The Beatles: Get Back - Peter Jackson Beatles documentary

JohnC

On 27/11/2021 at 23:04, Gorf King said:

Also: fuck the pigs, and fuck the Tory business population. That's a given, right? We might have got another half hour of the rooftop gig if not for them. Proof, if any other proof were needed, that the mean-spirited little tossers need to fuck the fuck off and stop spoiling life for everyone else. Fucking Tory businessmen and their disgusting apparatus of inept control and their fucking pencil-pushing plan to make the world just as dead as they are. I mean, the film's alright, and The Beatles are ok and I really do like their music, but I mainly just wanted to say that, because it's more true than any documentary ever could be.

Peter Jackson says they were only planning to do those five songs, but who knows.

I agree with your grumpiness about the disturbing the peace / disrupting the local businesses. But I also love how it loops back into Paul's spitballing in Twickenham about trespassing somewhere to do a gig and being carried off by the police, and he looks so delighted when he sees the police have arrived on the roof, so it's maybe more fun the way it actually happened.

Yeah, they keep cycling through the same songs, so maybe. I don't think anyone can really say now how it would have ended up, even those concerned, cos they clearly weren't sticking to a rigid plan and were starting to really loosen up and enjoy themselves. Paul obviously relishes the opportunity to shout 'Get Back!' to the local fuzz, so it's not all bad. Except for those doomed to appear on celluloid for all eternity as joyless pricks.

7 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

Yeah, they keep cycling through the same songs, so maybe. I don't think anyone can really say now how it would have ended up, even those concerned, cos they clearly weren't sticking to a rigid plan and were starting to really loosen up and enjoy themselves. Paul obviously relishes the opportunity to shout 'Get Back!' to the local fuzz, so it's not all bad. Except for those doomed to appear on celluloid for all eternity as joyless pricks.

Munching on their helmet straps as they stare into space while their fandom clearly conflicts with their job. If I was one of those two policemen I wouldn't want to have been credited onscreen as they were!

Their roadie Mal mentioned on the previous page had been with them since the bands early days (the big towering dude who is in most of the scenes) and stuck around with lots of them as individuals post Beatles but met quite a grisly end getting shot up by the cops in LA while on some drug binge. It's strange how so many people connected to The Beatles had early deaths for some reason or another.

3 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Munching on their helmet straps as they stare into space while their fandom clearly conflicts with their job. If I was one of those two policemen I wouldn't want to have been credited onscreen as they were!

Did you think the coppers were fans who were secretly into it? I didn't get that at all.  I just saw authoritarian jobsworths with poor hat design being given the runaround.

I'll end up going down an internet rabbit hole and buying their autobiographies if I'm not careful.

1 hour ago, BongoInferno said:

I'm about halfway through part two and I've been pretty surprised so far at how quiet Ringo is. I'd always assumed he brought the chat. Maybe he's hungover?

I do like when Ringo does finally actually say something (that he wants something to happen), that means the issue is decided, and the other Beatles just accept it. Perhaps he's been the secret power behind the throne all along.

“I wouldn’t say I was a fan,” Shayler told the Daily Mail in a new interview. “I didn’t like the Beatles much when they went a bit Hare Krishna, but we had a few Beatles records and LPs at home. I liked their music. But when I got on the roof, I had a job to do and I thought, ‘Well, we’ve got to try and stop this.’” 

When he arrived, Shayler said the band members “sort of looked at us and carried on with what they were doing.” He spoke to road manager Mal Evans, telling him “that, much as I appreciated what they were doing, it couldn’t happen any more as it was amounting to a breach of the peace.” 

Shayler asked Evans “how long it was going on for. He said, ‘One more record,’ so I said, ‘You might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb. Get on with that one, and then it stops.’ It was a discussion; it never got heated.”

Shayler also recalled the reactions he received from the Beatles as they left at the end of the performance. 

“George [Harrison] and John [Lennon] didn’t talk to us, but there was a reason for that,” he said. “They’d recently been caught with cannabis or something and were on bail. It’d been in the papers. Paul [McCartney] was apologetic about the concert and Ringo [Starr] joked about the whole thing, saying, ‘Don’t put the handcuffs on me!’”

Now 77 and retired, Shayler said the incident was so low-key that he “didn’t even put pen to paper to record it.” He said he didn't “think that I let myself down in the way I handled the situation, but I do look sort of severe. ... I blame the helmet.  

“Someone asked me how I felt being the man who stopped the Beatles’ concert – but I wouldn’t say that was true,” Shayler added. “I didn’t stop the Beatles. I merely suggested it would be a good idea if they didn’t carry on. If the Beatles had got stroppy or were determined to carry on, then things might have been different. But that wasn’t the way we worked in those days, and I always tried to resolve issues without arresting people.”

25 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I do like when Ringo does finally actually say something (that he wants something to happen), that means the issue is decided, and the other Beatles just accept it. Perhaps he's been the secret power behind the throne all along.

One of my favourite moments was Ringo playing  piano which I didn't know he could. Seeing him play boogie woogie style with Paul was simply amazing.

I'm 2h20 into this Jackson interview. The audio tapes were famously stolen by an Apple employee in the early 70s, heavily bootlegged and recovered in Amsterdam in a sting operation in 2003. But there were 10 hours of Nagra tapes that were never found, and nor have they made it to any bootlegs. Jackson realised that for cutting the film, Michael would have a black and white film with audio made of the rushes, and asked Apple for all of them, and so managed to recover 3 of the 10 hours of missing audio for the first time. The 7 missing hours must have been from days that Michael had already decided wouldn't make the finished film.

I was surprised to see George Martin there all the time from the point that they move to the Apple studio as I’d read he’d had very little to do with Let It Be. 

Also Billy Preston is awesome. He’s like a ray of sunshine when he joins the band. Pretty funny when they’re asking where he is and he’s doing a TV special for Lulu which has somehow taken priority over recording a Beatles album!

2 minutes ago, BongoInferno said:

I was surprised to see George Martin there all the time from the point that they move to the Apple studio as I’d read he’d had very little to do with Let It Be. 

There's one bit where a Beatle says something mean to George (basically putting him in his place) and I was shocked.

Billy had an interesting wiki page. Religion, drug addiction, childhood sexual abuse, closeted homosexuality, arrested for sexually assaulting a 16 year old Mexican boy, arrested for burning down his own house in an insurance scam.

Salman Rushdie was there. 

Watching Beatles: Get Back, you might form the impression that everyone at street level could hear the concert perfectly. That wasn’t true. We heard a sort of loud generalized music noise, without being able to make out what was being sung or played. It didn’t matter. I had never seen The Beatles playing live, and now they were up there! On the roof! It was very exciting. And then after maybe ten minutes it was boring, because (see above) I couldn’t really hear that much. I moved on, wondering (as one or two bystanders in the documentary wonder) why they were up there. They were The Beatles. They could have played anywhere. To choose their office roof seemed… odd.

https://salmanrushdie.substack.com/p/passing-by-the-concert-on-the-roof

6 hours ago, yakumo said:

John was on heroin(Due to Clapton introducing it to him apparently) at the time, and other drugs. Plus John was supportive of George, in one moment in when he trying to figure out a guitar part, George says “we need Eric (Clapton)” and John replies “No, we need George Harrison”. 

Also today its 20 years today that Harrison died.

Clapton, as if there's no enough to hate him for already.

18 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I’m reasonably confident that the theatrical version of this will be released at some point, but I for one am glad that it was extended into a series, because I want to see as much footage from these sessions as possible. 

In that 4 hour podcast Jackson was saying there isn’t a theatrical version. Basically he came to realise that you couldn’t tell a story in that time, you’d only get 5 minutes per day. The film they showed at premieres and things was his 10 minute pitch video he used to get funding for the project, one day of rehearsals / recording as is in the film, and the whole rooftop concert. But although people enjoyed it he didn’t think it was worth seeing, they just had to quickly put something together based on what they’d made for the tv show. You didn’t really have any context as to what was going on. 

It was possible but not planned that there would be an even longer version, as he thought he could find a couple more hours of good material. But Disney weren’t very interested in an extended directors cut blu ray, they didn’t think there was a business case for them, so Jackson smuggled a longer running time into the agreed 3*2 hour shows. 

5 hours ago, Graham S said:

Salman Rushdie was there.

Douglas Adams, on the other hand, was not there:

A friend of mine once had some studio tickets to see David Frost's show being recorded, but we ended up not going. I watched the show that night, and the Beatles were on it playing Hey Jude. I was ill for about a year. Another day that I happened not to go to London after all was the day they played their rooftop concert in Savile Row. I can't - ever - speak about that.

(That's from a Sunday Times piece he wrote for McCartney's 50th birthday in 1992, which was republished in The Salmon of Doubt.)

On a similar note, but actually fuck all like it due to me being a no one and the event being miniscule culturally in comparison, I was set to go to Spike Island to see the Stone Roses but instead chose to attend an illegal rave on Ainsdale beach on the same evening. It was supposed to have been a fantastic party the week before so I slithered off from my mates going to Spike Island and joined up with some other pals for a night of Ecstasy amongst the dunes.

No party, just police, Alsatians and helicopters. I spent the night fried out of my mind like Ray Liotta seeing copters everywhere and running and hiding amongst the bulrushes and sand dunes dodging skyborne torch beams and thinking I was about to spend the night locked up whilst having the horror on an MBS. We missed the last train home and spent the entire night in the dunes, I could see my fingers turn blue and fall off with cold in my altered state, terrifying. I'd lent my jacket to a mate see, before we left for the beach, on the proviso that he didn't try and give it back to me when we were hot and sweaty dancing to what was sure to be an awesome Spike Island beating event. The hysterical laughter from the group as I pleaded for my own jacket back whilst in the throes of hyperthermia still haunts me. 

The other group still dine out on attending the Roses gig, which is funny because they said it was shit at the time.

Oh, er sorry, yeah Get Back, no wasn't there either. Wasn't born. Fantastic doc though.

This is so fantastically self-indulgent, I think its only failing is possibly in how it was advertised to set people's expectations. Anyone with only a passing interest in the band and music is never going to be drawn in, it is a real labour of love unashamedly made for the superfans who will obsess over the detail. I was never really a massive fan of the music, but have appreciated it far moreso as I've gotten older, along with the global influence, but growing up on Merseyside and with both parents from Liverpool I couldn't help but absorb it in the background.

There's just so much you can take out of this, it's all the little nuances and interactions between them as they're chatting and jamming that make it for me. Anyone who has ever been part of an even semi-serious band will recognise the dynamics in discussions and tensions as songs are developed, rehearsed, trying to tell someone to play something differently or not to play is almost impossible without coming over as being critical.

I'd also wondered if maybe Yoko's presence had been overstated over the years, but she's just permanently there almost surgically attached to John's shoulder (Spinal Tap was so on the nose here!), it must have been so irritating for the rest of the band, you can see by this stage they are all *completely* ignoring her.

Only watched the first two episodes so far, looking forward to finishing it off tonight.

1 hour ago, christaylor said:

I'd also wondered if maybe Yoko's presence had been overstated over the years, but she's just permanently there almost surgically attached to John's shoulder (Spinal Tap was so on the nose here!), it must have been so irritating for the rest of the band, you can see by this stage they are all *completely* ignoring her.

She's an absolute menace, with all that paper reading and letter writing. 

Quick question but song credits, for example it states Mcartney/Lennon for Get Back, however, when we see Paul sculpt the song Harrison has help in creating the  chord progressions. So how come we don't see his name in the credits?. Another example is all the lead stuff he creates for various songs, surely that deserves to have a credit?.