IGNORED

Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

Goose

After all the time-bending shenanigans of all Nolan’s previous films, what if this is going to be like the GIF suggests and be a ‘palindromic’ film? 

Imagine if it could be watched in either direction and still have a good story. Maybe watching the same scenes in reverse order (Memento style) the goodie is the baddie and vice versa. Maybe the beginning for one character is that character’s end if the film plays the other way round. Maybe cinemas could randomly show the opposite cut to see how the audience reacts. Maybe it starts, gets to the end and then reverses back to the beginning again (like Braid?). Maybe it could start in the middle and branch out in both directions with the audience deciding in their heads which way the story flows?

All sounds a bit bonkers I know but if anyone could pull it off it would be him. Have any other films done anything at all like that?

3 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

After all the time-bending shenanigans of all Nolan’s previous films, what if this is going to be like the GIF suggests and be a ‘palindromic’ film? 

Imagine if it could be watched in either direction and still have a good story. Maybe watching the same scenes in reverse order (Memento style) the goodie is the baddie and vice versa. Maybe the beginning for one character is that character’s end if the film plays the other way round. Maybe cinemas could randomly show the opposite cut to see how the audience reacts. Maybe it starts, gets to the end and then reverses back to the beginning again (like Braid?). Maybe it could start in the middle and branch out in both directions with the audience deciding in their heads which way the story flows?

All sounds a bit bonkers I know but if anyone could pull it off it would be him. Have any other films done anything at all like that?

I hope it isn't. I fear it is now.

8 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

This is not as ambitious as your suggestion, but your post reminded me of the "Ring Theory" about the Star Wars prequels, and this guy's idea about Robocop (and other films) being a cinematic chiasmus:

https://dejareviewer.com/2014/04/29/cinematic-chiasmus-robocop-is-almost-perfectly-symmetrical-film/

11 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

You have to squint slightly but Star Trek: Beyond basically did all that sort of thing, the film playing out in reverse thematically once they flip the crashed saucer.

I know I should have about a dozen examples to hand but all I can think is that Halo did it in videogame form.

Oh boy now I'm fantasising about Nolan directing a movie version of Use of Weapons. That's not gonna happen.

6 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Oh boy now I'm fantasising about Nolan directing a movie version of Use of Weapons. That's not gonna happen.

That’s a really good example of the kind of thing that was going through my head.

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I’m somehow always disappointed in Nolan even though i’m not a fan. His whole thing seems to be promising something epic without delivering. 

He needs to accept that he's never going to equal Kubrick and he should stop trying. It's embarrassing to watch at this point.

He should go back to making interesting indie films.

Edit: Adding an edit in here to make it clear this is a tongue in cheek comment akin to saying Heston Blumenthal should give up and open kebab van in a lay-by off the B472.

8 minutes ago, hub2 said:

I thought it looked a little like a prestige show on HBO or streaming service.

I wonder how much control he had over that trailer? Every line of dialogue is trailer dialogue from 20 years ago. It's pretty cringe overall. Audiences are too smart now for these zingers

"What happened?" 

"It hasn't happened yet!"

Thats supposed to be a zinger but we're already about 30 seconds ahead. 

You watch, it'll be an absolute masterpiece now. 

Do youse think it'll be unnecessarily convoluted and have some plot ambiguity as to what exactly has transpired? Will critics be falling all over themselves declaring it to be "very clever" and that people who point out the convolutedness and ambiguity "just didn't get it". 

13 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

Do youse think it'll be unnecessarily convoluted and have some plot ambiguity as to what exactly has transpired? Will critics be falling all over themselves declaring it to be "very clever" and that people who point out the convolutedness and ambiguity "just didn't get it". 

I was drunk when I took my seat in the Imax screening of Interstellar. I remember watching the scene with the dust and the book case and the girl who tells her daddy she's seen a ghost

I remember looking to the woman next to me and going "gee, I wonder if that ghost is her father trying to contact her from some parallel dimension"

We then sat for a few more hours. And at the end, the woman next to me looked at me and went "yeah, thanks!"

8 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Can't wait. Love his films and he is unarguably one of the best film makers on the planet.

Same here.

I fucking love Rllmuk. A great looking trailer, followed by post after post saying 'looks shit, he's no Kubrick, ZINGER!?1' :lol:

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I was drunk when I took my seat in the Imax screening of Interstellar. I remember watching the scene with the dust and the book case and the girl who tells her daddy she's seen a ghost

I remember looking to the woman next to me and going "gee, I wonder if that ghost is her father trying to contact her from some parallel dimension"

We then sat for a fee more hours. And at the end, the woman next to me looked at me and went "yeah, thanks!"

Staggering lack of self-awareness that’ll be explained away as being some kind of nolan-esque, time repeating itself meta-joke.

2 hours ago, Wools said:

Same here.

I fucking love Rllmuk. A great looking trailer, followed by post after post saying 'looks shit, he's no Kubrick, ZINGER!?1' :lol:

If it makes you feel better, I wasn't being serious in my recommendation that Nolan should stick to making indie film :lol:

9 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

We then sat for a fee more hours. And at the end, the woman next to me looked at me and went "yeah, thanks!"

Do you often talk to random people sitting next to you in the cinema, or only when drunk?

10 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

What a knob.