The Boys - Amazon superhero show

JohnC

On 24/06/2022 at 11:12, JohnC said:

After all the hype, Herogasm is probably taking 4th place in the episode, after, in no particular order, 

Hide contents

Bluehawk getting dragged, the big fight and the streaming at the end. 

5th behind 

Spoiler

Imagine :lol:

That was an awesome epsiode

Spoiler

The big fight between Soldier Boy, Butcher and Homeland was great. It was awesome seeing Homelander get his arse handed to him and leaving him with a physical bruise rather than just a bruised ego is fantastic.

Shame Butcher didn't give it an "oi cunt" when he stood up haha.

Rewatching the fight and...

Spoiler

I love the way Homelander is caught off-guard and blurts out "... what the fuck?" in complete disbelief when Butcher lasers him.

Also liked the way Soldier Boy mocks Homelander's cape and uses it a couple of minutes later to yank him out of the air and throw him into a wall.

Regarding Victoria Neuman:

Spoiler

Last week we saw her injecting her daughter with Compound V to horrific and painful effect. No mention of it since, though?

Man I'm just caught up with this season and Christ this is so damn good! They're utterly skewering white supremacy, capitalism, and basically everything Trump stood for. Victoria Newman I first assumed was a lame both sides move but she's clearly a stand in for democrats taking corporate deposits. 

Also i love that Edgar lost control of Homelander. Suspect he's a not too subtle analogy of what happens when you whip up a racist mob to win elections then they end up storming the capitol.

A friend was telling me that apparently the Boys subreddit is currently in meltdown, because a huge number of the participants were apparently unaware Homelander was a bad guy, and are upset with his heel turn. That and a dislike for how 'political' it has become.

What show have they been watching, exactly?

Ah, those sweet summer incels.

Spoiler

I'm guessing it's a similar situation to when Danni torched King's Landing. Only this time it was obvious from the first episode Homelander was a bad guy to anyone who wasn't themselves also a bad person.

18 minutes ago, Benny said:

Ah, those sweet summer incels.

Hide contents

I'm guessing it's a similar situation to when Danni torched King's Landing. Only this time it was obvious from the first episode Homelander was a bad guy to anyone who wasn't themselves also a bad person.

Well quite, it was pretty early on that 

Spoiler

he let that plane full of people die, and lasered a couple of them into the bargain. And also burst that blind hero’s eardrums.

1 hour ago, Sabreman said:

A friend was telling me that apparently the Boys subreddit is currently in meltdown, because a huge number of the participants were apparently unaware Homelander was a bad guy, and are upset with his heel turn. That and a dislike for how 'political' it has become.

Once you realise that, like Trump, Homelander is a beta male’s idea of an alpha male it becomes a lot easier to understand. 

Herogasm - or how do you adapt a full corporate island retreat, while not doing that any doing something more interesting instead?

Spoiler

I also wasn’t expecting a Homelander three way until the final episode of the season.

This show bares almost no relationship to the comics now at all, and is better for it.

Spoiler

Since we’ve now had love sausage, and given that the whole “Laura is alive” was cut from whole tv cloth, are there any iconic moments left?

On 26/06/2022 at 18:15, footle said:

Herogasm - or how do you adapt a full corporate island retreat, while not doing that any doing something more interesting instead?

Hide contents

I also wasn’t expecting a Homelander three way until the final episode of the season.

This show bares almost no relationship to the comics now at all, and is better for it.

Hide contents

Since we’ve now had love sausage, and given that the whole “Laura is alive” was cut from whole tv cloth, are there any iconic moments left?

Yes - comics spoiler

Spoiler

All of The Boys dying.

30 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Should I have clicked on that spoiler? I thought it was going to be about this week's episode- does it actually blow the end of the comics?

No. And it’s astonishingly unlikely to blow the end of the show.

1 hour ago, Sabreman said:

I don't understand how anyone could be so dense they didn't know Homelander was a right cunt. 

47 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Should I have clicked on that spoiler? I thought it was going to be about this week's episode- does it actually blow the end of the comics?

Comics, yes. Show, nobody knows.

A timely reminder that I really hate spoiler chat permeating into a film or TV thread from a different medium of the same franchise.

It was a fucking ball-ache with book talk (marked up or otherwise) in the GoT and Expanse threads. And it’s proving the same here.

Watched Herogasm last night. 

This is the best superhero related TV show ever. So fucking good. 

Anthony Starr is just compelling to watch. Dudes a megastar. 

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

A timely reminder that I really hate spoiler chat permeating into a film or TV thread from a different medium of the same franchise.

It was a fucking ball-ache with book talk (marked up or otherwise) in the GoT and Expanse threads. And it’s proving the same here.

then don’t read this thread and go and read some recaps.

The two stories are pretty much entirely different anyway - to the tv show’s benefit (there is not a single scene or plot beat from the last episode that has anything to do with the comics) - and you’re never* going to read the comics.

but the idea that all media stand entirely alone remains ridiculous: they are all in conversation with each other. Just as different stage productions of hamlet are in conversation with one another.

the whole “tv and film adaptations discourse must never talk about anything but the tv series” is and remains ridiculous.

just don’t open spoilers.

* seriously, if you were thinking of doing so, just don’t bother.

It was shit for game of thrones as well.

it’s strange - these threads are started with explicit conversations about the source media and how it might be problematic to adapt - hell post two is a full page from the comic, the rest of the first page continues along those lines, and most of the discussion of the first series is about the relationship and choices made between the two media - and then at some point some gatekeepers turn up and say “no conversations about the source media allowed”.

Go and make your own thread, if it upsets you so much.

Making a new thread is an idea and was exactly what I was suggesting. Which you're also saying was shit for Game of Thrones. So the alternative to that is just to be more careful with comics chat in here now that the discussion has evolved to discuss the show, which I think is all the people not familiar with the comics here are asking.

10 hours ago, NGINX said:

I accidentally opened that open as it wasn't well labelled.

New thread is probably the best way forward.

You're welcome to make one for "no comics discussion". But I'll note again - as I did on page five - that there's almost no overlap between this story and the comics at this point. As an indication - SHOW SPOILERS HERE, COMICS SPOILERS BY THEIR ABSENCE - the following are not in the comics, or in the comics in anything like the same way or prominence:

Spoiler

Laura. Becca.

And hence, LauraBecca/Homelander's son.

Stormfront (in any way that matters - different sex for a start, didn't join the Seven etc.).

Soldier Boy, or any of the relationships between Soldier Boy and the members of Payback.

Victoria.

You can expand that - which is basically the major plot beats from the end of Season 1 onwards - to include almost all the minor plot beats as well.

Even the V/temp-V is vastly different between the show and comics

Spoiler

In the comics, it's very long lasting (I don't think they get a "booster" in the entire run), has no bad side effects (or hangover), and "just" gives them enhanced strength, durability and healing. In the show it lasts 24 hours, has nasty side effects, and gives them specific but unknowable powers.

Then you've got MM's origin story. In the show, it's only really just come out about Soldier Boy, but in the comics that doesn't happen and he's called MM because

Spoiler

He literally needs his mother's milk to survive. Plus he's a supe.

Aside from the name of the show and some of the characters, it's only really the basic premise that's the same between the show and comics. The vast majority of stuff in the comics *can't* happen in the show because the setup, characters, events, powers, etc. don't exist. Hell, one of the major comic storylines involves a member of the Seven who *isn't even in the show*.

I'm not against book/comic chat in TV threads where it's relevant, as long as clearly marked spoilers are used, as there will obviously be TV things that book readers will want to talk about The clearly marked spoilers thing is important though, as the danger is that TV show watchers who haven't read the books, but may want to, can easily have book stuff spoiled for them. I doubt I'll ever read the comics in this case, which is good because I opened an unmarked spoiler yesterday containing a pretty major event from what I assume is the very end of the comics.

If comic/book conversation gets to the point where threads are just a string of book spoilers, then I think it's only right that the conversation is taken to either a new thread, or the relevant comic/book thread.

Obviously I think this should work both ways with TV talk in the book threads.

12 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I doubt I'll ever read the comics in this case, which is good because I opened an unmarked spoiler yesterday containing a pretty major event from what I assume is the very end of the comics.

If you're talking about my spoiler, it was in direct reply to a (quoted) question about the comics.

On 25/06/2022 at 23:57, makkuwata said:
  Hide contents

I don’t know how the actor who plays MM didn’t break. :lol:

Somehow hadn’t even occurred to me how amazing the outtakes must be from this show. I hope we get them at some point. 

EDIT: Never mind!

21 minutes ago, deKay said:

If you're talking about my spoiler, it was in direct reply to a (quoted) question about the comics.

I didn't want to name names, but yeah. This is how the post appears:

image.thumb.png.fb932e792c5cfde8f24d766dd840fe86.png

I wasn't following the earlier conversation, as I haven't read the comics, and hadn't expanded the quoted post above either. However as I was up to date with the show, I expanded your spoiler as I assumed there was nothing from the show to spoil. 

Obviously if I was paying more attention I would have avoided it, but you know.