IGNORED

Rllmuk Game of the Year 2019 predictions

Benny

Now we have the definitive list, what's your predictions for 2019?

My money is on Cyberpunk 2077 just sneaking in by Christmas to win the 2019 awards and be hailed as the best game ever made. Half the forum will hate it for being too hard to control or FPS-y or keep telling everyone that cyberpunk sucks now as a genre.

The sleeper hit/forum darling (think Astro Bot) will be Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Shenmue 3 will be great but will miss 2019 and come out in January.

DoomEternal will make the list but won't be as good as the original, and will have fallen victim to some sort of controversy. It will win the Best Audio category.

Anthem will win the Most Disappointing category, followed by Dreams. Shenmue 3 will feature somewhere for missing 2019.

Everyone will have forgotten about the Resident Evil 2 remake.

There's nothing that sticks out for me but Sekiro is likely to be great. 

Not really my genre but I expect Doom Eternal to build on everything that made the last one great. I'm just waiting for the soundtrack.

Mortal Kombat 11 might be great; looks like an improvement on the last game and I don't know if we'll see another fighting game to rival it this year.

I hope Dreams is as good as it seems. If it's as versatile as players' creations made it look then it might be amazing.

I'm looking forward to the new Fire Emblem but I don't expect to be blown away by it. I will still very much enjoy it I'm sure.

26 minutes ago, Benny said:

The sleeper hit/forum darling (think Astro Bot) will be Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Dunno about sleeper hit - I'd say Sekiro is pretty much the most anticipated title of 2019, it is for me certainly.

TLOU2 would have to be up there along with Ori 2 - although platformers represent more of a niche interest for most. Crackdown will be critical for Microsoft, likely the last 'big' release for them this gen. You have to imagine that without something resembling a strong finish this gen they'll be sunk next gen. 

Sekiro should be top for me at least. If not then either something's gone wrong with it or something else has been surprisingly magnificent.

Other than that I think Resi 2 could be up there (not played it yet), and perhaps an outside shot for Spelunky 2 (although not releasing on Switch could scupper its chances).

Not sure what else will make the end of 2019 of course.

34 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

You have to imagine that without something resembling a strong finish this gen they'll be sunk next gen. 

Hardly. They're seriously starting to leverage cross platform.

What should be game of the year 2019: Slay the Spire.

But, since the forum has impeccably bad taste and a From Software fetish - it'll be Sekiro. Failing that, since we Hate Games and want Interactive Movies, TLOU2.

3 hours ago, footle said:

Hardly. They're seriously starting to leverage cross platform.

What should be game of the year 2019: Slay the Spire.

But, since the forum has impeccably bad taste and a From Software fetish - it'll be Sekiro. Failing that, since we Hate Games and want Interactive Movies, TLOU2.

Uh-huh. From software represent bad taste, TLOU is an 'interactive movie' and Microsoft leveraging cross platform will save them. Searing insight as ever. 

Honestly, I hate this.

Game of the Year used to be a bit of cheapo content to pad out mags over the period everyone was on holiday, now among the industry it's increasing in importance and penetration, every time a good game comes out you get a post-release discussion of its game of the year merits, and now we're in fucking February discussing something for December.

Who gives a shit about imaginary awards?

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Who gives a shit about imaginary awards?

I dunno, I think it's a good excuse to celebrate the best examples of the medium and highlight titles that people may have missed out on.

Some disjointed thoughts:

- RDR2 will end up on the top lists again (Including my own), because I'm pretty sure that a PC version will be released precisely after the fiscal year has ended for Take 2, and will blow everyone's balls off simply because it will tax graphics cards up until next gen and let people run a mod that makes the controls less shit.
- Things I'm certain I will enjoy as long as they're out this year: Metal Wolf Chaos XD, The Division 2, Doom Eternal, The Outer Worlds
- Things that I'm hopeful for: Rage 2, Left Alive, Sea of Solitude, Skull & Bones, Daemon X Machina
- IF Dying Light 2 or Cyberpunk is out this year, they will probably break the awards. They're probably not, though.
- Path of Exile and/or Warframe will show up in my voting at some point because they're both expected to drop massive amounts of content. As usual.
- The 'Biggest Disappointment Award' for myself will likely be along the lines of 'Bungie releasing drip-fed shit for the rest of Destiny Year 2/3 while they sign up to Tencent for another cash injection'