IGNORED

The Beatles: Get Back - Peter Jackson Beatles documentary

JohnC

Well of course episode 3 is a magnificent payoff, the last couple of days in the studio leading to the rooftop performance. I've only seen clips of it before, but it seems here to be presented pretty much in real-time. Aside from the energy and obvious enjoyment the group are having playing (despite freezing cold), there's an undeniable kick out of watching plod get the run-around until it's done. The fucking Beatles are playing live and joyless gits down on the street are complaining that they're "Disrupting local business". Stay miserable, Britain. I love the moment Paul clocks the officers on the roof, turns back to the mic and whoops with delight.

Loving this.

Speaking of credits, like everyone else I've always found it daft that Paul, who's received more adulation from more people than almost anyone who has ever lived, is concerned with credits, especially when who wrote what is mostly very well documented, aside from a handful of songs like In My Life where there's a dispute.

But I do find it a bit funny here with the credits so prominently displayed, where Paul noodling on his own on a piano with Lennon in bed gets Lennon/McCartney, unless it got released as a solo Beatle, and then it gets a solo credit, unless it's like 10 seconds of messing around that only saw the light on bootlegs and this, in which case it gets a Lennon/McCartney/Starkey/Ono or whatever. 

23 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Loving this.

Speaking of credits, like everyone else I've always found it daft that Paul, who's received more adulation from more people than almost anyone who has ever lived, is concerned with credits, especially when who wrote what is mostly very well documented, aside from a handful of songs like In My Life where there's a dispute.

But I do find it a bit funny here with the credits so prominently displayed, where Paul noodling on his own on a piano with Lennon in bed gets Lennon/McCartney, unless it got released as a solo Beatle, and then it gets a solo credit, unless it's like 10 seconds of messing around that only saw the light on bootlegs and this, in which case it gets a Lennon/McCartney/Starkey/Ono or whatever. 

On credits, I'm amazed to see from this footage that one of Lennon's most well known solo songs appears to have been an uncredited Lennon/McCartney. I Googled it just now, and apparently, Paul himself didn't remember any of this himself. 

These recordings really bring home how much these four men admired and loved each other. I know things deteriorated more so but I'd always been led to believe that these, and the not long after, Abbey Road sessions were filled with division and dislike. This document shows that not to be the case, you can't fake the underlying love on show, I don't care if they know cameras are rolling.

So fucking jealous to have never had friendships as deep as these four. If it was coming to an end here I can only imagine how much it had developed back in McCartney's parlour in Speke, Hamburg and The Cavern etc. Magical connections.

I always remember having some sort of spiritual connection with my once best mate whilst on LSD, it was a taste of something I'd have loved to have developed through musical understanding, getting someone, almost preternaturally. John and Paul deffo had it.  

Get back shows to me that The Beatles didn't really break up due to hate or even jealousy, yeah various things had minor roles, but to me it seems more like four guys who need to get away from the machine. Discover some individuality and escape the claustrophobia. They loved each other 'till the end, no matter what's been said or written. 

11 hours ago, Graham S said:

Loving this.

I think much of that may come down to him being the one commonly believed to have split up the band for so long.

58 minutes ago, The Bag said:

I think much of that may come down to him being the one commonly believed to have split up the band for so long.

You’re right of course. I’ve been reading/watching/listening to a lot of solo Paul recently and he was really put through the ringer and felt constantly attacked and overlooked for more than a decade. He was depressed and upset and privately angry. So he has made a determined effort to get across his side of the story and secure his place in the history. That does all make sense really. But still. 

14 hours ago, amc said:

These recordings really bring home how much these four men admired and loved each other. I know things deteriorated more so but I'd always been led to believe that these, and the not long after, Abbey Road sessions were filled with division and dislike. This document shows that not to be the case, you can't fake the underlying love on show, I don't care if they know cameras are rolling.

So fucking jealous to have never had friendships as deep as these four. If it was coming to an end here I can only imagine how much it had developed back in McCartney's parlour in Speke, Hamburg and The Cavern etc. Magical connections.

I always remember having some sort of spiritual connection with my once best mate whilst on LSD, it was a taste of something I'd have loved to have developed through musical understanding, getting someone, almost preternaturally. John and Paul deffo had it.  

Get back shows to me that The Beatles didn't really break up due to hate or even jealousy, yeah various things had minor roles, but to me it seems more like four guys who need to get away from the machine. Discover some individuality and escape the claustrophobia. They loved each other 'till the end, no matter what's been said or written. 

Well strong friendships, love and metric fuck tonne of drugs, yeah. 

Finished. Brilliant. The most dramatic film I’ve seen in ages. 

My wife was wondering something about the ginger roadie, so I said I bet he was heavily documented given how obsessive Beatles scholars are. 

And so that’s how I’ve ended up reading his autobiography, “Who's The Redhead On The Roof....?”