Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

Feel free to add me - arealstrongboy. I play on both PC and PS4, and usually weeknights around 9pm (if work doesn't get in the way!).

On 17/03/2021 at 13:05, carlospie said:

I got 7 kills in a game yesterday after my dumb team mates ditched me at the start. Last round it was one v one and I bottled it and got killed. Pure rage. 

Got 3 kills and a win the other night on the new map, got carried by my teammate who closed out with 10 kills. I did get the chicken dinning kill though.

Last night with some rllmates we kept snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Like, two of us would go down and the last man standing would take out 2/3 and then get killed by the remaining enemy who would have like 1hp. Couldn't pull it together. And this is in bronze ranked so everyone is supposed to be as shit as us. They are not.

After popping my battle royale cherry on Fortnite a few weeks ago I decided to give this a try. I absolutely love it. Been playing for a few days now and managed my first win with randoms this morning.

My only criticism is that visually there’s a lot to digest. Fortnite, due to its much simpler art style, is very clean and quick to pick up. Apex on the other hand was quite overwhelming at first and now that I know what I’m doing I still wish they’d make the menus a little simpler... and that’s my only real criticism. Gameplay-wise I love it.

I only really enjoy this game while dropping into a hot zone tbh - nothing worse than looting safely for ten minutes and then getting ganked by the first squad you encounter. Especially if you had the advantage to begin with. So embarrassing.

24 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I only really enjoy this game while dropping into a hot zone tbh - nothing worse than looting safely for ten minutes and then getting ganked by the first squad you encounter. Especially if you had the advantage to begin with. So embarrassing.

This happens away, way too often to me.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

This happens away, way too often to me.

imo it’s way better to drop hot, find any old gun, try to survive the initial onslaught, and keep the momentum than it is to creep around until you’re looted to the teeth and encounter some team that’s been chewing it’s way through fools for fifteen minutes

Two wins on Olympus last night with a friend, proper sweaty moments at the end using our gas and air strike. 5 kills apiece in each game and a lot of knocks and assists. Pretty much every encounter one of us would go down and the other one would have to take out two fools singlehanded, there was a lot of enemy pinging and shouting going on

Apex tries to match teams against teams, which is a good thing. It does mean that playing duos with a friend can seem like a big jump compared to solo queuing with randoms, as premade teams are more organised and hence play a lot better.

The devs have never said too much about their matchmaking algorithm. It certainly takes skill into account, but not that strictly and there’s a fair bit of variety in terms of lobby skill. You can get a reasonable idea of the skill level of a lobby by seeing the champion’s stats and looking out for the number of fancy dive trails (awarded for achieving a high rank in ranked). 

I’m still playing Apex one and off since launch. Grinded to diamond 4 a few times but solo queue was killing me and my duo buddy doesn’t play much anymore. I’m always down for a few games if anyone wants to play. I can play ranked and sweat but I also don’t mind chilling in pubs or whatever.  

From what I can tell the matchmaking for normal public games is pretty good. I consistently get matched with people around my exp level and similar kind of badges. You do find the odd player that is really low level or has insane stats so they do include a bit of spread. It's worth noting that I haven't seen high level ranked players like Predator in normal public games for ages. In earlier seasons I would see them fairly often. I don't know if that's because my skill level has dropped, they've tightened up matchmaking or simply more people are playing the game (which is a fact), making it easier for the game to match you with a fairer lobby.

Aside from the quite annoying ring flares I am enjoying this season a lot, especially since they added Olympus back into the pool because everyone was moaning about being bored of Kings Canyon (I concur). The legend and weapon balancing is better than ever and the loot system is tighter. Evo shields make armour less of a game changer and crafting is a nice addition to grab those few items you need to be equipped properly. Even playing solo queue in trios has mostly been a positive experience, I am a bit of a veteran by now so generally teammates around the mid/upper levels are quite good and communicate with pings or voice, and don't always just quit as soon as they die or need respawning. I remember in the 'good old days' when people would just ping spam whenever they were downed or needed reviving, nowadays people either quit immediately or wait patiently until its safe for you to get the rez.

Had a few good games last night, one where a high level quit out on us as soon as he was downed, but me and my other teammate finished off 2 squads in that fight and after a lot of slaughter eventually made it to first place. We both had 9 kills (plus 3 for the guy that quit) but my teammate's damage was 3800 which was insane, compared to my 1600 or something! In another game me and a random got put in a duo in a trios lobby and managed to win a bunch of fights and claim victory with some excellent teamwork (with only pings for communication). Stuff like my buddy pinging where an enemy was camped, I would flank and he would attack just as I was drawing the attention, or him getting me a Digitial Threat and then deliberately putting down smoke on the enemies so I could go on the rampage with my R99 where I could see everyone with the infrared sight. Beautiful stuff.

And then off that success he invited me to a party and we played two matches of duos, where we got trounced. I've only played duos a few times and I'm terrible at it, I kept being out of position when my teammate was under fire and once one person goes down its a 2 vs 1. It requires a very different mindset and I think I prefer trios where you get more time to back out and more chances to revive.

Currently my favourite weapons are the Flatline, Spitfire, G7 Scout and Longbow, often with a Mastiff as my secondary. It may have been nerfed but its still deadly and great for building fights or when you are being pushed hard. Watching some pro games I also realised I have really been neglecting longer range scopes like the 3x or 2-4x and starting to use them has really helped with some of the weapons like the Spitfire and R301, at least once you get decent attachments. My advice is always give a 2x a go if its a midrange weapon and try out the longer sights if you get a chance. Just don't equip both weapons with a long range scope unless your weapon has good hipfire accuracy, its quite embarrassing to have someone in your face but you can only aim down sights at 3x!

12 hours ago, carlospie said:

How do you add people? My Xbox name is tyrdburgler but unsure if you can add me for cross play?

Good question, my friend on Xbox is very good and streams constantly but I don’t know how to join him

So since I abandoned Wraith and started using Bangalore I’ve managed to rack up 100 kills across two large play sessions. I don’t know why I neglected her before. I think I just didn’t like her costume. I think she has the most consistently useful abilities out of all the characters, and combined with her tiny hitbox and movement buff she has helped me survive duels even when I’m outgunned, outmanned, outplayed, and outplanned (yes I’m a Hamilton nerd)

I find duos to be way easier than trios for a couple reasons: you only need one teammate to not suck, 1 v 2 is way easier to survive than 2 v 3 or 1 v 3 (3 enemies’ focused fire will melt you in a second), it’s easier to get l00t, and it’s harder to get out of position. Plus, there are way more squads so it’s more chaotic and more opportunities to third party or escape 

13 hours ago, carlospie said:

How do you add people? My Xbox name is tyrdburgler but unsure if you can add me for cross play?

From memory - click on the little symbols where it'd normally say something like 'X friends online' and there should be a search option there somewhere. Type in their name and off you go.

Or join a club. The Rllmuk club doesn't seem super active, but I think I may have just been playing at different times. The activity chart does show people playing.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Can't use the club till I'm 10 on Xbox. Stupid non-cross platform bullshit <_< 

On the plus side, it has saved me some money. I grabbed a few silly outfits at those silly prices on PS4 just to show a bit of support and stopped dead when I found I couldn't take them over to PC. 

Overall though... what madness made them unable or unprepared to link accounts? I'm no expect, but a central account with a database of your purchase and play history's all they need, surely?

22 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Good news, the ring flares are gone. Nice idea but a bit annoying in practice, I wouldn't mind seeing them return occassionally but as an optional mode rather than a compulsory one.

I miss them tbh, broke up the map really nicely and confounded enemy teams constantly

I thought the small ones made for some nice variety, especially when they popped up to block a choke or push you out of position. The bigger ones on the other hand were not very fun. If you found yourself on the wrong side of one when rotating in from the ring, you could be stuck in the red for an insane amount of time and sometimes there was no way around it even when you knew where and when it was coming. Its quite weird without them, the choice is almost overwhelming on where you can actually go! :)

Official Apex winter championship playoffs for North America is currently streaming live on twitch and YouTube, I assume EU and Pacific will be following soon (or have already happened today). Watch on YouTube here:

Vods should be up tomorrow. These teams have already been through multiple regional qualifiers so this is the cream of the crop, should be good!

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/03/2021 at 00:24, carlospie said:

I’ll add you next time I’m on. 
I wasn’t sure who it was.