IGNORED

Outer Wilds

Alex W.

I noticed a cool very minor detail watching a Lets Player play this (big spoilers):

Spoiler

The house with all the ghost matter around it where you get an artifact, you know how you access it by going up from below because the floor is broken? Well I noticed that next to the broken piece of floor on the ground is one of the 'beta' artifacts, without the focusing attachment. So presumably there's a giant hole in there because someone exploded it trying to use the dodgy artifact! I love the level of detail in this game.

End-game spoilers:

On that topic - when I realised I had to kill myself, I was racking my brains how to do so, forgetting the obvious reason. So one of the first things I tried was grabbing one of the beta artifacts from the test chambers and sleeping with that by the fire. As you can imagine the outcome wasn't ideal... There's even an achievement for trying it!

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this up in the sale after foolishly letting it sail by me previously, it is every bit as wonderful as expected, pure joy.

I have the version with the DLC and I'd prefer not to touch that yet if possible, can anyone tell me if it's easy to avoid or even if I should avoid it, or if it adds anything I might use etc.

I've no idea if I'm able to blunder into it and spoil anything etc.

Don't go into the DLC it until finishing the main game, you'll be able to go back after and do it. Just don't follow the clues in the satellite dish tower shack on your home planet and you'll be good, its almost impossible to go into accidentally. The new additions which lead you to the DLC are the radio tower shack and the new entry in the museum which talk about the satellite which orbits the solar system. There's nothing new it adds which can help you in the main game.

12 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Don't go into the DLC it until finishing the main game, you'll be able to go back after and do it. Just don't follow the clues in the satellite dish tower shack on your home planet and you'll be good, its almost impossible to go into accidentally. The new additions which lead you to the DLC are the radio tower shack and the new entry in the museum which talk about the satellite which orbits the solar system. There's nothing new it adds which can help you in the main game.

Thank you, thats exactly what I needed to know, cheers!

I'm playing through the DLC with my partner, same as we played through The Outer Wilds last year. And, I've got to say, I've never played such a finely crafted piece of gaming content.

I've lost count of the number of times we've just looked at each other and said "what the fuck is this game?" or been utterly gobsmacked by some cryptic revelation. Teasing out the DLC's secrets has been perfectly paced, with barely a single loop where we didn't push further ahead. It's a real masterpiece of game design that everything can be available to you on the very first loop, but it's all so cleverly hidden or obfuscated that you still end up following a semblance of a critical path. It's also genuinely unnerving in parts, in a way that the main game wasn't.

We unearthed this revelation last night that felt like a genuine shock, something that seemed to change how we'd been approaching the game up until that point. It was a perfect moment, and it felt earned. There didn't seem anything cheap or contrived about it.

I've no idea how far through we are at this point, I hope there's lots more to discover, but it feels like we're approaching the end. So, I feel comfortable in recommending it to anyone who liked The Outer Wilds - just, please, try not to read a single thing about it beforehand.

I really need to get back to the DLC in this. I just started and very quickly (a few loops in the new place) found myself a bit stuck. I suppose in the main game I always had the option to bail and go explore something different. I'm also finding that there are fewer obvious orange 'Go here see more' pointers on my log screen; but I think I've explored pretty thoroughly in the places I can get to.

I'm sure when it clicks it'll be fantastic -- might see if I can carefully google some hints without landing on spoilers.

Or I suppose I can just say here (DLC spoilers enclosed):

Spoiler

I'm in the place, found and looked at some projections, eventually managed to get into one of the underground alternate worlds with the candles. But I just kind of wandered around aimlessly, then the real world got flooded so I was snapped out. Is there something specific I'm supposed to do in there before it floods, or should my focus be on somehow slowing the flood (or going somewhere completely different)?

2 minutes ago, StephenM said:

Or I suppose I can just say here (DLC spoilers enclosed):

Spoiler

I'd focus on exploring right now over trying to figure out that particular conundrum. How did you access the alternate world? Could you repeat the process elsewhere in the real world?

I feel like OW always benefits from a breadth of exploration before delving deeper on any one particular blocker.

The best time i had with this was when i stumbled upon something with no idea how it happened or why...yet

Spoiler

Like when i was standing on a planet teleporter. I knew there had to be something about it, it was too detailed and glowing to just be random scenery but nothing ever happened until one time when im running around one and zoooopppp i appear on another teleporter on another planet. That was amazing, especially as i didn't know what activated it and when i finally did find out the answer was amazing.

• 1 month later...

Playing through this now, and the whole Dark Bramble bit is kind of souring my enjoyment of what up until now has been an incredible game.

I know what to do, but having one tiny fuck up mean you instantly lose that loop is a bit shit.

Spoiler

Getting past the Angler Fish to the Vessel is proving to be a total nightmare. 

I know the trick, I know what I have to do, but I keep doing one little fuck up on the way to my signal scout and dying.

Bought this on Steam yonks ago but dropped it after 30 minutes due to crashing the ship repeatedly then not understanding what on earth to do. 

Anyway, thanks to @Jamie John’s thread I have been looking at games I’ve bought and not played and this just felt like something I needed to give another go. 

Im very glad I did. I still can’t fly very well and still (after three cycles) still don’t know what’s going on, but I’m actually enjoying just flying around and exploring. Hoping things will make more sense as I find more points of interest. I must admit the lack of direction is rather jarring but I’m just going to go with it and see what happens. After clocking Obra Dinn I was looking for something else that demands using my brain rather than my shit reflexes (glares at Halo) so this will do nicely. 

@spanx Good to hear :)

I spent the first couple of runs doing my own thing too. There is actually some direction on (or near) the home planet if you look out for it. Chatting to some of the folk in the starting area might give you some tips. Although it might not feel like it, there’s a definite structure, but flying around and getting lost is also half the fun.

Yep just explore and if you start hitting dead ends, go to the ship log (console on your ship) which will tell you if there is stuff you missed in each location, and help to collate the info you have gathered.

Don't be afraid to use the autopilot to get to planets if you are having flying issues. You can pretty much crash land and still manage to make it out of the ship in most cases.

I used autopilot all the time to approach stuff, just taking manual control to land or do, well, manual stuff. Just make sure it's not going to try and fly you through the sun or something. :D

I just finished the base game and wow, definitely one of my favourite games of all time.  

Managed it all without a guide except for (late game spoiler)

Spoiler

Getting inside the Ash Twin Project, but I don’t feel bad.  I might have gotten there myself but it would probably have take a couple more hours of playing and revisiting places to read clues again.  Even then the actual mechanics of warping inside were really fiddly for me to nail down and took a couple of loops to do even when I knew what to do.  I’d probably have written that place off of as an out-of-order warp plate as it never does anything unless your timing is perfect (obv. That’s the point though :))

also felt the hard bit was hard 

Spoiler

Idk why as doing every bit individually to learn about them wasn’t a problem, but I guess the pressure of having to do it all together and knowing that I’d die of if failed made me make stupid mistakes every time.  Probably took me about 15 goes in the end but glad I persevered and did it though!

I do have one last question, is there any in game explanation for why the loop is 22m, and not say 20, or 23, or 30 or whatever?

Spoiler

There was a note about “with enough power can we send things back say 20m” or something along those lines at one point, but no explanation as to why that number.

OH! I just had a thought

Spoiler

It’s because the exploding sun generates that much power.  A smaller sun would result in a  shorter time!

Ahhh, this is why the game is so great, even though I finished it I’m still deducing things *by myself*!

5 hours ago, fish said:

I just finished the base game and wow, definitely one of my favourite games of all time.  

Managed it all without a guide except for (late game spoiler)

Hide contents

Getting inside the Ash Twin Project, but I don’t feel bad.  I might have gotten there myself but it would probably have take a couple more hours of playing and revisiting places to read clues again.  Even then the actual mechanics of warping inside were really fiddly for me to nail down and took a couple of loops to do even when I knew what to do.  I’d probably have written that place off of as an out-of-order warp plate as it never does anything unless your timing is perfect (obv. That’s the point though :))

also felt the hard bit was hard 

Hide contents

Idk why as doing every bit individually to learn about them wasn’t a problem, but I guess the pressure of having to do it all together and knowing that I’d die of if failed made me make stupid mistakes every time.  Probably took me about 15 goes in the end but glad I persevered and did it though!

I do have one last question, is there any in game explanation for why the loop is 22m, and not say 20, or 23, or 30 or whatever?

Hide contents

There was a note about “with enough power can we send things back say 20m” or something along those lines at one point, but no explanation as to why that number.

OH! I just had a thought

Hide contents

It’s because the exploding sun generates that much power.  A smaller sun would result in a  shorter time!

Ahhh, this is why the game is so great, even though I finished it I’m still deducing things *by myself*!

I wouldn't feel too bad about not being able to figure out how to get into that place on your own. The same thing happened to me, and, from what I can deduce, a lot of reviewers who played the game before guides became readily available. Some reviews remark about getting stuck on a late game puzzle that, I would imagine, had something to do with this. 

Yeah, I got stuck on that puzzle too, I figured all the rest myself. It doesn't have enough hints and is very fiddly and specific. I got stuck for hours and hours whereas every other puzzle something clicked after a while, which kind of proves it wasn't in line with the other puzzles in the game, and a lot of other players had the same problem. Its also unfortunate that for most people its one of the final puzzles in the game, which means the game's strength of just going off to explore elsewhere if you get stuck no longer applies. 

For those who have recently finished the main game, don't forget the amazing DLC, Echoes of the Eye.

I also got stuck on that puzzle, and resorted to a guide. I figured out enough to know where I was supposed to do something, but if there were any in game clues beyond that I didn't find them. I don't think you had to perform that action anywhere else in the game either, so it was a bit of an anomaly.

Wanted to play this for a while so downloaded it off Gamepass for the Series X, it’s a pity it’s still in 30fps because after being spoiled by the performance of Halo Infinite it feels like walking in treacle. 

I've found it runs OK on the XBox One S, but also my definition of "OK" is finding out that it only chugs sometimes when I'd expected it to be borderline unplayable, so I guess it depends on your tolerance for this stuff. It would definitely be preferable to be locked to 60fps, especially when there's so much more power in a Series X.

So I'm about six hours in to this so far and I'm amazed how much I've been through in such a short time. It feels like I've been exploring the system forever and still have a ton to discover. I can only play so much of it in one go though, as discovering new stuff makes my skin crawl and there's only so long I can deal with that sensation before I have to pack it in for a bit! When I'm not playing it I'm mentally unpacking all the stuff that's been discovered and I'm just completely smitten with it. It reminds me of games like Captain Blood, only with 30 years of technology and storytelling in videogames behind it.

Oh and I laughed like an idiot when the Autopilot 

Spoiler

flew me directly into the sun

I reckon I'm about half way through this, I'm enjoying it but starting to lose enthusiasm to play it now... Strange question, but is there is something I've perhaps not discovered that could make me get behind it a bit more at this stage?  

17 minutes ago, meatbin said:

I reckon I'm about half way through this, I'm enjoying it but starting to lose enthusiasm to play it now... Strange question, but is there is something I've perhaps not discovered that could make me get behind it a bit more at this stage?  

Assuming you're still following the trails of clues and narrative, and not stuck, then probably not I'm afraid. It's all about learning stuff that teaches you how to use other stuff, and indeed learning what's going on in the system.

All I would add is that I think the story is genuinely excellent, based on a brilliant sci-fi concept. It's worth seeing it through.

Tiny bit stuck, looking for a nudge on one or two of the following. Spoilers within.

Spoiler

I'm coming across a lot of Ghost Matter that is preventing me from getting places. Will I be able to bypass this at some point? I've explored quite a lot of stuff and haven't found anything that even references it beyond the "exhibit" in the village.

I made it all the way to the Nomai Grave at Bramble Hollow, but neglected to fire a drone into it. I'm also getting "There's more to explore here" on this one but there really wasn't. Am I going to have to make the trek all the way back there just to fire a drone in to the seed? I fired one into the seed on Timber Gorge and it seemed to wind up in the foggy bit in Bramble Hollow so I'm presuming firing the drone into it will have it wind up somewhere else.

Can you actually get inside The Interloper? I spent ages looking for a fissure and couldn't find anything. [edit] I may have discovered something, ignore this for now [edit 2] I got in and it raised as many questions as it answered

When each loop starts, you see something come off the Orbital Probe Cannon - not sure if it's the probe or the Probe Tracking Module. It goes in a random direction each time. I've tried chasing it by getting up to the ship as fast as possible but can never seem to track it. Am I wasting my time here or will I be able to reach it?

Can you escape the White Hole? Whenever I fall into it (without ship) I just seem to be stuck and can't glean anything useful from it.

I've had a couple of runs where I made little to no progress despite doing what I thought was discovering a ton of stuff. The last loop had me

Spoiler

Recalling the ship from the Quantum Moon to the Hanging City, then boarding it and firing it off out the Gravity Cannon again. I recalled it once after I was flying to nothing, then relaunched it and flew to what appeared to be the Quantum Moon; however I then landed in the sea on Giant's Deep and could see something under the surface with what appeared to be two poles on it, but couldn't progress further.

Still a bit more exploring to do in a couple of locations which might open more things up, but there's places where I must have missed one important thing becuase I'm sure I've scoured them but the game thinks otherwise. Still having an absolute blast.

I don't want to spoil anything so I'll only answer one of your questions. Not all ghost matter is dangerous, your scout can detect dangerous ghost matter, go back to Timber Heath and check out the exhibit at the top of the village (by the entrance to the gravity training) to see how it works. 

As for the rest, just keep at it, explore different threads and if you get really stuck you can come back here.

And done. It's 95% one of the greatest gaming experiences ever, and 5% wanting to put my controller through the TV due to bafflingly shit game design. I need to go back in, just to visit earlier places to get the story straight in my head. Still feels like there's something to do, but I don't think there can be. Tbh, that feeling is very much like the main game.

Also, as disappointed as I was with the lack of flying around, that planet had more imagination put into it than a thousand other games. Incredible.

4 hours ago, therearerules said:

And done. It's 95% one of the greatest gaming experiences ever, and 5% wanting to put my controller through the TV due to bafflingly shit game design. I need to go back in, just to visit earlier places to get the story straight in my head. Still feels like there's something to do, but I don't think there can be. Tbh, that feeling is very much like the main game.

Also, as disappointed as I was with the lack of flying around, that planet had more imagination put into it than a thousand other games. Incredible.

There probably isn't anything left to do, although did you get into these places?

Spoiler

The room with the lantern symbols that you can see via a window in the stilt village? Its possible to skip that room if you make correct choices earlier. There's also the room with a code lock to the left of the dam which is optional, but most people get this. The final optional place I can think of is the rooms atop the dam.

Progress is slowing now, though I've found a couple of huge things tonight that I'm amazed I missed on multiple occasions. 

Oh and also

Spoiler

I caught up with the probe!

I followed the probe for the whole 22 minutes!

Nothing happened!