Outer Wilds

Alex W.

Is no one else playing this? Awfully quiet in here. I’m enjoying this even if I’m finding it a little more difficult than the main game. For example the clues are all there on how to start the dlc but it’s a bit information overload so makes it a little confusing. I never felt that with the main fame, you either came across bits of info that you had to piece together or got things revealed in an ‘oh that’s what that is’ way.

Without going into spoilers the news areas whilst amazing initially are limited and actually understanding the locations are far more complex than any of the previous planets.

That doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying it though, it’s good but it feels a little different. If there is one big issue is the time loop actually gets in the way this time where as before you felt like you could learn something in each loop and then use that info for the next one, here the loop often stops you exploring mid run through.

I've just started playing this as in the original game. You can see where this gets it's gene's from, Fallout in space without the grim end of the world overtone. So far at least....

I've done about 6 or 7 loops of the DLC now and think I've figured out broadly what the end goal needs to be, although I'm still missing several pieces of the jigsaw regarding how to achieve it. The one thing I'm missing from the main game is the ability to easily go off in a completely different direction if you've got a bit stuck in one area - without any spoilers, the DLC takes place in a smaller self contained area where traversal between different places of interest requires a bit more planning and thought than simply jet-packing around.

There's a nice regular breadcrumb of clues and I'm always managing to make progress each loop. It's really nice to be back in to world of Outer Wilds.

I've played the DLC for a little while, and made it to the new place which I explored for a loop. I'm already really intrigued, but I think my head's just not in the right place for it at the moment. I adored the main game so I'm sure I'll love the DLC once I'm in the mood. :)

It's a little confusing to jump back in and recall the plot and mechanics of the previous game - I confidently jumped out the hatch into empty space without a suit on in one run 🙃. After getting up to speed and one loop into the new area and the big vibes of wonder are coming back. Gathering the pieces and constructing theories...mmm. It's going to be GOTY again isn't it.

16 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Not playing it yet but will be soon. Hoping it reappears on Gamepass but I enjoyed the game so much I'm not completely against buying it to support the developers. 

I got it in an Epic sale on PC quite a while ago and put a few hours in. Really liked it, but when it appeared on GamePass it really clicked with me as a "sofa game" rather than a "desk game". I was gutted when they pulled it from GamePass as it was something I'd go back to every now and then for an hour. Not really sure why they had it on there for such a limited period, as it would seem like a good opportunity to up-sell the DLC.

When is this coming out on the switch - I kind of gave up on the big telly playing it on xbox s, but I do think it would work really well as a handheld game and I'm keen to give it another go.

I’m still amazed that it’s going to come out on the Switch. It’s doing so much clever stuff from a computational point of view that if they pull it off it could be the best thing ever on the thing!

On 03/10/2021 at 10:34, marsh said:

I've just started playing this as in the original game. You can see where this gets it's gene's from, Fallout in space without the grim end of the world overtone. So far at least....

Is his an Outer Wilds / Outer Worlds mix-up?

The DLC is magnificently unsettling. Though I've just overcome a hurdle and discovered something new - and really quite beautiful. I'm excited to see what direction this goes in, as ever "there's more to explore here...".

Not been frustrated enough to look anything up yet either, that satisfying drip-drip of clues really working perfectly this time.

Just finished this and I have mixed feelings. Spoilers for everything including the ending.

Spoiler

The DLC is not as good as the base fame. You lose your ship, you lose your translator and it all being on one place makes a lot of the puzzles frustrating.

The new place looks great but is very dense with locations that it made it difficult for me to understand what doors access what and this means you can find new information in an order that can make things confusing. Certainly not helped without being able to see past reels again without actually going to get them again or the fact your ship log doesn’t seem to list all details. I especially had trouble with the ship log showing me there was nothing new to find but actually there was lots to explore still!

I loved all the hidden in plain sight puzzles, so inventive but I didn’t like that some mechanics worked on how you typically

played games. Eg. If you push a button and it does nothing why would you expect it to work another time due to something unrelated to it changing.

The time loop I enjoyed in the base game because I could use it as a natural break point to go somewhere else or review info I found. But with the single location it just stops you exploring or means wasting a few minutes getting back to the place. Then there is another timer with the dam which can be confusing till you figure it out.

I only ever found one clue obtuse in the base game and that was the final one like most people found. Where as I found a lot more in this dlc. Either because the information I learnt didn’t make sense at the time and later I’d forgotten it or because it wasn’t detailed enough for me to piece 2+2 together.

The stealth sections could have easily been way more fun without the pitch black setting (turn up the gamma in game for a bit of help) or by having the ‘enemies’ as ghosts. The issue with these sections is you’re trying to explore, just like the rest of the game except now you can’t see anything and have enemies you can bump into that set you back in progress.

The ending too needed to be more definitive. I wasn’t sure if I’d finished the DLC or if there was something else I needed to do. An achievement, end credits, a reset, just something to show I’d seen and done it all.

Whilst I’ve focused on all the negative aspects there is a lot to like and I do recommend playing this. But it’s not as clear and easy to understand as the base game and the single location does mean a bit of Information overload and feeling stuck not knowing what to do next. It has some great moments, more moments of frustration than the base game and a very interesting story that perfectly fits into the world that can be a little difficult to understand but I’m glad we got more. It’s another great mystery but not as good as the base game.

Anyone beat this without looking anything up? I'm pretty far in and can tell I'm near the end, but some of this shit is just so hard. The drip feed of solving each puzzle gets slower and slower -- it does have the added effect of making each discovery feel even more revelatory -- but goddamn if I haven't spent the past few hours getting no where.  Each of the beginning zones are telling me there is still more to explore, which I find rather hard to believe since I've been pottering around them for what feels like years. 

Not that anyone cares, but I manage to finish it. Amazing DLC, but one of the problems that can crop up in open ended (no handholding) games like this is that the developer runs the risk of having a player miss a vital clue because the player didn't behave exactly as they assumed they might. In this case it was something I had done multiple times, but didn't realize by standing closer to it that it would beam a vision into my brain. Doing that earlier would have saved me about five hours of meandering. 

I've put a few more hours into the DLC this weekend and made lots of new discoveries, however I think I've hit a bit of a brick wall. I've followed all the clues to their logical conclusion expect one where I can't quite tell where it wants me to go.

Anyone fancy dropping a mild hint pointing me in the right direction?

Spoiler

It's the reel from that room in the Hidden Gorge that you have to drop down the lift shaft to get to. It shows a dude walking over an invisible walkway to get to a building. The related clue in the ship's computer says something about a mural with a large tree.

47 minutes ago, MechE said:

I've put a few more hours into the DLC this weekend and made lots of new discoveries, however I think I've hit a bit of a brick wall. I've followed all the clues to their logical conclusion expect one where I can't quite tell where it wants me to go.

Hide contents

It's the reel from that room in the Hidden Gorge that you have to drop down the lift shaft to get to. It shows a dude walking over an invisible walkway to get to a building. The related clue in the ship's computer says something about a mural with a large tree.

I hope I'm thinking of the right thing here

Spoiler

but if it's the reel I'm thinking of: Have you found a little outdoor space that's set up for a concert? 

I know this is vague, but it may give you enough to work with to solve the reel. 

23 hours ago, MechE said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was about to pop in and ask how you were getting on after your earlier post about thinking you knew where things were heading after 6 or 7 loops. I was concerned that I was very slow in figuring things out - I have now completed it but it took me far longer than that.

Thinking back to those first few sessions my theory was...

Spoiler

There are four towers designed to provide power for a ship to escape the current location but only three of them are working and you'd have to figure out how to get all four to work in order to escape. 

I didn't find any time to play again until last weekend, and I must say having now done several more loops, it's clear there's a lot more going than I initially suspected.

I've been plugging away at this the past few weeks, I'm far into it now. It is, of course, excellent, bar the timeloop annoyances that plagued the original. Straight from the start it blows your mind and does a great job with a new kind of storytelling. I've kind of got to a bit that sucks though, but maybe I need a new approach.

Lategame (?) major spoilers:

Spoiler

At first I thought the 'dark world' was a bit creepy but not too scary. Oh god how wrong I was. In the bayou last night, I found the area where the lantern guys are wandering around. That was a bit scary, especially when they spotted and caught you.

But then I got to the tower 'village', with the pit in the middle and the thudding footsteps overhead. Pretty creepy. And then I found the route to the device which makes all the lights go out and the deer-men scream. I knew they'd be wandering around with their lanterns. But it fucking scared the shit out of me when I barreled right into one with no warning, and from then on it was absolutely terrifying as they conceal their lights and stalk you. But of course to see where to go you have to turn on your light as well, and to see where they are you need to shine your light on them, alerting them.

Its a horrific game of hide and seek and the most scared I've been in a game since probably Alien Isolation. Its also total genius game design. The problem is that it's really unforgiving and annoying because it's basically an instakill, its easy to get caught or accidentally dunk yourself into water as well. I made it down to the pit after a number of tries and was horrified to find it was swarming, ending in a panic striken hide and seek after I fell to the bottom floor which I ultimately lost. 

Thankfully I may have found a way to deal with them, which was spoiled for me by stupidly watching a lets-play after that session where the guy mused about an idea, which I think is a very good one that I'll have to try. I'm annoyed that I might have spoiled a solution for myself, but honestly I would have kept banging my head against this scary-ass section and didn't really think of alternatives, and if the solution is what I think it is, I think it would have taken ages to figure it out unless there is a hint somewhere about it.

I'm not quite sure if I'm missing more clues to make life easier, I found all the reels about the dark world padlock secrets so now I guess I just have to grin and bear the scary bits. I'm not going to wimp out yet but if the 'solution' doesn't work and I keep getting instakilled, maybe I'll eventually turn off the scary setting a bit! I was expecting creepy but not full-out horror and horror game mechanics, on one hand I think its amazing and the other half of me hates it! Haha!

No spoilers really, just responding to the above:

Spoiler

Like you, I enjoyed the menace and the change of pace. However, I decided to use the setting in the menu eventually - stealth challenge is not really what I was playing the game for.

8 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Ah, interesting. Can you tell me what changing the setting does exactly (in spoilers)?

Spoiler

They move more slowly and use their own lights a lot less when chasing you down. There is also less scary sound and music. Reddit also says the animation when they catch you changes, but I didn't notice that.

Finished the DLC tonight, I wish they'd made the ending more definitive. I thought I had more to do and wasted about an hour trying different ideas before realising maybe that was it, and checking online I was right. Anyway, it's a quality DLC, really clever puzzles that test your knowledge of the game systems and the time loop mechanics. Amazing new locales to explore. A new form of storytelling which is very effective and big on atmosphere. Some of the puzzles and reveals are mindblowing, just as good as the original game if not better in some cases.

I do have some issues though, mainly to do with the time loop and new mechanics making the game more frustrating. Towards the end getting around and testing ideas becomes a real pain due to the DLC's structure. Also as people have mentioned above, the storytelling/clues device is annoying because there's not an easy way to revisit the information. I ended up making lots of screenshots and gameplay captures so I didn't have to take loads of notes.

But overall I definitely recommend Echoes of the Eye if you enjoyed the original. It's also genius how it ties into the main story without breaking the original plot, and cleverly slots into the core game. Its so well integrated you could even believe it was all there in the original game if it wasn't for the few pointers that get you on your way.

Major Spoilers for ending etc:

Spoiler

So the 'solution' I mentioned in my last post was about the deermen having lamps in the real world that would get snuffed out by the flood. This is what the Youtuber I watched had a realisation about, and he identified the screams in the dream world as being them getting snuffed out. Of course that set my brain racing for possible solutions to my deer men woes. I figured I might be able to tackle each deerman infested area after they had 'died' if I timed it right.

Of course that turned out to be only partially correct. The dream world bayou was the first port of call because the deermen there would get snuffed out first, being from the first temple by the dam. I realised I would need to enter the dream world from the safest location possible to maximise my time in the dream world, so entered via the stilt village temple. That confirmed my theory that the deermen would die in the dream world, and allowed me to access the house in the bayou and get my first clue. I'd already followed the deermen to the house in previous runs so I knew I had to somehow get in there.

Over multiple runs I came to the horrible realisation that the cliffside mansion in the dream world would have to be tackled with no extra help, and probably the village too. I managed the cliffside mansion one after a few goes, although it was terrifying! The village was much harder, I tried timing a few attempts around the deermen getting snuffed out, but this is right before the end of the loop and you don't have enough time to do anything.

Being stuck, I wandered around in the 'real world' and realised the bell had a fire too, which led me to the coffin in the dream world at last. Then I spent a while with the newfound info of falling 'out of bounds'. What really held me up and would have saved me hours if I'd realised sooner, was that you can drop your artifact on the floor in the dream world. You have to aim so far down that I'd tried before and just not gotten the prompt for it, so assumed you were tied to your artifact in the dream world, and that you were only allowed to get rid of it in special devices. Dammit!

I ended up doing the village the hard way, sneaking through the basement and then outright running across the walkway when I got spotted. I only just made it. I have a feeling this is the only way to do it first time, unless you figure out the suicide-to-avoid-bells yourself. Clearing the basement teaches you that trick, and of course re-visiting it with that knowledge makes it much easier as there is only one baddy down there if you don't extinguish the flames. I wasted a number of runs exploring the basement using both of my newfound skills, trying to find the code for the bell bridge at the coffin. This was when I thought I hadn't finished the DLC, when I had, and was looking for ways to cross the bell bridge without having to commit suicide!

With my new tricks in hand I was finally able to open the coffin and get the ending, although of course I didn't realise that was it, and thought I'd missed something. I thought maybe I had to meet up with the guy in the real world, although I figured he would be dead. On returning to the coffin in the real world after breaking some of the seals in the dream world I realised the coffin remains intact in the real world, which finally prompted me to check online and confirm I had actually finished it! Phew!

Honestly the last part of the game had some amazing locations, reveals and puzzles, and really tested your knowledge of the world. But it was also frustrating and very long winded, especially for me as I'd missed a few key details like putting down the artifact. Testing new theories requires restarting the loop, and once you have to suicide, any mistake is a restart of the whole loop instead of just a reset in dream world. Plus having to constantly juggle where to enter the dream world and take rafts in both worlds got pretty old. At least it was satisfying once it all clicked into place, and I liked that you got to see un-burned versions of some of the original projector reels. The story was really cool, aside from it being pretty ridiculous to what level of security they decided to put on the prisoner. I wish they'd played some credits after you view the final slides so you'd know that was the end of the DLC, even though it does affect the main games ending as well (which is a neat touch that I only read about afterwards).

It still had some great reveals though, like the whole thing being a simulation with cool bugs and logic to exploit. The hidden archives and the coffin cave, the complete story of the deer men. The insanely clever puzzles like using the flood to wipe out deer men but entering the dream in a different location so you won't wake up at the same time. I loved that the whole keycode thing for the 3 coffin locks was a massive gotcha, I was thinking how lame it was that we were just going to get codes, when in fact it was just mechanical knowhow we needed all along. And this is only in the second half of the game. The first half is a joy of exploration and awe at the spectacle of the ring world, the flood, and piecing together an increasingly creepy story. So despite my issues with the game, I can't help but be in awe of it overall.

Having not played the game since it was first released, I'm finding this DLC very difficult! Only done three loops (not counting forgetting to put my suit on, or crashing my ship into the dlc area so hard I immediately died) and struggling to get going. Guess this is the common complaint, that with such a smaller game space there's little else to explore when stuck. There are very few clues to be working on. 

I guess I'm not stuck as such, rather it's not obvious what I'm meant to be doing, which is clearly different :)

So far the amosphere and the look of the new area is amazing, the first reveal when you get in is gob-smacking. I'm finding it difficult to navigate around though, certainly not able to fling myself around like I could on the other planets.