IGNORED

The Beatles: Get Back - Peter Jackson Beatles documentary

JohnC

16 minutes ago, Festoon said:

It's partially because people have weird ideas of what a great drummer is, largely connected to the Ginger Baker, Buddy Rich billion-hits-a-second stuff when that's really more the drummer equivalent of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai.

I don't think that's necessarily a weird idea. There's all kinds of great drummers. Your Ginger Bakers, your Ringo Starrs, your Nate Smiths, your Jaki Liebezeits...all kinds of styles.

But of course you know that. Really I just wanted an excuse to post this:

3 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

I don't think that's necessarily a weird idea. There's all kinds of great drummers. Your Ginger Bakers, your Ringo Starrs, your Nate Smiths, your Jaki Liebezeits...all kinds of styles.

But of course you know that. Really I just wanted an excuse to post this:

You’ve given me an excuse to post this then, Art Blakey’s version of Night in Tunisia (from 42:42)

https://youtu.be/CX-Y-6kw8HU

I loved every damn second of this. So many amazing moments, but my favourite had to be George helping Ringo write Octopuses Garden. He was so encouraging and happy to help, something you get the impression he didn’t get from John and Paul. He even asked Paul’s help with lyrics to Something and pretty much got ignored.

Made me really want to Watch Anthology again, but doesn’t seem to be streaming anywhere.

6 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I loved every damn second of this. So many amazing moments, but my favourite had to be George helping Ringo write Octopuses Garden. He was so encouraging and happy to help, something you get the impression he didn’t get from John and Paul. He even asked Paul’s help with lyrics to Something and pretty much got ignored.

Made me really want to Watch Anthology again, but doesn’t seem to be streaming anywhere.

https://archive.org/details/the-beatles-anthology-1995-dvd/1+-+July+'40+to+March+'63.mkv

47 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Finished Ron Howard's 8 days a week, really disappointing with the highlights just clips of the concerts and more a basic summary. Still the whole Jesus thing and America with Lennon pisses me off, bloody Bible bashers. 

I feel like Scorsese's Netflix film about Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue was taking the piss of Eight Days a Week a bit (such as the Sigourney Weaver / Sharon Stone parallel).

17 hours ago, Bazjam said:

That's not true. Both John and Paul helped him, but to George's frustration they would prioritize their own songs before they helped him on his which pissed him off. For example, John helped with the lyrics on Taxman, Paul came up with the guitar solo. 

56 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I feel like Scorsese's Netflix film about Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue was taking the piss of Eight Days a Week a bit (such as the Sigourney Weaver / Sharon Stone parallel).

Thanks, need to watch this now after starting the Anthology again.

I recently heard an interview with Bernie Marsden (Ex-Whitesnake). I think he played in Ringo's All Star Band at one point. They were doing an early Beatles song with Zak Starkey on drums in rehearsal (Ticket to Ride or something. I can't remember). Ringo says to Zak "So that's how you're playing it then?". Zak says "Well show me how you would play it." Ringo sits down and gives it some Ringo. Bernie Marsden said "All of a sudden we sounded like The Beatles!"

Finished it this afternoon - stunning really. My main take-away is Lennon just talks in riddles - until you get one of his key phrases, and clearly at the start wasn't really into it until they moved studios. McCartney is the one with the majority of ideas though, and you can tell he knows music more than the others - "leave all the syncopation stuff to Paul" - John retorts when Paul's out for the afternoon. But with the whole group, its never been about who can play better or knows the most, it's just having the ideas.

Also the moment Billy Preston entered the room and then just lit them all up was brilliant

On Disney + there is also a series called McCartney 3,2,1 - where he talks about his music in a Blade Runner-esq room with Rick Rubin - fascinating stuff. I'd no idea Paul can not read music, or knows too much about it - he puts it down to just playing around with chords

I thought the series (for those that don't know Rick Rubin) was pretty disingenuous though not to introduce him or put his name in the starting credits. Rick Rubin is pretty bloody important y'know.

On 09/12/2021 at 14:17, K said:

There was always this idea / rumour / myth that Ringo was a really crap drummer. It seems to have dropped away a bit, but when I was growing up the accepted wisdom was that Ringo wasn't very good, to the point where I was really surprised when a friend of mine at university who played the drums said he thought Ringo was a brilliant drummer. I guess most people (including me) wouldn't know good drumming from bad provided it isn't crashingly out of time, but it's surprising how prevalent the idea was

I remember reading somewhere that tit stemmed from a Jasper Carrott joke in the eighties - "Ringo wasn't the best drummer in the world. He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles" - which got erroneously attributed to John Lennon, but according to this web page:

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/beatles/did-john-lennon-say-ringo-wasnt-even-best-drummer/

...it actually came from Radio Active in 1981. The research is credited to Tim Worthington, who knows his stuff about radio comedy. Weird how a not particularly funny but elegantly phrased joke from a largely forgotten Radio 4 programme could have such a wide effect.

My son plays drums and I asked his teacher about Ringo. He said that Ringo is incredible and came up with countless iconic drum beats. He also said that Ringo is left handed so his technique is odd which is part of the “Ringo is rubbish” perception.

I finished this yesterday, and thought the whole thing was an absolute joy to watch. I was completely absorbed for the whole four hours or so, and to be honest I really didn't expect that.

I've loved The Beatles' music for a long time, but I've never dug too far into their history. I knew about the rooftop concert for instance, but not about the circumstances surrounding it so that was cool. It was amazing to see them all just organically coming up with iconic new songs out of nowhere too, although it's also amazing that they managed to write anything when they seemed to spend most of their time just arsing around. :D

21 hours ago, JohnC said:

Not strictly Beatles, but George's My Sweet Lord got an official video for its 50th anniversary, produced by his son Dhani. It's a bit...well you'll see

I enjoyed that far more than I expected to. A bit cringe but the cameos / easter eggs are great.