IGNORED

The Boys - Amazon superhero show

JohnC

Very plausible theory on the nature of Soldier boy’s powers. I wish I hadn’t read it, but for gluttons…

Spoiler

His Havoc ability wasn’t enough to kill Kimiko if it were just a thermo-concussive blast. They made a point this episode to show a direct gunshot to the head is nothing to her.

Soldier boys ability also takes away powers.

I thought it was because 

Spoiler

Hughie had stolen her healing power without realising it. You see his broken arm healing up while she's bleeding out in the van. But he's too busy being almost high on his powers to put two and two together. 

To be honest I'm not sure where you go into a fourth season of this without

Spoiler

Contriving some sort of way to reset the status quo in an unsatisfying way. The Boys either succeed or fail at taking out Homelander, and in either scenario the story doesn't have anywhere much to go after that. If they fail as I'm expecting then Homelander is already heading for brutal dictator territory, so it feels more like an apocalyptic scenario if he carries on his current trajectory and I don't know how the characters would realistically survive in a way that makes sense. And considering how freely he just kills people now I'm unsure why he wants to keep Giancarlo Esposito around still, insulting him all day (don't get me wrong, always in for more Giancarlo)

Oh here's a thought about Hughie

Spoiler

If it turns out his "latent" power that he gets when day tripping on V is one that lets him completely absorb another supe's powers then, hey presto! They have their weapon against Homelander and they don't even realise it. I do hope the characters do realise it, because shows like this always suffer if the characters have the opportunity to make the same obvious conclusions as the audience but then don't for some reason until the last minute.

I also think it's funny that the powers Butcher gets are of the supe he most despises.

1 hour ago, makkuwata said:

Very plausible theory on the nature of Soldier boy’s powers. I wish I hadn’t read it, but for gluttons…

Hide contents

His Havoc ability wasn’t enough to kill Kimiko if it were just a thermo-concussive blast. They made a point this episode to show a direct gunshot to the head is nothing to her.

Soldier boys ability also takes away powers.

Maybe that’s so obvious that I haven’t seen anyone talk about it, but I’m guessing I’ll see discussion of it everywhere online before the next episode hits.

I like this theory.

Spoiler

And I think it explains how Black Noir got so injured in that flashback we saw last week. He couldn't heel because Soldier Boy took his power.

56 minutes ago, Benny said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"Rocky 4, motherfucker!" :lol:

I literally laughed out loud at this. 

Homelander, wow. I think he's slowly but surely edging his way into my top 3 TV show characters ever. I love his insta-flips from throwaway passive-aggressive comments to outright savage actions. And there's nothing anyone can do about it. 

I haven't read the theory above, but I think it's obvious what they're setting up with A-Train... 

Spoiler

A showdown with Hughie so that Hughie can get revenge, finally. It was also obvious that A-Train would rat the others out to Homelander, he's always been a fucking weasel. 

On 11/06/2022 at 01:47, makkuwata said:

Jensen Ackles is perfect for Soldier Boy. Anyone else doing that would have come across as a cunt. It reminds me of his "Eye of the Tiger" bit in Supernatural. He gets away with it through sheer charisma.

On 11/06/2022 at 00:16, Silent Runner said:

I like this theory.

Reveal hidden contents

And I think it explains how Black Noir got so injured in that flashback we saw last week. He couldn't heel because Soldier Boy took his power.

Spoiler

Yep, and as we saw when Maeve pulled off the bottom half of his mask, he’s never been able to heal that damage. So I’m guessing that Homelander will be tagged by this, beaten up badly, then have lasting injuries despite getting his powers back in time to avoid being killed. 

22 hours ago, Thor said:

I haven't read the theory above, but I think it's obvious what they're setting up with A-Train... 

Hide contents

A showdown with Hughie so that Hughie can get revenge, finally. It was also obvious that A-Train would rat the others out to Homelander, he's always been a fucking weasel. 

I’m not convinced he did.

Spoiler

Homelander will have found out another way. He’d already overheard Starlight and Deadboy plotting.

13 minutes ago, deKay said:

I’m not convinced he did.

Reveal hidden contents

Homelander will have found out another way. He’d already overheard Starlight and Deadboy plotting.

Nah, while there's a good chance that... 

Spoiler

... Homelander is just sowing division amongst them, I don't think Hughie having the same powers as A-Train is juat a coincidence. I reckon they're setting up a big showdown between those two, and that can't really happen if A-Train is technically on the same side as Hughie. 

Spoiler

Does Hughie have the same powers as A-rain? I thought he had short distance teleportation rather than super-speed.

Also, why is Soldier Boy the weapon? I thought the weapon was what stopped Soldier Boy, but if it's not, it's what allowed him to be captured, no?

Why isn't Black Noir being mentioned by anyone in the 7/Voight.

I know we get the flashback scene but Maeve giving him nuts in season 2 to beat him and him being off screen for basically 4 episodes seems off. 

It doesn't seem we are going down the comic book route with him...

Spoiler

...Being a Homelander clone

So what's going on?

11 hours ago, hub2 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Does Hughie have the same powers as A-rain? I thought he had short distance teleportation rather than super-speed.

Also, why is Soldier Boy the weapon? I thought the weapon was what stopped Soldier Boy, but if it's not, it's what allowed him to be captured, no?

Spoiler

I guess the other possibility is that Soldier Boy was actually defecting, and Crimson Countess was in on it. He’s apparently not the brightest guy, so maybe the Russians promised to make him even more powerful then, when the procedure was finished, kept him ‘on ice’ until he was needed. 

Having love the first series, and found the second a bit tedious, I'm finding the third very enjoyable again.

Just feels more purpose in the storyline they're telling in the first four eps.

It definitely feels a lot tighter this season. The only thing I don’t really like are the scenes with Frenchie - he just doesn’t seem to have anything beyond his accent. 

The show reminds me a lot of Robocop. Which is a very good thing. With the over the top ultra-violence and the super satirical ads and clips.

Homelander is just amazing. Absolutely terrifying.

Interested to see where they’re going with this but you just know Hughie’s going to be annoying

Spoiler

with his temp powers. 

I hope Kimiko doesn’t die…but I guess she’s the most expendable of the characters even if I don’t particularly like Frenchie. Find him a bit annoying and his acting a little suspect  

On 13/06/2022 at 17:33, Radish said:

It definitely feels a lot tighter this season. The only thing I don’t really like are the scenes with Frenchie - he just doesn’t seem to have anything beyond his accent. 

And his silent Waifu

On 12/06/2022 at 23:05, hub2 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

It's teleportation - he teleported out of his clothes.

First episode that felt a little like it was treading water. Things moved but not massively so.

Still enjoyed spending time with the characters though