IGNORED

Ghostbusters -Afterlife

papalazarou

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

So have I got any other converts for my "this nostalgia pandering is getting a bit much" stance?

Because this seems like the worst example yet.

Thing is you can't really go that far (tempting tho it is) given who we're talking about - as the article says, he's cut his teeth as an indie movie maker, and made a couple of really fantastic movies, now he says he's ready for a big studio movie, and there's a family connection, I'm not excited about Ghostbusters as such, but I am excited to see what this particular movie maker can do with it

5 hours ago, Stigweard said:

What if you didn't care about the woman being leads but just thought it was a shit film? Are we allowed to do that?

Of course, but some people (men) were disgusted by the idea of it when it was first announced that it was going to have a female-led cast, and that was before any names other than Paul Freig's were attached to it. It could have been the best film committed to celluloid (or digital storage, I suppose) but they'd already decided they were going to hate it. 

1 minute ago, robotattack said:

Of course, but some people (men) were disgusted by the idea of it when it was first announced that it was going to have a female-led cast, and that was before any names other than Paul Freig's were attached to it. It could have been the best film committed to celluloid (or digital storage, I suppose) but they'd already decided they were going to hate it. 

I know that. I just don't want to be lumped in with those cunts for not liking the film.

7 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I know that. I just don't want to be lumped in with those cunts for not liking the film.

Well, I wasn't trying to insinuate that someone who hated it for the idea of it was the same as someone that had watched it and didn't like it.

39 minutes ago, robotattack said:

Well, I wasn't trying to insinuate that someone who hated it for the idea of it was the same as someone that had watched it and didn't like it.

Say, does anyone know if smitty is doing ok?

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

So have I got any other converts for my "this nostalgia pandering is getting a bit much" stance?

Because this seems like the worst example yet.

At the risk of derailing the thread- Neill Blomkamp's direct Aliens sequel was much worse for this.

4 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

The non-canon alternate universe Ghostbusters movie. See also Highlander 2 and the Peter Cushing Dr Who movies.

OT but I read the novelisation of Day of the Doctor recently and at one point the doctors find a poster for Dalek Invasion of Earth and talk about how they worked with Peter Cushing on the movies, which I thought was cute. 

Great to hear that music in the trailer. 

In other news - they are looking to cast four teenagers - 2 boys and 2 girls. I hope this won't become an extended cameo for the original team, followed by 90 minutes of teenagers making jokes about being slimed.

2 hours ago, Goose said:

In other news - they are looking to cast four teenagers - 2 boys and 2 girls. I hope this won't become an extended cameo for the original team, followed by 90 minutes of teenagers making jokes about being slimed.

Sony executives “But we did more focus testing this time! Are you not entertained!”

2 hours ago, Goose said:

So it's essentially Extreme Ghostbusters then?

EXTREME

5 hours ago, Goose said:

Hmm. Not sure how the humour in reducing something as outlandish as trapping ghosts to a blue collar exterminator's job in New York would translate to a group of teenagers doing the same thing. After all, part of the fun is watching a team of discredited losers that have fallen into the job fighting against embarrassment, dwindling finances and a complete lack of credibility... but New York has changed, and I'm not entirely sure that this particular strain of humour would work as well now anyway. (Unless it ends up with Ray remortgaging a house again and only being able to afford a new HQ out in New Jersey now.)

It'd feel a bit weird if being a Ghostbuster was portrayed as something other than an occasionally humiliating means to make ends meet- not something a group of teenagers would necessarily be aspiring towards, so I'm already wondering what's going to draw them to the job at such a young age. (Assuming said teenagers are actually going to be the new team...)

I’m finding it impossible to muster up any enthusiasm for this, but I must admit I’m encouraged by seemingly deliberately throw-back FX in that trailer. I find it incredibly distracting when sequels use a completely different aesthetic and style of cinematography, admittedly Fury Road managed it but it was one of Crystal Skull’s worst mistakes.

8 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I’m finding it impossible to muster up any enthusiasm for this, but I must admit I’m encouraged by seemingly deliberately throw-back FX in that trailer. I find it incredibly distracting when sequels use a completely different aesthetic and style of cinematography, admittedly Fury Road managed it but it was one of Crystal Skull’s worst mistakes.

Prometheus? Star Wars prequels?

blade runner 2049 nailed it - even the Pan Am advert, a company gone since Lockerbie 

9 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'm sure a comedy film where all the cast hate each other and are just phoning it in for the money will be an absolute laugh riot.

Ah, have you seen the plot for it then?

Let's at least wait until we know what's going on with it before ripping it to shreds. 

9 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

It'd feel a bit weird if being a Ghostbuster was portrayed as something other than an occasionally humiliating means to make ends meet- not something a group of teenagers would necessarily be aspiring towards, so I'm already wondering what's going to draw them to the job at such a young age. (Assuming said teenagers are actually going to be the new team...)

maybe it's a punishment for juvenile deliquents, like, community service?

Holes, but with ghosts?

Edited by SeanR