IGNORED

The Suicide Squad - James Gunn now confirmed to write and Direct - Summer 2021

Goose

TSS is hardly subtle, but its focus on character is its strength. The plot is relatively perfunctory, serving the visual spectacle and character development, which is as it should be. With both this and GotG, Gunn takes characters you don’t know*,  imbues them with a soul and makes you love them. That’s the real strength of TSS. 

* I’m sure many people who read comic books do know these characters, I’m speaking for the general movie-going public who don’t. 

16 hours ago, Sabreman said:

My only concern is Gunn's inability to dial things back, which is why I'm wary of people talking about how funny it is. For me the biggest problem with Guardians 2 was his insistence on pushing almost every joke past its punchline, killing the subtlety and sharpness that worked so beautifully in the first. I think with a "Go crazy" mandate he'll just turn everything to 11 and hope that force of will overrides stuff like plot, character and tone.

I'm in a similar boat; I loved GotG but hated, absolutely hated the sequel. It was almost as if it had been mandated to have a joke every 15 seconds - and most of them weren't funny. I also found it lacked the heart of the first film.

21 hours ago, Sabreman said:

My only concern is Gunn's inability to dial things back, which is why I'm wary of people talking about how funny it is. For me the biggest problem with Guardians 2 was his insistence on pushing almost every joke past its punchline, killing the subtlety and sharpness that worked so beautifully in the first. I think with a "Go crazy" mandate he'll just turn everything to 11 and hope that force of will overrides stuff like plot, character and tone.

Well, Id personally say he doesn't have much problem dialing back the jokes on this one.  It's not GOTG funny and it's not GOTG2 try too hard to be funny, it's somewhere in between.

I just got back from seeing it and I enjoyed it but probably not as much as expected. The first half of the film is a bit hit and miss.  Some very good and surprising moments, and then some bits where it just missed the target for me.  The second half of the film (last hour) is where it feels more rounded and slick.  The action at times is brutal, some scenes are proper nasty and the humour is right there, hitting the spot.  My fear going into this was Elba would be his usual self, but he's good, he's very good.  He also has a fucking great helmet he wears!  Cena is quality too, genuinely funny in the way he portrays his character.  The rest of the cast are also enjoyable, Harley Quinn gets better as it goes on and she really turns up the fun in the last 45minutes.

Gunn has definitely got free reign in this, at times its absolutely bonkers but to be fair I was expecting even more!  

Far better than the first film and far better than nearly everything DC puts out, but still not up there with most top tier Marvel films for me.

I hate almost all things Marvel/DC but this is surprisingly decent with some great moments.

I don't and never will understand Harley Quinn. Utterly irritating, badly acted and ruins every single scene she is in. Tiny Tina from Borderlands.

Her aside though, very good for comic book nonsense.

8/10

A solid romp that while not laugh out loud funny, is engaging throughout. (The charismatic cast do a fair bit of lifting)

A huge leap from the original - although I'm assuming Elba's role was written for Smith until he didn't come back.

Bloody throughout (so much death played for laughs). Flags a bit towards the later sections and feels little overlong. While it's wildly subversive it's almost...too regularly subversive so starts' being predictable, or at least expected (If you see what my 1am brain means )

This is alright, I liked the 

Spoiler

accidental killing of all the rebels, and "Unclutch your fuckin' pearls"

Cena was really good though, I'm quite looking forward to seeing what his character's HBO series is like.

Yeah that was fun. Best superhero film I have seen in some time. Best DCEU film by a country mile. 

They even made Harley suferable for me. Which is a tall order. 

3.5/5

On 07/08/2021 at 00:04, Dark Soldier said:

I hate almost all things Marvel/DC but this is surprisingly decent with some great moments.

I don't and never will understand Harley Quinn. Utterly irritating, badly acted and ruins every single scene she is in. Tiny Tina from Borderlands.

Her aside though, very good for comic book nonsense.

Just want to say I competitive disagree. Margot Robbie is fucking brilliant and Harley Quinn is thoroughly enjoyable in the role. 

I thought this was up there with some of the best films Marvel have ever put out. Its so far above say Black Widow its insane. I can't see any superhero film coming close in awhile.

Even if you hate Harley she is barely in the first hour and its Idris who is chosen as the main character from the start and really runs with it. John Cena is a fantastic douchebag foil to him as well. Loved the ridiculous final baddie as well. 

If DC learn from this we could be in for alot of fun in the future.

53 minutes ago, Orion said:

I thought this was up there with some of the best films Marvel have ever put out. Its so far above say Black Widow its insane. I can't see any superhero film coming close in awhile.

Even if you hate Harley she is barely in the first hour and its Idris who is chosen as the main character from the start and really runs with it. John Cena is a fantastic douchebag foil to him as well. Loved the ridiculous final baddie as well. 

If DC learn from this we could be in for alot of fun in the future.

Hasn't made too much money so we'll see about that.

That was out before the pandemic really started to hit cinema in the west, in early February 2020. But its run was cut and moved to VOD early when cinemas were finally shut.

Plus this is R-rated, which hits box office (it did do the biggest numbers for an R-rated movie since Covid), and it's on HBO Max.

26 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Even allowing for that, I mean. As in, it's not doing great compared to Birds of Prey, which was another pandemic release.

Absolute madness. Maybe DC have found their audience with their po-faced stuff and this more fun and daft style doesn’t really work for them.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Absolute madness. Maybe DC have found their audience with their po-faced stuff and this more fun and daft style doesn’t really work for them.

I'd say it's just natural diminishing returns, to the casual cinemagoer, who didn't enjoy Suicide Squad or Birds of Prey, they see a trailer with the Suicide Squad (again) and Harley Quinn (again) and just don't get excited.

It's mad to me that they thought just bunging a The on the front would be enough to differentiate it from its predecessor for the general public. I,ve seen that done with other properties when they bring them back, but at least then there's usually decades between instalments not 5 years.

Mind you, I shouldn't be surprised from the studio that brought us the Birds of Prey naming clusterfuck.

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

Deadline have a write-up on how it did numbers wise, and it seems to have massively under-performed. Taking less than the first film and Birds of Prey.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/the-suicide-squad-margot-robbie-james-gunn-opening-weekend-box-office-hbo-max-1234810359/

I think the last Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander had the same problem - people were like, I've seen that and didn't particularly enjoy it.

I'd also like to see Robbie not endlessly stuck doing Quinn forever. She's a good actress.

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

I think the last Tomb Raider with Alicia Vikander had the same problem - people were like, I've seen that and didn't particularly enjoy it.

I'd also like to see Robbie not endlessly stuck doing Quinn forever. She's a good actress.

I don't think Margo Robbie hates doing the role though...

And Robbie is indeed ready to don Harley's signature pigtails again sooner rather than later, despite recent headlines that she needed a break from playing the character. "No, I've had enough of a break. I'm ready to do her again," she said. "I did Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad back-to-back, so that was a lot of Harley all in a one year period, but that was a while ago now. I'm always ready for more Harley!"