New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (2019)

Stanley

4 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Nintendoland was meant to be the system seller right? Now that was a right pile of shit. 

It really wasn't. Some games on it are amazing. There are a few duffers though.

On 10/01/2019 at 21:01, Stanshall said:

I made a vow not to get this after buying it for the Wii U and playing about twenty minutes and finding it the most mundane experience I've ever had with a Mario game and also because I've said to myself no new games til Sekiro. I accept I didn't give it a fair crack but in a way, my lacklustre commitment and economic impudence several years ago has finally taught me a lesson in the present day and my Sekiro pledge continues unbroken and only slightly threatened. This is the first time since the launch of the Switch that I've not just gone 'oh just fuckin get it' about a first party Nintendo game. 

I have finally evolved. 

Evolution revoked!

Grats on the promotion though!

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

I think there were other reasons but launching it with a very retro  styled game didn’t exactly set the world on fire.

Maybe it didn't but the other games in the series with the same look and design sold insane amounts. I think series fatigue may have set in as NSMB2 on 3DS had only just been released months earlier and sold incredibly well. The Wii U was doomed as soon as it was announced though IMO with poor messaging and marketing, no one understood it, or wanted it.

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Maybe it didn't but the other games in the series with the same look and design sold insane amounts. I think series fatigue may have set in as NSMB2 on 3DS had only just been released months earlier and sold incredibly well. The Wii U was doomed as soon as it was announced though IMO with poor messaging and marketing, no one understood it, or wanted it.

I’d also say that the other two being handheld games, where expectations are lower and already have a large install base didn’t do it any favours in comparison.

39 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’d also say that the other two being handheld games, where expectations are lower and already have a large install base didn’t do it any favours in comparison.

Yeah but worth pointing out this was a direct sequel to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which sold 30 million.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah but worth pointing out this was a direct sequel to New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which sold 30 million.

I'm confused - relative to the user base this sold incredibly well - its less well recognised mainly because it appeared on a console that well failed miserably to set the world on fire.

For anyone in doubt this has probably the best level design of any 2D Mario full stop. Anyone who like 'old' style Mario games and skipped the WiiU needs to buy it...

15 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

I'm confused - relative to the user base this sold incredibly well - its less well recognised mainly because it appeared on a console that well failed miserably to set the world on fire.

For anyone in doubt this has probably the best level design of any 2D Mario full stop. Anyone who like 'old' style Mario games and skipped the WiiU needs to buy it...

I'd already noted that it did well but that the reason it didn't do better was the Wii U itself and not a reflection of its quality or the popularity of the NSMB series.

It's a fucking awesome game just in case anyone is in doubt or confused.

Another point, people saying this was just thrown together on Wii U without much thought or whatever, after doing a bit of digging I found out it took 3 years to develop. Let's be honest if this game missed Wii U entirely and launched first on Switch it'd comfortably sell as well as any other big title for the system.

I haven't played it all yet but so far it seems like other Mario games, by that I mean the budget would appear to fund the games needs. I like how it looks though so I guess that helps. It just looks and feels classic Mario to me with a cleaner more modern aesthetic.

But you know, I love games such as Celeste or Axiom Verge too. I just think the style suits the game, and there are loads of nice little touches everywhere. It's not Mario Odyssey in terms of technical prowess or budget, but it doesn't need to be.

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Anyone got a link to the NES joy cons I've seen mentioned in here? Might pick this up for my holiday as got a 10 hour flight coming up 

You have to be signed up to switch online service and order through myNintendo. Though people may be selling theirs second hand by now on eBay.

9 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’m not doubting the games quality or saled or whatever, just that it was a bad call to launch the Wii U with something that looked so comparatively underwhelming. 

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Anyone got a link to the NES joy cons I've seen mentioned in here? Might pick this up for my holiday as got a 10 hour flight coming up 

You could go for one of the 8bit do controllers instead. They have great d pads.

I never even got to world 2 on the Wii U and I'm really enjoying this. I think having played plenty of NSMB on Wii, DS and 3DS, I'd had my fill of that formula and art direction by the time I got round to NSMBU. Since I've not played any 2D Mario for a good few years now, I'm much more into the presentation here and the gameplay and feel are a cut above. It's the game I'm looking forward to playing this weekend. 

WiiU was dead on arrival thanks to confused messaging and no marketing. Even when it was revealed, seasoned gamers weren’t sure if it was a new console or just a peripheral for the Wii. 

I reckon It could’ve launched with Odyssey and BOTW and still would’ve bombed. 

I personally loved my WiiU and played it more than any other console out at the time, but the whole package was a mess. 

I think I finished this on the Wii U, or got very close to the end at least. I remember thinking it was easily the best of the New SMB series and possibly the best 2D Mario ever. I loved it so much I bought the limited edition Luigi disc rather than just the DLC, only to find it was hard as nails and fail to ever even reach the first save point.

Hated this on the WiiU. Can't remember much about it, tbh, except I hated it. What I do remember is that in some parts there's actually a twat that stops you getting to the next level. Like, you know, a twat that intercepts you as you try to get to the next level and it triggers some shit little mini levels which was too fucking hard because the game was so shit you're not that bothered about gerting to the next level anyway!

Really liked the Wii one though. And the DS one.