IGNORED

The Beatles: Get Back - Peter Jackson Beatles documentary

JohnC

On 30/11/2021 at 23:06, christaylor said:

I'd also wondered if maybe Yoko's presence had been overstated over the years, but she's just permanently there almost surgically attached to John's shoulder (Spinal Tap was so on the nose here!), it must have been so irritating for the rest of the band, you can see by this stage they are all *completely* ignoring her.

Only watched the first two episodes so far, looking forward to finishing it off tonight.

On 01/12/2021 at 00:43, Steve McQueef said:

She's an absolute menace, with all that paper reading and letter writing. 

https://chaser.com.au/general-news/new-documentary-reveals-how-yoko-broke-up-the-beatles-by-politely-sitting-in-the-corner-while-the-band-argued/

New Beatles documentary ‘Get Back’ has been hailed by fans as a rare and important insight into the effect Yoko Ono had on the band. Pictured sitting silently on the sidelines as the band bickered about how they wanted to go their separate ways, Ono has been described as a divisive and toxic influence by fans.

“Look how she sat in the control room and read a newspaper while Paul was trying to over-rule George’s every decision,” exclaimed one eagle eyed fan. “You don’t seriously expect George to just sit there and take her doing a crossword like that, do you?”

“And notice how she said nothing when Paul McCartney complained about struggling to fill Brian Epstein’s shoes? Surely she should have stepped up right then and there and become a manager, shepherding the band into another decade of brilliant business decisions. Typical Yoko, only thinking about herself.”

Finished part 3 last night.

Spoiler

The final moments when the little studio room is buzzing listening back to the rooftop performance.  They're all together like one family, no knowledge of what's to come for the band, for their lives.  The last hurrah for The Beatles.  It's so joyful and sad at the same time.

15 hours ago, Graham S said:

As a desperately sad coda to the film, reading this for what happened next

FCC94FDC-E142-45AD-92AD-ECC149F3CA42.thumb.jpeg.2e44811b7b3f292a27e5a8b6cf150600.jpeg

to a soundtrack of Phil Spector’s Long and Winding Road / Too Many People / How Do You Sleep?

Spoilers: no happy ending so far.

Any chance of any spoilers please?.

9 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Around the time of the rooftop concert, John wants Allen Klein (featured briefly in the film) to manage Apple / The Beatles affairs. Paul wants his father in law to do it. They can't agree, and for the first time there's a 3 vs 1 split isolating Paul which is the beginning of the end. The two sides have an adversarial relationship that gets worse. Allen Klein basically takes over, clears house at Apple, fires loads of people, and it's only when he tries to fire Neil Aspinall that the Beatles intervene. There are also a lot of wrangling around the publishing side of things with a battle for control with other companies for Northern Songs (Dick James features in the film) and Paul goes behind John's back to buy shares but ultimately they lose out to Lew Grade, the impresario. They also miss out on the chance to control Brian Epstein's company, and the big share of the Beatles income that they are owed. EMI stop paying royalties until it's resolved. 

They do manage to record Abbey Road, my favourite Beatles album. John secretly leaves the group.

Paul loses control of Let It Be. The other Beatles get Phil Spector in to ruin The Long and Winding Road against his wishes. The Beatles try to fuck around with the release of Paul's solo album. Paul releases a bitchy Q&A and breaks up the Beatles publicly, and is pilloried by press and fans for the next decade.

Paul sues the Beatles to dissolve their partnership in the High Court and prevails.

All the Beatles fall out with each other at one time or another, and a lot of the book is the soap opera of that feuding and public slaggings. A lot of it is pretty horrible.

George is initially the most successful Beatle as a solo artist and runs a proto-Live Aid. Paul's solo efforts get slagged off and he becomes depressed, but eventually family life and music turn things around. John goes to NY, does drugs, gets political, gets into primal scream therapy, is in a bit of a state. Ringo is a bit lost, sells quite a few records, eventually alcohol takes a toll. The business issues seems endless. All of them are continually asked about re-unions but it never happens.

I've not finished the book yet.

Ultimately one Beatle is murdered by a crazed fan, another one is almost murdered by a crazed fan and dies not too long after.

Orson Welles said, "If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story".

Holy crap, I need to read this book ASAP. This is genuinely sad to read.

13 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Holy crap, I need to read this book ASAP. This is genuinely sad to read.

I would say that when it covers the Get Back sessions, it gives you a different, more relentlessly negative impression than the film did. I choose to take from this that even when bad things happen, there can still be a lot of fun and joy and love in between.

53 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I would say that when it covers the Get Back sessions, it gives you a different, more relentlessly negative impression than the film did. I choose to take from this that even when bad things happen, there can still be a lot of fun and joy and love in between.

Thanks, I be asking for the book for Christmas now. However, can I ask what did you mean by

The Beatles try to fuck around with the release of Paul's solo album. Paul releases a bitchy Q&A and breaks up the Beatles publicly

What did they exactly do?, also is the Q&A on TV tape to hear. For me I never got the hate for Paul, he was always one of my Beatles and its sad to hear what happened to him.

Just finishing up the third episode. Utterly captivating, and like others have said, fuck me how intensively creative was that three or four week period. Just seeing and hearing songs I’ve grown up with just forming out of little jams and hummed melodies and noises in the place of words. It blew my mind. 

And Paul’s hair looks lovely. 

I'm not a particularly passionate Beatles fan but I've been completely enraptured by the first episode of this tonight. There's something quite incredible about feeling like you're hanging out with these semi-mythical figures. I'm glad it's so long, it would be a much less immersive experience if it was more heavily edited down.

As said , this is intimate and when they are on it , the love they have for each other is plain to see. Unfortunately, like any great and intense love affair, when it breaks down it takes everyone down with it and the recriminations were awful.

It did remind me of a second hand Lennon anecdote that I heard many years ago...

My first job at 17, I worked with a guy (Stephen) who had been at Ruthin private school with Julian and was his best friend for a while. One day at Julian's , John phoned from New York ( which was rare by all accounts)... John asked to speak to his sons friend . He gets on the phone , a few pleasantries, then John asks him...are you a fan of my music ...Stephen says no, I like Abba. Big pause ......John " put my son back on".  It always made me laugh that little story .

11 hours ago, PK said:

I'm not a particularly passionate Beatles fan but I've been completely enraptured by the first episode of this tonight. There's something quite incredible about feeling like you're hanging out with these semi-mythical figures. I'm glad it's so long, it would be a much less immersive experience if it was more heavily edited down.

I think Peter Jackson and his team have done an incredible job. I would like to see all the footage they had unedited. I would sit through and enjoy every single second.

If there’s not going to be a cut down version of this put out, I might rip the files myself and have a bash at cutting it down. More for my own amusement and a little project to do over Christmas, than anything else.

I certainly wouldn’t be daft enough to do anything with it, the might of the Beatles and Disney’s lawyers mean it would never leave my house. 

But I can see a 2 hour version being possible. I want to see every version of Get Back they worked on, but I don’t think you need it to tell the story.

3 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I think Peter Jackson and his team have done an incredible job. I would like to see all the footage they had unedited. I would sit through and enjoy every single second.

Jackson said that a lot of it is various run throughs of the same track over and over. I get why a superfan wouldn't care but his editing is judicious here.

They should put this monstrosity in:

Some of Graham’s little posted insights led me to look at the Wikipedia page for Ringo’s first wife.

I wish I had just watched the documentary and left it alone. It leaves you with kind of a rosy sentimental feeling about the band. The truth is not so nice. Rings described himself as a wife beater… he had already cheated on her a bunch of times before she did the dirty with Harrison - John Lennon described that indiscretion as virtual incest, but seems like they were all at it?

Yeah, I've got to the end of that book now and it doesn't leave you with a nice feeling. But then I'm not sure what I'd expect from a book that simply recounts 50 years of court cases and negative stories in the press. Maybe best to just print the legend and presume that reality sits somewhere in between the two.

I’ve completed leg 2 of the Gorf King trilogy and watched Let It Be tonight. The first half is pretty miserable. It looks and sounds terrible and without context it’s like nothing is happening. Once the songs are worked up though it gets loads better. I much prefer Two of Us Let It Be and Long and Winding Road at the heart of the movie instead of an end credits afterthought, especially when I now read them as all being about Paul and John. And the rooftop concert is great. It works really well the way they’ve edited the police footage to tell the story somewhat differently than it really played out, and the crowd scenes are good too. The best bit is in the break of I’ve Got a Feeling when Paul and the guitars are squealing and it cuts to a middle aged redhead in horn rims shaking her head bewildered saying “I just can’t seem to make sense!”

And now I’m leafing through the coffee table book. 

Paul “Even a Tunisian amphitheatre can be boring. I don’t dig underestimating what’s here. You should get really close up, like right into one of John’s eyes. Can you do that?”

Michael “I just thought of going to Africa because we colonised it.”