Ghostbusters -Afterlife

papalazarou

I'm sure everyone has seen it, but the episode of The Movies That Made Us about the original is great fun. The effects are so ramshackle and one-take due to time constraints that it seemed like whatever they shot just went into the film. Things like the filing cards being blown out of the draw would almost certainly be post production now and I could never work out how they did it. Think it was just a bloke with a leaf blower.

I was a little ‘meh’ about this at first, but after a second watch I’m feeling a lot better about it. It looked like it gave the whole film away, but most of the footage is clearly from the first act.

One issue is that it doesn’t look like a Ghostbusters film, it looks like a modern, flashy, JJ Abrams-style version, and I don’t believe the Egon from the original films ever existed in this world, never mind leaving puzzles for his grandchildren to solve (what?). But I missed the reveal of Ray the first time for some reason, and seeing that went some way to planting it in the GBCU™.

The nostalgia level is high, but then it’s only nostalgia because it’s been so long since GB2. If this exact film came out 5 years after the last one nobody would think any of it. Using props and characters from the original film is what you expect in a sequel, and it wouldn’t be a GB film without it. Totally fine with that, and it’s nowhere near as bad as shoehorning Dana Barrett’s involvement into the sequel.

Looking forward to Paul Rudd sharing a clip on Conan.

27 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I was a little ‘meh’ about this at first, but after a second watch I’m feeling a lot better about it. It looked like it gave the whole film away, but most of the footage is clearly from the first act.

One issue is that it doesn’t look like a Ghostbusters film, it looks like a modern, flashy, JJ Abrams-style version, and I don’t believe the Egon from the original films ever existed in this world, never mind leaving puzzles for his grandchildren to solve (what?). But I missed the reveal of Ray the first time for some reason, and seeing that went some way to planting it in the GBCU™.

The nostalgia level is high, but then it’s only nostalgia because it’s been so long since GB2. If this exact film came out 5 years after the last one nobody would think any of it. Using props and characters from the original film is what you expect in a sequel, and it wouldn’t be a GB film without it. Totally fine with that, and it’s nowhere near as bad as shoehorning Dana Barrett’s involvement into the sequel.

Looking forward to Paul Rudd sharing a clip on Conan.

Watch the trailer breakdown that was posted earlier. It looks surprisingly close to the original in how they’ve approached the effects. Maybe you’re being thrown by them moving it out of New York, but that’s answered in the breakdown.

And it is 5 years since the last Ghostbusters film, but I can’t blame you if you’ve wiped that from your memory.

I hope this is good, but the trailer didn't do much for me. The tone seemed off, and the reverence it seemed to place on the original movies clashed in my mind with how irreverent they were to themselves. It was just a teaser though, so we'll see if the same holds true for the movie.

Well based upon the latest trailer I'm all in.... This looks great so far. Really like how they have tried to capture the spirit of the originals. 

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

I hope this is good, but the trailer didn't do much for me. The tone seemed off, and the reverence it seemed to place on the original movies clashed in my mind with how irreverent they were to themselves. It was just a teaser though, so we'll see if the same holds true for the movie.

Have you not met the true man child fans of the original. Who went. "Oh no the women" the last time a new Ghostbusters movie came out? 

Fuck that noise.  Even if it was an average movie you don't fucking hate it just because women.  They love that original movie more than anyone else and no  one is gonna change that. 

Wonder how they are reacting to a young female lead in this one. I hope they are choking on their own bile tbh. 

I will give it a watch. Nothing about the trailer excited me though. It will be another blockbuster film i will watch and instantly forget about. If its a solid 3/5 i will be happy

Come to think of it, I cant remember the last blockbuster that had some substance that i gave some thought weeks or years after release. Mad Max Fury Road or Inception maybe?

8 minutes ago, Ry said:

I will give it a watch. Nothing about the trailer excited me though. It will be another blockbuster film i will watch and instantly forget about. If its a solid 3/5 i will be happy

Come to think of it, I cant remember the last blockbuster that had some substance that i gave some thought weeks or years after release. Mad Max Fury Road or Inception maybe?

Watching blockbusters is like eating junk food. Perfectly fine every once in a whole, bit you need actual nourishment.

34 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Watching blockbusters is like eating junk food. Perfectly fine every once in a whole, bit you need actual nourishment.

That's what I'm saying. We used to get good blockbusters. 

4 hours ago, Festoon said:

It's Gozer again, isn't it?

My theory is that the ghost containment unit from the first film ended up in this small town with Egon (buried underground) and something has happened that has caused ghosts to leak out. And Gozer will be one of them. 

2 minutes ago, Gambit said:

My theory is that the ghost containment unit from the first film ended up in this small town with Egon (buried underground) and something has happened that has caused ghosts to leak out. And Gozer will be one of them. 

This sounds likely.

They didn’t ‘catch’ Gozer though, did they?

Spoiler

They crossed the streams 😶

32 minutes ago, Paulando said:

This sounds likely.

They didn’t ‘catch’ Gozer though, did they?

Hide contents

They crossed the streams 😶

I'm sure they don't care about silly little plot holes like that. :)

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

Yeah, I think this looks alright and I particularly like the throwback aesthetic of the effects, but I’m kinda baffled by comments about how ‘true to the tone of the originals’ it is. The thing that struck me the last time I watched the original Ghostbusters was how much time it spends treating its own premise like it’s total bullshit. Venkman is a straight up con artist who doesn’t believe any of it, until it’s impossible to ignore.

8 hours ago, Gambit said:

The containment unit from the first film basically blew up and released all the ghosts. I don't think Egon took the containment unit to the small town, I think Egon went to the small town because he knew something was already there. 

7 hours ago, Professor Puzzles said:

The containment unit from the first film basically blew up and released all the ghosts. I don't think Egon took the containment unit to the small town, I think Egon went to the small town because he knew something was already there. 

OK, here’s a thing, the release of all the ghosts in the first film (and those weird purple laser things) was like a catalyst for Gozer appearing at the top of that building. I guess the same will happen here?

It wouldn’t need to be the containment unit from the first film either, as they had one in GB2 and presumably after that too. Although it does seem odd to bury it near to the house he’s leaving to his grandchildren. Interesting idea though.

My one criticism of the trailer is that it didn’t make the movie look any fun. Ghostbusters is fun. From the first trailer to the finished film, it was daft and silly and fun. This looks too melodramatic and serious from what they’ve shown so far, mini stay-pufts notwithstanding. 

15 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

My one criticism of the trailer is that it didn’t make the movie look any fun. Ghostbusters is fun. From the first trailer to the finished film, it was daft and silly and fun. This looks too melodramatic and serious from what they’ve shown so far, mini stay-pufts notwithstanding. 

Have you even seen the first movie recently? There's loads of serious, scary and melodramatic moments in it, you make it sound like a laugh a minute comedy. It wasn't Caddy Shack. How can you serioulsy not be excited to see it after those closing seconds of the trailer??

20 hours ago, Gambit said:

Gozer wasn't in the containment unit.

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Have you even seen the first movie recently? There's loads of serious, scary and melodramatic moments in it you make it sound like a laugh a minute comedy. It's wasn't  Caddy Shack. How can you serioulsy not be excited to see it after those closing seconds of the trailer??

I have. It's absolutely dripping with dry humour throughout. The entire film revels in the absolute absurdity of the premise.

3 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Have you even seen the first movie recently? There's loads of serious, scary and melodramatic moments in it you make it sound like a laugh a minute comedy. It's wasn't  Caddy Shack. How can you serioulsy not be excited to see it after those closing seconds of the trailer??

It wasn't Caddy Shack, but it was hardly Schindler's List either. It was witty, irreverent, full of dry humour and absolutely a comedy. This trailer showed none of that.

Not that it has to share the tone of the originals of course, but that trailer plays on nostalgia so much with the reveals of the old movies' tools and even the style of effects that it feels a bit off without it.