Army of the Dead - Zack Snyder

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-returns-movies-zombie-pic-army-dead-1178979

Netflix are letting Zack Snyder loose on Army of the Dead. He literally says "There are no handcuffs on me at all with this one". It's a heist movie set during a zombie outbreak in Las Vegas. A group of mercenaries are gathered to pull off the greatest heist ever attempted, inside the quarantined zone. Visionary.

How much of DOTD has to do with James Gunn writing it though? Also at what point do you weigh the bad output Vs the good? After Dawn he made 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, Man of Steel, Batman V Superman, and some of Justice League (as well as shorts and music videos etc) and while people can argue their merits, 300 is the only film I can say I enjoyed and even then I haven't seen it in years.

17 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

That sounds like a incredible goofy and fun concept.

So in Zack Snyders hands it'll be a 5 hour long ponderous thing with a complete absence of joy.

This. ""No one's ever let me completely loose," the 'Justice League' filmmaker tells The Hollywood Reporter" If he was held back on Sucker Punch Christ only knows what we're going to get.

He makes terrible movies that I find utterly fascinating. He put a giant with lobster claws in the background of a shot in 300 for no discernible reason. He's like the Rob Liefeld of cinema.

I will probably watch this as soon as it comes out.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Turns out this had already finished filming and was in post, but it's getting reshoots, and I don't mean the normal variety. One of the stars, Chris D’Elia, has had sexual misconduct allegation made against him, involving underage girls. So they're replacing him with Tig Notaro, using greenscreen and CGI, which sounds like a recipe for success.

Apart from that change, it also stars Dave Bautista, Ella Purnell, Ana De La Reguera, Theo Rossi, Huma Qureshi, Omari Hardwick, Hiroyuki Sanada, Garret Dillahunt, Matthias Schweighöfer, Raúl Castillo, Nora Arnezeder and Samantha Win.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/tig-notaro-replaces-chris-delia-in-netflix-zack-snyder-zombie-movie-army-of-the-dead-1203013729/

• 1 month later...

https://deadline.com/2020/10/army-of-the-dead-lost-vegas-anime-joe-manganiello-christian-slater-vanessa-hudgens-cast-netflix-1234589479/

There will be an animated spin-off about the origins of Bautista's character and the first phases of the outbreak. As well as some movie actors, it'll also add Joe Manganiello, Christian Slater, Vanessa Hudgens, Nolan North and others.

There will also be another prequel movie. It'll be directed by Matthias Schweighöfer, and follows the character he plays in the main movie. And it seems it will be in German. Because they want to try out expanding an IP in not only other formats, but other languages.

• 4 months later...

That does look clearer, more colourful and less murky than 300, Sucker Punch and his DC movies. Let's check IMDb, see who's the cinematographer...

Spoiler

... it's Snyder himself! :hat:

2 hours ago, Broker said:

I wonder how homophobic it will be? I remember enjoying Dawn at the time but that aspect really struck me when I watched it again.

Why what happens? It’s been ages since I saw it. 

I was quite excited to see that trailer but it was pretty underwhelming. 

4 hours ago, Broker said:

I wonder how homophobic it will be? I remember enjoying Dawn at the time but that aspect really struck me when I watched it again.

Uh, what? I don’t remember anything like that from Dawn.