The Boys - Amazon superhero show

JohnC

19 hours ago, footle said:

Perhaps that bit is a secret - weren’t they a black ops division of the FBSA? It’s not as though he was Hughie.

I had the impression they were more field agents for the FBSA, hence doing all the tedious stuff like surveillance with an occasional bit of action. Plus, you have Butcher flashing his ID to get into crime scenes. 

As to the finale, I predict it will feature the death of… 

Spoiler

Black Noir. It’s obviously been established he’s going after Soldier Boy, so after an ambush where he manages to fuck SB up and has him on the ropes, I bet a conflicted Homelander will step in and kill Noir to save his father. 

Will be interesting to see if the next season sees Butcher and his crew trying to deal with a united Soldier Boy and Homelander. The very definition of a worst case scenario. 

This is something that completely passed me by, but I was intrigued so watched a couple of episodes of series one yesterday. Absolutely love it. Interested to see how the characters develop. 

Spoiler

I have been thinking about the latest episode and I just can't see Soldier boy and Homelander suddenly bonding as father and son. They are both too Alpha Male for them to figure out how that would work

The cast is on a promotional tour in Brazil at the moment.

I really missed Anthony Starr when he took a few months off social media after his little oopsie. He comes out with so much gold.

19 hours ago, tobert said:
  Hide contents

I have been thinking about the latest episode and I just can't see Soldier boy and Homelander suddenly bonding as father and son. They are both too Alpha Male for them to figure out how that would work

Spoiler

Mirror Homelander will talk him out of any bonding. Soldier Boy is too much of a threat, plus that bruise is likely to have consequences. It'd also be good PR for Homelander to take out Soldier Boy now that the public is getting an inkling of him being responsible for that explosion.

Soldier Boy could be playing the long con when he told homelander he would stand aside for his son.

The cartoon segment showed what soldier boy did to Black Noir, costing him his part in Beverly Hills cop! 

What could have been!

I must say, I’ve really enjoyed the way they developed Black Noir lately. With all his earlier quirks paying off. 

Spoiler

So after Soldier Boy gave him a brain injury, he became an idiot savant. Still capable at fighting, even an accomplished piano player, but mentally he’s very much like a child. It makes those idle doodlings during meetings of the Seven, and him briefly playing with that kid after murdering the supe terrorist, take on a whole new dimension. Not to mention him unexpectedly fleeing way back in season one after his fight with Kamiko. When he gets scared he runs, it’s just that what does scare him now seems pretty erratic. The Hard Rock Cafe massacre certainly suggests he’s not in complete control of his faculties. 

It makes Edgar using him as a silent, indestructible proxy in season two all the more chilling. Especially considering his last scene in Nicaragua where he’s talking about wanting to be seen as a real person rather than a characterless mask. 

Didn’t love that 

Spoiler

Rather than the uncomfortable forced truces etc The Boys/Starlights survival has felt more ridiculous as the season went on. Starlight using fame made sense for a bit but now Homelander is publically killing people the fact he doesn’t squash them comes off as plot armor.

I miss the tense cat and mouse stuff from earlier (eg the ‘am I lying’ elevator  scene)

Soldier Boy was frustratingly unexplored - both his toxic personality and his new Russian ‘programming’. Im not sure what the point of the later was. It wasnt used in the finale. It wasn’t revealed to him to see reaction. Etc. Similarly who’s Homelanders mother? He mentions tearing through archives but it’s not mentioned. No one asks or seems interested. There’s an obvious answer that feels it’s being left for future drama rather than due to narrative sense.

I’m still not convinced by ‘Anti Soldier Boy’ groups position. They had no other plan and Homelanders a monster. Sometimes all you have is bad options. They didn’t have a better way (or sny way) and should be dead except for aforementioned plot armor.

Which is odd because it feels like they could have a plan. No one even mentions using Novichok on Homelander. Maeve wrecked Homelander. She wasn’t going to win but she did more damage than SB/Butcher/Hughie combined. They gave him a bruise, she made him bleed. A proper team could possibly take him.

The Boys S3 seems to set up the question of what do you do when the bad guys keep winning? It doesn’t have an answer - just what you don’t do. I felt similarly unsatisfied by, say FATWS

’ ‘Do better’.

Yeah, think I'm in agreement.

Spoiler

Taken as a whole, remarkably little seems to have changed over the course of the season, or is that unfair? Maeve's been de-powered, but could presumably just use some V to regain her power like Kimiko did. So of the core characters, the only one to have been dealt with is Black Noir getting offed. That feels remarkably toothless for a season when we've had supe'd up Butcher.

Also I didn't really buy him stopping Soldier Boy from unleashing the first blast that would have caught Homelander and Ryan. So Ryan might get blasted and de-powered, that'd be a good thing as far as Butcher's concerned wouldn't it? A blast isn't likely to kill him. It didn't kill Kimiko and a giant blast and then a 20 floor fall appear to not be enough to kill Maeve, even though when she's falling she's presumably without powers? No supes is Butcher's whole goal. 

Feels like a season where the main cast are safe and it's only the new or background characters that were ever at risk.

1 hour ago, Alask said:

Yeah, think I'm in agreement.

Hide contents

Taken as a whole, remarkably little seems to have changed over the course of the season, or is that unfair? Maeve's been de-powered, but could presumably just use some V to regain her power like Kimiko did. So of the core characters, the only one to have been dealt with is Black Noir getting offed. That feels remarkably toothless for a season when we've had supe'd up Butcher.

Also I didn't really buy him stopping Soldier Boy from unleashing the first blast that would have caught Homelander and Ryan. So Ryan might get blasted and de-powered, that'd be a good thing as far as Butcher's concerned wouldn't it? A blast isn't likely to kill him. It didn't kill Kimiko and a giant blast and then a 20 floor fall appear to not be enough to kill Maeve, even though when she's falling she's presumably without powers? No supes is Butcher's whole goal. 

Feels like a season where the main cast are safe and it's only the new or background characters that were ever at risk.

Spoiler

Soldier Boy's "blasts" are remarkably undefined.

They almost "beam like" badly hurt and depowered Kimiko

They almost exploded and roasted Crimson Countess at point blank range

They AoE detonated and killed a load of normal people in the street

They AoE detonated and killed a load of Supes at Herogasm. Homelander mentions the survivors had the V burnt out of them. (Which makes things like Love Sausage still having his Sausage and Termite still being small curious)

It looked like a beam/blast was going to kill Homelander (and Butcher wanted Hughie to get out of there)

Then today they were about to explode presented as "we'll all going to die" mode, but then AoE exploded, mid air, doing massive property damage but only depowering Maeve who then fell to earth?

I think it fair to say Ryan was probably in danger as they are more than a depowering ray mostly, but Maeve survivng the blast and the fall is really odd.

They never really explained why/how the Russians gave him this depower/explodey power did they? 

Or why they then stuck him in a cryo tube for years ignored? 

Compared to recent superpowered hero shows like Stranger Things and Peacemaker, this is starting to feel decidedly second rate. 

Spoiler

Is there another show like this where the main characters are never really in peril? Something like All Of Us Are Dead should be a must watch for the writers before the next season  

Hmm yeah (last ep spoilers)

Spoiler

That episode was doing so many contortions to get to a desired reset that I had to pause it a couple of times just to catch up.

Was a bit of a letdown I have to say.

Also modern Soldier Boy just didn’t seem like that much of an asshole? Certainly not compared to how bad Homelander is. Really was frustrating seeing Butcher’s complete heel-turn just based on the boy appearing (who, as mentioned was likely to survive the blast)

Maybe if we’d seen Soldier Boy do worse and worse things during his time with Butcher it would have been more satisfying to see him turn on him at the end. As it was it was just frustrating and Mauve seemed to be the only one with any sense. Go Mauve!

Really enjoyed this season, as ever. Some epic showdowns, new twists and overall just a good entertaining romp with great performances.

Spoiler

The final showdown was great. Kind of surprised they didn't kill off Maeve or Soldier Boy, though I guess you need something around as an anti-Homelander device or there's no hope! It's a shame the Noir storyline didn't really go anywhere, at least if his death had swung Soldier Boy's opinion about Homelander it would have had more resonance. I thought the introduction of Ryan into the final showdown made things way more interesting than a standard superhero fight and I like the direction they are taking it with him. I wonder if the Boys can get through to him and he'll be the ultimate undoing of Homelander?

Have to give special mention to the effects this season, they've always been good but I thought they were really on point especially in this last episode, with people getting flung around with proper weight to them. They do weighty and visceral superhero fights way better than most of the Marvel CGI fests.

I do kind of agree with the whole treading water thing and the main crew feeling a bit too invincible. But for me it does usually retain the tension because we know they aren't afraid to kill off key characters in the series. Looking back though it does seem a bit spineless, not that I want folk on the main cast to die, but with them breezing out of this series relitavely unscathed it makes it harder to be afraid for them in the future. There weren't really any big scary shock moments like the headpopping of last season in this one. Still love it though!

Spoiler

Kimiko's bit was definitely the best and most fun sequence.

I'd already resigned myself to the idea that this episode was probably going to do a big reset, because they have a successful show on their hands and are probably going to want to milk it as much as they can now.

So taken as is, it was quite an entertaining hour. Had some very on the nose scenes like the MAGA lot etc obviously.

Though generally that scene is just really a damning indictment of Starlight's idealism, as all it's done is enabled some genuinely scary fascism to be unleashed. So it's like, what's the plan now? Do they still think they should take out Homelander? They've mostly just fucked up more and made everything worse :lol:

I still have a few questions:

Spoiler

Neuman's daughter didn't come up again after being injected with V. It's like that plotline ceased to exist.

What's happening with Stan Edgar?

Hughie killed someone while he was on Temp V and hasn't reflected on it at all. Very unlike Hughie. I know he wasn't himself but he hasn't commented on it at all.

Another interesting potential plot point that some reviewers pointed out:

Spoiler

Homelander's had a revelation that all his team betrayed him in some way, he hates Vought in general, and now he realises that he's being accepted by the public for who he really is. Could we see him just dump Vought altogether and do his own thing in politics/superhero movement? That would leave the door open for Stan Edgar and co to make a new superhero crew.

There's definitely going to be something going on with Stan in future seasons, either via manipulating his headpopping 'daughter' when she's in power, or by getting back into Vought and making Homelander pay the price. Definitely curious what they'll do with him. They could have just had him vanish after his ejection from Vought but then added the connection to the headpopping lady so he's still in play in some regard, and you don't have a talent like Gioncarno Esposito and not use him.

The Boys is now number 2 in the streaming charts just behind Stranger Things, so for better or worse there's unlikely to be any big conclusion to the story any time soon. As long as the writing stays this good though I'm up for it, but I do hope they don't drag it out to infinity.

37 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Another interesting potential plot point that some reviewers pointed out:

Hide contents

Homelander's had a revelation that all his team betrayed him in some way, he hates Vought in general, and now he realises that he's being accepted by the public for who he really is. Could we see him just dump Vought altogether and do his own thing in politics/superhero movement? That would leave the door open for Stan Edgar and co to make a new superhero crew.

There's definitely going to be something going on with Stan in future seasons, either via manipulating his headpopping 'daughter' when she's in power, or by getting back into Vought and making Homelander pay the price. Definitely curious what they'll do with him. They could have just had him vanish after his ejection from Vought but then added the connection to the headpopping lady so he's still in play in some regard, and you don't have a talent like Gioncarno Esposito and not use him.

The Boys is now number 2 in the streaming charts just behind Stranger Things, so for better or worse there's unlikely to be any big conclusion to the story any time soon. As long as the writing stays this good though I'm up for it, but I do hope they don't drag it out to infinity.

I'm sure they've said it's ending with the next season

3 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Hide contents

Neuman's daughter didn't come up again after being injected with V. It's like that plotline ceased to exist.

I wonder if

Spoiler

It didnt take propey and she ended up deformed or in a serious bad way and it'll come back to haunt her on thr political side. Her secrets being revealed.

5 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Hide contents

What's happening with Stan Edgar?

Hughie killed someone while he was on Temp V and hasn't reflected on it at all. Very unlike Hughie. I know he wasn't himself but he hasn't commented on it at all.

Just sounds like stuff that will come up again next season. Not everything needs to be resolved. 

I think, in a similar way to season 2, this didn’t really stick the landing. Like the writers were pushing pieces around the board as opposed to it feeling like they’d ended up there organically, in a way that had you say ‘yeah, that makes sense.’ 

My biggest issue like that was: 

Spoiler

Newman having access to Ryan’s address. She’s powerful, no doubt, but not ‘has access to classified CIA data’ powerful. It was just like they wanted Homelander to find Ryan again so hand-waved it a bit. Yes, I know Butcher went to visit him a few times, but given how tight security was can you honestly tell me they wouldn’t have swept his car for things like tracking devices and immediately moved safe house if one were found? It’s bullshit. 

The big fight…well…I can kind of buy Butcher deviating from the plan as Ryan was there. He was knocked out and bleeding, so he’s obviously nowhere near as impervious as Homelander yet, and Soldier Boy’s detonation is really unpredictable. It’s either small nuke or targeted beam, and he can’t seem to select one at will. No guarantee Ryan would survive. My biggest problem with that scene was Butcher not telling Ryan why he’d been such an arsehole to him before. He knew he was losing him to Homelander, but the best he could come up with was ‘please.’ Likely it wouldn’t have changed anything, but it would’ve felt way more authentic. 

Was it still enjoyable? Of course! This show is never less than enjoyable. But season one set a high bar that it has, somewhat, struggled to hit consistently ever since. 

6 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Just sounds like stuff that will come up again next season. Not everything needs to be resolved. 

That's obvious. I'm saying it could've been handled a bit better than being set up in the first few episodes and cut dead.

I'm with everyone else. Generally a good series, but didn't change much or surprise much.

Spoiler

Noir went nowhere. Starlight's big power reveal was underwhelming. Soldier Boy being a macguffin with little point to it.

I'd always secretly hoped that Kimiko's voice would be the most powerful weapon in it, but it doesn't seem like they're going in that direction.

Add me to the general sentiment on this.

With 2 eps to go I was really enjoying this season and thought it was set up for an interesting conclusion. Unfortunately last ep in particular was pretty dumb and quite generic action movie fodder, only elevated above generic dross I don't watch (Marvel, DC etc) by the world & characters rather than the actual plot.

Nowhere near GoT or Westworld levels of falling off a clif,f so will happy watch more, but leaves me feeling disappointed with it rather than really interested in what follows