rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Colour out of Space - Nic Cage does Lovecraft

17 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

5. Protagonist faints at the worst possible moment. 

6. Lightning and/or explosion resolves predicament.

1 hour ago, The Hierophant said:

Re-animator is a good shout. 

I know now the Thing isn’t a Lovecraft film but it is pretty At the Mountains of Madness. 

I haven't seen From Beyond. 

Watch it, it’s fantastic!

I don’t think there is anything of At the Mountains of Madness about The Thing, unless you want to ascribe it entirely in the loosest possible sense, which as I detailed above I am no fan of.

It’s completely its own story, with its own source material. Or we may as well just start saying everything ‘horror’ is Lovecraft, because Lovecraft wrote horror.

• Upvote 1

Found out today Nicolas Cage is the same age as Keanu Reeves. Also learnt i share the same birthday as Leo Tolstoy, Colonel Sanders, and er Hugh Grant and Adam Sandler.

spending my time on this earth well

• Upvote 1

On 02/02/2019 at 00:52, kerraig UK said:

I'm so utterly made up about this. I know Richard Stanley personally and he really does get Lovecraft like few others. He also gets film and he also gets Cage. This has potential. 

It will require executives to get the fuck out of the way and it will require the money men to hold their nerve, but Stanley doesn't exist in a world of half measures.

Looking forward to it!

On 04/02/2019 at 11:11, Danster said:

Lovecraftian style for me has to tick certain boxes:

1. Arcane knowledge being used to try and benefit the protagonist, or at least for scientific enquiry.

2. The stirring of "great old one" powers, resulting in terrible things happening or madness or both.

3. The story often being related by a third party, investigating the protagonist, who then inadvertently follows the same path.

4. Horrors beyond the comprehension of human understanding.

Evil Dead II?

I just came into this thread to see if the thread title was including the u in colour to appease people who it will annoy seeing it on the thread listing. Color without a u looks more like colon, just not right.

Trailer is very good. And will be interesting to Richard Stanley doing something again. 

I love hardware. 

I saw this at Celluloid Screams last month and really liked it. It's not perfect but it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting/hoping for from a Richard Stanley Lovecraft adaptation and the last half hour left me properly dazed. Definitely go see it on the big screen if you have any interest in it at all.

• Upvote 7

On 07/11/2019 at 04:57, Goose said:

Looks pretty good - just beware there's a lot of footage

That veered a bit into "Nooo not the bees!" territory when they had Cage doing Brando doing Kurtz with his whispering of "The Colour....  the colour...". (i.e I'm no longer sure if they are taking their own film seriously)

This is available for rental on Prime at the moment. It is very mad but not quite as insane as Mandy. Has a few memorable Cage moments with Alpacas and a (presumably now patented) solo freakout. The surveyor character might also be the only sane character in it. Even the Mayor is a borderline loon.

But I think the true creepy thing bout Lovecraft is where characters see the aftermath of a human encounter with the old ones. That 2012 version, whilst rubbish, had a very compelling scene of devastation towards the end and this has the same sort of thing on a smaller scale but with some creepy recordings to go with it.

I didn’t love this. The pacing is off, and some of the acting is pretty bad, but it does look amazing at times. The big body horror moment is spectacular. And I hope this really is the rebirth of Richard Stanley’s directing career.

• Upvote 4

I’ve watched this twice now, and I really love it. Definitely has an 80s horror vibe going on which works really well. And it looks great. Especially considering that it must have had quite a small budget.

So good to have Richard Stanley back. I re watched the Lost Soul documentary the other night, he’s such an interesting and likeable guy.

• Upvote 2

Thought this was excellent. Picked it up on 4k, looks nice even without the hdr, which is a sad omission. Seen it twice now in a couple of months, even with nic cage being ott it excels on its own. Return to form for Richard Stanley.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Thought this was excellent. Picked it up on 4k, looks nice even without the hdr, which is a sad omission. Seen it twice now in a couple of months, even with nic cage being ott it excels on its own. Return to form for Richard Stanley.

Good to have him back.

This month's Fortean Times has a really good article by Richard Stanley about Lovecraft in general, the way the Cthulu mythos has entered popular culture, and a bit about the making of this film.  

One interesting nugget was that this is the first of three planned Lovecraft adaptations by the same studio. I don't think Stanley is making the other two, but there are two more in the works.  

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

This month's Fortean Times has a really good article by Richard Stanley about Lovecraft in general, the way the Cthulu mythos has entered popular culture, and a bit about the making of this film.  

One interesting nugget was that this is the first of three planned Lovecraft adaptations by the same studio. I don't think Stanley is making the other two, but there are two more in the works.  

I've heard him say in interview that he is making them. Really hope he gets to.

• Upvote 2

I was 50/50 on this. There is so much about it to love, and it’s often dazzling to watch, especially as this is a case of filming the unfilmable, but as @Monkeyboy mentioned above the pacing is all over the place, even during the conclusion - I nearly fell asleep at a couple of later points.

The final scenes with the mother were the biggest disappointment. The nameless dread of the book is just tossed away really. And the nods to The Thing are just too on the nose. ‘Hey! If you’re watching this, you like The Thing! Here’s some bits like The Thing that you like!’

I also think what disappointment I have mainly stems from Lovecraft being something more precious to me these days. If I’d have watched this as an unknown video pick in the Eighties the way I discovered Re-Animator I would be all over it, I’d think it’s a classic. As it is I’m expecting more.