IGNORED

The Boys - Amazon superhero show

JohnC

it was it's own little mini series in the comics. Although that's probably just cos they had a different artist filling in. I expect in the paperbacks it just got slotted back in as a normal arc.

I wonder how much phat merchandise money DC lost when they booted it out and reverted the rights back to Ennis and Robertson :lol: 

Not that a DCTV adaptation would have been successful anyway, all those shows are SHITE

Has anyone watched the animated spin-off, Diabolical? There’s a degree of hubris/tempting fate in calling it that, but on the basis of two episodes, it averages out as being OK. The first episode, which is about a scientist trying to control a V-infused baby done in the style of a Tex Avery cartoon, was pretty poor, but one of the later ones was really good. It’s written by Garth Ennis, and is almost an alternative universe take on the series, where it’s closer to the comic and has a different cast - Jason Isaacs is Butcher, Simon Pegg is Hughie, and Michael Cera and Kieran Culkin play villains. That one at least is worth watching. 

35 minutes ago, K said:

Has anyone watched the animated spin-off, Diabolical? There’s a degree of hubris/tempting fate in calling it that, but on the basis of two episodes, it averages out as being OK. The first episode, which is about a scientist trying to control a V-infused baby done in the style of a Tex Avery cartoon, was pretty poor, but one of the later ones was really good. It’s written by Garth Ennis, and is almost an alternative universe take on the series, where it’s closer to the comic and has a different cast - Jason Isaacs is Butcher, Simon Pegg is Hughie, and Michael Cera and Kieran Culkin play villains. That one at least is worth watching. 

Yeah I thought they were a pretty good fun diversion. That particular one was probably the best of them.

I found this season ludicrously entertaining for the most part. The last episode went a bit marvel with bullshit fighting (superheroes fighting is almost always dull as fuck), and after watching The Leftovers last month the last thing I needed was another crowbarred-in orgy, but overall I absolutely loved the shit out of it, and Homelander is easily one of the greatest villains in TV history, absolutely owning every scene he is in.

I just polished this off, on balance series 3 was much better than series 2, but you still come away from it all thinking you could have made much better use of your time. It’s definitely very watchable, but is ultimately just pointless tripe.

15 hours ago, Timmo said:

I found this season ludicrously entertaining for the most part. The last episode went a bit marvel with bullshit fighting (superheroes fighting is almost always dull as fuck), and after watching The Leftovers last month the last thing I needed was another crowbarred-in orgy, but overall I absolutely loved the shit out of it, and Homelander is easily one of the greatest villains in TV history, absolutely owning every scene he is in.

Where was the orgy in Leftovers? I don't remember that.

I was rewatching Season 2 and I wonder if they'll ever bring back

Spoiler

Cindy, the girl with superpowers that they released from the testing facility who could explode people with her mind. They focussed a lot on her escaping and then never came back to her. Probably not, but you never know.

9 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I was rewatching Season 2 and I wonder if they'll ever bring back

Hide contents

Cindy, the girl with superpowers that they released from the testing facility who could explode people with her mind. They focussed a lot on her escaping and then never came back to her. Probably not, but you never know.

Probably not, I think she was just included to act as a red herring for Neuman. 

Homelander just makes this show, but honestly Soldier Boy was great and I still love the relationship between Frenchie and Kimiko. This season has been so solid.

Spoiler

The only thing that feels off is the lack of consequences from the finale. But still I really enjoyed it; even when Soldier Boy was still alive.

I'm not sure that I agree...

Spoiler

that there was a lack of consequence in the finale. While there was a huge amount of conflict across the season, the consequences are less dramatic and character driven.

None of the major characters got their heads punched off, and the broad status quo of Homelander vs The Boys is maintained, but in the wider world there have been huge changes.

Homelander has dropped the facade, has some of the public's support and his son (who is beginning to turn). Butcher has a death sentence. Maeve is off the board. The Seven are broadly destroyed at this point (Noir is dead, Starlight has left, Supersonic is dead, Maeve is gone, the Deep is eating cookies, A-train regrets everything). Vought is out of control as a business.

Hughie has accepted being weak, Kimiko has accepted her powers, Frenchie is standing up for himself. There's a big bad head popper going for power, who's played an entirely different game while The Boys focused on Homelander.

I think all of that is why I loved this season so much. The big bombastic stuff was actually that, but it was the small moments that mattered and drove things on. And we have an interesting dynamic building now - PREDICTION: Ryan is the overall stories big bad, and the one heroic act Butcher and Homelander make is to take him down.

Sidenotes: Herogasm was comically tame. It's like it came in from a parallel universe where GoT and Spartacus had never been made. Lots of fake tits everywhere, terrible grinding and floating dildos. Woo. That fight at the end was great fun, though.

Ackles was brilliant as Soldier Boy, loved him. Him smashing in the psychic's face showed how tame the same scene in Falcon and WS was. Noir's story was wonderfully told; he's not mysterious, he's just brain-locked into being a child.

I wasn't a fan of The Deep's arc, despite the comical notes of him him Octopus fucking getting a hearty laugh. 

I just finished watching the finale of S3 and my gut feeling is kind of despondency - the show being so analogous to the real world made that end scene just thoroughly depressing more than anything else. The fascists keep pushing things further and further and it just gets assimilated as ‘the new normal’.

It’s not as entertaining as it should be in a TV show when we’re faced with that every day in reality.

• 5 weeks later...

It’ll be interesting having The Comedian appear in the series. The Boys has had some ingenious, in-jokey cameos in the past, ie Haley Joel Osment as a has-been former child superhero, so it’ll be fun to see if they hang anything off like that off JD Morgan. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Half way through season 2 so sorry if this has been covered, but Karl Urban's accent is a joke right?

It’s consistently the best thing about the show.

• 3 weeks later...