rllmuk
JohnC

The Boys - Amazon superhero show

On 07/10/2019 at 23:24, Death's Head said:

Yeah, there's definitely a bit of Zenith to it and, as I mentioned upthread, a touch of Marvelman as well.

And Robocop what with the rich vein of satire and ultra violence. 

• Upvote 1

Patton Oswalt cast in S2, in a secret role. Fans are speculating someone called The Legend, a former comicbook writer with an encyclopedic knowledge of superheroes.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Patton Oswalt cast in S2

Meh. My view.of him is probably coloured  by all the mediocre syfy stuff he's been in.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Patton Oswalt cast in S2, in a secret role. Fans are speculating someone called The Legend, a former comicbook writer with an encyclopedic knowledge of superheroes.

First thing that came to my mind on hearing about the casting earlier. 

On 18/10/2019 at 19:00, monkeydog said:

Meh. My view.of him is probably coloured  by all the mediocre syfy stuff he's been in.

"You're mediocre."

\

happy-patton-oswalt-02-420x600.jpg

• Upvote 1

What was it? The release date? Its gone now.

No spoilers please.

Just watched this on my free 1 month of Amazon prime. Easily one of the best programmes of this year and benefitted from the slim 8 episodes format. 

I didn't have a problem with any acting/characters and despite the OTT accent, Butcher was brilliant. Between him and Homelander that was two of the best characters on TV this year. 

After the dissapointment that was Brightburn at the cinema, this shows how to do the superhero gone bad thing properly and is the perfect antidote to my Marvel fatigue. 

I've done the free month with Amazon and burned through the Expanse and this- have  read the 1st 3 graphic novels  I think.

It's very  good but stops short of being brilliant for me , some of the characters feel a touch flat, with the exception of Anthony Starr, he's excellent as Homelander.

2 hours ago, lolly said:

I've done the free month with Amazon and burned through the Expanse and this- have  read the 1st 3 graphic novels  I think.

It's very  good but stops short of being brilliant for me , some of the characters feel a touch flat, with the exception of Anthony Starr, he's excellent as Homelander.

Translucent was an interesting character until someone did something hilariously gruesome to him. 

Black Noir might get a bit more focus in series 2 but I think they'll just

Spoiler

have him do nothing again. A super-hero villain who simply does nothing.

Homelander's the best though. He gets all the good scenes.

What do you think of Butcher?

40 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Translucent was an interesting character until someone did something hilariously gruesome to him. 

Black Noir might get a bit more focus in series 2 but I think they'll just

Reveal hidden contents

have him do nothing again. A super-hero villain who simply does nothing.

Homelander's the best though. He gets all the good scenes.

What do you think of Butcher?

I generally like Urban  and think he's got the character of Butcher down pretty well, maybe a bit less of a likeable prick  than in the graphic novel ,but think  his attempt at a Geordie accent is distracting on occasion, if they had just let him do an "Atlantic" accent or left him with his native Kiwi accent (I thought he was an Ozzie) it wouldn't have detracted from the series, they've made other changes from the graphic novel (it's been about 5 years since i read them so may be wrong)that aren't impacting the story while keeping the overall tone.

Though if he had to say "Fash and Chaps"  when ordering his dinner people might be confused.

1 hour ago, lolly said:

his attempt at a Geordie accent is distracting on occasion,

It must be, considering he's supposed to be doing a cockney one ;) 

• Upvote 2

The accent is his own superpower, and his delivery of it at least explains why he’s called the Butcher.

• Upvote 9

Can't fathom complaints about the accent, it's the funniest part of the whole show. It's like when Pierce Brosnan tried to sing in Mama Mia. Turns every scene with Butcher into a comic delight.

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Scruff said:

It must be, considering he's supposed to be doing a cockney one ;) 

Ha, I thought that about an hour after I wrote the post , couldn't remember  the GN correctly.Now I'm wondering where I got Geordie from.

It's up there with Robert Downey Jnr's Aussie accent in Natural Born Killers.

I didn’t realise he was supposed to be doing a British accent until a character said something like “it was a French guy and a British guy” 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

It's up there with Robert Downey Jnr's Aussie accent in Natural Born Killers.

Al Pacino's impression of a League of Gentleman character is uncanny:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Al Pacino's impression of a League of Gentleman character is uncanny:

That's beautiful.

I’ve just seen that one of the graphic novels is free on Prime Reading right now (The name of the game) 

So is Batman: Year One