Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

18 minutes ago, Broker said:

The season pass stuff looks shite though, have they changed how fast you level up?

They've changed the way it works entirely. Previously you just scored XP mostly based on time alive. Now it's from completing challenges. 

There's daily, weekly and persistent ones. The daily & weekly are random to you, so it's not like everyone has the same.

EG: Last night I had

• Deal 200 Damage in the Pit
  • Outlive 100 Opponents
  • Get 2 kills as Mirage.

My friend had:

• Land at Water Treatment
  • Get a top 3 finish as Wraith
  • Deal 750 Damage with Assault rifles.

You then have weeklies that are split into 2 types of reward. One that gives you XP to go towards leveling you up. Another that just bumps you a level. I had 3 games with no progression last night, then on the 4th I completed a load of challenges and jumped up 3 levels in one go. 

Last night I had an idiot go to the other side of the map on his own nearly every game. I rage-quit about 8/10 games because either they died, or I was knocked and they ignored me.

What's the matter with these people?

1 hour ago, Purin said:

Last night I had an idiot go to the other side of the map on his own nearly every game. I rage-quit about 8/10 games because either they died, or I was knocked and they ignored me.

It's really common and annoys me that Respawn wont make a Solo or Duos playlist. At least with Duos you have a chance of dropping a squad if you are alone. It's much harder to do vs 3 when you're alone. 

I had a game last night where I was jumpmaster. I marked landing spot, took us toward it. Other players both go in different directions. One is dead and disconnects as soon as he lands. The other lasts about 60 seconds, then spams the revive ping button. Nope. Muted the dick.

Annoying thing is I got to the final two squads alone. Up against a full squad of 3 by myself, there's practically no chance of a win. I managed to drop the shield off one guy, then they all lit me up and I was dead in a blink of an eye.

1 hour ago, Purin said:

2 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

They've changed the way it works entirely. Previously you just scored XP mostly based on time alive. Now it's from completing challenges. 

My friend had:

• Land at Water Treatment

Looks like that's going to get worse then.

I just bought the second season pass as I'm a fool.

Watching some streams, I don’t think they’ve done enough to attract most people back. Slight changes to map geometry, one new character, one new weapon and everything else is just cosmetics. Where’s solo or duo?

19 minutes ago, Broker said:

Watching some streams, I don’t think they’ve done enough to attract most people back. Slight changes to map geometry, one new character, one new weapon and everything else is just cosmetics. Where’s solo or duo?

Loads of new buildings & areas on the map.

Some old major areas changed completely.

New character. New weapon.

New accessories for pistols & energy weapons. 

New map tweaks like the caged fliers that give away your location.

An entire new ranked mode.

Loads of weapon & character balancing.

Loads of new cosmetics / customization stuff.

New season pass for those who want to buy it.

A free update to a free game? I'm happy with that. I would LOVE a solo or duos playlist. It would be a game changer for playing when my pals are not online. But I'm not unhappy with what has gone live.

Oh dear. I see they’ve taken the worst possible approach to challenges.

instead of ‘do 400 damage in a match’ or ‘come in top 5’ it’s ‘perform ninety two takedowns in a single match in bunker, while the rest of your team screams at you for peeling off from them right at the start and getting annihilated like a total bell end’.

45 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Oh dear. I see they’ve taken the worst possible approach to challenges.

instead of ‘do 400 damage in a match’ or ‘come in top 5’ it’s ‘perform ninety two takedowns in a single match in bunker, while the rest of your team screams at you for peeling off from them right at the start and getting annihilated like a total bell end’.

Some of them are crap, yes. Land in XXX can cause splits if you play with Randoms. Do 200 damage in XXX is annoying if you don't come across anyone in there. 

But there are good ones too. I've got one to do 7500 damage with Assault Rifles. I don't normally use them, so it's making me adjust my play style. Another was come in the top 3 as Wraith. I never play her, but did yesterday & actually enjoyed having to change up my strategy. I've also got some weeklies like "Get 25 Kills & get 35 knocks & outlive 300 opponents".

I think there is a good mix of challenges that encourage good play, encourage switching up your strategy & also (unfortunately) encourage squad splitting if you are with randoms. 

Can’t wait to get stuck back into this with the boys. My play has improved a lot, and it’s mainly positioning and competence but that has benefited from my aim improving and my ability to keep cool(er) in a situation and not panic. The scores of times I’ve been outplayed have taught me a lot. There’s still no cure for starting out with a gray shield, alternator, and prowler with no select fire and finding fuck all else though :lol:

i really like that the Elite ring is more or less instakill, it adds some real urgency to the proceedings and encourages a drop into the hot zone to test your skills immediately rather than going for a jog for ten minutes and then getting wiped. I had a great save the other day - @Polmon and I were leaving runoff via the redeploy and he got downed in midair by the ring. I made it out, healed, and then punched a tunnel to get most of the way to his Banner, picked it up, went Into the Void to avoid ring damage, back through the tunnel to safety with barely any health left. Then we immediately got murdered upon respawn :lol:

One thing I’ve noticed is that I am way better if I’m playing with super competent people. It’s not that I’m just mopping up after them, but more like if I am playing with good people I can trust them to have some of the angles covered while I focus on my opponents, so I’m less likely to get flanked or focused on. There was this one dude we played with the other day who was fucking deranged - constantly pushing, getting us into scrapes, flanking, murdering, having our backs. One can only dream. 

I may be misgendering the guy because he was playing as Pathfinder and the only sound that came down his mic was this weird mechanical buzzing every now and again. Perhaps we were playing with DeepMind or something. 

Played a game as Wattson last night and had mixed results. The best part was when a Bangalore sent an airstrike down and I used her ultimate to essentially shoot the missiles out of the sky. Not quite sure on how best to use her trip wires though. 

The second game I played someone else was Wattson and they basically barricaded us all in that new area The Cage as we camped out. Not exactly my idea of a fun time. 

4 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Best night in a while last night. 2 wins and 4 second places. They were hard fought wins too, not just ones where we lucked into it. 

Same as we had. The center of the map is great now for firefights.

15 minutes ago, macosx said:

Same as we had. The center of the map is great now for firefights.

The new tower is fantastic up on the edge of the valley. We managed to get up to the top floor with 5 squads left. Wiped two, split one and dropped from it to take the last. 

35 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Not quite sure on how best to use her trip wires though.  

Put them around jump balloons or gold death boxes. I saw a video of someone who got downed and an enemy wattson put a fence around them so they couldn't crawl out without getting injured, and their friends couldn't revive without getting fucked up.

I also saw one where someone had zigzagged them in a building, managed to punch someone into it, then stood behind the door so they couldn't get out.

• 1 month later...

The thing is, relatively successful is great when you're not being published by EA. But EA don't want the third most popular BR game, especially when it was, however briefly, top when it launched. If this was a more patient publisher then I'm sure it would be fine, but EA are constantly looking for more victims for the trench. As Jim Sterling often says, they're not here to earn some money, they want to earn all the money that anyone could possibly make from this type of venture. This is being compared to Fifa Ultimate team and whatever else brings them in the really big money, and given that the community around it doesn't seem to be growing or buying a lot of stuff it's not going to look good in comparison.

This was two months in: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-05-24-apex-legends-revenue-down-74-per-cent-since-launch

It's been three months since then, and EA haven't been publishing any figures.

8 hours ago, Broker said:

The thing is, relatively successful is great when you're not being published by EA. But EA don't want the third most popular BR game, especially when it was, however briefly, top when it launched. If this was a more patient publisher then I'm sure it would be fine, but EA are constantly looking for more victims for the trench. As Jim Sterling often says, they're not here to earn some money, they want to earn all the money that anyone could possibly make from this type of venture. This is being compared to Fifa Ultimate team and whatever else brings them in the really big money, and given that the community around it doesn't seem to be growing or buying a lot of stuff it's not going to look good in comparison.

This was two months in: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-05-24-apex-legends-revenue-down-74-per-cent-since-launch

It's been three months since then, and EA haven't been publishing any figures.

They seemed happy with it in the last earning call. Not fornite levels but its doing well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ea+earnings+call+apex&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB722GB722&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQgJKo3PDjAhWKZMAKHak9D_4QpwUIKA&biw=1920&bih=947

4 hours ago, Mugman said:

Broker:

Also Broker, after confirmation of a timed solo gamemode: 

He's been negative about the game the entire time. Even when they were releasing a big free update it wasn't enough. 

I played this a lot on my PS4 when it was released and enjoyed the first season a great deal. I stopped playing around level 30 something due to my friends wanted me to join them in another time consuming game. With the release of the new season, I'm back but this time on PC, which meant I started on a fresh account. Would any of the unlockable characters be regarded as essential or even avoided? After a few sessions yesterday I'm well on my way to have enough credits to purchase my first character but I've no clue which one to go for. 

Also, this game really rocks and I actually prefer this over Fortnite and Blops4. Whenever I just want a quick fix of intense action I prefer this over PUBG too as bouts can really drag out in PUBG. 

Has there been any talk about new maps for Apex lately? While I love the default map I wouldn't mind another map or two thrown into the mix, this is something I'd gladly pay for simply to have a bit of new areas to explore. Overall, I think this is a cracking game and I really hope EA will support it for a long time. How anyone in their right mind can complain about Apex is beyond me, it's a BR game that's up there with the very best the genre has ever seen and it's free. 

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

I played this a lot on my PS4 when it was released and enjoyed the first season a great deal. I stopped playing around level 30 something due to my friends wanted me to join them in another time consuming game. With the release of the new season, I'm back but this time on PC, which meant I started on a fresh account. Would any of the unlockable characters be regarded as essential or even avoided? After a few sessions yesterday I'm well on my way to have enough credits to purchase my first character but I've no clue which one to go for. 

Also, this game really rocks and I actually prefer this over Fortnite and Blops4. Whenever I just want a quick fix of intense action I prefer this over PUBG too as bouts can really drag out in PUBG. 

Has there been any talk about new maps for Apex lately? While I love the default map I wouldn't mind another map or two thrown into the mix, this is something I'd gladly pay for simply to have a bit of new areas to explore. Overall, I think this is a cracking game and I really hope EA will support it for a long time. How anyone in their right mind can complain about Apex is beyond me, it's a BR game that's up there with the very best the genre has ever seen and it's free. 

It's not up there with other BR's for me. It's about a hundred miles above them, and every time it needs to answer nature's call, Fortnite gets a faceful. This is the game that let me know that I could actually enjoy BRs, a genre I basically despised until Respawn came in and did their magic. (It's the gunplay - instead of feeling like I should be hiding, the whole setup of Apex encourages getting stuck in and racking up kills)

There'll likely be another map and more at some point given that it specifically says that it's loading King's Canyon, but no news or confirmation yet.

As for unlockable characters, they're all good. None are necessary, but they all bring their quirks - Caustic and Wattson for area denial, Mirage for misdirection and Octane for tons of fun.