than the WiiU game did when it came out. It's also obviously portable, which is a huge bonus when you have a commute like I do. And I never owned a WiiU so it's a totally new experience for me.

I'm more than happy to pay top dollar for good games. I've not played them before, what difference does it make that they came out 6 years ago? I get people feeling a bit ripped off if they've played them before but for those of us that haven't £40 still represents good value for fantastic Nintendo games. 

I agree.  Nintendo are obviously being Nintendo and not being very generous but Wii U owners got to play the game years ago for the same money so I don't understand why they feel let down by the re-release and people who didn't have a Wii U get to play good games at, to them, a fair price. It honestly doesn't seem like Nintendo are really screwing over a section of people here. 

31 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It throws up many issues this. First of all while the Wii U didn't enjoy great success it still had great games, like this one, so I don't buy that you got the shitty end of the stick there. Then there's the chance that Switch owners could just buy up cheap second hand Wii U games and trade them in, and thirdly it's not much different on Switch than Wii U, so you're not missing out.

You could always sell on on the Wii U version and out the money towards it.

The problem with articulating stuff like this is it make it seem like I'm more bothered than I am.   I would like the ports on my switch.  I don't think they represent full price to me as I've played them to death.  I'm mildly frustrated that I can't just pay a nominal fee to upgrade/swap.   End of really.  It's not keeping me up at night and I think Nintendo should port as many games as possible and sell them at full price because they'd be daft not to.

I bought the Mario Kart port and it's great but it still smarts a bit because I rinsed it on Wii U so haven't really got my money's worth.  I just wanted to own it on my lovely new Switch.   

15 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I’m sure people will decide they can’t understand metaphors but here goes. 

Here’s a cake. It’s £4. 

Hi, that cake’s been reduced to £2.50 now. 

Oh, you want to eat that same cake on a new plate? It’s £4 then. 

Theres nothing wrong with that, it’s up to the seller, but when there’s been minimal additional investment it seems a bit cynical to go back to full price just because you know you can. To complain about it is futile of course, but to pretend you can’t understand why it’s a bit ‘off’ seems odd. 

You can't have your cake and eat it as the saying goes.

I bought Donkey Kong again, I completed it again whilst lying in bed. It was worth the money.

And in in the official units of Fun per unit Pound it was one of the most worthwhile games I've played this year despite having finished it on WiiU.

I've just bought this as well. I'm certain the same thing will happen.

Gamers fume because their brilliant games come out so slowly. So nintendo respond by making games quicker with smaller teams. Artistically it's dryer, but the gameplay is as good as ever. 

So Gamers fume that these more frequent games aren't more polished. They've the same graphics! So Nintendo spend longer to polish the games and gamers fume about the no-games again.

So Gamers don't buy the WiiU (to the extent that would have killed sega) but Nintendo survives. Why? By not discounting their games and being very fiscally sensible.

Gamers buy the switch at the fastest rate of the generation play incredibly polished evergreen wonders of games and then start fuming that they aren't churned out by the second, whilst still demanding the polish. Nintendo responds by releasing games no one played on a console no one bought to fill the gap. 

Gamers fume because a company that survived by being fiscally sensible, continues being sensible. 

TL:DR Everything we hate about Nintendo when they are the flavour of the month, is why they survive when they aren't.

The ports aren't for the audience we are part of, it's just a happy side effect that people will gladly pay more than once for games. I've rebought my share of them, but then I'm someone who will buy a game digitally a second time when it's on sale because I can't be arsed to keep changing the disk.

Ports are easy money. Nintendo might be guilty of shoveling them out, but when they're of the quality they are who can blame them? I bought Mario Kart, Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors (off the top of my head) because of the convenience the Switch affords and because I don't have room for my Wii U anywhere. It also helps all the dlc content is on Mario Kart and Hyrule.

For me Nintendo need to get new games announced as well as doing these ports, because aside from the incredibly vague Metroid Prime 4 and Animal Crossing I have no idea what else is coming, and I know I won't buy Animal Crossing. 

9 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The same will surely apply in 4 years time.

Would you buy it again for £50 in 2023 for Nintendo’s next console? If so Nintendo can just live off of re-releases from here on out.

Anyway, I’ll stahp. Enjoy the game everyone.

This is exactly Nintendos plan. They make games that are good forever. Not whilst they are graphically cutting edge. 

I played Super Mario 3 on the NES, Wii, Wii U, NES classic and now the On-line service. Each time they re-released it, they added just enough to justify the purchase again, but very intentionally nothing more.

Damn right that in 202X, 203X and no doubt 204X, Nintendo will be re-releasing games I already own, and I will be buying them. And loving them.

I've no doubt I will want to play this game at least once a decade from now, and Nintendo will find away to get me to buy it again, rather than plug my retro consoles in.

51 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Thing is we all know how this industry works. The arguments being made by some here are disingenuous.

As an example of typical generational iterative model, though the games and platform are vastly different :

TLOU came out 2013

TLOU remastered 2014

TLOU2 sequel 2019

Compared to: 

NSMBU 2012

NSMBU remastered 2019

TLOU2 is likely to have anywhere between 50-100x the budget of NSMBU. But again, Nintendo couldn’t stump up a dev team and measly million to put together another? Maybe they did and are just sitting on it. Another “just about good enough” NSMB title. Or maybe they’ll reboot and revitalise the franchise with new ideas eventually. It’s possible I guess.

Why does Yoshi’s Woolly World get a full sequel incidentally? It’s only been 3.5 years since the last one as opposed to 6?

Nintendo is disrupting it’s usual one franchise game per generation model to re-sell the same sodding games. Maybe we’ll get a new 2D Mario in a few years on Switch, but that’s still fucking ages Wii U owners are waiting for a new game in the series.

And NSMBU isn’t exactly pushing-the-envelope best-in-class like MK8D.

Like Pickford, it doesn’t bother me that much really, just bored on my commute, and I have plenty to play already - but I think Nintendo’s reliance on porting is disappointing, as is the defence of it.

It doesn't bother you much and despite already admitting you have no interest in discussing the financial reasons or benefits for those who didn't buy a Wii U, you keep on posting. Are you hoping for some kind of resolve here? 

Catch 22, is an absolute classic of a book. Life changer. But do you know they port it to a new format, every couple of years.  Sure they might commission a new cover, or choose a different font. If you're lucky, it might be better quality paper. But regardless, it's the exact same book.

Simon & Shusters, the publishers, are taking the piss. Don't they know we've read it? They don't even reduce the price! Basically the same price since the 60s.

They should just be publishing, brand new, all time classics, multiple times, every year. I mean what are they thinking, each new generation deserve access to this book or something? Absolute  nonsense.

3 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I think both can be true.

It can be a good financial decision to release at this price-point, for those who didn’t play the game already, and it will make a good deal of money for Nintendo, whilst simultaneously being a stingy decision which offers nothing new for those who already played this game on Wii U, whilst potentially negateing the need for a fresh sequel for everyone.

I thought the same thing when Simon and Schuster re-released Catch-22 for the for the kindle. They had nothing new to justify my repurchase and it was just so stingy. It’s like it was just for the people who haven’t read it before. I heard a few people loved it so much they wanted it again portable on a digital device so much they bought it again. But those people got no extra plot no new characters no new DLC or anything.

Ridiculous.