IGNORED

Ghostbusters -Afterlife

papalazarou

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Is that typical London cinema pricing, or was there a hefty "Imax tax" on the tickets? :unsure:

No, it's more expensive, but my experience is that it means people go to enjoy the film, rather than Facebook, a nandos and a loud chat with their mates. 

I'd happily go to my local cinema and pay less, but that sort of stuff ruins it for me, so I don't anymore.

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

'Member the Terror Dogs?

Yep, but them, Slimer and Stay-Puft are the three iconic supernatural elements from the original so you’d expect them to be there. 

As long as there are new elements to go with them, then what’s the problem?

37 minutes ago, Zio said:

I get it, but what is the right amount of Ghostbusters stuff to have in your Ghostbusters movie?

None. As far as I’m concerned the original was one of those lightening in a bottle type things and quite honestly it shpu;d have been left alone. It’s a practically perfect film, but never needed any more films. 

22 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

Yep, but them, Slimer and Stay-Puft are the three iconic supernatural elements from the original so you’d expect them to be there. 

As long as there are new elements to go with them, then what’s the problem?

I don't expect them to be there at all. Diminishing marginal returns. Have some new ideas or don't bother, I reckon. 

It's a poor signifier of intent to feature so much stuff from the original.

35 minutes ago, JoeK said:

None. As far as I’m concerned the original was one of those lightening in a bottle type things and quite honestly it shpu;d have been left alone. It’s a practically perfect film, but never needed any more films. 

I agree it’s a practically perfect film, but the existence of a sequel and a remake has never diminished that for me.

Personally, I’m ludicrously excited about seeing this film. I’m a total Ghostbusters fanboy though and am currently trying not to shove £300 or so on backing the replica Proton Pack Hasbro Pulse are threatening to make.

Edit: And another thing… this kind of attitude does piss me off a bit. Like The Blues Brothers is another favourite of mine, whereas it’s sequel is fucking terrible. It’s existence however does not stop me from liking the original. I just ignore the fact there’s another one.

46 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

I find that an odd stance myself. Why would you expect them to get there? Obviously stuff like fundamentals like the extended cast and their equipment you'd expect to make a return, while you'd get the odd nod and wink and previous entries but modern films constantly nostalgia pandering and going 'Remember that!' is a relatively new thing at the sheer scale we have it now. You Only Live Twice is unwatchable because they didn’t bring back Oddjob, no wait. Ghostbusters 2 is fairly lazy retread of the plot beats of the first film but at least it built up its own iconography with the exception of the Slimer cameo which felt desperate and forced even at the time.

12 minutes ago, Zio said:

I agree it’s a practically perfect film, but the existence of a sequel and a remake has never diminished that for me.

Personally, I’m ludicrously excited about seeing this film. I’m a total Ghostbusters fanboy though and am currently trying not to shove £300 or so on backing the replica Proton Pack Hasbro Pulse are threatening to make.

Edit: And another thing… this kind of attitude does piss me off a bit. Like The Blues Brothers is another favourite of mine, whereas it’s sequel is fucking terrible. It’s existence however does not stop me from liking the original. I just ignore the fact there’s another one.

Oh, I've no issues with bad sequels affecting my fondness of originals. I just tend to see an awful lot of sequels as terrible cash-grabs from companies who think they can strike it lucky again and again when the majority of time that sort of thing just really doesn't happen.

Obvious examples to the contrary like Empire Strikes Back aside of course ;)

6 hours ago, Swainy said:

The final trailer:

That is pretty spoilery  , don't watch if you want to go in with some mystery left.

Not a dig at you @Swainy btw, I don't know what kind of logic is applied by studios putting these trailers together.

6 hours ago, lolly said:

That is pretty spoilery  , don't watch if you want to go in with some mystery left.

Not a dig at you @Swainy btw, I don't know what kind of logic is applied by studios putting these trailers together.

I probably should have said that there is a fairly big spoiler at the end. Sorry everyone!

I’m curious about what the wider reaction to this will be next week. Thoroughly enjoyed it but do think it will be quite polarising.

Think it’s box office will be decent, although probably extremely front-loaded.

Saw this last night with my daughter - she's not really a huge fan of the originals, but absolutely loved this and came out talking about how much she hopes they make more (the final post credit scene absolutely gives them the setup for that even though it's a total nonsense).

From my perspective, it's OK - solid but unspectactular. A little slow-paced in the middle act (I reckon they could easily trim a good chunk more off this even though some of the plot strands seem to have been cast aside already), and oddly devoid of many actual ghosts. There are some very dumb moments and setups, but also an incredibly touching tribute near the end.

It's not awesome, but if you liked the 'actual' films there are enough nice nods here to keep you happy. 7 roosters out of a litre.