IGNORED

Ghostbusters -Afterlife

papalazarou

Just got back from this. Not bad in the end but definitely felt like there were a lot of missed opportunities and it needed to be better edited. The set up takes far too long to get going and when it finally  does it's a shame the film rushed to the end and retreads a lot of old ground. The finale was well done with some cool VFX shots of the splitting ghosts. In fact I'd say the CGI was the best part, it looked like a natural evolution of the original effects without going to over the top for the sake of it. 

Definitely better than Matrix , worse than Cobra Kai as far as recent nostalgia reboots go.

Things that bothered me :

Spoiler

It's established they are in nowheresville, USA, so why does it have a gigantic Walmart?

How did the kids know exactly how to work the car gadgets, the ghost tools etc first time? Missed opportunity of a fun montage of them learning how to use the tools in the hidden lab for a later payoff -

It would've made the first scene in the car where they operate the hidden switches and the mobile trap like seasoned pros make more sense.

Once the ghosts were released why no shots of them causing chaos over town? Even Ghostbusters 2 made good use of this, the Titanic scene is brilliant. Here someone gets some coffee and that's about it. Felt like what could have been a fun part was rushed. 

Money I imagine. Despite having a relativity low box office, it's in profit as it was made on the cheap in comparison to Answer the Call. 

The budget was thrown at the end scenes and the delayed release allowed them to polish what they had up very well. It's not had a big push in marketing I feel, saving further costs. Word of mouth has helped it a lot. 

It will never be a billion dollar franchise but if it continues, mid budgets will help.

It's gonna be Vigo for sure out of pure laziness I imagine if we get another film but I'd love to see a haunted house film. Something really small and down to earth, introduce a new team in training and build from there. Doesn't have to be a world ending event.

Takes a while to get going then ends in a rush, I felt, but overall I enjoyed it. I don’t feel the need to ever watch it again, unlike the first (and to a lesser extent the second) which I could watch endlessly. It was fun, it was sweet, most of the characters were decent. It wasn’t essential. 

I enjoyed it, but it was middle of the road. Not blow my socks off enjoyable, and a bit heavy on the old memberberries. As cute as the mini Stay Pufts were, they could have been safely omitted from the film. The ending was rushed as well, with too much set up at the beginning.

Also…

Spoiler

When Carrie Coon goes to hug ghost dad, I thought she was going to fall straight through him and land flat on her face.

The only thing I thought this morning was how they basically omitted

Spoiler

the events from Ghostbusters 2. I mean, the New York Gozer thing was a big deal but no one seemed to mention the whole Statue of Liberty coming to life bit, which you’d think would stick in the memory a bit more.

3 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

… As cute as the mini Stay Pufts were, they could have been safely omitted from the film.

That was the best scene. 

Also, Carrie Coone was really unlikable from start to finish.

I don't get why people don't think the Stay Pufts didn't make sense. They're obviously an in-universe brand and Ray thought of them when Gozer asked who they'd like to destroy them. In the new one, Gozer is back and breaking free from the mine, so wouldn't it follow that she'd bring back the Stay Puft man, as it's something she'd remember from her first attack and want to use again? It just turns out that her powers went into the little dudes, rather than creating a big one.

Saw this over the weekend. I went in with low expectations and generally it exceeded them. Main issues from my perspective were:

1. rinsed and repeated too much of the GB1's plot;
  2. some characters lacked 'oomph'. Like the Mom is meant to be the new Dana Barret but just doesn't have the presence Sigourney does;
  3. CGI mini Stay Puff marshmallow men. Irreverent to the plot entirely;
  4. just lacked the real world credibility of GB1;
  5. the GB1 team cameo at the end. Just not sure how I felt about them all having one last hurray in the jumpsuits.

Good points:

some nice fan service (although I usually hate that);

McKenna Grace carried the film well, hope to see more from her.

19 minutes ago, AstroBot said:

Because that was so successful last time? They wanted Stay Puft in it and made it happen.

What do you mean by last time?

Anyway, of course they wanted Stay Puft back in, but I think they made it work. I'm not discussing whether it's nostalgia bait or not, just saying the way they brought them back makes sense in the context of the film.

4 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I enjoyed it, but it was middle of the road. Not blow my socks off enjoyable, and a bit heavy on the old memberberries. As cute as the mini Stay Pufts were, they could have been safely omitted from the film. The ending was rushed as well, with too much set up at the beginning.

Also…

Hide contents

When Carrie Coon goes to hug ghost dad, I thought she was going to fall straight through him and land flat on her face.

RE Spoiler

Spoiler

When they activated the Mega Trap at the end, why didn't Egon's ghost get sucked in as well? I thought that's what would happen and it would be a bittersweet reunion but they had to go on with the hug yer kids and yer best mates ending instead

4 hours ago, AstroBot said:
  Hide contents

The shit special effect dancing toaster was in Egons House apparently so that’s something I suppose.

I saw an interview with Jason Reitman where he said as far as he's concerned, GB2 is canon.

Also:

Spoiler

Ray is still working in his Occult Book Shop from GB2 and Paul Rudd's character says "No-one's seen a ghost in 30 years"... which would be 1991, considering Afterlife takes place in 2021. I mean... I guess that could mean Ghostbusters The Video Game is canon too. They did make up JK Simmons to look almost exactly like Ivo Shandor from the video game after all.

9 hours ago, Strafe said:

The only thing I thought this morning was how they basically omitted

Hide contents

the events from Ghostbusters 2. I mean, the New York Gozer thing was a big deal but no one seemed to mention the whole Statue of Liberty coming to life bit, which you’d think would stick in the memory a bit more.

They were remaking the first, so basically they JJ Abramsed it.

Why do people keep saying it’s the same as the first? Other than them bringing back the characters from the first film, it wasn’t the same. The plot was totally different from the first, wasn’t it?

It was totally different apart from all the bits that were mostly the same as the original. 
 It’s basically doing what the force awakens did - a new cast with all the familiar things you remember from your childhood in there. 
 It’s not a remake but certainly a tribute act. 

20 minutes ago, Mortis said:

It was totally different apart from all the bits that were mostly the same as the original. 
 It’s basically doing what the force awakens did - a new cast with all the familiar things you remember from your childhood in there. 
 It’s not a remake but certainly a tribute act. 

Yeah, I get that. All the Gozer, Stay Puft, Ecto 1, etc. stuff was there for nostalgia reasons, but the plot wasn’t anything like the original, so I’m not sure why people keep saying it is.

Finally got round to watching this last night!

It was a generally enjoyable film. I loved the look of it and it was great it had the original ghost buster movie music. However it did take a while to really get started and the whole thing felt like a nostalgia hit (stay puff, the ecto 1, that ending etc). 

It felt unevenly paced - like i said felt like it took too long to get going and the ending felt incredibly rushed. 

Honestly though, it wasn't a bad movie by any means and i'm glad they changed the story up. I have to admit the ending felt a bit cheesy but i've come round to it now.

• 2 weeks later...

This was fine! The script was a bit of a mess, especially character-wise, and there was some really jarringly bad editing in a couple of spots, but doing a Goonies-style kids adventure movie set in the Ghostbusters universe works so organically that it kind of carries it, with a few of the more important scenes landing pretty solidly.

Spoiler

Ending on a powerful visual metaphor for the way franchise cinema will continue to milk its talent even beyond the grave was certainly a choice 

Finally watched it, not impressed. Recycled far too much from the first film, to the point where the references were distracting and began to grate. Could nitpick parts of it to death but it's not worth the effort, really.

McKenna Grace was good, Carrie Coon was wasted. Finn Wolfhard was superfluous.

On 17/01/2022 at 13:46, new666uk said:

Saw this over the weekend. I went in with low expectations and generally it exceeded them. Main issues from my perspective were:

1. rinsed and repeated too much of the GB1's plot;
  2. some characters lacked 'oomph'. Like the Mom is meant to be the new Dana Barret but just doesn't have the presence Sigourney does;
  3. CGI mini Stay Puff marshmallow men. Irreverent to the plot entirely;
  4. just lacked the real world credibility of GB1;
  5. the GB1 team cameo at the end. Just not sure how I felt about them all having one last hurray in the jumpsuits.

Good points:

some nice fan service (although I usually hate that);

McKenna Grace carried the film well, hope to see more from her.

Is number 5 a spoiler?  I’d made it this far ☹️

• 2 months later...

Just watched this. We really enjoyed it. Great to see the old cast, a sweet send off for Harold, Ernie Hudson hasn’t aged a damn day, and the granddaughter absolutely carried the whole thing - inspired bit of casting.