IGNORED

The Suicide Squad - James Gunn now confirmed to write and Direct - Summer 2021

Goose

7 hours ago, Timbuktu said:

Is this going to be free on Now/Sky Cinema like the Snyder Cut's in the UK?

Cinemas first. Depending on box office thresholds and a few other things, will pop up on premium VOD not too long after, then Pay TV next year.

That is assuming cinemas open as planned in May. Otherwise most distributors will skip them straight to premium VOD or sell to the highest bidder.

Technically, Zack Snyder’s Emo League was a TV movie, so bypassed normal release windows. Wouldn’t be surprised if it gets special cinema screenings in the future though.

4 hours ago, SonOfSoAngry said:

So Idris is playing a character who is essentially Deadshot but totally isn’t because he has a different name?

Nah you may be shocked to hear but DC has more than one character of non Caucasian origin they can use. 

3 hours ago, cassidy said:

Nah you may be shocked to hear but DC has more than one character of non Caucasian origin they can use. 

I was referring to the role the character is playing in terms of the dynamics, of the Suicide Squad, but sure. Whatever. I accept my statement was implicitly racist and apologise.

TBH I don’t know much about Bloodsport the comic character other than there was an issue of Superman (or action comics) where he fought a different character called Bloodsport who was a white supremacist. And one of them could teleport guns.

1 hour ago, SonOfSoAngry said:

I was referring to the role the character is playing in terms of the dynamics, of the Suicide Squad, but sure. Whatever. I accept my statement was implicitly racist and apologise.

TBH I don’t know much about Bloodsport the comic character other than there was an issue of Superman (or action comics) where he fought a different character called Bloodsport who was a white supremacist. And one of them could teleport guns.

Sorry I was a bit tipsy and extra sarcastic in my response. 

7 hours ago, probotector said:

Batman confirms she dies in the Snyder cut 

Which isn't canon. Although there is the faint possibility that DC will cave in to the dickheads calling for Snyder's return. I mean, he's already had two chances (three if we're counting the Snyder cut), so why not give him another shot at ruining DC's still nascent cinematic universe?

Also the post was responding to a tweet suggesting Harley might die in this movie, which she absolutely won’t. The Snyder cut only confirms that by the time of the bad future in the epilogue which might just be a dream Bruce is having she’s died, which realistically would likely happen after all the movies in the DCEU.

I'm getting the sense from the trailers that this is going to be close in tone to the Venture Bros. which is tremendously exciting. Something R-rated that leans heavily into enjoying the ridiculousness of the superhero/supervillain concept would be amazing.

• 1 month later...
On 09/04/2021 at 08:03, Broker said:

Also the post was responding to a tweet suggesting Harley might die in this movie, which she absolutely won’t. The Snyder cut only confirms that by the time of the bad future in the epilogue which might just be a dream Bruce is having she’s died, which realistically would likely happen after all the movies in the DCEU.

60B6642D-A17D-4EEF-9A04-31600D872DBC.thumb.jpeg.d07bf0665a9a06819061535ff9cfebbd.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Never ever been interested in Suicide Squad. Don’t like any of the characters. Can’t stand Harley Quinn or any portrayal I’ve seen of her. 

But then I saw this was directed by James Gunn and I saw the cast went beyond Elba and had people like John Cena and Capaldi in it. So I’m definitely watching it. 

27 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Can’t stand Harley Quinn or any portrayal I’ve seen of her.

The best Harley I've seen was in the Batman Live! show that came round a few years ago. The lassie who played Harley was great fun. I like her in the Arkham games too. I suffered through the first Suicide Squad once. I had no interest in Birds of Pray but I'll see how the reviews go with this.

Tbh my dislike of Harley Quinn probably goes a bit deeper than just finding her annoying. I dislike the suggestions associated with her character.

To me it appears she’s a multitude of mental health problems personified and then sexualised. Her dress style, hair colours, makeup etc are what define her and what people focus on, but in my experience there is an absolute connection between women suffering from conditions such as depression, bipolar, personality disorders, autism etc and unnatural hair colours, piercings, goth clothing etc. And I say this as just an observation and obviously my own personal desires. Not to mention the women in my adhd and autism groups openly talking about how about of depression is fixed by a drastic change in appearance. I think it’s pretty well documented that people seek these outlets when experiencing stress. 

I don’t know her back story. I know she’s obsessed with the Joker, but I don’t know if they’ve written in a specific mental health problem that she has. But I really, really dislike glorifying the external markers for someone who’s been through or is going through trauma.

Her creator could have made anyone good at weapons and martial art style fighting. So I’m annoyed they chose a mentally disturbed persona whose coping methods are sexualised. I find it pretty sexist as well. 

Okay, little bit of reading. “Harley was also inspired by a mutual female friend's "stormy but nonviolent relationship.”

I love how they said non violent to try and make it sound like everything else in the relationship was acceptable, and it was okay to glorify any resulting distress. 

Yeah, not cool. Especially considering she’s supposed to be infatuated with a person who treated her like shit and didn’t actually care about her. 

The original Harley Quinn cartoon had some stuff on her back story that was quite good I remember- how Joker manipulated her and gas lighted her. Obviously,  it was the 90s and a kids tv show so it was very surface level.

The new Harley Quinn cartoon has more about Harley dealing with the toxic relationship she had with the Joker.

Actually, not to go on about it, but it really reminds me of when I was younger and going out and stuff, and guys would frequently say things like “cheer up” or accuse me of not being fun when I was just my regular self (depressed and low).
So you had to act manic and “be up for a laugh” to be seen as attractive and be able to steer clear of their scary remarks, which were so humiliating in front of the other people you were out with. 

So yeah. “Let’s make a female super hero. But she’s only cool cos she’s mentally disturbed” leaves a super bad taste in my mouth.