Outer Wilds

Alex W.

The time limit is perfectly tuned. It does get a bit roguelike when you're trying to accomplish a specific task and you die 2-3 times getting there. But I was only frustrated once in the game very near the end and that was because a puzzle was a bit too obtuse (or I was a bit too thick) rather than any mechanic being underdeveloped or badly designed.

Like others have said the time loop is absolute integral to the story/plot, the nature of the game and its message and themes.

50 minutes ago, matt0 said:

It IS frequently repetitive though. Every time you painstakingly navigate somewhere, and then a quirk of the physics engine sees you careen down a black hole, or ping off in to space, you have to make the whole trek again. And then if you get there but don't get everything done in time, well you have to do the whole thing again.

When I said I was done with it everyone gave me advice about getting past the angler fish, but really I just couldn't face waiting for the sand level to go down on the ash twin at the start of the final run - it was like an extra 5 minute load time, except a load time I could potentially fuck up if I wasn't paying attention because I was bored and looking at my phone. Just a really shitty thing to expect a player to have to put up with.

It needed a quick save.

Or the ability to make your own mini time loops inside the main loop, which could've been part of the statue lore and would have made perfect sense thematically.

I’ve certainly tried to quickly fly back to a planet like 5 times and died in various ridiculous ways each time - jumping out my ship without a space suit and suffocating, not realising I’m parked on a cliff edge and falling 200ft out of the porthole to my death, etc. 

9 minutes ago, Moz said:

The time limit is perfectly tuned. It does get a bit roguelike when you're trying to accomplish a specific task and you die 2-3 times getting there. But I was only frustrated once in the game very near the end and that was because a puzzle was a bit too obtuse (or I was a bit too thick) rather than any mechanic being underdeveloped or badly designed.

Like others have said the time loop is absolute integral to the story/plot, the nature of the game and its message and themes.

Everyone's mileage is going to vary, but I had an incredible first 10 hours with the game and then a slow decline after that until the last few evenings I played it I wasn't enjoying it at all.

I'll happily die repeatedly over and over trying to get to a bonfire in Dark Souls, or repeat the first two levels of a shmup, or do multiple failed runs of a good roguelike because in all those examples I'm always engaged with the part of the game that's interesting to me. With Outer Wilds, once I'd explored everywhere and had a rough idea of what I needed to do, for every 20 minutes or so I was sat in front of the game only about 5 minutes of that time felt like I was actually playing the game. After a while, the empty 15 minutes of the loop killed my enjoyment of the other 5.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Bought this last night and had to give up. I'm SO confused about the flying, spent about 30mins trying to land on a planet. What am I missing? There seemed to be an autopilot mode but it wasn't helping.

It's worth practising with the remote ship on Timber Hearth until you've got the controls down. 

58 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Yeah none of these comments really help, I would just search a video but worried about spoilers or something. Anyone know of any videos that's JUST about the flying?

It's won Polygon's GOTY >< 

https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/13/21011871/outer-wilds-goty-best-games-of-the-year

Ok, use the autopilot until you get there then the match speed lock on thing once you get close. Then switch the views to the landing camera so that your looking 'down' and just delicately as possible use the thrusters to move and land as softly as possible. 

Also, are you using a pad as I found it much easier on that?

2 hours ago, Len said:

Ok, use the autopilot until you get there then the match speed lock on thing once you get close. Then switch the views to the landing camera so that your looking 'down' and just delicately as possible use the thrusters to move and land as softly as possible. 

Also, are you using a pad as I found it much easier on that?

yeah pad, will give it another go

Yeah this isn't working for me at all. I just can't land on another planet or even get close to one to attempt it. Auto pilot or moving at the same speed doesn't help. 

just quickly scrubbed through two different playthroughs and they seem to just lift off and land somewhere else on the SAME planet so perhaps I'm jumping ahead of myself by trying to get to ANOTHER planet? Perhaps it's not possible this early on? Like there is a missing tool or something that helps?

4 hours ago, Len said:

Ok, use the autopilot until you get there then the match speed lock on thing once you get close.

Thats pretty much how I was doing it too but without any good landing - lock on, auto pilot, slow down, match speed, crash - which is fine as long as you’re not going too fast compared to the planet.

9 hours ago, Capwn said:

Yeah this isn't working for me at all. I just can't land on another planet or even get close to one to attempt it. Auto pilot or moving at the same speed doesn't help. 

just quickly scrubbed through two different playthroughs and they seem to just lift off and land somewhere else on the SAME planet so perhaps I'm jumping ahead of myself by trying to get to ANOTHER planet? Perhaps it's not possible this early on? Like there is a missing tool or something that helps?

I cannot understand this at all, the ship is so easy to fly :lol:

11 hours ago, Capwn said:

The only thing you 'unlock' in this game is knowledge of how things work*. You can get everywhere and do everything once you have access to your ship.

Are you constantly holding in the right-trigger during flight, like an accelerator, rather than using the left stick once you've escaped an object's gravity? Not sure where else you could be going so wrong, but I'd recommend checking out the cave in the starting area for zero-g navigation training.

*Okay, technically there's a new menu option you can unlock. That's just a convenience, though, and doesn't affect minute-to-minute gameplay.

Managed to lift off and land elsewhere on the same planet a couple of times even though it was pointless both times as I clearly didn't have what I needed to open a door etc.

I tried landing in the planet with the big hole in it, managed to fly into the hole. Couldn't see anything and got eaten by a big fish.

2 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Not sure where else you could be going so wrong, but I'd recommend checking out the cave in the starting area for zero-g navigation training.

Yeah, see I missed this part but noticed both play throughs did it. 

8 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Managed to lift off and land elsewhere on the same planet a couple of times even though it was pointless both times as I clearly didn't have what I needed to open a door etc.

I tried landing in the planet with the big hole in it, managed to fly into the hole. Couldn't see anything and got eaten by a big fish.

Progress! 

• 2 weeks later...

i didn’t use autopilot much but I used match velocity all the time. I just don’t get the major struggles people have to fly the ship, except to say it’s easy to accidentally use the triggers like a racing game and think you’re trusting forward and back like a car when you’re  actually thrusting vertically in the heat of the moment. 

Fly into the vicinity of a planet and match velocity, then use the landing camera if you need it to land. The planets have their own gravity and your ship will right itself to the surface as you approach as long as you’re going a sensible speed and decelerating. 

Absolutely baffles me that this is game of the year at Eurogamer, Giant Bomb, Polygon, The Guardian etc, and it's a four page thread languishing on page two falling into a Capwn hole. I don't think I've ever played a more Rllmukky game in my life.

32 minutes ago, Moz said:

Absolutely baffles me that this is game of the year at Eurogamer, Giant Bomb, Polygon, The Guardian etc, and it's a four page thread languishing on page two falling into a Capwn hole. I don't think I've ever played a more Rllmukky game in my life.

I clicked on this thread, read this post and thought "yeah, everyone loves a bit of Fallout," thought "yeah, rllmuk love this kinda shit" and then went back to Discussion before figuring out I was thinking of a completely different game.