Best one hit wonder of all time

On 03/02/2019 at 21:17, gone fishin' said:

I think it was the publicity from featuring in a Levis advert that helped it.... (this might have been the last Levis advert that featured a song?)

I remember being in a band when it came out and the guitarist was obsessed by them and tried to make us an Acid Jazz band.

Wasn't Spaceman a Levi song afterwards too? Certainly that's about the time it stopped being a hit factory anyway.  That era reminds me of

Who I've checked and this #6 was their only top 40.  To be fair that could be simply because they're a novelty project and the members had hits elsewhere.

Like this, the Cuban Boys who I mentioned earlier....

That's the only chart hit under that name, although they're still going and released the excellent album Machines last year.

But Ricardo Autobahn, the creative lead has been fucking everywhere,  for instance the background vocals on this weren't the "school girls" at all but were instead 2 members of the Cuban Boys plus some pitch shifting.

And again both Rikki and Daz appeared on this

And was last seen on this forum doing this glorious nonsense

And to make it even weirder, the other man in the video is Phil Fletcher, best known for building and being CBBC's Hacker the Dog.

On 05/02/2019 at 15:08, wullie said:

I can't get my head around the idea of the Wu-Tang Clan qualifying for a one-hit wonder list.

Well, they hit the top 10 featuring on Texas Say What You Want / Insane double A side 2 years prior to Gravel Pit, which might mean they don't meet the rules.

I was trying to think of other examples of where this might have happened and for some reason, this suddenly popped into my head (which does qualify if you ignore 'featuring' songs...)

...which then lead me to think about the concept of super groups, and wonder which may have only released one song.

Obviously this just becomes a myriad of charity and joke/spoof singles, all 4 Band Aids would obviously qualify for example, with all 4 being number 1 (I think?), but having different names (II, 20, 30) and no subsequent singles released by those band names, but that seems silly so I started thinking about obscure super groups (not to super groups? / those made up of artists who perhaps were much more successful together than apart)

Brandy & Monica's This Boy Is Mine meets the rules, but I never really liked it, so feel free to post it.

By this point, I've taken it all WAY too far, and my interest was shifting on to something else, except that I found this, which seems so fitting for my crazy trip through some one hit wonder history - AND as a bonus, I actually bought it when it was in the charts ;)

I feel I need to retierate the rules. If you don't agree, feel free to start you own thread.

1. "Hit" is definited as top 10 hit in the UK charts. Not the french charts, not the canadian charts. Not the taiwansese charts

2"Hit" is definied as top 10 in the UK charts. Not top 11, not top 12

3. "One hit wonder" is defined as no subsequent release entering the top 30. Not the top 35, not the top 40, not the top 50.

4. "Novelty" records are not counted ( mr Blobby etc)

5. Covers of previous hits are not counted .

6. Charity singles by collectives don't count.

I may or may not modify these rules as we go on.

8 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I feel I need to retierate the rules. If you don't agree, feel free to start you own thread.

1. "Hit" is definited as top 10 hit in the UK charts. Not the french charts, not the canadian charts. Not the taiwansese charts

2"Hit" is definied as top 10 in the UK charts. Not top 11, not top 12

3. "One hit wonder" is defined as no subsequent release entering the top 30. Not the top 35, not the top 40, not the top 50.

4. "Novelty" records are not counted ( mr Blobby etc)

5. Covers of previous hits are not counted .

6. Charity singles by collectives don't count.

I may or may not modify these rules as we go on.

I wasn't disagreeing, I was more discussing whether Wu Tang Clan qualify as your rules don't really cover it.

Wu Tang-Clan - Gravel Pit reached number 6

Texas Feat. Wu Tang-Clan - Say What You Want / Insane reached number 4, 2 years prior.

18 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Perfecto Allstarz and Planet Perfecto are both projects featuring Paul Oakenfold, who also had chart success with Grace (Not Over Yet) and Element Four (UK Big Brother Theme) and numerous remixes for other artists. 

Yep, as I said, I was looking at 'super groups'

I think Planet Perfecto was Oakenfold and the guy from/who was JX who released Son of a Gun around the same period, but... 

Planet Perfercto - Bullet In The Gun - Peak position 7

Planet Perfecto Feat. Grace - Not Over Yet 99 - 16

...anyway, I was in a meeting the other day when someone mentioned a guy who works for our Universities IT department, who was singer of a band in the 80s who had 1 hit.  It's a good one too...

• Upvote 2
On 13/02/2019 at 21:20, acidbearboy said:

Perfecto Allstarz and Planet Perfecto are both projects featuring Paul Oakenfold, who also had chart success with Grace (Not Over Yet) and Element Four (UK Big Brother Theme) and numerous remixes for other artists. 

And that happens a lot.

Darren Tate once had singles in the dance chart under 3 separate names at once (DT8 Project / Jurgen Vries).  The final 2 of those are multiple hits in the main chart but I don't think he ever charted in the main chart under his own name.

And to freeman's group point, JXL is a one hit wonder, even by Pete's rules (as if anyone except him cares) thanks to "A little less conversation".  But of course the other artist on that is Elvis who.... had the odd other success.

On 17/01/2019 at 22:12, acidbearboy said:

The Source feat. Candi Staton was a top 10 hit multiple times. 

Off-topic for this thread but I always wondered of Animal Collective were directly quoting the opening of this in My Girls.

On 11/01/2019 at 22:10, Stopharage said:

I loved this song when it came out. Loved it even more when Badly Drawn Boy included it on Magic in the Air.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but he got sued for that, I saw him at Reading one year and he was singing 'One hit wonders, steal your money' to the same tune, which fits in nicely with this thread.  This was before he became a bitter and twisted nightmare.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Don't know if it's already been mentioned but he got sued for that, I saw him at Reading one year and he was singing 'One hit wonders, steal your money' to the same tune, which fits in nicely with this thread.  This was before he became a bitter and twisted nightmare.

He what? What happened? He just seemed to vanish.

6 minutes ago, Festoon said:

He what? What happened? He just seemed to vanish.

In the early days he was a proper joy to watch live, genuinely funny and engaging.  He subsequently clearly fell out of love with the music industry and became totally morose on stage, it wasn't fun to see him live and I stopped going.

Edit - here's a link to a report on a gig which sounds like it was fun!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/dec/20/badly-drawn-boy-onstage-meltdown

49 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

In the early days he was a proper joy to watch live, genuinely funny and engaging.  He subsequently clearly fell out of love with the music industry and became totally morose on stage, it wasn't fun to see him live and I stopped going.

Edit - here's a link to a report on a gig which sounds like it was fun!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/dec/20/badly-drawn-boy-onstage-meltdown

Jaysus, that's incredibly sad.

It must be awful to have large initial success and then struggle to sell albums. Mercury Prize curse.

8 hours ago, Stopharage said:

They were just Saint Etienne under another guise, right? 

Saint Etienne are credited with mixing and production on the sleeve. Discogs has Bob Stanley and Pete Wiggs listed as members of Cola Boy, but according to the biography

"Cola Boy was a duo, consisting of Janey Lee Grace and Andrew Midgley. Andrew had worked with Bob and Pete on studio material in their pre-St Etienne days in the late 1980s. Janey had been a backing singer for numerous pop acts, including Wham and Pasty Kensit’s Eighth Wonder, and was a radio broadcaster on LBC. Sarah Cracknell sang the vocals on the original white label version of 7 Ways. After that initial batch sold out, it was re-recorded with vocals by Sarah’s friend Janey Lee Grace, as Sarah was under contract to another label and was not permitted to sing on non-St Etienne releases."

18 hours ago, Festoon said:

Jaysus, that's incredibly sad.

It must be awful to have large initial success and then struggle to sell albums. Mercury Prize curse.

I do think it was all connected, he had the best job in the world but started acting like it was all a massive inconvenience to him.  I think it affected his songwriting, which contributed to the dry up of album sales.  You can make a good living out of music, just doing what you love without being massive (look at someone like Steven Wilson), but if you start treating your loyal fans badly that'll go wrong very quickly.

21 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I do think it was all connected, he had the best job in the world but started acting like it was all a massive inconvenience to him.  I think it affected his songwriting, which contributed to the dry up of album sales.  You can make a good living out of music, just doing what you love without being massive (look at someone like Steven Wilson), but if you start treating your loyal fans badly that'll go wrong very quickly.

I saw a video of the gig described in that article you linked to and he just seemed desperately unhappy but taking it out on the people that paid to see him is just self-destructive and made him seem a massive knob. I remember thinking around the About A Boy period that movie soundtracks would turn into a career for him.

A bit of humility and a bit of hard work can really pay off - look at Clint Mansell. 

• Upvote 1