rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stejay

Best airplane table games

I’m just about to order The Struggle for Catan to play when flying, and I know there are loads of other obvious titles, but what are the forums favourite airplane table sized games for three players?

Three players is pretty specific for a game on a plane! 

I always bring Space Hulk Death Angel when I travel. Not sure how it plays with three people but it's fine for one and I usually travel alone. And it is a bit unwieldy for plane tables but it's fine for airport tables and hotel rooms etc. 

I also always bring Love Letter and Pit just because they are easy to carry around and a few starter packs of Magic. I also have a travel/magnetic set of the original Catan but never bring it because once you open it you can't get everything back in the box...

• Upvote 1

Ok, two to four players, to cover playing in airports, hotels, etc, but I was mainly thinking games we can play when sat three in a row.

Love Letter is always the first to be packed, but I haven’t heard of Pit. I’ll look into that now.

I’ve been thinking about travel Catan for a few years now. Is it really that hard to put away afterwards?

Ticket to Ride New York - also doubles up as the best version of Ticket to Ride anyway in my opinion.

Sail to India - all the fun of a difficult decision making Euro in a fraction of the space and time.

Jaipour - has been a favourite of mine on trains or just generally couples gaming. Two player only though.

• Upvote 1

Brave Rats is usually what my wife and I play on a plane.  You need very little space.  2player only, though. 

A typical game only lasts about 4minutes so you could keep rotating. 

• Upvote 1

On 13/01/2019 at 10:27, donpeartree said:

Brave Rats is usually what my wife and I play on a plane.  You need very little space.  2player only, though. 

A typical game only lasts about 4minutes so you could keep rotating. 

I’d never heard of this. It seems similar to Love Letter which is one of my favourite ever games, but one that I don’t enjoy with just two players. I’m going to get Brave Rats to solve that issue.

On 14/01/2019 at 16:42, Andy_Why said:

Red7, Coloretto and Railroad Inc would all work quite well.

My wife doesn’t like Red7, we don’t have Coloretto, and Railroad Inc is already on my purchase list as soon as I can find it in stock anywhere. Are either of the two editions better than the other?

They aren't exactly the same. The base game is identical in each but both editions have optional rules that differ from one another. The blue edition adds rivers and lakes and red adds meteors and volcanoes. Red can be quite destructive and although i havent played blue with rivers and lakes it certainly sounds like stuff is less likely to go up in flames!

5 hours ago, SimonC said:

They aren't exactly the same. The base game is identical in each but both editions have optional rules that differ from one another. The blue edition adds rivers and lakes and red adds meteors and volcanoes. Red can be quite destructive and although i havent played blue with rivers and lakes it certainly sounds like stuff is less likely to go up in flames!

Ah, I was sure I'd read something about some subtle differences.  Cheers both anyway.

On 12/01/2019 at 16:08, jonnyalpha said:

I can't imagine playing Pit on a plane. It gets very rowdy and you'll probably get arrested.

I’d never heard of this before, but got a copy from Amazon today and hell no, I certainly won’t be playing this on a plane!

• Upvote 2

Hanabi would work well on an aeroplane table I'd imagine.  The fact you're not trying to hide your hand of card from the other players (just from yourself) would be help in that rather unusual seating arrangement of three in a row.