IGNORED

The Beatles: Get Back - Peter Jackson Beatles documentary

JohnC

On 13/12/2021 at 12:47, Ste Pickford said:

Another observation:  Don't Let Me Down is an incredible song, isn't it?  And it wasn't included on the final album!

Thankfully 'Let It Be... Naked' has it, which is a better version of the album all round in my view. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Bit of a different take from Justin Hawkins - I'm not a fan of his band but his channel is excellent. Well worth a watch.

I'm not particularly anti Justin, The Darkness were fun and I've seen him be pretty insightful in various forms over the last few years, but Jesus H Christ does it take him an age to make any kind of point here. EDIT YOURSELF, MAN!

I’ve watched all 3 episodes this week while I’ve been in isolation. As fan-service it’s remarkable and a wonderful archive, but as a piece of film-making I find it really frustrating. There’s a 2-3 hour epic documentary in here that would have been amazing if it had been edited bit more I think. As it is there is a lot of meandering and not much happening, which is great for fans but I thought 2 hours of it in the first episode was probably a bit much.

But then Paul McCartney starts playing Let it Be and it’s magical. 

18 hours ago, Marlowe said:

If anything I wish it was longer. I could have done without quite as many takes of Don't Let Me Down, but there were whole songs that we sometimes only saw one snippet of that I'd have loved to hear all of. 

Jackson said in some interviews the original edit was 15 hours - I reckon that'll see the light of day at some point

This was just an utter utter delight from beginning to end, imo. It's like a gift from the gods, tbh. My girlfriend and I sat transfixed through the entire thing marvelling about how lucky we (everyone actually) are to have this chronicled. To be able to reach back through time and see such an unfiltered/unguarded account of such a time and place. It's like being given a glimpse of something historic in a very personal way. Anyway, can't gush about it enough. It seems reproachful to ask for it but I wish there were extras. And I want a blu ray special edition!

4 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I'm still only on the second part (Have to watch it once @Papilio goes to bed but loving it.) A recent highlight was Yoko shyly approaching George Martin to ask where she could buy sheet music and Martin's rather dismissive response. She was like a shy teenager trying to talk to a teacher she has a crush on.

Watch it during the day on your kindle. 

We’ve watched a couple of these now, as said somewhere above it’s just delightful time travel. I’ve never been a mad Beatles fan but any music doc is catnip for me and my better half loves them so it’s great.

So funny how they relate to each other - Paul clearly thinks John the better artist is running the show, John clearly thinks Paul the better artist is running the show, and neither of them really cares significantly about what the other two think beyond the fact they are their mates in the band and they love them.

I loved the bit with Yoko, Paul & John doing a crazy jam. As I mentioned elsewhere I think I prefer Double Fantasy to all the other Beatles stuff so it was fun to think of that being partially embryonic!

• 2 weeks later...

This was incredible. I was genuinely sad when the end credits appeared. It did such an amazing job of making you feel like you were in their company and I am going to miss that. I'm very much a casual Beatles fan, only knowing the hits. I had tons of respect for them, but had never really listened to an album, but have now realized that I need to rectify that. With that in mind, would anyone have any advice on the best way in? Should I start with the earlier albums? It was 'Dig A Pony' that really sold me on just how fantastic they are, if that helps.

25 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

With that in mind, would anyone have any advice on the best way in? Should I start with the earlier albums? It was 'Dig A Pony' that really sold me on just how fantastic they are, if that helps.

Their most similar song to Dig A Pony is probably And Your Bird Can Sing from Revolver, as it's based around a lengthy up-and-down guitar melody that doubles as both a riff and a solo. It also shares an animal in the title. :P

So Revolver's as good a starting point as any!

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

This was incredible. I was genuinely sad when the end credits appeared. It did such an amazing job of making you feel like you were in their company and I am going to miss that. I'm very much a casual Beatles fan, only knowing the hits. I had tons of respect for them, but had never really listened to an album, but have now realized that I need to rectify that. With that in mind, would anyone have any advice on the best way in? Should I start with the earlier albums? It was 'Dig A Pony' that really sold me on just how fantastic they are, if that helps.

For the studio wizard stuff, Rubber Soul / Revolver / Peppers / Magic Mystery Tour / White Album aka The Beatles / Abbey Road

For the poppy RnB stuff it's Please / With the Beatles / Hard Days Night / Beatles for Sale / Help

My fav of theirs will always be The White Album because it is so random - a perfect double album if those are your thing - you just live in that world for  90 crazy minutes. But if doubles are too long Revolver is excellent, but don't overlook Rubber Soul as part of that journey to more studio orientated experimentation

Enjoy!

Yeah, add me to the list of people who've finished this and absolutely loved it.

The closest thing I can compare it to is watching Big Brother where its more like an observational social experiment than a documentary, creative process, how vivid they all are as people, the bizarre nature of them assembling songs so casually but they're absolute classics. Even the stuff where George is kind of like an annoying fanboy, who wants to work on more of his own material, but of course the songs he goes on to write are absolute classics too.

I never really fully embraced the Beatles music, but it's time.

Also the opinions of people on the street at the end in the face of a historic moment for London, plus the police, this country hasn't changed.

I'm not a Beatles Fan, which I'll define as someone with a particular interest in their work. My knowledge pretty much consists of being aware of their legacy, reasonably familiar with their most popular work, and having once played through The Beatles Rock Band, a game I own more because I love Rock Band.

I was completely engrossed in this, in as much as one can be when various bits of life prevent much more than grabbing half an episode here, another hour there. I could probably watch them all noodle away at songs for another ten hours if it was at this level. It was just great to watch talented and creative people at work.

Also, Ringo's "I farted" is up there with anything in This Is Spinal Tap. Absolutely impeccable comedy timing.

• 1 month later...

I wasn’t a Beatles fan before watching the doc, in so much I knew (and liked) the catchy songs, but that was about it. It wouldn’t be something I would choose to listen to, put it that way. Eight hours later or whatever it is, I am just blown away by them as a band. The documentary is without doubt one of the best things I’ve ever watched, I just didn’t want it to end. I’m now working my way through their catalog and watching / reading any interviews I can find. It blows my mind that this footage exists of the biggest band that has ever existed and most likely will ever exist and it’s basically completely candid and raw. It truly is incredible. 

Some favorite bits — the tea and toast at the beginning of each day, the fashion, Paul’s beard, Ringo’s dreamy eyes, anytime Billy Preston was playing, John’s “and now The Rolling Stones”, also John’s random lyrics and everyone just going with it every single time. 

Man, what an absolute delight this was.

edit: Just remembered another great part with Mal getting to play the anvil and just seeing the concentration mixed with joy on his face every time he goes to hit it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a shit time with my mental health at the moment. My five and six year old girls are currently obsessed with the animated film Sing. It features a fucking sheep singing Golden Slumbers. It's fucking slaughtering me. It's a sheep. It doesn't even sing the whole song. I'm fucked every time it comes on. Then I found this on Youtube. I'm a mess...