IGNORED

Ghostbusters -Afterlife

papalazarou

10 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Yeah the film was disowned because it underperformed.

Also the characters haven’t been disowned. They’re continuing in comic form and the fanbase has generally been kinder to that writing versus the movie.

I like Leslie Jones, but she’s showing a lack of understanding of the impact of the original film versus GB16. But given the abuse she had to endure, and that she had had one of the best lines in the GB16, she gets a pass.

I liked the characters and the chemistry they had, I just felt that everything else surrounding them was just poor. I'd be happy to see a follow up with them in it personally. 

God, please no. Neither Kate McKinnon nor Leslie Jones are funny in anything they've done in my opinion. I couldn't care less the last GB movie was a team of females. The problem was that they tried to make a funny movie with unfunny actors, and it just didn't work.

The problem with Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't the acting talent involved, it was the bane of many modern comedy films - long periods of awful improv in lieu of actual scripted jokes. I'm sure Thor doing his 'I'm thick durrrrrr' riffs was side-splitting for the cast and crew, much the way someone doing an impression of Carol from HR at the office Christmas Party is hilarious in the moment. Sitting through 2 hours of it at the cinema, not so much.

Just now, Harsin said:

The problem with Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't the acting talent involved, it was the bane of many modern comedy films - long periods of awful improv in lieu of actual scripted jokes. I'm sure Thor doing his 'I'm thick durrrrrr' riffs was side-splitting for the cast and crew, much the way someone doing an impression of Carol from HR at the office Christmas Party is hilarious in the moment. Sitting through 2 hours of it at the cinema, not so much.

Hey, leave Carol, from HR, alone! That woman is a SAINT!!!

14 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Agree entirely, and regarding Thor Raganarok too. It wasn't charming, it was 60s Batman, and in time it will age about as well

Interesting to hear that improvised comedy doesn't go down too well in feature films, the cast of the latest Thor film seemed to be patting themselves on the back for re-inventing that series by going down that route.

Never seen any of the Ghostbuster sequels and I probably have never actually watched the entirety of the original film either, well certainly can't remember that much of it as it's been a while since I last caught it on TV. The teaser for this seemed to amount to not much personally. I'd assumed from the praise there was more to it.

13 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Interesting to hear that improvised comedy doesn't go down too well in feature films, the cast of the latest Thor film seemed to be patting themselves on the back for re-inventing that series by going down that route.

Never seen any of the Ghostbuster sequels and I probably have never actually watched the entirety of the original film either, well certainly can't remember that much of it as it's been a while since I last caught it on TV. The teaser for this seemed to amount to not much personally. I'd assumed from the praise there was more to it.

Nobody’s saying it can’t work, only in these instances it didn’t. A lot of people thought Thor was a triumph but that’s why we can’t have nice things.

On 16/01/2019 at 10:37, SpagMasterSwift said:

He was Garfield ffs

Bill Murray played Garfield in the film, but in the cartoon he was played by Lorenzo Music. Who also happened to be in the Ghostbusters cartoon. As Peter Venkman.

Makes you think.

On 19/01/2019 at 10:44, Salsa Party Animal said:

it depends on writers and who is acting and what roles and use of CGI and good directing. It might be better than the original we doesn't know. 

It would be a guaranteed hit if Bob Hoskins were alive to play Slimer.

20 hours ago, linkster said:

I cannot stand Will Ferrell in anything aside from the Lego movie and Austin Powers cameos 

Anyone who doesn’t like Step Brothers is most probably a liar, a drunk and a kicker of dogs, in my view.

On 21/01/2019 at 10:38, DC Lemon said:

The three surviving originals made cameos in the 2016 film as different characters. It was never part of the same timeline as the first two. There’s no retconning involved here, is there?

Exactly. 2016 was a reboot, not a sequel, so Reitman is ignoring the reboot and continuing the original timeline.

On 22/01/2019 at 07:32, grindmouse said:

Anchorman’s trajectory to becoming a cult classic was a weird one. By 2006 everyone was quoting it.

But all of the folks I knew who loved the film, dozens of them, point blank refused to watch Wake Up Ron Burgundy! and really turned on the sequel. Those three films are all weaker than the first, but the humour is the same and there are some great scenes in Wake Up! *Shrug*

Yeah but the jokes weren't as funny that's why.

On 21/01/2019 at 11:55, linkster said:

Agree entirely, and regarding Thor Raganarok too. It wasn't charming, it was 60s Batman, and in time it will age about as well

Was it actually Thor being talked about in that post, or Hemsworth's turn as the dim receptionist in Ghostbusters?

On 21/01/2019 at 15:12, linkster said:

To anyone else that thinks Kate McKinnon isn’t funny 

or Kristen Wiig

Excruciatingly unfunny, but also quite a useful example of why I knew that GB16 wasn't really aimed at people like me.