New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Stanley

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Thing is we all know how this industry works. The arguments being made by some here are disingenuous.

As an example of typical generational iterative model, though the games and platform are vastly different :

TLOU came out 2013

TLOU remastered 2014

TLOU2 sequel 2019

Compared to: 

NSMBU 2012

NSMBU remastered 2019

Or:

Halo 3 - Xbox 360 - 2007

Halo 3 - Xbox One X Rendered at 4k with HDR - 2017, but with the ability to use your original disk, later digital download, or just buy a copy for £5.

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

It’s been 7 years, and Nintendo can’t throw together another 2D Mario, especially given the minimal effort they put into NSMBU (outside of the level design, which is great).

I’m not asking for reasons why this is a aound financial decision by them or if it’s great for those who missed these games first time round. Switch was supposed to be consolidation of their handheld and home software development and yet so far their schedule is rammed full of Wii U ports. And as a Wii U owner I wasn’t enamored by many of these titles first time round.

I love my switch and it's plethora of ports but can definitely see what you mean, especially regarding the focus of development on a single platform. 

Still... at the end of the day I can't really complain as not buying a Wii U has paid off tremendously. :)

12 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Knowing how things work and saying it’s okay are different things though. I’m not surprised at the pricing. I rebought DKTF and I’ll probably get this eventually. That doesn’t make the practice okay. 

Of course it’s up to me if I buy it and I’m part of the problem if I do. I wouldn’t grumble this much as like you say, we all know the score, I’m just surprised people are defending it when it seems pretty clear it’s a bit shit, no matter how much we might be used to it. 

I totally get get what you are saying. And there is a truth to it. But at the same time, as a huge fan of single player games I’m not sure, whether endlessly reducing pricing - first by inflation alone but then by huge discounts just months after release is actually good for my hobby. Sure in the short term, but long term? 

You just end up with horrendous ‘monetisation strategies’ like single player fucking Loot boxes. 

I mean I remember when the ds was dead and that the future was iOS games. Cheap, novel, mechanically rich and just so exciting. But the race to bottom killed the perception of value and killed the platform. 

I want Nintendo games to keep perceived value because I want Nintendo to stay around. 

That said, with Nintendo’s fantastic industry leading internet account platform and friends code system it would go a long, long way, to give an ‘upgrade discount’ for owners on a prior platform. 

16 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I think both can be true.

It can be a good financial decision to release at this price-point, for those who didn’t play the game already, and it will make a good deal of money for Nintendo, whilst simultaneously being a stingy decision and a poor value proposition for those who already bought the game on Wii U. It’s existence diminishes the prospect of a fresh and superior sequel on Switch.

If it's successful I'd expect its existence to only aid development and production on a brand new NSMB game for Switch.

It's only poor value if you think it's a poor game or you've had your fill of the Wii U version in which case you wouldn't be considering it in the first place anyway.

The game sold 5 million on Wii U, a system which sold, what, 14 million in total? switch is already totalling 20 million+ so there's a market for this game and it fills a gap in their release schedule which to be fair is just coming off the back of 3 massive original Switch games (Pokemon, Mario Party and Smash). This year we already know about a new Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Deamon X Machina, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, possibly Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 - so it's not like their schedule is all ports as you are making it out to be.

13 minutes ago, Gord said:

Or we could talk about the game.  If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Gonna get my preload done tonight. Rather excited.

Oh yeah the game, it's fantastic, and really good in multiplayer which is one of the reasons I bought it.

I wouldn’t mind them churning out the ports if they weren’t being released instead of actual new games. 

I mean which Nintendo games are coming out this year that are any good? Yoshi, clearly, Animal Crossing for the weird folk who like that sort of thing and er, Luigi Mansion might possibly get a release if we’re lucky. 

Where’s this bloody Nintendo Direct that’s been rumoured? And what have Nintendo been doing for the past few years? All will be revealed in 2020. 

4 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I sound like I'm here to shit on the game, which is not my intention, if you're new to it: it's the best 2D Mario since SMW and I hope you have a blast.

But for a "Deluxe" version apparently the load times are 2+ seconds longer, there's longer input lag, and mapping of twirl on to jump is causing some complaints. And there's no subsititute for Boost Challenge mode.

Nothing major for casual players, but I guess we'll see how big those control issues are once the game is widely available and maybe they'll patch it?

Also apparently when you die you're put back into the world map? Wat. 

Edit: what Stanley said. 

5 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I sound like I'm here to shit on the game, which is not my intention, if you're new to it: it's the best 2D Mario since SMW and I hope you have a blast.

But for a "Deluxe" version apparently the load times are 2+ seconds longer, there's longer input lag, and mapping of twirl on to jump is causing speed runners problems. And there's no subsititute for Boost Challenge mode.

Nothing major for casual players, but I guess we'll see how big those issues are once the game is widely available and maybe they'll patch it?

Something we agree on! It is fantastic!

But yeah, the input lag and loading is pretty unforgivable if true. 

1 minute ago, LaveDisco said:

Something we agree on! It is fantastic!

But yeah, the input lag and loading is pretty unforgivable if true. 

Who is reporting this? It wasn't something I've seen mentioned anywhere, not even the Digital Foundry breakdown.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

The ports aren't for the audience we are part of, it's just a happy side effect that people will gladly pay more than once for games. I've rebought my share of them, but then I'm someone who will buy a game digitally a second time when it's on sale because I can't be arsed to keep changing the disk.

Ports are easy money. Nintendo might be guilty of shoveling them out, but when they're of the quality they are who can blame them? I bought Mario Kart, Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors (off the top of my head) because of the convenience the Switch affords and because I don't have room for my Wii U anywhere. It also helps all the dlc content is on Mario Kart and Hyrule.

I think they kind of are though as you just demonstrated as we're buying them

I still have my WiiU set up in the lounge with this game freely available and yet I'm buying it....so I can play it in bed (and play the Lugi stuff I never got too)

I made a vow not to get this after buying it for the Wii U and playing about twenty minutes and finding it the most mundane experience I've ever had with a Mario game and also because I've said to myself no new games til Sekiro. I accept I didn't give it a fair crack but in a way, my lacklustre commitment and economic impudence several years ago has finally taught me a lesson in the present day and my Sekiro pledge continues unbroken and only slightly threatened. This is the first time since the launch of the Switch that I've not just gone 'oh just fuckin get it' about a first party Nintendo game. 

I have finally evolved. 

I found the loading times to be sliiiiightly to long back on the Wii U version so it's a shame to hear they're apparently a tiny bit slower.

I'll probably still get it as I have some leftover credit but I'm in no rush even though it's one of my favourite Mario games.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

For me Nintendo need to get new games announced as well as doing these ports, because aside from the incredibly vague Metroid Prime 4 and Animal Crossing I have no idea what else is coming, and I know I won't buy Animal Crossing. 

Yoshi (March) and Fire Emblem ("Spring"). And Luigi's Mansion 3. And a "proper" Pokemon.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Do you think it cost as much to port as it did to develop for three years? Because the RRP is the same. Greedy Nintendo.

What if, while porting the engine and assets, they started building a sequel using them? Which they've not announced? What then, eh?

14 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

With the exception of Pokemon, these are mid-tier franchises, they're not the AAA Mario, Splatoon & Zelda games we got in 2017, or the revival of long sought-after franchises.

And now we seemingly won't have a new Mario Kart or NSMB to look forward to either. Nintendo need to start spilling what they're actually developing for Switch 2019/20.

Daemon X Machina, Pikmin, Town, Yokai Watch? And you discounted the "AAA" (which is a fucking stupid tag anyway) Animal Crossing and Metroid 4 already. There's every chance there's an F-Zero, Pilotwings, 2D Zelda game, Star Fox, NSMBU2, Donkey Kong, etc. - we don't know and it's not even nearly E3 yet.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Classic Stanley.

Some people find it hard to take a joke on here. I understand, just so you realise I'm not totally thick, the video was slowed down purposefully to illustrate input lag compared with the Wii U version. And despite not knowing the exact conditions in which these measurements were taken I accept it's entirely possible that it exists. Is it noticeable during play? I can't detect it and it plays fine, same with the loading time, hasn't affected my enjoyment as it's so short anyway.

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is it noticeable during play? I can't detect it and it plays fine, same with the loading time, hasn't affected my enjoyment as it's so short anyway.

Sorry Stanley, that's not how it works these days. Now people just pick apart  and over analyze every detail and find the tiniest "issues" so they can bitch about them on forums and in youtube videos. And of course if somebody watches these things and then tells you about them, despite them not being an issue for you before, now they're completely ruining the game for you.

Sorry.

Anyway I'm enjoying it although this thread is killing my enthusiasm a bit, it's just so relentlessly negative.

I've done the first world and a bit of the second and I'm actually finding it fairly challenging which surprised me. The easy mode using Nabbit isn't really that easy because you can still fall off platforms and lose a life, which for my 5 year old was happening fairly often. Was dead funny though with three of us playing and me carrying them and throwing them around the levels. It's an absolute blast in multiplayer.

I like the kind of bendy moving platforms and the rhythm is great once it clicks. The wing suit is lots of fun and looks like it will take a while to master. Loads of secrets everywhere too and sneaky design, really does remind me of SMW.

I've realised it's the first NSMB I've played since the very first DS game, so like 12 years ago! 

13 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Sorry Stanley, that's not how it works these days. Now people just pick apart  and over analyze every detail and find the tiniest "issues" so they can bitch about them on forums and in youtube videos. And of course if somebody watches these things and then tells you about them, despite them not being an issue for you before, now they're completely ruining the game for you.

Sorry.

If there's input lag and people notice it, it's a problem. Just because some people don't pick up on it doesn't make it go away!

I'm hoping I don't perceive it during play. I'm collecting my copy at lunchtime and I'm hopeful.

Just now, Colonel Panic said:

If there's input lag and people notice it, it's a problem. Just because some people don't pick up on it doesn't make it go away!

I'm hoping I don't perceive it during play. I'm collecting my copy at lunchtime and I'm hopeful.

I'm not saying input lag isn't a problem, I'm saying it's such a minuscule amount that very few people will notice it, the vast majority won't. Nintendo QA would have been fully aware of it and deemed it acceptable for release.