Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn Entertainment

I’m another in the camp of people who’ve never played worlds edge before and it seems shite. It’s one of the reasons I’m playing more pubs and arena than ranked. I don’t know if but it feels like there’s nowhere good to land, nowhere good to loot and nowhere I want the circle to close.

I feel like Valk is calming down a bit, I’m not getting her on my team EVERY time, had a chance to pick her a few times, killed a few of her and feel like I’m learning to counter her shit. 

World's Edge is really pretty decent once you get used to it, but they changed the palette to a darker more ominous look in Season 4 and smashed it up which was a mistake. It used to look like this:

Another vote for "Fuck the battle pass". And garbage this season. Still the game is rad and I'm looking forward to playing some more arena.

Here's a curious thing about cross progress and that; a couple of months ago Xbox Game Pass Perks gave you an N7 Mass Effect charm. Now as I'd linked the fucking shit out of everything because if you're giving one megacorporation your info you may as well give it them all, it turned up in my PS4 version. I'm sure it did. I'd swear blind on it. I checked the other day and it's not there any more. So what I think is Respawn and EA are telling porkies and it is a bit easier than they're letting on to merge your cosmetics.

Screenshot_20210508-133959.thumb.jpg.b6d514638c86af47e1f6bc5a5586e934.jpg

It's probably piss easy to do, but they're either being greedy or have certain legal difficulties in just opening it all up across all platforms.

If I redeem a skin on Twitch, the first account I log into (PC or PS, haven't played on Xbox yet) gets the skin and the other one doesn't. They definitely know what each account has, as they won't reissue the same cosmetic to another account that's linked.

Either way, it just means I don't buy any skins any more. I bought some nice skins to support them before, but that stopped as soon as I switched my primary machine and had to start from zero. I want my season 4 flatline skin back.

Edit: And yeah. While the battle pass is pretty cheap, you're investing a lot of time into it and about 80% of the rewards are actual garbage. Voice lines. Holo sprays. More fucking Wraith skins. Blue skins that nobody ever uses because they're just shitty recolours. 

At that developer event they did mention that Respawn Vancouver is now engaged in Apex work, so it'd be nice if that translates into more content both gameplay wise and reward wise. Probably won't, but nice to dream.

Were earlier battle passes more generous? This seems the same as the last one to me, a few gold character skins, a few gold fun skins, some blue skins that are better than the standard ones because they have nice patterns (often better than the purple skins astially as those mostly just have weird moving patterns on them. A few packs and a butt tonne of shitty trackers and lines and emotes and shit. I quite like the Japanese theme of the items in this one, they’re nicer than last seasons.

Not really more generous, but they'd often have something I wanted - the last one had some cool Bang and Lifeline skins if nothing else, and the one before that had a sweet adaptive R-99 skin. This one literally has nothing I'm interested in, and to see another Legendary Wraith skin while some characters have never had one in the pass is kinda taking the piss given how many she already has.

Rampart's is okay, I guess, and the Sakura design on Bangalore's L1 'freebie' skin for anyone who buys it is actually pretty good, but I was massively underwhelmed by the progression overall. Given that they've introduced emotes, I'm surprised none of those found their way in. Also, the Devotion skin at level 100/110 doesn't do much for me. 

On the plus side, if you do buy a battle pass and play through the whole thing you'll have 1200 crafting mats and enough apex coins to buy the next pass as well. I just wouldn't use anything that's on offer this time.

I guess as I’ve just moved over to xbox I’m happier with slowly accumulating nice skins for everything, I’ve not got a wraith one so I’m fine with that. It does feel clear that there’s a lot more for some legends though, I’m getting fuck all Loba stuff, there’s never anything for her in the shop, barely anything in the battle pass. It feels like it would be better if you just got a voucher that let you choose to get an item for that slot for whoever you wanted.

I also find it baffling how much of it is just never going to be available again. I know from when my kids were playing fortnite that there’s a weird idea that things should be special and exclusive, but I sometimes see people selecting characters with skins that are so nice I might actually pay for them, but I’m not allowed to. The selection of stuff in the shop is tiny and really weighted towards a few characters as well.

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

I guess as I’ve just moved over to xbox I’m happier with slowly accumulating nice skins for everything, I’ve not got a wraith one so I’m fine with that. It does feel clear that there’s a lot more for some legends though, I’m getting fuck all Loba stuff, there’s never anything for her in the shop, barely anything in the battle pass. It feels like it would be better if you just got a voucher that let you choose to get an item for that slot for whoever you wanted.

I also find it baffling how much of it is just never going to be available again. I know from when my kids were playing fortnite that there’s a weird idea that things should be special and exclusive, but I sometimes see people selecting characters with skins that are so nice I might actually pay for them, but I’m not allowed to. The selection of stuff in the shop is tiny and really weighted towards a few characters as well.

Yeah it’s lame. There’s a sick lifeline skin I want but it’s part of some pack that you have to pay SIXTY DOLLARS for

46 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Yeah it’s lame. There’s a sick lifeline skin I want but it’s part of some pack that you have to pay SIXTY DOLLARS for

You sure about this? The most expensive pack I'm aware of is the championship pack (Skins for Crypto, Revenant and (sigh) Wraith) and that's only $40 with all legends unlocked. She also has her own edition which is often £15 or less with 1000 apex coins and some nubbins.

Which skin is it, incidentally?

And @Broker I also fully agree on the 'exclusivity' thing. It's garbage. They should at least have them rotate back in every few months if the idea is to induce FOMO anxiety for panic buying. For most people, only getting one chance to buy the thing they want every few months would be enough pressure to get them to crack.

I too am underwhelmed by the BP this season. 
I still purchased it though. 
the fact that you can get enough Apex coins from the pass to buy the next pass is great, do any other games battle passes allow this?

I wish you could spend your Red currency on more things… I have loads and it seems you can only buy recoloured skins!!!

I bought the lifeline and bloodhound packs off Amazon for Xbox for £4.99 each. 

Red currency also allows you to unlock legends, not much use if you buy the champ edition or pay real money to get them though.

I think Fortnite also gave enough Vbucks to get another pass. Very much not a fan of Fortnite, so that'd need confirmation.

52 minutes ago, KYUSS said:

I too am underwhelmed by the BP this season. 
I still purchased it though. 
the fact that you can get enough Apex coins from the pass to buy the next pass is great, do any other games battle passes allow this?

I wish you could spend your Red currency on more things… I have loads and it seems you can only buy recoloured skins!!!

I bought the lifeline and bloodhound packs off Amazon for Xbox for £4.99 each. 

Yeah Fortnite and cod deffo do. 

Could you link me the packs you bought please?

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Yeah Fortnite and cod deffo do. 

Could you link me the packs you bought please?

They seem to be a bit dearer now. 
Bloodhound Edition is £9.50

and Lifeline is £12.99

Actually eBay is your best bet. 
Argos seem to be getting rid of them. 
Obvs Buy new and sealed as it’s a scratch card with a code with a disc with the apex install on. 

D9C43429-CC8A-46AD-A5CB-0DE3DA82A041.png

3 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

You sure about this? The most expensive pack I'm aware of is the championship pack (Skins for Crypto, Revenant and (sigh) Wraith) and that's only $40 with all legends unlocked. She also has her own edition which is often £15 or less with 1000 apex coins and some nubbins.

And @Broker I also fully agree on the 'exclusivity' thing. It's garbage. They should at least have them rotate back in every few months if the idea is to induce FOMO anxiety for panic buying. For most people, only getting one chance to buy the thing they want every few months would be enough pressure to get them to crack.

yes

4 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

8 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

yes

Glad that's cleared up!

I'm guessing it must be some in-game store thing I never look at or something.

50 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Glad that's cleared up!

I'm guessing it must be some in-game store thing I never look at or something.

:lol:

it’s a skin where she has shorts braids over to one side and a creepy white face mask on. Looks cool as shit

i kind of like the pixie cut one with the wings but I’m loathe to spend $20 on a 3rd choice character

I've been mostly playing BR mode and haven't found Valk to be too overpowered so far. She's pretty easy to hit in flight, her rockets are hard to aim and aren't too powerful, and her ult gets cancelled during chargeup if you take damage, plus it raises you out of cover as I learnt to my chagrin yesterday and took a Kramer to the gob for my trouble!

I've only used her a few times and found that flying around in fights generally just gets you killed, but its a good tool to get on roofs. I mostly I find her jetpack to be amazing for scouting or getting the jump on people in what they think are safe positions. Her ult is brilliant and let's you hug edge of zone and just leapfrog the teams ahead. I've been using it to get the team out of fights that are horrible or as a good way to escape after grabbing a banner. Just remember you need clear skies to use it, Olympus centre has a lot of giant roofs which can scupper your airdropping plans.

I had a pretty annoying get 2500 damage with shotguns in Arena challenge to do, so just bit the bullet and went into Arenas buying a Peacekeeper every round. Results were mixed but its amazing practice and I highly suggest if there's a weapon you want to get better with, just hop into Arena and use it again and again.

Its a shame Olympus has changed so little, I'm quite bored of it now and ranked is too slow paced for my liking. I wish they'd had the resources to make the vines and fleet take over a quarter of the map instead of a tiny sliver. As the new addition only takes up a tiny slice you have to choose to go there rather than naturally passing through it on a normal rotation. Most fights around there happen in Solar Array at the ship's front instead.

I like Worlds Edge but I agree the colour palette is horrible and depressing since it got battered. Conversely I'm loving the new sunny Olympus look.

Ps talking of skins, where do you get the Wraith skin with the red cloak and golden cat face? It's by far my favourite.

40 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

:lol:

it’s a skin where she has shorts braids over to one side and a creepy white face mask on. Looks cool as shit

i kind of like the pixie cut one with the wings but I’m loathe to spend $20 on a 3rd choice character

Ah! That one first appeared in the Iron Crown event back in season... 2? I'll post a shot just to confirm, though it might also be a variant recolour. (The 2nd anniversary had a lot of those)

Lifeline.thumb.png.61bc20a473ead33b58636c378638e399.png

I actually have this one, and it may well be my fave for her, but it's on my PS4 along with most of my good stuff. :(

The Pixie cut / wings is her Lifeline Edition skin? If you were interested, you could probably get that for about £4-£6 from the ebay/Argos links Kyuss posted above depending on which platform you're playing on. It'd also give you 1000 Apex coins along with it to buy something else that took your fancy, as well as a half decent flatline skin if I remember correctly.

@Alan Stock The Wraith cat skin was only available during the 2nd Anniversary, a recolour of a white version that came out during an event. The Aftermarket one I thi... yeah, the Aftermarket one. https://dotesports.com/apex-legends/news/all-the-new-skins-coming-in-apex-legends-aftermarket-event

They do show back up, but rarely. As Broker said, it's a pain in the ass to see good skins disappear for around a year if you happen to miss them.

I like to give Respawn something every once in a while but as stated before in this thread, the current Battle Pass is oddly terrible. Feels like it was cobbled together with no design flair evident. 

2 hours ago, vezna said:

I like to give Respawn something every once in a while but as stated before in this thread, the current Battle Pass is oddly terrible. Feels like it was cobbled together with no design flair evident. 

Tbh I’ve never really cared for any of the battle pass stuff in any season. There are occasionally cool skins but like who cares, you rarely see your character anyway. I just play the game because I like it. I bought a Wraith skin with money once

32 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Tbh I’ve never really cared for any of the battle pass stuff in any season. There are occasionally cool skins but like who cares, you rarely see your character anyway. I just play the game because I like it. I bought a Wraith skin with money once

I like unlocking stuff. Gives me something to aim for beyond improving at the actual game. 

I think that the battlepass and daily challenges give the game some targets or aims. Forces you to play as all the characters and use all the weapons, etc. 

The other bits, I'm not so bothered about. The skins are the best bit, but I wouldn't pay money for them, I don't think. 

I got kinda burnt out on one of the season passes but I just picked up the latest one, I've bought and completed 3 of them.

I think the yellow coins to buy a new legend, a cheaper skin or the next battle pass are worth aiming for, as are the crafting mats as those things give you choices. I get that people who are 9 seasons in probably have plenty of that stuff though.

I guess it’s like PUBG, where after a few battle passes and a tonne of free crates you’ll have enough stuff that it would need to be things you actually like to attract you. 

Our crew jumped back on for the new Season and immediately jumped back off, and we loved this game  and played it nonstop till about season 4, where I feel the game changed. You spend 10 minutes looting without seeing anyone then die quickly because the TTK is so quick.

This game is hilarious sometimes. I had a daily to out survive 200 people, and having done 120 playing normally I figured I’d drop in solo and just hide for one game. I picked Wraith (for running away purposes), landed miles off the path, got myself some stuff and slowly moved in with the ring. Ended up with 16 people alive over six squads, so I went looking for people but everywhere I went it looked like a fight had just finished. Eventually there were three squads left and I heard shooting, so I ran there to avoid ending up in a 3 on 1.

There was a full squad fighting two people, one of whom was knocked, with one knocked on their side, so I heroically shot them all in the backs, killed the guy who was downed, and wiped the squad of three. That left me 1v1 against the last person, who came wandering over a few minutes later after everyone else in their squad and the one they were fighting was dead. Voided up on them and shot them point blank in the face :lol:

513E2884-8348-467A-97E4-E7AC9C668FF5.thumb.png.0730ab591591ce962726f32899ea954f.png