IGNORED

Christopher Nolan's Tenet - Espionage Movie

Goose

Tenet is the big experiment, isn't it? So little is coming out this summer that it should have a very long tail indeed, and then if lockdown measures ease further, the marketing machine can be cranked up again. So even if it makes slightly less than Nolan's other films, it will hopefully still end up doing well, and then there's the VOD market later which should be more lucrative if fewer people have seen it on the big screen. The alternative is to just sit on the film along with the others, and that will inevitably lead to some box office disasters in a too crowded market. And that's STILL reliant on moviegoing habits returning to normal.

I'm far from convinced that I'll want to go to the cinema in July, but Tenet is the only film that will make me consider it.

40 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Tenet is the big experiment, isn't it? So little is coming out this summer that it should have a very long tail indeed, and then if lockdown measures ease further, the marketing machine can be cranked up again. So even if it makes slightly less than Nolan's other films, it will hopefully still end up doing well, and then there's the VOD market later which should be more lucrative if fewer people have seen it on the big screen. The alternative is to just sit on the film along with the others, and that will inevitably lead to some box office disasters in a too crowded market. And that's STILL reliant on moviegoing habits returning to normal.

I'm far from convinced that I'll want to go to the cinema in July, but Tenet is the only film that will make me consider it.

Its a big deal here, but it means NOTHING outside of internet bubbles.

Say to anyone "the new Christoper Nolan film is coming " and watch their eyes glaze over. 

Its not the event you think it is. At all. 

Tenet is going to fail HARD. 

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Its a big deal here, but it means NOTHING outside of internet bubbles.

Say to anyone "the new Christoper Nolan film is coming " and watch their eyes glaze over. 

Its not the event you think it is. At all. 

Tenet is going to fail HARD. 

Bingo. In ordinary times, they have that cachet with film geeks that makes word of mouth that makes them seem like a movie people feel like they've got to show up for. Like, if you're going to go to the movies that month, that's what you're going to go and see because it's a big deal.

But these aren't ordinary times. Even I'm not going to risk the cinema to see this, and I love Nolan's movies and I love watching them on as large a screen as possible. And there's going to be none of that word of mouth, and nobody's casually going to the pictures. If they've really committed to such a risky release date to test the waters and they're not planning, like, a second wave of screenings when things are good, I could see Nolan losing his patience with Warner.

Also New Zealand is completely free of coronavirus to the point they're out of lockdown with non of the distancing measures necessary and cinema screenings are still 1/4 of what they were.

I don't think things are going back to normal, after the last few months people don't really want to sit inside quietly watching something on a screen.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I don't think things are going back to normal, after the last few months people don't really want to sit inside quietly watching something on a screen.

I really hope I'll be able to see Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984, Black Widow, and Bill & Ted Face the Music on the big screen.

But I know that even if there are only about five other people in the screening (which many of my cinema viewings already have, as I try to go to weekday daytime screenings), all of whom are wearing masks - I'll still be too uncomfortable to really enjoy the movie, and will be worrying for days afterwards.

Especially given that Chinese study from a few months ago, on how air conditioning spread the virus around one restaurant.

I've never been less hyped about a Nolan release. It looks unusually hokey for his usual standards and I'm a little tired of his fascination with time gimmicks 

And you'd have to be mad to go anywhere near a cinema for the foreseeable future.

Always thought having Tenet as the first major film back in cinemas was a bit risky. By all accounts it sounds like even the cast had trouble following the plot so I can't imagine what it would be like in a screening when all it would take is someone to clear their throat, everyone's arse falls out in panic and before they know it they've all lost track and are wondering why Robert Pattinson is walking backwards talking to a time-travelling flying mermaid. 

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

US virus numbers and the whole buzz about the movie being that nobody's going to watch it.

That's a good point about the virus numbers - no way is cinema restarting properly over there while so many states are on the uptick with COVID-19.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2020 at 22:08, Popo said:

Pushed back to August now. 

My finger-in-the-air assessment is that anything before September is wishful thinking. 

l’m struggling to see cinemas reopening in the states. They’ve now got loads of states on an upwards curve as we and New York were in March and apparently no intention of locking down.

Back to Tenet, it wouldn’t surprise me if they do something different to justify a ticket price hike. You know like when buying a concert ticket and it includes an exclusive band tour lanyard which adds another £20 to the price (but costs pennies to actually make). 

“Experience Tenet how visionary director Christopher Nolan wanted to you, exclusively in cinemas for two weeks only and get an exclusive Bane styled face mask. (Ticket price £24.99)”

Twist ending - it'll turn out that Tenet has always been out, as Christopher Nolan's dumb obsession with time in films leads to him having actually made a time machine and incepting Tenet into action movie history.

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

Just put it on iTunes already! I’ll pay £30 to watch it now, then you can still put it in the cinemas when/if they ever open again. 

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Lol. So dumb.

The films budget is in the region of $225m and if this hits the Internet it won't make anywhere near that amount of money and it would be up on pirate sites within hours.

Best to just wait till cinemas are back to normal and if it doesn't make the money they hoped for, release it on streaming early.

10 hours ago, Stigweard said:

The films budget is in the region of $225m and if this hits the Internet it won't make anywhere near that amount of money and it would be up on pirate sites within hours.

Best to just wait till cinemas are back to normal and if it doesn't make the money they hoped for, release it on streaming early.

Sadly I know all of this and we’ve had this discussion multiple times now in this thread. I just want it now! I can’t see any way I’ll be going in a cinema any time soon.